Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Defiance Industries posted:

Empire Alone is out. Always good to see the Wolves get the boots put to them, and also the MoC-CC alliance is splintering at the most interesting time.

I was very annoyed that The Clan Protectorate seems to be splintering between the smarties who realize tying themselves with the Wolf Empire is really, really dumb, like 3rd Annihilation's the charm type dumb, and the dummies who decided to try to shore up Wolf Empire borders because.... reasons? It felt to me like the authors are just trying to keep the Wolf Empire afloat longer than it has any right to be. Let them all sit on Terra, build up, reconquer the Core area, not hold onto an entire empire with limited troops and no warships. Instead the Nova Cats are all too eager to throw themselves into the woodchipper so someone else can benefit.

And still no Kisho

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I will create a fanfic where descendants survived all the way through Escorpio Imperio and joined a cold-themed mercenary unit leaving calling cards for bloodnames that participated in the eradication of their clan.

Calling cards? You'd need Calling Phonebooks to get all the bloodnames in there ;)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I was very annoyed that The Clan Protectorate seems to be splintering between the smarties who realize tying themselves with the Wolf Empire is really, really dumb, like 3rd Annihilation's the charm type dumb, and the dummies who decided to try to shore up Wolf Empire borders because.... reasons? It felt to me like the authors are just trying to keep the Wolf Empire afloat longer than it has any right to be. Let them all sit on Terra, build up, reconquer the Core area, not hold onto an entire empire with limited troops and no warships. Instead the Nova Cats are all too eager to throw themselves into the woodchipper so someone else can benefit.

And still no Kisho

We're still Clan. Kinda.. they're the ilClan. They won. We do what they say, it's in the rules

Not exactly Mensa, but not exactly dumb either

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SirFozzie posted:

Calling cards? You'd need Calling Phonebooks to get all the bloodnames in there ;)

Start small, one or two to begin with, then work your way up :)

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

SirFozzie posted:

We're still Clan. Kinda.. they're the ilClan. They won. We do what they say, it's in the rules

Not exactly Mensa, but not exactly dumb either

My thoughts.

https://imgur.com/HBwZzib

I don't know why [ img ] brackets ain't working right now, it's just a meme.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

About done with my first mech. Just need to finish up the base. I like the detail and design of the CGL models, but cleaning up mold lines on that material is a pain.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Floppychop posted:

About done with my first mech. Just need to finish up the base. I like the detail and design of the CGL models, but cleaning up mold lines on that material is a pain.

Love it!

Painted my own today too, not nearly as clean as yours!

quote:

5th model painted since I started with minis. I'm far too self-conscious about the splattering when I started with Orange. I tried thinning the paints but... Reaper paints don't need it. Otherwise I think I did well with the color transition, and I bothered with filling in some highlights like the cockpit.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Did up an Urbie and got all the models painted so far out for a shot of them all. Was hoping for a stronger white on the Urbie that I ended up just going a little hard on washes to make it look well used. Overall, it brings out the LED Blue I used for the cockpit.

Gotta say, I don't have much experience with washes, but GW's, so far, feels a lot better to use...

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Love it!

Painted my own today too, not nearly as clean as yours!

Stop making GBS threads on your own work! That's an excellent gradient!

And yeah, GW's washes and metallics have always been very good and probably the best paints in the range though their high pigment base colours are quite nice too.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

SirFozzie posted:

This sums up the clans though.

I'm glad my beloved Goliath Scorpions have hosed off to spain and are having siestas and learning salsa dancing as we speak.

In general I'm liking the 3152+ ilClan setting. Its feeling like the setting has direction again for the first time in forever.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fearless posted:

Stop making GBS threads on your own work! That's an excellent gradient!

And yeah, GW's washes and metallics have always been very good and probably the best paints in the range though their high pigment base colours are quite nice too.

I actually dont mind the metallics so far from Reaper, although saying that, I might try to find an excuse to do a chromed or metal-only scheme. Lord knows ive got like... 40 other mechs to experiment with

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I picked up a couple of the new contrast paints GW released on Saturday, and I think Leviathan Purple might be the real deal. Picture attached here is 25 minutes from primer drying to finished, including drying time. I could definitely go in and make this better but it looks good enough for a table as is.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Strobe posted:

I picked up a couple of the new contrast paints GW released on Saturday, and I think Leviathan Purple might be the real deal. Picture attached here is 25 minutes from primer drying to finished, including drying time. I could definitely go in and make this better but it looks good enough for a table as is.

