Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you think about it, rugby is just very aggressive country dancing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Owling Howl posted:

Very angry at the people who killed Jesus so he died for our sins.
I think the so-called 'traditionalist catholic' rationale is "it must have been for bad reasons otherwise I wouldn't hate them all."

Also "the Pope is secretly involved because otherwise he wouldn't keep telling us how stupidly wrong we are."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is proud catholic tradition to argue with the pope to the point of making your own pope.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

forkboy84 posted:

I remember the teachers insisting we'd be glad for this because we'd use it at our wedding and joke's on them, I never got married :smuggo:

Every ceildh i have been to has had someone (usually the band) teaching people the dances as they go anyway, with half the fun being continually screwing up and walking in the wrong direction. I don't know if there are more hardcore ones in remote villages where only true scots can enter and if you get a single step wrong of the triple time ultra barn dance with simultaneous backwards strathmcallister you get thrown in the nearest loch

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, ours was mostly Scottish Country dance, the poo poo you get at ceidlh, and we did it from 1st to 4th year of high school, for about 6 weeks before Christmas (maybe it was less but it felt like it went on forever). But definitely remember waltz, which was the really really uncomfortable one.

Mostly I remember just being mad that it got in the way of doing things in PE I actually enjoyed like football, rugby, hockey, badminton, swimming. No social anxiety there.

And ceidlihs would be better with more blastbeats and tremolo picking. What I'm saying is ceidlihs should just be black metal shows.

I remember the teachers insisting we'd be glad for this because we'd use it at our wedding and joke's on them, I never got married :smuggo:

We got the same line from our PE teachers back in the dim and distant eighties, but honestly I can't say they were wrong. We danced exuberantly at one cousin's wedding, and almost murdered the DJ at another because he wouldn't play the good stuff, and had one a couple of years ago for an, uh, significant birthday/wedding anniversary. If everyone's up for it, and the band is good (and has someone who'll remind you what to do) it's an incredibly good time.

Black metal Strip the Willow? I think that could work.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Angepain posted:

Every ceildh i have been to has had someone (usually the band) teaching people the dances as they go anyway, with half the fun being continually screwing up and walking in the wrong direction. I don't know if there are more hardcore ones in remote villages where only true scots can enter and if you get a single step wrong of the triple time ultra barn dance with simultaneous backwards strathmcallister you get thrown in the nearest loch

Oh, they exist, bizarrely outside of Scotland. We ran into some when we arranging the aforementioned birthday ceilidh. Very snobby about the purity of scottish country dancing, wouldn't be seen dead at some commoner's ceilidh. "I suppose you can watch". Arseholes.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Folk metal chat:

I think we're looking at Skyclad (English folk)

I remember Skyclad doing The Widdershins Jig at the old Astoria in Charing Cross Rd must have been 30 years ago now (:corsair:) The whole place erupted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsbXsOWQ68k

Another one is Cruachan (Irish folk)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEH0j9KsjCw

Bloodywood (Indian)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsy5sJy5_34

Lyod (Russian)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QcGpNUnY9k

Anyway, there's loads. Just to chuck out a few more names: Warduna, Hu, Alestorm, Ghoultown.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 21, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Cruachan are fun. They taught me about Michael Collins.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spangly A posted:

It does not. It is a pro-deccan film. The film ends with a montage of Deccan revolutionaries and one of the male leads is very explicitly not even Hindu.

This came up in the pop culture cspam thread and the take of multiple Indian posters was "it is very stupid to think any reference to Hinduism in pre-independence India is Hindu nationalism"

BJP politicians tried to get it banned for having the koyapunem maoist character shown in muslim garb

Yeah, it goes for a very inclusive form of nationalism. They even include a British character (the love interest for one of the two leads) who goes above and beyond the call of duty to help out the Indian rebellion.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Ceilidhs are fun, especially if everyone is blind drunk and it's just a chaotic mosh pit of sweaty bodies being spun around to accordion music.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://twitter.com/rosielanners/status/1549717854395793412

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

I’m interested in seeing RRR after some of the incredibly glowing reviews I’ve seen, and obviously the fighting the British Empire angle is cool, but I’ve heard it’s got some Hindu nationalism stuff in it which is putting me off.

I say go for it. IP Man was Chinese propaganda and that series rules.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah it's a got a similar energy for BJPs as The Patriot was for proto-Trumpists. Or the dozens of made for TV pro-Putin "we beat the Nazis once, so everyone we fight is Nazis, and if you disagree you are Nazis" movies.

