Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Not great! Every mission my friends had to drop and rejoin because the mission wouldn’t start properly. And the boss ai broke several times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It could be much better.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I've experiencied some issues at the the beginning and between missions, however it tends to work ok once you're in.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't think I've gone a single three-stage stretch in MP without the game freezing or getting booted out of the lobby. It plays well enough once you're actually in the level but they really need an option for a permanent player marker because it can be so difficult to find your character.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Finished Story Mode with Mikey the other night and knocked out the 1CC Arcade on Okay difficulty with Leo just now. Be interested to see how much Gnarly difficulty ramps it up as while I took a few deaths towards the end I was never even close to losing my credit. I need to get better at throwing out my super moves to clear packs/pain in the rear end enemies quicker since it regenerates pretty quick even without using taunting.

Definitely preferred Mikey to Leo. Leo unfortunately didn't feel like an "all-rounder", he just felt bland. Mikey's has great speed, good range and his jumping/rising attack feels great to smack stuff with though his slowly descending air attack from double-jump didn't feel as useful to me as Leo's giant buzzsaw spin. In theory Mikey has less 'power' but enemies - at least on Okay difficulty - are either only a few hits or spongey anyway, I didn't feel like there was a ton of difference between how many times I had to hit something as Mikey vs Leo. Not sure who I want to do for my next run, probably either Donnie or Splinter.

Story Mode seems uh fine, I guess? The challenges/collectables don't excite me too much and I really don't like having to slowly level up to unlock stuff, but I appreciate it provides an on-ramp for people who are not necessarily crazy about the idea of diving straight into an arcade style mode. I don't know how much time I see myself spending finishing out that mode.

Absolutely love the OST for this game with my favourites being Jaw-Breaking News, Rumble in the Zoo, Mall Meltdown, Roof-running Reptiles and Panic in the Sky! which is just cheesy enough to fit perfectly.
Surfs up in the city, I'm fired up and I'm feeling gritty....

Someone was asking about dealing with the black Foot Clan - best approach I've found is to slide (A while running) into them and then immediately to a jump attack (X + A). Timed right, you clip them with the slide which makes them leap back and up and then tag them in mid-air with the jump attack before they can toss sai at you.

For my money the worst enemy in the game are the big jumpy robots with mousers for hands that spawn two mousers when they die. Absolutely obnoxious and the hitbox on their drat grab feels as wide as a truck.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I wish TMNT had a ranking system or score attack mode for the stages. Once you settle in with a character and complete all the challenges that's Kind of It as far as the skill ceiling goes. No I don't want to "make my own fun," I want the game to give me a letter grade!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I wonder what the crossover between different media properties is? What I mean is I bought shredders revenge and my kids fell in love with it and because of that they now watch the TMNT show that’s on Netflix

They can’t be the only ones doing that, so it’s interesting that this game probably caused an uptick in TMNT viewing on other platforms.

Sorry, rambling here

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I wish TMNT had a ranking system or score attack mode for the stages. Once you settle in with a character and complete all the challenges that's Kind of It as far as the skill ceiling goes. No I don't want to "make my own fun," I want the game to give me a letter grade!!

This does seem like a missed opportunity.

Response to the game appears pretty positive overall though so hopefully it's doing well for Tribute Games and there's some further content patches or DLC down the line.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Netcode was terrible yesterday, there was huge amounts of lag and players getting disconnected constantly. At some point during a boss fight, it got so laggy that the boss turned permanently invisible while still being able to hit us, so we started going around the sceen blindly flailing around in the hopes of killing it. It was funny and terrible at the same time.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
OTOH, tossed this onto someone's Xbox through game pass and busted out a couple of levels of 4 person coop and it excelled: simple combat, easy for better players to seamlessly carry half interested tagalongs, and lots of visual gags, character design, and music to make the whole thing enjoyable even for someone who was more or less "just in the room", which was half of the people who were playing in my case since it was just something to do for a bit before we watched Demolition Man.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I've read people have been trying to cheese the "don't get hit" challenges by joining games where people aren't loading in properly for you, and just letting them take everything out. Since they don't load in, but are still fighting, then you get to be carried easily.

