Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

FMguru posted:

My favorite example of TSR overproduction was a series of linked adventure modules for the Maztica setting, where you would have products that TSR paid full price to write, edit, layout, art design, print, market, ship, warehouse, and account for, but were only bought by 1) DMs (not players) who 2) bought pre-pack adventure modules, who 3) played in the Forgotten Realms and, more specifically, 4) played in the Maztica sub-region of FR, and who had 5) already played through the first module and wanted to continue on to the second. Someone who didn't meet ALL FIVE of those requirements would not pick or even look for more than a few seconds at the product. Spending all that money to make something that literally 98% of your target audience had zero use for or even the ability to use. Multiple that times a dozen products every month, month after month, year after year, and it's easy to see how TSR drove itself into the ground.

Yeah, there's a reason the edition after, WotC was like "ok, we'll just make a license situation where we pawn these books off on other people so we can just sell stuff that sells" and, you know what? It worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
OA was also an AD&D 1E core book at a time when there weren't many of those, and unlike a lot of its contemporaries (Wilderness Survival Guide, Manual Of The Planes, etc.) it was full of usable (and official) crunch (new races, new classes, new spells, new monsters, new magic items, etc.). Plus, pretty decent cover art.

No surprise it sold a ton of copies.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

FMguru posted:

OA was also an AD&D 1E core book at a time when there weren't many of those, and unlike a lot of its contemporaries (Wilderness Survival Guide, Manual Of The Planes, etc.) it was full of usable (and official) crunch (new races, new classes, new spells, new monsters, new magic items, etc.). Plus, pretty decent cover art.

No surprise it sold a ton of copies.

Definitely- OA was a lot more unique when it came out. It was dumb, but it actually fit a lot better into how people played than the other stuff.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

PeterWeller posted:

Forgotten Realms even had its own comic for a bit there (Dragonlance too).

Yeah, I wonder if that chart is a little misleading about OA's success as a setting--how many people bought and used that book because they wanted to set adventures in Kara Tur versus how many people bought and used that book because they wanted to include ninjas and kung-fu in whatever other setting they were using.

That'll be at least part of the appeal of any setting, though. I'm sure plenty of people played in Eberron, but I'm guessing at least as many just played Artificers and Warforged in their existing games.

Obviously that's thrown off significantly by the words "samurai" and "ninja" but generally I think it's impossible to separate a D&D setting from the rules that it adds.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hey, I'm still really confused as to how it was even possible for Neo-TSR to publish anything Star Frontiers related. Are they just blatantly violating copyright while WotC already has a lawsuit pending?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 21, 2022

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Halloween Jack posted:

Hey, I'm still really confused as to how it was even possible for Neo-TSR to publish anything Star Frontiers related. Are they just blatantly violating copyright while WotC's already has a lawsuit pending?

Sure seems that way.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Panzeh posted:

Good post, yeah, it's one of the things that has me wanting to get into it on a paid basis- just a more engaged group of players who are here for it.

Megazver posted:

I'm very interested in the topic, so that was great, thanks!

What do you do to actually find players? How many games a week do you run? How do you price stuff?

Currently I run 2 games a week, Almost all of my players come from startplaying games listings but I do post them on reddit just to get some more eyes on them.

I charge 10$ per session, per player for my current games but I'm gona be testing 20$ for a game I'm starting up in august.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

given how many times i've compared (my ideal of) GMing to heel wrestlers it's pretty cool to hear this from someone who actually worked in that sector :v:

thank you for sharing!

glad the post was helpful!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Halloween Jack posted:

Hey, I'm still really confused as to how it was even possible for Neo-TSR to publish anything Star Frontiers related. Are they just blatantly violating copyright while WotC already has a lawsuit pending?

Yes. It seems like they're trying to generate some cash for the legal battle, or maybe get while they still can.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Gynovore posted:

Holy poo poo, I could write a book on 'stuff I found at KB toys over the last 30 years'. From what I gather, their policy is to never send stuff that won't sell back to the warehouse, but rather to put in on the back shelf and mark it down repeatedly. I once bought two BOXES of Steve Jackson's Battlecards there for $10 each.