Reading the Ukraine/Russia war thread, someone posted this fantastic twitter thread about awful Russian military historical fiction.

Most of them involve time travel and end up as "we have to go back in time and team up with the Nazi's, to defeat the Allies, the Real Nazi's!"

Feel free to tag yourself as some of these covers.

https://twitter.com/sumlenny/status/1535582101621420032?t=zliG5BsNUlihiuwcnF6yTw&s=19

I'm the Russian Special Operative firing an Ak-47 on the deck of HMS Victory.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I have fond memories of playing with Cruachán in some dingy pub at the tail end of the 90s. Suffice to say, our brand of confusing screamo/metalcore was not a great fit with whatever they're doing, but the vibe was good.

The Hu are also a good shout, they're fun as hell

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Huh, small world, my wife's aunt is in Cruachan currently. I'd never heard of them until very recently.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Comrade Fakename posted:

I’m interested in seeing RRR after some of the incredibly glowing reviews I’ve seen, and obviously the fighting the British Empire angle is cool, but I’ve heard it’s got some Hindu nationalism stuff in it which is putting me off.

RRR is a massive delight from start to finish. It's very much a movie based around Hindu imagery, but I don't think the movie ever portrays Muslims in a negative light.

Baahubali 1 and 2 are also incredibly fun movies and worth watching (same director iirc).

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Surprise T Rex posted:

Huh, small world, my wife's aunt is in Cruachan currently. I'd never heard of them until very recently.

Similarly, I hadn't thought about them in 20 years until someone last week asked me to go to a gig of theirs. Might be a sign I have to go

E: Also, on RRR, I've heard you should watch the Telugu original rather than the Hindi dub, which annoyingly is the only version on Netflix

TreeTrunks
Aug 16, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Speaking as someone from the constituency next door who knows her long-suffering constituents... no, she really is stupid. Absolutely loving moronic. A dumpster fire of a black hole of intellect from which no salience has ever been spotted throughout the eternities of the cosmos. In every iteration of the multiverse not once has a Nadine Dorries ever been anything that you could maybe squint your eyes at and, at a distance, might think had sapience.

I live in constituency, and I can confirm she is very, very stupid. Also never here (which is a blessing)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
fuctifinio is this u

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

E: Also, on RRR, I've heard you should watch the Telugu original rather than the Hindi dub, which annoyingly is the only version on Netflix

It probably doesn’t matter all that much tbh, the original actors all dub their own voices and if you’re reading the subtitles you’re probably never going to even notice it’s a dub. I didn’t, even though I knew it was at the time.

It is a ridiculously entertaining insane action movie that I’d recommend seeing however you can

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

lmao

https://twitter.com/omid9/status/1549731880521588741?s=20&t=50tZPDAW8elFvNSx_tzJDw

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

crispix posted:

fuctifinio is this u

Life goals.... life goals....

This is my current setup. I now have zero draw resistance:
https://twitter.com/stuwyatt/status/1547374261479870465

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

Reading the Ukraine/Russia war thread, someone posted this fantastic twitter thread about awful Russian military historical fiction.

Most of them involve time travel and end up as "we have to go back in time and team up with the Nazi's, to defeat the Allies, the Real Nazi's!"
I think like anything it's on a spectrum. The "kids these days are feckless and disrespectful, get sent back in time to learn from some real men and do a patriotic war" are just schlocky soft nationalism, and I'm surprised that Britain hasn't done a bunch of them because that would be an instant Daily Express film of the year for boomer theme park island. The "also they turn Hitler good to fight Euro imperialism as Good Hitler" are a lot more uhhhh... (and probably instant Daily Mail film of the year).

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

I think like anything it's on a spectrum. The "kids these days are feckless and disrespectful, get sent back in time to learn from some real men and do a patriotic war" are just schlocky soft nationalism, and I'm surprised that Britain hasn't done a bunch of them because that would be an instant Daily Express film of the year for boomer theme park island.

Wasn't there a BBC series based on a book about a woman reincarnating during the Blitz or something, I remember seeing the ads?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Private Speech posted:

Wasn't there a BBC series based on a book about a woman reincarnating during the Blitz or something, I remember seeing the ads?

Time travelling bigamy sitcom Goodnight Sweetheart said all there was to say on the subject imo

edit: this rules

quote:

"Gary later becomes trapped in the past when the portal closes after he saves Clement Attlee from an assassination attempt by poisoning. He later deduces that it was his destiny to travel back in time with the purpose of saving Attlee's life and the portal closed because he had fulfilled this purpose."