I love the little touches of Shredder's Revenge. Like how the fire hydrant has the projectile that you hit off it, and then if foot soldiers walk through the water afterwards, they fall down.

Also when fighting Metalhead there is a missile that falls that is a dud. You can hit it towards him for bonus damage.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
My main critique of the bosses in this game is a lot of them don't really let you do anything to them until they get to certain animations. Super Shredder is really tedious for this, but there's a lot of bosses like this. Super Shredder in SNES turtles in time was a pushover but you could approach him in different ways, and in arcade he was much, much more difficult(in Turtles in Time arcade, he has a sword and it has incredible range and a quick animation).

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Finally managed to beat Shredder's Revenge despite all the disconnects. It got easier when I ended up as host and kicked off some people who got stuck. The last couple of stages and bosses are utter rear end. Traag glitched out and was skipped. I-frame bosses and larger than character attack hitboxes. It was casual, so it wasn't too bad. Might as well try Gnarly.

There is a shortcut to a quick heavy attack after making a swing. Not that it is effective when you have 5 other people cluttering everything.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Did my one credit clear tonight. I was surprised at how easy that was to do, but screw Rat King, took far too long to beat. He just didn't stay off the tank long enough.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Rat King may be my least fave boss but I gotta respect his jaunty flute-playing animation

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

So in news I overlooked because of the release of TMNT, Final Vendetta has also released.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1891090/Final_Vendetta/
On PC, Switch, Xbox, PS4/5 now and has an upcoming physical release for the Neo Geo MVS/AES.

They released the day after TMNT which, oof, that's some pretty bad release window timing.

The game certainly looks gorgeous, with an art style heavily inspired by Neo Geo games. For the design, the developers say it draws from Streets of Rage 2, Streets of Rage 3 and Final Fight primarily. Early impressions are... a bit mixed. The game is apparently faithful to arcade brawlers to a fault - complaints seem to be that the difficulty is high even on the provided 'Easy' mode and bosses seem pretty bullshit, iframes on certain moves are inconsistent/unclear, enemies will happily combo you into a corner straight through your attack startup, etc etc. Also apparently the characters have a number of moves that just aren't documented anywhere as a deliberate design choice which in my personal opinion is tedious bullshit. Take these complaints with a grain of salt obviously, this is just me collating what seems to be coming up in a common theme or reviews I've seen but I haven't played the game myself yet.

The weirdest goddamn thing I've seen about it is that there's a full training mode included that only unlocks after you've beaten the game :psyduck:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Training mode after you beat the game would make sense in like, Devil May Cry style game where the first difficulty is pretty easy and the challenge doesn't ramp up until follow up playthroughs but I'm guessing it's not how that game works.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mode 7 posted:

The weirdest goddamn thing I've seen about it is that there's a full training mode included that only unlocks after you've beaten the game :psyduck:

This sounds like a bizarre choice. How weird.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm really liking Shredder's Revenge so far. drat it is a long game but I guess I'm getting my money's worth! I started off with Donatello obviously and his reach is always nice so I think I'll try Splinter or Leo next to switch things up once I beat the game.

The mechanics feel great so far, everything is responsive and there's fun combo potential even with the base moves. You have to commit to your moves, especially as Don, but you still have outs mid-combo.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Are there any hidden gem beat em ups on the Steam Sale right now? I've got SoR4, Fight N Rage, and Shredder's Revenge is on Game Pass. Final Vendetta's still full price and its regional price is fairly high for me, so was wondering if there's anything else worth looking at.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Artelier posted:

Are there any hidden gem beat em ups on the Steam Sale right now? I've got SoR4, Fight N Rage, and Shredder's Revenge is on Game Pass. Final Vendetta's still full price and its regional price is fairly high for me, so was wondering if there's anything else worth looking at.

Chronicles of Mystara is $5 if you haven't picked that up yet. Just an amazing pair of ports of the best-of-it's-era beat 'em ups, with the caveat that they came out way before Capcom gave a poo poo about decent netcode on anything not a top-tier fighting game, so I'd really hedge my expectations for online play.

