Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Half off most vinyl at Target, I wouldn't bother if it's out of the way though, mine was already completely cleared out by flippers.

edit--> I found another Target that didn't have the price tags up yet and managed to snag a few 'deals'. Then went home and noticed all of them are priced the same or less on Discogs already. So many people are trying to flip at once that some of them panicked and listed at a loss.

Look at this, lol. I picked up the new RHCP on clearance for $18.99, MSRP is $37.99. New sealed on Discogs is $16.00. Why not just return it to the store at that point?
https://www.discogs.com/release/22726085-Red-Hot-Chili-Peppers-Unlimited-Love

edit 2--> RHCP is going back to Target, there's a big rear end bubble in the vinyl. Thus ends the tale of the retail vinyl adventure.

Boinks fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

I wish I was aborted.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
It was my bday on sunday and that means time to spend some money I got on vinyl

waiting for my deliveries of

Bright Eyes - Letting Off The Happiness & Down In The Weeds, Where The World Once Was
Eisley - Room Noises
Spanish Love Songs - Brave Faces Etc.
Alkaline Trio - Is This Thing Cursed
Aaron West And The Roaring Twenties - Routine Maintenance
The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die - Illusory Walls

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Despite all my crying a few weeks ago about how I need to slow down on my record buying, I just picked up Oracular Spectacular by MGMT and It's Blitz by The Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I just got Weightless by the Skinny Boys (one of their songs was used as the Workaholics theme song). :getin:

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

Despite all my crying a few weeks ago about how I need to slow down on my record buying, I just picked up Oracular Spectacular by MGMT and It's Blitz by The Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

In the last two months I have bought or pre-ordered 36 records.

I'm new to the game, so gotta build up that base collection... At least, that's what I tell myself!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

spinst posted:

I'm new to the game, so gotta build up that base collection... At least, that's what I tell myself!

You probably don't even have The Lonely Bull

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

spinst posted:

I've been building a base for 20 years hahahahahaheheheheheheheheeeeeeeeeeeeee........*sobbing*

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Lol I know we've been fairly insulated in this thread from the larger story in vinyl happening right now, but its been confirmed that MoFi hasnt been cutting AAA pressings at earliest 2015, but from this lengthy interview its sounding like its goes back even further:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shg0780YgAE

this all started initially from a rumor mike was airing out about concerning the upcoming one-step Michael Jackson 'Thriller' release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtJRis-Ba1Q

then it snowballed out and so he was invited by MoFi to have a chat at their headquarters and flew himself out to the Bay Area to go and chat with them. Now the guys who have been touting the AAA process and "I can hear the difference between Analog and Digital and digital is bad" all got egg on their faces.

Just bad business not being transparent with their customers on MoFi's part. You know why folks are clamoring for your expensive (both in retail and in the secondary market) vinyl cuts and you werent being truthful about the source. Doesnt take away from the enjoyment of the actual music or that hey, digital can and does sound good and you cant tell the difference, but just bad business on their part not divulging on that and not saying anything when publicly they're known as the analog source guys.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

man who even gives a gently caress when they don't have any pressings of anything you can buy on their website, it's all either pre-orders or sold out.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

maybe now it wont be that way. especially for the analog "purists".

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I remember hearing people accusing them of some of their releases not being AAA pressings all the way back in 2008. They've probably been fudging the facts for a long time. I don't care all that much but it's kind of hilarious considering who usually buys MoFi pressings and the fact that the retail price is just about double what it use to be.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i like them because they're just really nice copies of records that I know aren't going to be hosed up pressings

it's not, like, some kind of magical thinking or something where I'm A/Bing against them to find white hot stampers or testing my marble-encased power brick and artisinal wood turntable in a pressure-treated room or anything

but, for example, I'm almost certainly going to spring for a mofi copy of weezer's blue album because the most recent pressing is loving terrible and those are basically your only two options

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

dorium posted:

maybe now it wont be that way. especially for the analog "purists".

