Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Ohh yeah, when I lived in Italy, COL was trivial and I was paying too much as a dumb American, too. I showed up at the hospital with a minor emergency, an apparently fake healthcare card provided by the company I was working for, and no idea what was going on and they still treated me, uninsured, for 45 euro. The pills I needed afterwards were 6 euro. If you have no reason to stay where you are and can get work in Italy, it has its virtues. You might have to be white, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Ammanas posted:

for the past month youtube has been shoving videos of europeans/british people moving to rural central Portugal to establish homesteads in my recs

kinda curious to see how theyre doing in those tents and campers rn

All of this is astroturfing just like the media blitz here last year of people moving to Texas from California to avoid "covid lockdowns", which were definitely real stories about real people and not advertising paid by Texas.

Apr 7, 2003

MickeyFinn posted:

Ohh yeah, when I lived in Italy, COL was trivial and I was paying too much as a dumb American, too. I showed up at the hospital with a minor emergency, an apparently fake healthcare card provided by the company I was working for, and no idea what was going on and they still treated me, uninsured, for 45 euro. The pills I needed afterwards were 6 euro. If you have no reason to stay where you are and can get work in Italy, it has its virtues. You might have to be white, though.

I'd consider it if Europe paid computer people like the US does.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I would definitely consider it, but I would basically have to abandon my parents. Obviously there are other factors in play as well.

The person in the article who bought a home in Italy... is that all you need to do? What status does that get you?

Apr 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

I would definitely consider it, but I would basically have to abandon my parents. Obviously there are other factors in play as well.

The person in the article who bought a home in Italy... is that all you need to do? What status does that get you?

It makes you an official Goombah

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Im unlovely and poor and quite frankly not extremely skilled. Not sure why Portugal or Italy or whatever would want to have me.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

if i looking for house
him name is hopkin green house

P.S. I'll find my house
who took my house

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

All of this is astroturfing just like the media blitz here last year of people moving to Texas from California to avoid "covid lockdowns", which were definitely real stories about real people and not advertising paid by Texas.

nah its a real thing tied to, in no specific order:

overpaid computer touchers making so much money they can retire at 42 and live out their farming fantasies
oafish millenials living off parents money
housing being nonexistent/unaffordable in real places where people actually live
burnout/alienation from the grotesqueries of modern life/capitalism and desperately seeking an escape
neo-hippies fleeing the coming fascist takeover and basically opting out

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Ammanas posted:

neo-hippies fleeing the coming fascist takeover and basically opting out

Neo-hippies are fleeing fascism to... Texas?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

actionjackson posted:

*moves to portugal*

*country hits 117 degrees, is on fire, no A/C*

I'm confused by this, by "lease" do they mean a rental agreement like here, or do you have to buy a home?

lease is rent
they got permanent visas by renting a place and buying insurance (and not mentioned, having at least $75k in a bank account, which is not only the real secret to immigrating, but a requirement; most places will only let you in if you can prove that you have enough money to live off for ages without needing anything from the country you're moving to)

i am harry has issued a correction as of 17:05 on Jul 21, 2022

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

God Hole posted:

if i looking for house
him name is hopkin green house

P.S. I'll find my house
who took my house

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Neo-hippies are fleeing fascism to... Texas?

im talking about homesteaders in europe.

homesteaders in america are generally christian fundamentalists fleeing non-whites/'government' although some of the above applies as well

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Ammanas posted:

im talking about homesteaders in europe.

homesteaders in america are generally christian fundamentalists fleeing non-whites/'government' although some of the above applies as well

Okay, I lost track of the conversation once I saw Texas in the quote even though it was used as a comparison.

Sometimes my brain shuts down at Texas for a few seconds.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i am harry posted:

lease is rent
they got permanent visas by renting a place and buying insurance (and not mentioned, having at least $75k in a bank account, which is not only the real secret to immigrating, but a requirement; most places will only let you in if you can prove that you have enough money to live off for ages without needing anything from the country you're moving to)

do you get permanent visas by buying a home like the people mentioned in the article? I would presume so if you can get one by renting

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I’ve thought about trying to get into the Netherlands since I work for a Dutch company now and they have some of the best urban design in the world in terms of walk/bike infrastructure. It is definitely the kind of place I’d rather raise kids (in a city that’s not hostile to pedestrians you can let kids walk/bike to the park or friends houses or after school activities by themselves) but it would be tough to leave all our family and friends.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

it certainly has the best transportation, I'm not sure if I would like other aspects of the country or not though (I've been there, but I know little about the country besides the bike stuff)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i'm going to gentrify germany

you’re way too late. i visited about 10 years ago and it was full of Americans working remote + opening restaurants. surely it’s only gotten worse. two Former Googlers from America i know moved there in this time too.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mawarannahr posted:

you’re way too late. i visited about 10 years ago and it was full of Americans working remote + opening restaurants. surely it’s only gotten worse. two Former Googlers from America i know moved there in this time too.
computer touchers :argh: :argh: :argh:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

actionjackson posted:

do you get permanent visas by buying a home like the people mentioned in the article? I would presume so if you can get one by renting

it depends on the country and there are really different reqs but there are definitely places in the world that will give you a visa as a “private investor” and I’m pretty sure that just means you’ve got a bunch of money in a bank account

but the key point is that nowhere will let you become a permanent resident without money