Legend of Tianding is a platformer beat 'em up that has a few rough spots but has a lot of flair and depth and is very worth the time. Very satisfying to chain effective responses together into one big moving combo, and the comic-style presentation is neat, if not exactly new to brawlers

The Vagrant does everything in it's power to leave an awful first impression. It looks like Budget Vanillaware made by someone who didn't quite understand why Vanillaware's artstyle works- everything just feels one degree off. It's unrepentantly horny. It's normal price is like $4, which makes you wonder what went so wrong that it's marked so low even normally. The movement feels cumbersome and clunky at first. But buried under it all is a shockingly-competent, even maybe better-then-good Brawler Sidescroller RPG that's going for less then a buck right now and has me keeping one eye on the team's next, more ambitious game to see if they can step it up.

Dawn of the Monsters needs a deeper discount to get an unqualified nod for me, since it's.... going to be very hit or miss, but there's bound to be folks out there for whom the game is entirely their jam. It's a big chunky beat 'em up built for kaiju on kaiju action, and if that sounds rad, it is. But emphasis does go on big and chunky- this is not a very nimble or responsive game and it can feel very hit-spongy on both sides.

Going Under is a Roguelike 3D Brawler with some big energy. It's very much a child of both it's genres, so if the word Roguelike causes chills, I'd step away, but it's very brisk and fun just to drop into and delve through a run or two, and is also 75% off right now at 5bux and absolutely worth more then that if you have any interest in both halves of it's formula. It's like Binding of Issac and Dead Rising had a love child on a sugar high.

e: If you're looking just for traditional 2D Belt-Scrolly Brawlers... I don't got much, most of the ones seem pretty meh blech outside the really recent crop that rose up in SoR4's wake. I've heard Mayhem Brawler described as SoR4's mean-spirited baby sister- a very solid game under it all but also drop-kickingly difficult. The only other recent one I have much experience with is Tunche, and my advice is to more or less skip Tunche- it eventually gets fun once you have a character with a full skillset and actually get to play the game the way it's intended, but it's one of those games that locks away most of your character's skillset for what feels like a dozen or more runs as you struggle to make progress with half a character, and there is no shortcutting boosting up alternate characters either, so you'll have to do it FIVE TIMES if you want to really try everyone out.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 2, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I was gonna recommend Aztez but for some god drat reason it's not on sale.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mr. Locke posted:

Chronicles of Mystara is $5 if you haven't picked that up yet. Just an amazing pair of ports of the best-of-it's-era beat 'em ups, with the caveat that they came out way before Capcom gave a poo poo about decent netcode on anything not a top-tier fighting game, so I'd really hedge my expectations for online play.

It uses GGPO which is best available netcode to this day.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Paprium, that 16-bit retro beatemup made for Sega Genesis, is allegedly getting a next-gen port although with how long the game took to come out I wouldn't count on it happening anytime soon.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Legend of Tian Ding is great, but it's much more a platformer than a brawler, but it does have a nice helping of beat em up mechanics.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Artelier posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/885150/Capcom_Beat_Em_Up_Bundle/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1515950/Capcom_Arcade_Stadium/
You can pick from a selection of beamups with this one.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Man, Shredder's Revenge is a blast on multiplayer. I beat the game with Don so I was familiar with how things worked, what enemies were like, things to watch out for in the levels, etc. and I'm glad I did because once there are 3+ players in multi I feel like there'd be very little chance to learn any of that stuff because it's mayhem. Super fun mayhem, but still. I beat the game in multi with a crew of 2-6 (some would drop out, new people would replace) and there are often so many specials popping off it's easy to lose track of what's going on. Tactically it's kind of cool though because if someone is doing a special near you it's a perfect time to Taunt and build meter. With a little bit of coordination between teammates doing that you could probably just have a never-ending chain of specials going that both clear the middle of the screen, rack up huge hit counts, and keep players within the AoE invulnerable.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Shredder's Revenge is so very, very pretty and there's a lot of recognizable names in the credits that tell how that happened (Justin Cyr, Paul Robertson, Jonathan Kim) but somehow even with the middling reviews on how it played, I was somehow still disappointed. Not that I regret playing it or anything, but I was kind of just expecting it to feel simple instead of outright bad. Priority on attacks is all over the place, invincibility windows on summersaults are inconsistent and/or way too brief, and due to this the enemy placement tends towards annoying because the player just doesn't have the necessary tools to feel in control of the situation. On top of this the screen can get too chaotic with how effects are layered and when four out of the seven characters are visually very similar you really want things to be as clear as possible for the player. In a vacuum the turtles all have very visibly distinct silhouettes and animations, but during gameplay this can not be enough.