I don't have "audiophile" hardware or even GOOD hardware, but i've got a The Naked Party LP that appeared really limited in the sound and was confirmed on the discogs page to see it was just a cd drop onto vinyl.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

hexwren posted:

i like them because they're just really nice copies of records that I know aren't going to be hosed up pressings

it's not, like, some kind of magical thinking or something where I'm A/Bing against them to find white hot stampers or testing my marble-encased power brick and artisinal wood turntable in a pressure-treated room or anything

but, for example, I'm almost certainly going to spring for a mofi copy of weezer's blue album because the most recent pressing is loving terrible and those are basically your only two options

I haven't heard the MoFi Electric Warrior but I have the Rhino reissue from around 2006 or 07 which I'm pretty sure is a AAA pressing as several Rhino reissues were at the time and I can't imagine anything sounding better than that does. That retailed for under 20 bucks. Suck it, MoFi.

Looks like it can be had for pretty cheap. I recommend it if you can't get your hands on something more expensive.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1175959?ev=rb

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 21, 2022

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

absolutely getting that because I do not have an electric warrior and that is a tragedy

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

The Kevin Gray cut of Electric Warrior (https://www.discogs.com/release/11034499-T-Rex-Electric-Warrior)is probably the best re-press of it, beating out even the MoFi, but that earlier Rhino one is real good too.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Got part of my orders in:
Bright Eyes - Down In The Weeds, Where The World Once Was
The World Is a Beautiful Place - Illusory Walls
Eisley - Room Noises
Spanish Love Songs - Brave Faces Etc.
Alkaline Trio - Is This Thing Cursed

Amazon sent me 2 copies of the Alkaline Trio album even though I only ordered one.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

A buddy of mine used to play with this guy.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

petit choux posted:

A buddy of mine used to play with this guy.

That's rad. I like this song a lot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGNmY9-M2RE

and this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA7OGlHld1U

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Yeah, that second one is the one I remember him by. But John wasn't in the band back then. He was for the "Something about Amy" soundtrack, I think it was called.

John was a DC bike messenger who played guitar, was a fairly outspoken leftist, and delivered packages in gym shorts with white piping throughout the 90s, and had a rock and roll star grade mane of brown hair. He was always one of my favorites, he kept to himself quite a bit.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 21, 2022

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I really like how this Spanish Love Songs record looks

it's clear so you can see some of the design of my Minus The Bear turntable mat but the record itself is nice. I like the white splatter and the green blob.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

esperantinc posted:

The Kevin Gray cut of Electric Warrior (https://www.discogs.com/release/11034499-T-Rex-Electric-Warrior)is probably the best re-press of it, beating out even the MoFi, but that earlier Rhino one is real good too.

Kevin Gray also cut some of those very, very good Black Sabbath reissues Rhino put out in the mid-late 2000s. If this release of Electric Warrior is on par with those then it's certainly worth seeking out.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I finally got the last of the records out of the apartment. I told y'all about this crate of DJ records I bought, I was just taking a slightly closer look and I found a couple albums in with the singles.

And these singles are really kinda something. It's like all hits nobody remembers much. I think this DJ was probably going for that. There's your tone loc doing funky cool medinah, 50 different versions of Planet Rock, but mostly it's ones less remembered than that.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

I finally got the last of the records out of the apartment. I told y'all about this crate of DJ records I bought, I was just taking a slightly closer look and I found a couple albums in with the singles.

And these singles are really kinda something. It's like all hits nobody remembers much. I think this DJ was probably going for that. There's your tone loc doing funky cool medinah, 50 different versions of Planet Rock, but mostly it's ones less remembered than that.

Disco is a good album

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Disco is a good album

Eh, I'll check it out, never a big fan of Pet Shop Boys, except I want to reminisce one moment about being homeless in New Orleans in 1988, just wandering around town, going into one of the big gay bars there, and they were blasting "You Were Always On My Mind." I'd never heard that version before and somehow at that moment, walking into a huge gay bar during the ultimate height of the AIDS epidemic and hearing that tune was a really powerful experience. I don't know if that conveys the entirety of it, but that was a moment.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Here, I haven't listened to this and I'm not sure I'd enjoy it but I buy any record associated with the people who made the threepenny opera.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Dopesmoker arrived today. Really nice package. Sounds really good and the records are flat. That "patch" tho. I think it is made out of paper or something. Mines all crumpled up and looks like poo poo. Haha don't think it would last a day sewn onto clothing. Anyways bought it for the music and not the dumb tchotchkes. 9 outta 10. Thumbs up.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

sporklift posted:

Dopesmoker arrived today. Really nice package. Sounds really good and the records are flat. That "patch" tho. I think it is made out of paper or something. Mines all crumpled up and looks like poo poo. Haha don't think it would last a day sewn onto clothing. Anyways bought it for the music and not the dumb tchotchkes. 9 outta 10. Thumbs up.

