Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m at the very last silent realms trial and I just gave up on the game. Having to repeat poo poo over and over is tedious as hell to me. One day I’ll finish the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Maybe I'm weird but I loved the silent realms stuff too. Finding out that there was a 4th one in Skyloft actually made me happy. They're fun action stealth puzzle segments, and honestly one of the highlights of SS for me

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah same. the stealth in them is like super casual too, it's mostly about planning your route well and sprinting through instead of waiting for hours for patrol routes like some stealth minigames can degenerate to

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

people had trouble with the silent realms?

they were so easy, but I do recall them being pretty intense at the time

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I liked the Silent Realms and whatever the Twilight Princess version was called just because they were a nice change of pace. TP'S were especially thematic with all the terrified NPCs.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

people had trouble with the silent realms?

they were so easy, but I do recall them being pretty intense at the time

For me, it's not so much that they're super difficult, more that I generally don't like that kind of times/instafail challenge. I didn't even die last time I played, but I still didn't enjoy it because the stress was still there.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Captain Hygiene posted:

For me, it's not so much that they're super difficult, more that I generally don't like that kind of times/instafail challenge. I didn't even die last time I played, but I still didn't enjoy it because the stress was still there.

that sounds like a you problem

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I wouldn't have minded the silent realms as much if there was a way to reset the guardians' aggro WITHOUT the tears

because there's nothing more frustrating than getting 14 of them, having a poe catch you, and then the mission becoming impossible because the last one is on top of a building and there's literally no way to dodge through the insta-kill attacks

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Playing BOTW for the first time and about to finish the fourth divine beast. Have 15 hearts and 2 full stamina wheels. Do you guys recommend I beat Ganon first to finish the story or do the two DLCs (Trial of the Sword & Champion’s Ballad) first?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The DLC first is fun imo

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Personally I'd beat Ganon. You don't get a prize for beating him, as usual, but the castle is the only real dungeon in the game and super cool to explore if you haven't yet.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Love the castle but never understood why it's regarded as a dungeon

It doesn't feel much like one to me

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It's more of a castle once you get out of the dungeon

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I really enjoyed it but its almost impossible for me conceptualize navigation from any two given points in the castle. I just wander in and out until I find the right passageway to where I want to go.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The first time I did the castle I skipped like half of it because instead of trying to find the entrance I just Revali’s Gale’d from a high point into it, then used the Zora suit to cruise up all the waterfalls lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

in a well actually posted:

I really enjoyed it but its almost impossible for me conceptualize navigation from any two given points in the castle. I just wander in and out until I find the right passageway to where I want to go.

That's my problem, I wander around there, and some games it takes a while and some games I just end up where I wanted to be really fast. I've beaten it multiple times, and I still don't have any real feel in my head for its layout like I do with other games' dungeons.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Chronojam posted:

It's more of a castle once you get out of the dungeon

Its got everything from the docks to the basement dungeons to the study, library all the way to the tippy top photo op. I love it. It’s not heavily reminiscent of Z1’s dungeons of interconnected television shaped squares but the logical evolution of it over 30+ years.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It also has some of the best music in the entire franchise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lEQVeXWX6o

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
All other Zelda music pales in comparison to Koji Kondo's magnum opus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQE8y2abc8c

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Playing BOTW for the first time and about to finish the fourth divine beast. Have 15 hearts and 2 full stamina wheels. Do you guys recommend I beat Ganon first to finish the story or do the two DLCs (Trial of the Sword & Champion’s Ballad) first?

If you're anything like me, do not beat Ganon until you're ready to be done with the game for a while.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Also you really shouldn't do the Ganon fight until you have a kickass motorcycle to do it in style.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

All other Zelda music pales in comparison to Koji Kondo's magnum opus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQE8y2abc8c

Wind Waker just has such a bangin’ soundtrack, Dragon Roost Island handily beats BOTW Hyrule Castle as my favorite track of the franchise

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Wind Waker just has such a bangin’ soundtrack, Dragon Roost Island handily beats BOTW Hyrule Castle as my favorite track of the franchise

Same. I actually had Dragon Roost stuck in my head just earlier this week. gently caress it's so good!!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dragon Roost is in the top few for sure. The slower version in Rito Village is one of my favorite bits in BotW too.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
This guy's cover rules, especially the bass guitar hhhhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kf9-_ihLrQ

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Dragon Roost is in the top few for sure. The slower version in Rito Village is one of my favorite bits in BotW too.