Overall, disappointing is the word I'd use to describe it. The price point is fine and as a thing to gently caress around with friends and try and remember what all the even minor enemy names are and so on was really fun, but the gameplay was just frustrating enough that the whole experience was plagued by thoughts of how much better it could've been.

I think even in a post-SoR4 world there's still plenty of room for a more casual, less technical beat 'em up experience, but Shredder's Revenge's issues relegate it down the sort of party game where the focus is more on the fact you're enjoying the time with your friends more than anything the gameplay has to offer.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Some interesting videos on Shredder's Revenge breaking down damage values and attack properties for the whole cast.

Attack properties:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1pQM2L24Kc

Damage values:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBGSf7OsNoE

Unfortunately as much as I enjoyed the experience of playing through it casually I don't think it's going to hook me enough to go for the Gnarly 1CC and if I do it'll certainly just be with whatever character I end up enjoying the most, I really don't think I've got the motivation to push for a whole cast clear. I think the strength of it though is that the license and the nostalgia for the arcade game and Turtles in Time means that I will be able to convince friends to jump in and play some co-op with me more easily than something like SoR4.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That guy's vids have been cool. Learned about charging the power attack and variations of the Rising Attack / different inputs. Glad he went into the analysis although who I pick mostly has to do with who I want to level up more or who everyone else has already chosen in multi. So far everyone I've played with has had some fun pros & cons to consider so it never feels like I'm using the worst character or that someone else has beaten me to the best.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

River City Saga: Three Kingdoms is out.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1013220/River_City_Saga_Three_Kingdoms/

I'm likely to pick this one up as I generally enjoy RCR styled beat em ups for a casual playthrough and this looks to have some fun gimmicks.
Still got Final Vendetta, Dawn of the Monsters and Jitsu Squad on my list of stuff to dive into that's been released this year - 2022 has the largest amount of high profile releases for the genre I can think of in ages.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mode 7 posted:

2022 has the largest amount of high profile releases for the genre I can think of in ages.

Speaking of, I saw some people started a beat-em-up magazine just recently:

https://www.brawlersalley.com/

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mode 7 posted:

River City Saga: Three Kingdoms is out.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1013220/River_City_Saga_Three_Kingdoms/

I'm likely to pick this one up as I generally enjoy RCR styled beat em ups for a casual playthrough and this looks to have some fun gimmicks.
Still got Final Vendetta, Dawn of the Monsters and Jitsu Squad on my list of stuff to dive into that's been released this year - 2022 has the largest amount of high profile releases for the genre I can think of in ages.

Oh nice. I was waiting for this one for sure.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Has there been any serious attempt at doing a 3D beat 'em up since Godhand? Or is it mostly more retro 2D scrollers?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

Has there been any serious attempt at doing a 3D beat 'em up since Godhand? Or is it mostly more retro 2D scrollers?

You mean like...the whole character action game, like Devil May Cry?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Jack Trades posted:

You mean like...the whole character action game, like Devil May Cry?

I believe Dante has a sword and possibly a gun.

But yeah, like that but more punchy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

How soon we all forget The Quiet Man.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

This is just the Warriors/Musou franchise. It's more or less where the majority of the brawler genre lived from like 2004-2018.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

I believe Dante has a sword and possibly a gun.

But yeah, like that but more punchy.

You have weapons in SoR4 as well, for example.

Default Bayonetta moveset is all kicks and punches.

Also, you could consider Arkham games to be 3D versions of a beat'em'up.

exquisite tea posted:

How soon we all forget The Quiet Man.

I did until I saw your post. Thanks a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think DMC games nor musou really capture what people liked about 2D brawlers.