Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I can't imagine there's more than one person going by kevbarlas putting a 1UZ in a Ford Thames - there's updates as recently as mid-2020 here and if search is to be believed that's at least two years newer than his last posts on these dead forums.

Oh, cool. A kid will steal all the time you used to have.
Van looks about the same there, but with a bit of new wiring. Wonder if he got anything done in '21?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
I think SoCal AI needs to rekindle at a cars and coffee soon - I've been going to an LA one now and really enjoying it. It also helps that I'm no longer militant about other enthusiast any other cars aside from my old bullshit cars :smug:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Dammit, my wife is headed to SoCal in a few weeks; I can’t take the time right now. You bet your butt I’d be at cruise night if I could.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Suburban Dad posted:

Interesting stroll down memory lane here. Lots of good content over the years and also lots of weird poo poo.

I miss PBCrunch's threads and was sad to hear about PaulBoz. :(

wesleywillis posted:

PBcrunch I think he was. I was going to bring that one up myself. His neighbor was a mechanic too, so they'd team up and fix a bunch of poo poo, clean the gently caress out of the cars and sell them.

E: Also, DID FROZEN PHIL EVER FINISH THAT GODDAM CAR?

I just noticed this thread this morning. These quoted posts are from the great year that was 2020, but better late than never.

Like many others that left this forum and later returned, I had an offspring. My wife and I have a five-year-old daughter.

I mostly quit buying and selling used cars after I bought a Mazda Protege advertised with a blown engine that I thought I could get running again with a new timing belt. The engine actually was blown. I eventually fixed and sold the car, but it kind of took the fun out of things for a while. Around that time I went back to school and that took most of my time for a while. When I was taking organic chemistry classes I was spending like 40 hours per week just on that. I graduated with my BS in Bioinformatics in 2016.

When my wife found out she was pregnant I was working a couple of part time jobs that I could do from home (pre-pandemic nerd stuff). It was important to us that our daughter spend her first few years at home with someone who loves her, so I stayed home with her until last year. After a while, one of the part-time jobs evaporated, and then the other one did, too. After a little looking I got a job doing nerd stuff full-time, still from home. In my time as a layabout stay at home dad, my hobbies kind of gravitated towards woodworking, small home improvement projects, and home automation.

So in my new nerd-stuff job I sometimes a couple minutes to kill in between other tasks, so I have back on AI the last couple months. My five-year-old likes it when the back end swings out when we drive in the snow and she likes to watch in-car camera videos of hill climb races first thing in the morning, but that is about the end of her interest in automobiles.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

PBCrunch posted:

When my wife found out she was pregnant I was working a couple of part time jobs that I could do from home (pre-pandemic nerd stuff). It was important to us that our daughter spend her first few years at home with someone who loves her, so I stayed home with her until last year. After a while, one of the part-time jobs evaporated, and then the other one did, too. After a little looking I got a job doing nerd stuff full-time, still from home. In my time as a layabout stay at home dad, my hobbies kind of gravitated towards woodworking, small home improvement projects, and home automation.

So in my new nerd-stuff job I sometimes a couple minutes to kill in between other tasks, so I have back on AI the last couple months. My five-year-old likes it when the back end swings out when we drive in the snow and she likes to watch in-car camera videos of hill climb races first thing in the morning, but that is about the end of her interest in automobiles.

I had a very similar arc, except substitute teaching college composition for nerd stuff. I also picked up woodworking, and I'm gearing up to convert the 3rd bay of my garage to a woodworking shop, with a modular design allowing it to quickly take up 2 of the 3 bays to work, while quickly closing back into 1 bay to park a car.

It's interesting to be contrary to common culture. Any number of times when I was out, someone would comment "Oh, day out with Dad, huh?" and I'd think to myself "No, it's Tuesday." People in general have a pretty rigid definition of norms.

But there are other ways to work and raise a family. And it's interesting to watch AI age.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

You think you get some looks for stay-at-home dadding today? My dad was raising three kids while our mom was at work back in the 80s! He was the ONLY man at just about every school meeting that happened during the day. He had a very serious knee injury while working for Burlington Northern and later re-injured it in a motorcycle accident before I was born, so he was on disability. My mom worked for the post office as a letter carrier from the time I was in first grade until a few months ago when she retired. The beginning of her time as a letter carrier netted her some questions from people about the concept of a female "mailman."

