Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Al-Saqr posted:

weirdos on Twitter keep posting Chinese bank runs In Henan province and tanks blocking people from withdrawing their money, what’s the situation? anyone know?

Even if the tank story is some made up bullshit it's funny how believable it is that something like that could happen

If you saw tanks in front of a Chase Bank or something like that and someone told you it was keeping people from getting their money you'd never believe it

Which makes me wonder - Does something like FDIC exist in China?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
just kidding lol

https://twitter.com/SunSibei/status/1549845979662168064

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

eSports Chaebol posted:

a quick google says yes: https://www.frbsf.org/banking/asia-program/pacific-exchange-blog/regional-comparison-chinas-new-deposit-insurance-system/

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

indigi posted:

I think it’s that fat people are sexless. or more accurately they’re not men or woman or enby, their gender is “fat.”

there was some online super hero game that had those exact 3 genders

"at least three" - joe biden

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 09:57 on Jul 21, 2022

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

eSports Chaebol posted:

Even if the tank story is some made up bullshit it's funny how believable it is that something like that could happen

If you saw tanks in front of a Chase Bank or something like that and someone told you it was keeping people from getting their money you'd never believe it

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

if the story isnt true, why did i so easily believe it was? explain that!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

fart simpson posted:

lmao

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

you get used to it. i--i don't even see the narrative. all I see is english language banner, scary sounding word, out of context image.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

fart simpson posted:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

fart simpson posted:

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

in a just world, this would be the title of the d&d china thread

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol did they swallow it without blinking?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

fart simpson posted:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Everything about the Henan bank protests makes sense. Like dude ran a scam on whole buncha folks. The folks who got scammed are mad and want their money. It's not even a question of if they'll get their money, it's a question of if the chinese federal or local government is going to cover the bill. But that doesn't matter to the folks who got scammed because they want blood and their money back NOW. I genuinely dig how even the western slanted portrayals that are trying their damnedest to make this into Tienamen Square 2: Financial Boogaloo can't excise the parts where people are saying they "are fighting to get their deposits" which is the real dangerous idea that hasn't crossed over to the west.

Compare and contrast to the sad discord and reddit posts westerners make when their crypto exchanges freeze withdrawls. They just roll over while robots take their money and run.

like lmao if you steal 200k from me you BETTER have a tank inbetween us if you know what's good for you.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

If Westerners get ripped off by what seems like an accredited bank, then they'll act the same way. People roll over for crypto scams because the lawlesness of the market was part of its whole appeal. Nobody can claim they weren't aware of all the risks involved, unless they were total suckers.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If Westerners get ripped off by what seems like an accredited bank, then they'll act the same way. People roll over for crypto scams because the lawlesness of the market was part of its whole appeal. Nobody can claim they weren't aware of all the risks involved, unless they were total suckers.

Mark Whalburg said I'd be a pussy if I didn't buy in

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

my first thought was “drat, you can drive a tank on Chinese streets for training without absolutely destroying the road surface? they must be amazing”

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

KirbyKhan posted:

Fact-check: that was Matt Damon

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DrNaved13/status/1549632638876532736

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

KirbyKhan posted:

I take all my financial advice from boybands.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

indigi posted:

my first thought was “drat, you can drive a tank on Chinese streets for training without absolutely destroying the road surface? they must be amazing”

there are special rubber 'shoes' you put on the treads when driving on surfaces that you don't want to tear up in the process, e.g. your own roads

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/ReutersChina/status/1549906274153684992?s=20&t=r9s7pO26btIFof8E-YlBSA

Thanks, China

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2021/01/11/phil-j11.html

Lol the WSWS put out another banger.

quote:

The CPP was founded in December 1968 on the Maoist conception of protracted people’s war, armed struggle in the countryside to encircle the cities leading up to the seizure of power. The party was founded on the program of Stalinism, which seeks to subordinate the working class to a section of the capitalist class in the name of a “national democratic revolution.” The armed struggle was a means to achieving this political end.

quote:

The function of the NPA is not to surround the cities from the countryside, let alone to aid the working class in the seizure of power, but to give political clout to the party leadership in its negotiations with the bourgeoisie. The rhetoric of protracted people’s war has enabled the CPP to retain its hold over the waves of radicalization in the country’s youth and workers. It has then instructed these layers to support and pressure the party’s bourgeois allies.