Love the scheme!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Thank you! It's the 1st Covenant Guards paint scheme, hands down my favorite for Marik.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Finished my first lance*. I'll have to try and get a pic with not garbage lighting.

*I'm aware Clan does stars of 5

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I actually dont mind the metallics so far from Reaper, although saying that, I might try to find an excuse to do a chromed or metal-only scheme. Lord knows ive got like... 40 other mechs to experiment with

There are some easy and fantastic ways to make silver mechs really pop. Basecoat grey or black, the apply a dark silver colour over that-- hit with a black or dark brown wash to taste, then drybrush on that original silver, then a lighter colour of silver or two. The GW progression used to be boltgun metal >> chainmail >> mithril silver way back when, lord knows what they have named it now. What this winds up creating is something that is going to look like a well maintained but also well used silver colour and it can be done extremely quickly.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
My tip for making metallic silver pop is: basecoat black, then apply a gloss varnish anywhere you want silver.

For gold/bronze, do a brown basecoat first. It makes it so much easier to get good coverage.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Does anyone know why are all the Catalyst setting and campaign books so expensive and hard to find? Do they just not produce a lot or are they that much better than their FASA era equivalents? I can settle for PDFs but I always did prefer physical books and they're basically off the table.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

All print products are by default the expensive version now, if you want to save money, go PDF. And if you want physical versions, you have to buy them when they come out, the only books where multiple print runs make financial success are the rule books.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Tamar Rising and IlClan have apparently tripped the "worth doing a reprint" line, at least.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Is there any mentions of how long mech development take? Specifically from prototypes -> official production period.

Context: Running a merc campaign, players' latest contract is a 3-way thunderdome on a relatively unimportant Canopus planet defending against CC and FWL in the mid 3040s. Idea is that the CC could be using this has a field testing of some prototypes that canonically enter production later.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The usual amount of time for tech to go from the prototyping phase to production is usually in the 5-10 year range, though there are things that fall outside that.

I'd recommend trying to grab a FWL prototype instead, the CC's research programs at the time are pretty anemic. TRO: 3050 was not a book with much to offer Capellan players.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

EverettLO posted:

Does anyone know why are all the Catalyst setting and campaign books so expensive and hard to find? Do they just not produce a lot or are they that much better than their FASA era equivalents? I can settle for PDFs but I always did prefer physical books and they're basically off the table.

Pretty sure my LGS has a few Tamar Rising + ilClans left. I can try to hook you up.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

The usual amount of time for tech to go from the prototyping phase to production is usually in the 5-10 year range, though there are things that fall outside that.

I'd recommend trying to grab a FWL prototype instead, the CC's research programs at the time are pretty anemic. TRO: 3050 was not a book with much to offer Capellan players.

I think the Raven 3L can fit, since its production year is 3048. I was also looking at Ti Ts'ang, but decided it was a bust since it was commissioned as Sun Tze Liao's Xin Sheng project, which only happened after the clan invasion. Currently running a blank on FWL designs, but will look a bit deeper into that too.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

All print products are by default the expensive version now, if you want to save money, go PDF. And if you want physical versions, you have to buy them when they come out, the only books where multiple print runs make financial success are the rule books.

I'm not trying to suggest their cover price is too high, they seem very normal. I'm more baffled by the fact that almost everything they've made that's older than a couple of years is incredibly hard to find and expensive on the secondary market. Like, even moreso than 20 to 30 year old FASA books.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Pretty sure my LGS has a few Tamar Rising + ilClans left. I can try to hook you up.

I appreciate the offer but I have managed to find s those two and Empire Alone. The ones that are gone forever are the SLDF book, the ones on the first two succession wars, the reaving and the Kurita or merc manual. Their scarcity is very interesting to me.

EverettLO fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 21, 2022

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Weissritter posted:

I think the Raven 3L can fit, since its production year is 3048. I was also looking at Ti Ts'ang, but decided it was a bust since it was commissioned as Sun Tze Liao's Xin Sheng project, which only happened after the clan invasion. Currently running a blank on FWL designs, but will look a bit deeper into that too.

The FWL gets a buttload of designs in TRO: 3050. There are only four Capellan designs in the book (UrbanMech, Raven, Vindicator and Catapult). The League has new variants of almost everything they field, whether it's a tiny bug mech or new Awesomes and Stalkers.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

The FWL gets a buttload of designs in TRO: 3050. There are only four Capellan designs in the book (UrbanMech, Raven, Vindicator and Catapult). The League has new variants of almost everything they field, whether it's a tiny bug mech or new Awesomes and Stalkers.

