Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Camrath posted:

I just sat on the sidelines and drank whisky. :p

I've been to a couple of dos where the dancing was all ceilidhs and for anyone with a dodgy knee or hip or just plain old unfit (including myself here), they're quite excluding.
A lot of people spend their time sitting on the sidelines.

Our CLP did one as a 'fundraiser' (lost £80 once the band and hall hire were paid - luckily one of the members stumped it up) and most people (including the handful of under 40s in the party) couldn't join in because of assorted knees, hearts and so forths that just couldn't do it. I said it was a bad idea!

Pagesnipe: Rendezvous 4+2:02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XG-tZRdTzQ

With the lovely, late, John Wetton on vocals.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jul 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Did anyone see this?
Peter Oborne telling it like it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWsa_sqdYzM

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Posh people at ceilidhs are the worst kind of Scottish Tory GU types. The real thing is doing strip the willow with your shirt unbuttoned sweating pure whisky and causing minor injuries.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Did anyone see this?
Peter Oborne telling it like it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWsa_sqdYzM

Peter Oborne Face Turn

(that's the name of my band)

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

Posh people at ceilidhs are the worst kind of Scottish Tory GU types. The real thing is doing strip the willow with your shirt unbuttoned sweating pure whisky and causing minor injuries.

How do you pronounce this?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jippa posted:

/ðɪs/

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jippa posted:

Kay-lee

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Jippa posted:

Barn dance

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Waiting for a céilí trad version of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQCu8Jp9iwM

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
:golfclap:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

god damnit shes gonna win huh

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
More like piss pus

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Payndz posted:

"Economic policy has been poo poo for the last 20 years, including the most recent 12 when we controlled it. Vote for me!"
'All economic problems are the fault of Gordon Broon, who - as everyone knows - spent All the Poonds' has been a successful election message for the last decade, no reason for them to change it now.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Apraxin posted:

'All economic problems are the fault of Gordon Broon, who - as everyone knows - spent All the Poonds' has been a successful election message for the last decade, no reason for them to change it now.

And also "sold all the gold".

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Apraxin posted:

The Age of Strife, the Long Night and the coming of Chaos are the fault of Gordon Broon

- The Emperor, M29

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/Madz_Grant/status/1550050377625632768

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
You ever wonder what amazing things you could get if you were just willing to sell out your fellow man and become a lick arse for the tories?

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1550051340172279809

A fun sized twix, a hot can of coke and some knock off sun cream, and I'll bury any bad news you want.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Good news everybody!
Any striker can be replaced by an agency worker!
I'm sure enough fully-trained temporary signallers, barristers, doctors, nurses, teachers etc willing to strike-break are available on tap through the agencies....

https://twitter.com/KwasiKwarteng/status/1550081224890351617?s=20

I wonder if the agencies that wrote to the govt a few weeks ago saying 'No' will change their minds now it is no longer illegal?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Picket lines might be about to get a lot more fun

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Good news everybody!
I'm sure enough fully-trained temporary signallers, barristers, doctors, nurses, teachers etc willing to strike-break are available on tap through the agencies....

I wonder if the agencies that wrote to the govt a few weeks ago saying 'No' will change their minds now it is no longer illegal?

So how long before the first agency worker-caused death?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Good news everybody!

I'm sure those agency personal will have a right of audience before they are sent into a court. Right?

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Grinding the economy to a halt is what tories do, not trade unions.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Who remembers this prick?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Good news everybody!

I've literally said aloud "I'm glad I emigrated" four times this week and it's only Thursday.

Like, it doesn't loving matter if it's a skilled or unskilled job - gently caress it if it's a doctor or someone on the till at Tesco's - literally all this is doing is stealing the dignity and powers from the plebs so we can do as we please. Because we can, and gently caress you.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Good news everybody!

I don't have anything to say here except "Jesus loving Christ"

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

NotJustANumber99 posted:

My ceilidh experience is everyone refusing to take no for an answer, completely unbelieving that someone might not want to take part, to the point where I just left.

as someone who has had various flavours of social anxiety over the years I can confirm that one of the worst kinds of people are those who not only refuse to believe that a person could genuinely not enjoy an activity that they themselves enjoy, but who believe that being a total rear end in a top hat to the near or total stranger not wanting to do the thing until they reluctantly relent to make it stop is a helpful act. turns out if you let the person feel comfortable regardless and do not make them the main character of the entire room until they force themselves to go through the motions then they can have a decent time doing whatever else, and might even be able to do the thing of their own volition one day in their own time

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
criminal offence option for business

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

My ceilidh experience is everyone refusing to take no for an answer, completely unbelieving that someone might not want to take part, to the point where I just left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2qC-7MXovY

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I hated Ceilidh dancing when I was a shy and nerdy child. Now I'm a lively and cool jock I love it. Stop being nerds, you nerds.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/MrRBourne/status/1549876093800353795

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3g04Zztey8

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Just saw an article titled "Mario Draghi resigns, plunging Italy into political turmoil" and all I could think was where are the articles about Britain plunging into political turmoil.

He didn't even have any major scandals or anything, either.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Private Speech posted:

Just saw an article titled "Mario Draghi resigns, plunging Italy into political turmoil" and all I could think was where are the articles about Britain plunging into political turmoil.

Someone grab the player 2 controller

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Private Speech posted:

Third government collapse in three years and Italy's on the verge of the post-Mussolini fascist party taking the reigns of power. So silver linings to our particular level of knee-high turdwater.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Tesseraction posted:

Third government collapse in three years and Italy's on the verge of the post-Mussolini fascist party taking the reigns of power. So silver linings to our particular level of knee-high turdwater.

Israel, looking at Italy and the UK from the sidelines:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Good news everybody!

Lol this will end well

Miners strikes 2.0 lads!

Oh. Oh no.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Angepain posted:

as someone who has had various flavours of social anxiety over the years I can confirm that one of the worst kinds of people are those who not only refuse to believe that a person could genuinely not enjoy an activity that they themselves enjoy, but who believe that being a total rear end in a top hat to the near or total stranger not wanting to do the thing until they reluctantly relent to make it stop is a helpful act. turns out if you let the person feel comfortable regardless and do not make them the main character of the entire room until they force themselves to go through the motions then they can have a decent time doing whatever else, and might even be able to do the thing of their own volition one day in their own time

Gonzo McFee posted:

I hated Ceilidh dancing when I was a shy and nerdy child. Now I'm a lively and cool jock I love it. Stop being nerds, you nerds.

Hmm.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Anyone watching Pointless this week?

Question's on the left, answer's on the right, number in the middle is the number of people out of 100 who got the right answer.
23 people apparently couldn't answer 'Next number after seven, begins with 'e', 5 letters'.

They probably all vote.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Unkempt posted:

Question's on the left, answer's on the right, number in the middle is the number of people out of 100 who got the right answer.
23 people apparently couldn't answer 'Next number after seven, begins with 'e', 5 letters'.

They probably all vote.

Pointless frequently reveals alarming gaps of knowledge like this.

And that's just Richard Osman!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Unkempt posted:

They probably all vote.

For Liz Truss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Unkempt posted:

They probably all vote.

That's encouraging

numbers are for woke snowflake sheeple