I did think it was fun to usually be the only man at the public library story time in the before-fore times. I got more attention from kids that weren't mine than anyone else in the room other than the librarian reading the stories.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 3, 2022

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

PBCrunch posted:

You think you get some looks for stay-at-home dadding today? My dad was raising three kids while our mom was at work back in the 80s! He was the ONLY man at just about every school meeting that happened during the day. He had a very serious knee injury while working for Burlington Northern and later re-injured it in a motorcycle accident before I was born, so he was on disability. My mom worked for the post office as a letter carrier from the time I was in first grade until a few months ago when she retired. The beginning of her time as a letter carrier netted her some questions from people about the concept of a female "mailman."

I did think it was fun to usually be the only man at the public library story time in the before-fore times. I got more attention from kids that weren't mine than anyone else in the room other than the librarian reading the stories.

Good for you. Glad to see you back, even just a couple of posts. We're all getting older, having kids, etc. If I could, I would absolutely be a stay at home dad. I love the time I spend with my son, and wish there was more of it.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Staying at home during pandemic and now the subsequent work from home stuff we're doing now has been a real double edged sword for my family and I - On the plus side, I get to see just about everything that happens with my lil one, steps, talking, learning the word now, advancement of speech, curiosity, toddlerhood.. its amazing. I look at pics on my phone of what seems like last week, hold the photo up to compare and I literally get to watch him growing physically and mentally. The downside is that my wife and I are at each others throats - she sees everything I do with him, and I see everything she does with him and a lot of times, those two dont add up. Overall we're on the same page with nearly everything, but its kinda turned in to good cop/bad cop - where I'm tasked to do things that he doesnt like, like... bathtime... sleep time... wordrobe change.. you know, the things that no kid likes to do - anyway when I speak up about me ALWAYS having to do those tasks and him running towards mommy when I enter the room in the evening... gets a bit tedious "BUT I NEED THE HELP LOBSTERBOYX" - no, im not denying the help, I'm just asking to do tasks that involve him having fun with me rather than things that he doesnt like.

as with most kids, hes a picky eater, but when I enjoy food and say "MMMMM" or "delicous!" he copies and eats his food- when she tries to copy that.. she gets the cold shoulder - I guess its dads job to show a little man how to enjoy his food.

again, total double edge sword: getting to see your kid grow vs. two cooped up adults getting in to spats... I'm good with it.

Edit: this makes it worth it:

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 3, 2022

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Gotta meet em' at their level. Make the tasks fun by having fun with the tasks yourself. Kids wanna have a good time, gotta chase that dopamine. If you're having a bad time they're gonna have a bad time with ya. Mom's having a bad time doing the hard poo poo? I think the kinda what I'm hearing. So if that's what you're seeing say "ok, let's take the load off her and show the way a bit". Only answer I know is to lead and it really won't feel so lopsided if you can achieve making it fun for yourself. The key to that is getting the kid interested in your fun, it'll feed itself from there. Master what I'm getting at here; Make it so fun the wife wants to be part of everything too, and you fix everything.

And really, it's not about what we're doing so much as who we're with.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

I've noticed you came back, it's good to hear you're doing well!

I think I speak for all of AI when I say that I thoroughly enjoyed your car flipping, but I also have full understanding that it had its time, and couldn't go on forever.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

bolind posted:

I've noticed you came back, it's good to hear you're doing well!

I think I speak for all of AI when I say that I thoroughly enjoyed your car flipping, but I also have full understanding that it had its time, and couldn't go on forever.

Yeah, and current market conditions make it pretty difficult.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

Then there was my personal experience, in Adabiatic’s thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812091

this blew my mind at the time. Man, Adiabatic was a good mod. His "don't post about politics" bugged me at the time but if only I had known how insufferable the forums would become with politics in loving everything. Dude was right.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
This thread's been a wild trip down memory lane, and it's great to see a ton of the old names posting again. I feel like a stupid kid driving a crappy car and having no idea how to do anything all over again. :allears:

Actually I still am stupid and have no idea how to do anything, but at least I'm old now!