I mean shoot Third Man an email and they'll send you a fresh patch. They've plenty to spare, be a Karen, live laugh love

I'm currently finagling with three entities, one for a big dumb vanity lyric book that I ordered June 2021 and finally arrive two weeks ago all damaged af; another for a rekkid I ordered in November that arrived bent up; and a CD I ordered in April that they just haven't fukken shipped yet. And yet the insufferable nerd persisted.

pwn fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 23, 2022

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I finally just scored a Ying Yang Twins album on vinyl for a reasonable price. :getin: I grew up in the South as the crunk genre was blowing up, so many of these trashy-rear end strip club songs have a special place in my heart and make me "get buck" (translation for the Northerners: this does NOT mean "get naked") like nothing else. :allears:

My partner and I are only 1.5 years apart, but with him living his whole life in California, it's always funny to see which hip hop songs were more "regional" (songs I know by heart but that he's never heard before dating me).

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 23, 2022

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

it's always funny to see which hip hop songs were more "regional" (songs I know by heart but that he's never heard before dating me).

This was always interesting to me and it's sad a lot of regional specific dance music doesn't really exist anymore and thanks to socials won't again. I was a huge fan of florida breaks but good luck fining those records outside of the south [before discogs], west coast trance was fast and acidy while out east it was slower and deep, and of course there's a reason it was called Bmore club . Everything's homogenized now; yeah you get new sounds and scenes but they converge so quickly instead of growing locally.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

I mean shoot Third Man an email and they'll send you a fresh patch. They've plenty to spare, be a Karen, live laugh love

I'm currently finagling with three entities, one for a big dumb vanity lyric book that I ordered June 2021 and finally arrive two weeks ago all damaged af; another for a rekkid I ordered in November that arrived bent up; and a CD I ordered in April that they just haven't fukken shipped yet. And yet the insufferable nerd persisted.

There was a Raconteurs live album from the Vault about ten years ago that was clearly a bad pressing. So I contacted their customer service rep and he condescendingly explained to me that live albums just sound that way. So when I explained to him that I own hundreds of records and some of my favorite albums are live albums he relented and sent me a second copy. That one had the same issue, and then a third and the same issue. I'd managed to find out from some nerd on a forum that what happened is when they pressed the record the plates didn't evenly apply pressure so pretty much all copies were like this. He never admitted it to me but which ever nerd had shown everyone the email he got from this same rep explaining that. So I continued to insist that it was obviously a pressing issue. He eventually sent me a test pressing probably because he was sick of hearing from me. And lo and behold the sound of the test pressing and the regular one was night and day. I've seen a lot of people online having the same complaint about that record and I think it's super lovely that they just pretended nothing wrong with it and didn't tell the subscribers and offer a replacement because gently caress you we got you money already. Especially for sixty bucks.

Anyway, they're very responsive to these issues and seeing how much they gently caress up I'm sure you'll get your patch if you just ask nicely. Sometimes they ask you to wait until all the packages are out and if it's like it was then then there's only one person dealing with it.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Third Man has replaced some records for me. Never had a problem with that. It's just that the patch is so lame and flimsy that the only reason to care about it is keeping the package complete. Maybe I'll shoot them an email but I dunno...:effort:

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I did a 4ish hour vinyl set at my friends brewery today. It was a bit all over the place, wasn't able to record it but did make a YouTube playlist of most the tracks if anyone's interested.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgKL6piPKll6_ERvbOpQ7MpP4_GaPWx6M

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Arrived three weeks early

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

for shits and giggles, I glanced at target's vinyl today while there for toothpaste and bandages

the new tears for fears record was still half-off, so I got that

I checked to see if the 4LP donda was, for a laugh and/or as a weird artifact, but it was still the full $55, so no way

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

hexwren posted:

for shits and giggles, I glanced at target's vinyl today while there for toothpaste and bandages

the new tears for fears record was still half-off, so I got that

I checked to see if the 4LP donda was, for a laugh and/or as a weird artifact, but it was still the full $55, so no way

That one's not exactly flying off the shelves. Wait a while.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I loving love the "vinyl revival".

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Which release is that,?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

dorium posted:

Arrived three weeks early

So mad I didn't get in on the castle face or Permanent record variants.