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jul 21, 2022

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

RRR is good, definitely very hindu. Also kinda funny I've seen multiple people defend it as pro Muslim because one of the MCs pretends to be Muslim while in disguise and I guess nobody insults them for it.

Its funny cause if anything it majorly downplays how cruel the Raj is
Then they get slaughtered by the hundred it owns

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/benphillips76/status/1549768004233314306

(The real interview clip is GB News).

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Is she grinning as she talks that poo poo?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

I think like anything it's on a spectrum. The "kids these days are feckless and disrespectful, get sent back in time to learn from some real men and do a patriotic war" are just schlocky soft nationalism, and I'm surprised that Britain hasn't done a bunch of them because that would be an instant Daily Express film of the year for boomer theme park island. The "also they turn Hitler good to fight Euro imperialism as Good Hitler" are a lot more uhhhh... (and probably instant Daily Mail film of the year).

Hey after BoJo stops being PM, this is something he can write*.

Though there is a danger it would become a series and start with "feckless youth goes back to the Blitz to learn how to be a real man" and devolve into "feckless youth goes back to the time of the British Empire to learn how to really oppress those natives!"

* = I say write. It's more like he'd get paid the advance for it, blow it all on fancy meals and still not produce the book. What happened with that last case against him over that?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

is that famous hollywood fillim star lenardo decapro beside her

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Yeah, he often takes on climate change/environmental causes I think and the meteor from the film is a pretty obvious stand in for climate change

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Jennifer Lawrence is way too earnest in this.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Angepain posted:

I went to a wedding a few years ago between an old school friend (Jewish kid born and raised in North London) and a very Scottish lass, and loving hell they were hardcore about the ceilidh. Tbh to the point where it felt flat out rude to every non-Scot present- the groom even got yelled at until he was in tears for not doing it right. I just sat on the sidelines and drank whisky. :p

Weird loving wedding that- never have I seen such a strong case of a man marrying a near clone of his (lovely and kind, but super overbearing and emotionally manipulative stereotypical rich and jewish) mother- I also never once heard either bride or groom say a nice thing about each other. However they’re still married, seem happy and have a kid together- guess he found what he needed and power to them both.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

Hey after BoJo stops being PM, this is something he can write*.

Though there is a danger it would become a series and start with "feckless youth goes back to the Blitz to learn how to be a real man" and devolve into "feckless youth goes back to the time of the British Empire to learn how to really oppress those natives!"

* = I say write. It's more like he'd get paid the advance for it, blow it all on fancy meals and still not produce the book. What happened with that last case against him over that?
A group of ethnic youths who were disrespectful to me from their electric scooters are sent back to the 19th century Gold Coast in a book that critics are calling "shockingly tone deaf", "who on earth approved this?", and "10/10 smashing, Boris does it again - The Spectator"

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1550050632442208256

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
"Economic policy has been poo poo for the last 20 years, including the most recent 12 when we controlled it. Vote for me!"

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Camrath posted:

I went to a wedding a few years ago between an old school friend (Jewish kid born and raised in North London) and a very Scottish lass, and loving hell they were hardcore about the ceilidh. Tbh to the point where it felt flat out rude to every non-Scot present- the groom even got yelled at until he was in tears for not doing it right. I just sat on the sidelines and drank whisky. :p

Weird loving wedding that- never have I seen such a strong case of a man marrying a near clone of his (lovely and kind, but super overbearing and emotionally manipulative stereotypical rich and jewish) mother- I also never once heard either bride or groom say a nice thing about each other. However they’re still married, seem happy and have a kid together- guess he found what he needed and power to them both.

Yeah most wedding ceilidhs I've been to have been pretty funny and chill but I went to a St Andrews day one with an ex who was into that poo poo and we got partnered with two high school girls for one of the 4 person dances and oh my god they did not find my constant fuckups funny in the slightest bit. Was the weirdest most awkward experience, though I must admit that having two 16 year old girls visibly disgusted at me was very nostalgic for my own adolescence!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

What are the funding rules on running a leadership election campaign within a party? Non existent? Sun cream isn't cheap.

My ceilidh experience is everyone refusing to take no for an answer, completely unbelieving that someone might not want to take part, to the point where I just left.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What are the funding rules on running a leadership election campaign within a party?

Lol, lmao