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Bumping an old thread but this was a fun read. Glad to see the old crew posting again. I've primarily lurked AI since 2003 (holy poo poo) and posted sporadically about my misadventures with the Elise and other things. When I had kids I was very much in denial about how little time I'd have for my car hobby (or anything really). Hell I've put off responding to this thread for over a month.

I started using SA a lot more a couple years ago when I realized it was one of the last places on the internet that wasn't trying to siphon all of my personal data and was generally filled with like-minded people.

Also, I do remember finding Das Volk to be an rear end in a top hat and laughed heartily when he spent thousands of dollars on an intake and exhaust for his E92 M3 and the dyno showed no gain. Probably shouldn't be surprised that he is a racist nazi.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Bumping an old thread but this was a fun read. Glad to see the old crew posting again. I've primarily lurked AI since 2003 (holy poo poo) and posted sporadically about my misadventures with the Elise and other things. When I had kids I was very much in denial about how little time I'd have for my car hobby (or anything really). Hell I've put off responding to this thread for over a month.

I started using SA a lot more a couple years ago when I realized it was one of the last places on the internet that wasn't trying to siphon all of my personal data and was generally filled with like-minded people.

Also, I do remember finding Das Volk to be an rear end in a top hat and laughed heartily when he spent thousands of dollars on an intake and exhaust for his E92 M3 and the dyno showed no gain. Probably shouldn't be surprised that he is a racist nazi.

Hey! I remember all the Elise craziness. Glad you're still around. Kids... yeah. Totally worth it, but the time just disappears.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

sharkytm posted:

Hey! I remember all the Elise craziness.

I should have bought it when I was thinking about it. :(

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

sharkytm posted:

Hey! I remember all the Elise craziness. Glad you're still around. Kids... yeah. Totally worth it, but the time just disappears.

Yep, 100% worth it. My kids go through phases of wanting to go fast in the car and hating it. One wants to do donuts in the car, the other doesn't. :)

Mildly off topic but I've been meaning to post a thread to have an AI goon meet in the Phoenix area. I think there are a couple of us? My two local car nerd friends kind of suck so I need to expand my horizons a bit.

meatpimp posted:

I should have bought it when I was thinking about it. :(

My Elise or one like it? I think I was mulling selling it for a while but I can't remember how vocal I was about it. It's a shame that I wrecked it; I never got back into track days once I met my wife and had kids but I think about it all the time. Taking a whole day or a whole weekend off from the family for a track day seems incredibly selfish now. Hopefully that gets better with time.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

LobsterboyX posted:

That was a glorious car - my wife drove that primarily while we were in college. at 5' tall and weighing 115 pounds at that time, she was quite a sight in that big rear end boat.

Her dad bought the car for nothing.. I can't recall how cheap but it was comically cheap because it had some issue that the previous owner couldn't figure out. So once Mrs. lobsterboyx dad got the car, a few trips to the parts store later and the car was dead nuts reliable - by the time Fleetwood got a hold of it, he made the weekly drive from the OC to the valley for a weekly meeting of the Deviled Eggs Car Club. there was a lot of drinking going on back then- the guests at Fleetwoods wedding were not thrilled to hear me talk about it either.

word....

behold the motorola razr photo!

in good times:

I was completely out of control...

I don't really post on these forums any more and I think hardly ever in here in the first place, but I found this thread by chance and man I am really happy to see those photos again. I really liked that pedal bike you were restoring, too. You seemed like you had a pretty great time doing your thing and from an outsider's perspective it all seemed very chill which is pretty aspirational, especially what with us all now living in the hellscape. Glad to see you're doing ok. I always thought the grief Syfon got for his photos was amusing given that pretty much all Collector Car Instagram is those kinds of photos now.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

I can’t be arsed to go back through the thread but Syphon was the guy that would say the cars were his but they were really his parent’s cars, right?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I can’t be arsed to go back through the thread but Syphon was the guy that would say the cars were his but they were really his parent’s cars, right?

350z never forget

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

He also had the 'syf0n shot' that was basically level with a headlight, aimed down the side of the car.