Thanks! Will go through that then.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Horsebanger posted:

This sums up the clans though.

I'm glad my beloved Goliath Scorpions have hosed off to spain and are having siestas and learning salsa dancing as we speak.

In general I'm liking the 3152+ ilClan setting. Its feeling like the setting has direction again for the first time in forever.

What is the direction ? Genuinely curious because I haven't been keeping up.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Exploring the fallout of the ilClan trial. Currently sourcebooks (starting with Tamar Rising, continued in Empire Alone, continuing in Dominions Divided and at least one more) are covering January 3151 to June 3152 in progressive chunks of the Inner Sphere. The specific chunks are not necessarily pushing the envelope down the calendar very far but it's being done with care and detail to set up a jump-off point for the spine plot for the era.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They've also realized that the game's story should exist primarily to set up your own campaign rather than furiously relating to you what the next big event that happened two years after the last big event was because the metaplot constantly needs to move ahead every product they release.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Why does Catalyst not want to take my money? I ordered the Battletech: A Game of Too Many Words of What Book I should Buy Combat, from Amazon, and the next thing I get is an email saying thank you for returning it, your refund will be coming soon. I never got it.

And none of the Mech packs I want to buy except the Madcat in the Wolf's Dragoons is available, like anywhere. And the campaign book is TWICE the cost of the box with figures, rules and maps. And al lot of the books and 95% of the figure packs are on backorder.

What's the story with all of this- are they crippled by covid or do I need to wait for 2 years for some kickstarter to actually be able to buy anything? I just want to get a Battlemaster, Warhammer, Riflemen and Wasp and fight pretend single player because I doubt anyone else around here plays it.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 21, 2022

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

There's also the Cataphract but I'm not sure where the -3L version first shows up. IIRC the version in the original 3050 book is the -3D

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Taerkar posted:

There's also the Cataphract but I'm not sure where the -3L version first shows up. IIRC the version in the original 3050 book is the -3D

The MUL shows 3050. http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/470/cataphract-ctf-3l

I always liked the Cataphract. I think it was supposed to be a bit of an underdog from the fluff text.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Comstar posted:

Why does Catalyst not want to take my money? I ordered the Battletech: A Game of Too Many Words of What Book I should Buy Combat, from Amazon, and the next thing I get is an email saying thank you for returning it, your refund will be coming soon. I never got it.

They've always been bad at logistics and people actually wanting to buy their products is making it worse

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Comstar posted:

And none of the Mech packs I want to buy except the Madcat in the Wolf's Dragoons is available, like anywhere. And the campaign book is TWICE the cost of the box with figures, rules and maps. And al lot of the books and 95% of the figure packs are on backorder.

Have you checked out Aries Games & Miniatures or Fortress Miniatures? They seem a little better on stock than CGL for some reason.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Catalyst doesn't work with Amazon on anything other than POD, anything you ordered from there was not Catalyst affiliated.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Comstar posted:

I just want to get a Battlemaster, Warhammer, Riflemen and Wasp and fight pretend single player because I doubt anyone else around here plays it.

There's also a Rifleman in the Wolf's Dragoons pack. The BattleMaster is in the Game of Armored Combat box set. The Wasp and Warhammer were from two of their wave 1 boxes. They made a bit of a mistake with the wave 1 / wave 2 stuff, as it means anything in wave 1 tends to be really out of synch with the wave 2 restocks and vice-versa (and because there's more stuff in wave 2, wave 1 tends to sell out faster because there's less wave 2 available when wave 1 restocks).

They really need to hire someone to manage their shop for them, considering if you click the 'miniatures' tab of their website the Inner Sphere lance packs don't show up; and even though it's up for sale the Timberwolf TC premium miniature is only accessible via a link from bg.battletech.com.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

You can get to the Timber Wolf TC page by using the search function on their site too.

Is the Urbanmech still impossible to get? I got two from the Clan Invasion kickstarter and some local guys are jealous and constantly asking how to get them.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Someone asked that at the grinder I was at last month and Randall's answer is "they are not for sale and never will be." The ones they have left are for giving away at events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Well that's kinda lame, people love that little guy. You might as well stop printing the Atlas.

And anyway I don't want the Urbanmech to be rare or special. I want every bean counter's rent-a-cop in the Inner Sphere to have one lying around.