The 1980s were a decade of political upheaval in the Philippines. Long-time dictator Ferdinand Marcos was overthrown in 1986 by a popular uprising that was coupled with a military coup. A rival section of the bourgeoisie, represented by President Corazon Aquino, took power and suppressed mass unrest through the military and the use of paramilitary death squads.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/ashoswai/status/1550105958747197440?s=20&t=AvD_yqQv4xEc1g6UyNjPkQ

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this guy owns

https://twitter.com/broseph_stalin/status/1550112388577464321?s=20&t=AvD_yqQv4xEc1g6UyNjPkQ

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/ChollimaOrg/status/1550087173927424007?t=pSwvkmJ-PA50aGzRuPOzpQ&s=19

Party of sensible government and anticorruption everyone.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

that owns

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Chairman Xi, please start manufacturing hard drives now.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Chairman Xi, please send big SSDs now. Warhammer 3 is updating next month.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

western and western-friendly political and economic analysis of the current crisis and general trend of china’s rise completely relies on the idea that no one except americans are capable of innovation and quick ingenuity to solve a sudden major problems - no one else can do a “moon shot” (something that the US itself is not capable of anymore, at all). even a country with as many systemic failings as russia has run counter to every expectation and is rejiggering its economy to make up for a severe disruption in their previous trade relations, much to the shock of those who expected sanctions to pressure them into compliance

the decline of the US in an even more drastic fashion is coming much sooner than any traditional analysis is capable of fully articulating

the national myths of the US completely blind it from making a coherent analysis. and there is also plenty of non-US analysis from people who still believe in the US myths because it was the ideology and common sense assumption for so many decades. a lot of farts were huffed and projections are being made from this masturbation. this leads to shock and surprise when these expectations are defied, even when they are defied over and over again. there is no room for accounting for the new order because the consequences for accepting it are unacceptable and unthinkable to the empire. you’ll also lose your academic, writing or consulting job and take a severe credibility hit for accurate analysis

unfortunately i dont think the US and its allies will get the message until the consequences from the delusions of their western liberal “rules based” empire produce very dire consequences in the imperial core. this is already happening and it will accelerate while the empire blindly falls from crisis to crisis unable to seriously grapple with any problem because the starting assumptions are completely fictional

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The Punjabi chief minister is out of the hospital again. Drinking the water was no big deal.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lol holy poo poo if they've really managed that leap that's just another thing the West can't hold over China's head

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Basically just one generation away from matching advance proccesses from korea and taiwan

All the while the US still has no fabs and the 50 billion bill they pass will be pilfered by multinationals grifting

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

supposedly samsung is going to build a ton of new fabs here in austin

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

THS2 posted:

Yeah im sure they are going to be up and running this decade and they wont drag their feet while blaming texas power grid for their innevitable relocation somewhere else

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

THS2 posted:

good luck with that, Samsung and TSMC leaders have both said that these fabs will be very difficult to keep profitable. In addition don't these fabs need a lot of water? Have they seen the huge heatwave and drought we are having here?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Better than Obama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

GlassEye-Boy posted:

good luck with that, Samsung and TSMC leaders have both said that these fabs will be very difficult to keep profitable. In addition don't these fabs need a lot of water? Have they seen the huge heatwave and drought we are having here?

fabs are sort of like in a catch-22 because A. you need a spot that's very geologically stable so that tremors don't spoil the extremely sensitive processes that you're doing, but B. they also need lots of water

and those two things don't exactly intersect in very many places