I remember when that was almost obligatory in all 'I bought a new car' posts.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

echoplex posted:

I always thought the grief Syfon got for his photos was amusing given that pretty much all Collector Car Instagram is those kinds of photos now.

And that's the paragon of taste...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Syf0n was already a meme when I joined I think but I never really got the big deal about the photography. Whatever. Fighting with your brother on the forums -- ehhh

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Syf0n was already a meme when I joined I think but I never really got the big deal about the photography. Whatever. Fighting with your brother on the forums -- ehhh

It was mostly his better-than-thou attitude in general, combined with the navel-gazing photos, that made him the object of our jokes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I NEED TO MOVE MY* PORSCHE 911 OUT OF THE WAY BEFORE KATRINA

*mom's

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Hahaha I thought that was him. Did anyone find out where he ended up?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Obligatory:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

His photos were mostly crap at the time that someone with a Canon 20D and a decent lens could easily replicate, coupled with his "holier than thou attitude because I get to hang out with a bunch of Ferrari owners" and also yeah him and his brother having forums fights, all round idiot mostly.

quote:

'syf0n shot'

That was fun trolling

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Hahaha I thought that was him. Did anyone find out where he ended up?

He got a fair bit better picking a shot to set up, spent a lot of money and set up / did studio professional work for OEMs, with a lot of post processing that wasnt to my taste but eh, it wasnt garbage.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MrKatharsis posted:

Obligatory:

What was Dweezil's deal anyway?

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Dweezil was hilarious, him and Le Tron Fu would routinely crack me up . I think they got tired of being banned for being funny and left. Don't blame them.

Glad to see trouser chili still has the ITR. I've been looking for one for 5 or 6 years and never found a decent one.

I'm selling my NSX though :cry::cry::cry:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-acura-nsx-t/

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Very nice car. Change the timing belt. Just like people want move-in-ready houses, they also want no deferred maintenance to address immediately on purchase. You'll make the couple thousand it'll cost back, probably many times over. GL!

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Other people.... was it DiZ who was an Aussie guy, built a fast sleeper Corolla, and someone rear ended it shortly after it was finished?

He offered to sell me that car and I kick myself I never did

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Seriously? That's awesome!

Quoting bc, that is great, I really enjoyed his posts and his Toyota echo I think?

Maybe I can catch up in Japan one day

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Not that they were ever bad looking cars to start with, but they have aged *so* well, they could release this exactly as-is today and it would still feel contemporary. Really beautiful car, congrats/commiserations

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

lilbeefer posted:

He offered to sell me that car and I kick myself I never did

Oh I remember that Corolla, that thing was ridiculous. That was about the time Hunter Devourer lived just around the corner from where I was and DiZ wasnt that far away either.

HD and I had a whoooole lotta fun when he came onboard as my co-driver and we ripped up a bunch of forests. Probably one of the best people I've met and an absolute riot talking smack while we were hurtling down a gravel road at 160+kph.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

aventari posted:

Dweezil was hilarious, him and Le Tron Fu would routinely crack me up . I think they got tired of being banned for being funny and left. Don't blame them.

Glad to see trouser chili still has the ITR. I've been looking for one for 5 or 6 years and never found a decent one.

I'm selling my NSX though :cry::cry::cry:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-acura-nsx-t/

The NSX want is strong, the funds are not. Just bought half a year college for my son and broke AF.

ITR lives, runs strong. Suspension and clutch are soft now though, a bit like me. I think I'll take it out to the cruise tomorrow night, hasn't moved much.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on a NSX in Japan, just needs to be the right night. I won’t lose money when this horrible decision gets delivered. I don’t want red a white type R…

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

meatpimp posted:

Very nice car. Change the timing belt. Just like people want move-in-ready houses, they also want no deferred maintenance to address immediately on purchase. You'll make the couple thousand it'll cost back, probably many times over. GL!

From what that car brought in the auction, I was absolutely wrong. Congratulations!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
fuuuuckin holy poo poo man. mind saying what you paid for it when you got it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

hosed if I can ever find it, but I still think about that ode to that Audi Quattro written by some dude explaining how audi engineers must have found stone tablets of arcane knowledge in order to have the tech to build that car.

Doesn't help that I can't search archives.

Life is good again, though it'd be better with images :(

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 28, 2022