It took me a minute to recognize it, but once I did, it became firmly lodged in my long list of “holy poo poo, BOTW loving owns” moments

Speaking of which, I took a trip overseas recently and started a new play through on my 9hr flight back from Europe - my first since 2019 - and I think the only time I put it down was to eat - while it’ll never be as magical as the first play through, the opening hours of the game are still just as delightful as ever

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Hyrule castle is one of the few real highlights of BotW and i hope BotW2 has more bits like it
I like that you can sneak in early and grab some semi-decent weapons

(this isn't to say botw is bad, it's good all around, but there's not a lot of real "wow" moments)

also after playing Skyward Sword and loving the level design, i really hope BotW2 goes back to having actual dungeons. because with the exception of the DLC one, the divine beasts are all Hella Lame and incredibly same-y

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

the "wow" moment in botw is the entire game actually

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Amppelix posted:

the "wow" moment in botw is the entire game actually

It's what the "W" in "BotW" stands for.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

(this isn't to say botw is bad, it's good all around, but there's not a lot of real "wow" moments)

waht the gently caress??? ?

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

The Maroon Hawk posted:

waht the gently caress??? ?

I know. BotW was the first game in probably 20 years that gave me a child-like sense of wonder. You can fault it on many levels, but “wow-factor” isn’t one of them

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The first time I stepped out into the world I went "wow" and then when I landed off the plateau I went "wowwww" and then I said it so many more times throughout my playthrough that i grew an Owen Wilson nose.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
At every moment of botw, I said "this is exactly what I expected".

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

At every moment of botw, I said "this is exactly what I expected".

Always expecting to be wowed is a great approach to take when playing one of the best videogames of all time.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I can see how BotW becomes a bit too formulaic, sure. Once you know that every major reward is a shrine or a Korok, if you're the type of player motivated by in-game rewards, you can become fairly frustrated by this approach.
There's not a lot of places like Satori Mt. or Eventide.

Here's a thing I wish for with BotW2 that the original massively overlooked:

Give me a good staff roll.

Out of the main entries, LttP, Ocarina, Majora, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword all had fantastic endings that pretty much detailed little NPC interactions in the form of "here's what happened afterwards". Skyward Sword did a slightly different thing but it closely resembled previous entries in that regard.

BotW could've stuck the landing with that, but failed to do so massively. In a game all about freedom, seeing little scenes with your choices in them would be fantastic. I imagine it wouldn't be that hard to program, too. Instead we got jpegs with some in-game music over them.

BotW doesn't have the most memorable sidequests, but even the "collect 10 rat asses" ones would be improved for, I imagine, every player, if they saw it make a difference within the world, and there's no better place for it than post-ending as other Zelda games pretty much do that.

For example: if you did the Crazy Flower Lady shrine credits could roll with a little cutscene of remaining Bokoblins stepping on them with her subsequently beating them up. A few shots of Tarrey Town could've been present, as well as Great Fairies you've helped. A few scenes from your house. Some people enjoying the beach you've cleared up as part of the Hateno quest. Koko cooking. Girl from Hateno taking care of the sheep you rescued. That one dude running at hyper-speed after you gave him 50 mushrooms. All that.

In a game that stresses player freedom it doesn't do much to actually reward you, as most quest rewards can be gotten elsewhere and I feel like something like that would've gone a long way to make sidequests more interesting and NPCs more memorable.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The thought of them spending 6 years on BOTW2 has been both frustrating, in that I want it Right Now, and tantalizing, in that I can't even imagine what they're going to do with it and it's going to be so good.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Winifred Madgers posted:

The thought of them spending 6 years on BOTW2 has been both frustrating, in that I want it Right Now, and tantalizing, in that I can't even imagine what they're going to do with it and it's going to be so good.

What if I told you that the only thing they've been working on is stronger and more terrifying expressions for Link to have as he interacts with more and more great fairies and they get up in his personal space.

One of the dungeons is a Jonah and the Whale style "help I'm inside a great fairy because she ate me!" Dungeon.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'm in.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah because she ate you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sadly i think a large part of the reason botw 2 is taking so long is simply the pandemic which hit at what would've most likely been a very critical point in its development.