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i am harry posted:

it depends on the country and there are really different reqs but there are definitely places in the world that will give you a visa as a “private investor” and I’m pretty sure that just means you’ve got a bunch of money in a bank account

but the key point is that nowhere will let you become a permanent resident without money

don’t miss your chance to get a powerful meme citizenship

quote:

Natural persons of foreign origin are granted the right to acquire Turkish citizenship by means of exceptional procedures upon purchase of real estate worth USD 250,000 and more. For this purpose, foreigners: Shall purchase real estate worth at least USD 250,000.

https://www.invest.gov.tr/en/investmentguide/pages/acquiring-property-and-citizenship.asp

Apr 7, 2003

Why the gently caress would I want to move from one religious fascist nation to another one

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

basically, if at some point I decide to sell my home and move to Europe, would the purchase price of a home in Europe be enough to get me in in some countries or w/e

sounds like the woman who bought a home in sicily had that as her ticket

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

bawfuls posted:

I’ve thought about trying to get into the Netherlands since I work for a Dutch company now and they have some of the best urban design in the world in terms of walk/bike infrastructure. It is definitely the kind of place I’d rather raise kids (in a city that’s not hostile to pedestrians you can let kids walk/bike to the park or friends houses or after school activities by themselves) but it would be tough to leave all our family and friends.

Lol the Dutch are the surly chuds of Europe

Apr 7, 2003

how do I move to china? That's the real ticket

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The Netherlands is the Texas of Europe. Hungary is Alabama and Poland is Mississippi.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

pretty much the same as everywhere else - marry or have good job or invest or “contribute greatly to china” so I guess that’s give them some trade secrets

Apr 7, 2003

It's insanely funny to me that citizenship is a concept of the last 150 years or so. Before if you were in a place you lived there, gently caress it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

how do I move to china? That's the real ticket

fart simpson seems to have a pretty fuckin good life ngl

Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

fart simpson seems to have a pretty fuckin good life ngl

yeppppppppppppppp

Apr 7, 2003

I'm currently looking at upstate PA river cabins, the poo poo our parents owned for summer time fun

They're all 200K+ if they're salable. Anything under $100K are disasters with six figure assessments due to sewage issues. very cool.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

I'm currently looking at upstate PA river cabins, the poo poo our parents owned for summer time fun

They're all 200K+ if they're salable. Anything under $100K are disasters with six figure assessments due to sewage issues. very cool.

I'm currently living in western CT on the NY border and tiny lake houses that were obviously built as vacation cabins are now for sale as $400k+ houses. 300k for a total wreck.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Nothus posted:

Lol the Dutch are the surly chuds of Europe

Their little farmer protest is very cute.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

how do you move to china?

Apr 7, 2003

Very carefully

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It looks like the flowchart is as follows:

Up to 72 hours: no visa needed for US, EU, most SEA countries
72 hours to 30 days:
Will need either a:
Tourist visa - lots of paperwork but guaranteed if you qualify, can't work or invest
Academic visa - must be sponsored by a Chinese university or research facility to provide some specific service in under 30 days
Employment visa - requested by Chinese employer, can be for 30 days then converted to permanent see below

Permanent residency:
1. Marry a PRC citizen to get "green card" but not citizenship
2. Invest $2M inside special economic zones or $1M outside them for green card
3. Employment residency - your employer pays a fee and is essentially "responsible" for you (if you get in trouble so do they)

Apr 7, 2003

I've posted in the past about the realtor scam that people use, at least in this state, to get houses cheap before they ever show up on the market. At any given time in the US there are 5-10 times the number of licensed realtors compared to houses for sale.

In Pennsylvania, realtors get early access to the MLS and to housing auctions.

The local paper has a section about residents and their houses which is usually just a thinly veiled advertisement before the houses go up for sale.

https://www.post-gazette.com/life/h...es/202207220006

Whoops, turns out she's a realtor.

Wonder how she put that realtor's license to work

It's a great scam if you're fine with loving over everyone around you, I guess.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

MickeyFinn posted:

yeah I worked at a research center In Italy and they gave me an insurance card. I paid nothing to be treated for an outpatient procedure and actually got a few euros back (!) when I picked up my meds. Truly awful, would not recommend.

I have thought about buying a half share into a three bedroom flat my friend's family owns in the city center of Trento and trying to get citizenship based on language fluency, previous "skilled" employment in the country and having friends with family that can pull strings for permanent residency when I'm done working in the US. I am taking care of one of my parents right now and will be working for another 20 years or so in the US. worst comes to worst, a US passport holder can spend up to 180 days in the Schengen area every 365 days. So, spend half the year in the EU and get health care taken care of there instead lol.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

if I had a significant other I’d expat right now.

I am not the best at picking up languages though :(

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol can't wait for PFC to switch tracks suddenly one day and start posting about how cheap/great Wuhan is

quote:

Pittsburgh and Wuhan have a long and deep relationship. After becoming sister cities in 1982, a delegation from Wuhan visited Pittsburgh in 1999 and 2000. In 2000/2001 Wuhan sent a government official to work at the Urban Redevelopment Authority for 10 months to learn about local government operations.

More recently, Sister Cities Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Chinese Cultural Center, and Brothers Brother Foundation sent PPE to Wuhan in the spring of 2020 as a gesture of international cooperation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

there are more people in Wuhan than all of Pennsylvania