Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

ancient chinese masculinity was more toward the wrestler-type body ("the general's stomach") than the ancient greek and roman type, so this is what peak performance looks like and symbolizes their power and ability to rule, while also being able to forgive failure from others while tolerating and laughing away criticism

This is a physical ideal shared across the people of the Dasht. those turkish portraints with the stomach presented prominently? that's SEXY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fat guys rule, you can rub their bellies for good luck.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

He smilin cause he know

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

AnimeIsTrash posted:

He smilin cause he know

I genuinely hope this is how I look in 20 years

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Buck Wildman posted:

I genuinely hope this is how I look in 20 years

same, but with power armour

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/steve_hanke/status/1549825969841737730

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

inflation causes boat accidents? what lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

somebody clearly hasnt been reading freakonomics!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Some Guy TT posted:

somebody clearly hasnt been reading freakonomics!

this guy seems like a freakonomic

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

fits my needs posted:

inflation causes boat accidents? what lol

depends on the boat. if you keep inflating an air mattress it will sink at some point

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Steve Hanke Panke

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

kissinger as hans moleman in a phone booth asking for the most hawkish foreign policy

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

comedyblissoption posted:

kissinger as hans moleman in a phone booth asking for the most hawkish foreign policy

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
[url]https://twitter.com/MichaelFieldNZ/status/1549869322662977537[/ url]

Edit: thumbnail on the tweet is a bit morbid. There’s election related massacres in PNG

Vladimir Poutine has issued a correction as of 02:23 on Jul 21, 2022

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the bitcoin of weed posted:

in the era of melee weapons being strongfat was a pretty big advantage over someone smaller, you could just overpower them and put them on or in the ground pretty easily. and a more restricted diet + lack of nutrition/exercise knowledge made it much harder to get strong without also getting fat. you were either large and powerful or thin and sickly, the two genders

Ancient Greece had a very different martial culture compared to China. Greeks needed to be lean and athletic because they were expected to serve personally when called upon. So they needed the stamina to march for miles with their gear and still be ready to fight the next day. A Chinese officer on the other hand had the logistical power of the empire behind him, so he could ride a horse or a wagon to wherever he needed to go along with the army and only had to be strong enough to destroy anybody that came within his reach.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its casue they eat rice, and pasta, a lto of empty carbs

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

the bitcoin of weed posted:

in the era of melee weapons being strongfat was a pretty big advantage over someone smaller, you could just overpower them and put them on or in the ground pretty easily. and a more restricted diet + lack of nutrition/exercise knowledge made it much harder to get strong without also getting fat. you were either large and powerful or thin and sickly, the two genders

not even wrong, being huge gives you a proportionate advantage in a duel. it just also shortens your lifespan considerably even if you don't catch a sword

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Casey Finnigan posted:

Why do japanese people always make fun of fat people so loving hard?
you know why

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

phew. almost clicked on https://news.cgtn.com/news/2022-07-19/Chinese-oil-painter-depicts-female-ghosts-from-famous-novel-1bN3YGx0lP2/index.html

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fat people are funny

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AnimeIsTrash posted:

fat people are funny

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/XHNews/status/1549288693013196800

plastic eating fish robots :aaa:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Amazing things are ACTUALLY HAPPENING in China. :china:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

AnimeIsTrash posted:

fat people are funny
some fat people are funny, like my friend, stav

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

this is the start of horizon zero dawn

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lol China is solving covid, nuclear power, mass transit, deforestation, and now microplastics

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol China is solving covid, nuclear power, mass transit, deforestation, and now microplastics

but what kind of negative effects does that have on the human spirit?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

China to become carbon net zero by 2030 by eliminating world's largest emitter of CO2 (US military).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

AT

WHAT

COOOOOOOST

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mantis42 posted:

China to become carbon net zero by 2030 by eliminating world's largest emitter of CO2 (US military).
what if we built a robot

that could EAT the u.s. military

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lol i was joking with somebody just a few days ago that fat ppl need to move in on the open waist clothing style. women have had it too good too long

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Mirello posted:

classic beijing bikinis. yup most people don't know but much of china has extremely poo poo weather. like beijing is extremely cold during winter and extremely hot and humid during summer. there's about 4 weeks of good weather a year.

i am now pro-america

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Homeless Friend posted:

lol i was joking with somebody just a few days ago that fat ppl need to move in on the open waist clothing style. women have had it too good too long

are women not people now

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Antonymous posted:

are women not people now

I think it’s that fat people are sexless. or more accurately they’re not men or woman or enby, their gender is “fat.”

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

please, I beg of you: no trans fat jokes

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

thats true, im fat and sexless

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

indigi posted:

please, I beg of you: no trans fat jokes

it solidifies at room temperature?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
weirdos on Twitter keep posting Chinese bank runs In Henan province and tanks blocking people from withdrawing their money, what’s the situation? anyone know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

weirdos on Twitter keep posting Chinese bank runs In Henan province and tanks blocking people from withdrawing their money, what’s the situation? anyone know?

stephenthinkpad posted:

I don't have an effort post source but from what I gather, these accounts from these small countryside banks were handled with shady procedure. *I think* they were advertised as saving accounts with higher interest rate but actually investment accounts; and they didn't go through the standard procedure to report to the central bank (insert long technical terms and explanations here), so they didn't get insured by the China version of FDIC. That's why the Chinese central bank refused to cover the lost. So there is illegal financing involved. And then there is a guy in a financing company ran away with a lot of money. So I think right now they are at the stage of figuring out which local government of banking sector should take the responsibility of the lost.

This affair reminds me of "unfinished apartment buildings" in China, which usually drag out for a few years until the local government step in and sort out the ownership.