I bought ten copies of Siege of the Citadel at ten bux each. That set me up for a serious Algaroth army for Warzone...Ten Ezoghouls alone!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Halloween Jack posted:

They've been pushing Star Frontiers as a line they're "reviving" since last June, right after the press release that started the running chain of embarrassing social media meltdowns and legal slapfights. They claimed to have a print run of books that sold out immediately in October 2021, and picture showing a stack of Star Frontiers books that looked photoshopped:

https://www.enworld.org/attachments/sfng_stock_manipulated-jpg.157197/

It seems like the only game they're actually trying to publish right now, after Giantlands split off into its own company. The WotC lawsuit started in March of this year and Star Frontiers is one of the IPs named as one the two companies are fighting over. A copy of the countersuit from WotC is listed in this ENWorld write up from when the prior nazi allegations came out on Dave Johnson in May. NuTSR filed a trademark for Star Frontiers, but WotC is pretty unambiguously the owner of the IP right now.

So yeah, they are trying to publish a book written by a white supremacist for a game line they most likely don't have the legal rights to.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 21, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Thank you! I knew it had to be more convoluted than it seemed to be, since nuTSR is involved.

Maybe there will be some kind of silver lining, like WotC will want to publish some Star Frontiers related stuff for 5e to get the bad taste out of everyone's mouth. Maybe somebody's already doing that on DM's Guild, Idunno.

Edit: That's a lame cover for Star Frontiers, by the way. Not that it's a bad illo in itself, but you'd think they would want something reminiscent of the Larry Elmore covers for the rulebooks and the Endless Quest books. But that's...an orc stepping out of a portal? Lame.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 21, 2022

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think they’re using Star Frontier species in Spelljammer 5e stuff?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
https://mobile.twitter.com/CHofferCBus/status/1550104271236071424

(D&D movie poster has stolen art from Pathfinder rulebook...)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Thranguy posted:

Isn’t that just a grell?

I swear I could find similar art going back through random books I’ve had since I was a kid.

Regardless, that’s not really “stolen art”. It’s art of a similar concept which is a much more difficult legal thing ; “i drew this specific brain with a beak” vs “nuh uh I invented beak-brain.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Isn’t that just a grell?

I swear I could find similar art going back through random books I’ve had since I was a kid.

Regardless, that’s not really “stolen art”. It’s art of a similar concept which is a much more difficult legal thing ; “i drew this specific brain with a beak” vs “nuh uh I invented beak-brain.

Turn on your monitor

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Isn’t that just a grell?

It's literally traced. Like the whorls on the brain are identical.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

admanb posted:

That'll be at least part of the appeal of any setting, though. I'm sure plenty of people played in Eberron, but I'm guessing at least as many just played Artificers and Warforged in their existing games.

Obviously that's thrown off significantly by the words "samurai" and "ninja" but generally I think it's impossible to separate a D&D setting from the rules that it adds.

Yeah, that's a good point. But also, the setting part of Oriental Adventures is secondary to the mechanics in a way that Eberron or, say, Dark Sun isn't. There are about 5 pages covering Kara-Tur out of the entire 144 page book.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I didn't realize goon faceblindness could extend to things without faces.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Isn’t that just a grell?

Grell are the beaked brains that float around with a mass of tentacles below like flying jellyfish. That's an Intellect Devourer. Got to get your brain ducks in a row.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
According to Twitter the poster is by Boss Logic, famed photoshopper.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Like has anything come out for Cortex since they finished the handbook and the really broad overview website? Or any licensed game settings it was promising? I guess this is getting into actual industry talk now though.
In this thread: Modiphius just released their new SRD. The SRD does not currently have a license attached to it, those announcements are coming in August. But they've been pretty clear there are three options:
  1. Use it to make free stuff
  2. Work out a deal with them to release it however you want (Kickstarter, itch.io, whatever)
  3. Release stuff for your own settings or settings owned by Modiphius, but only through one of those DriveThru Community Creator stores

I thought #3 was interesting, because along with Fandom's Cortex (and Cypher, I think), we're seeing kind of a third stage of "using other people's stuff".

First, you couldn't make D&D stuff without talking to TSR, Vampire stuff without talking to [whomever], etc.

Then came the OGL, and you had games like 3.X and Fate and Blades.

Now, we're in this third stage, where companies are releasing rules text and encouraging you to use that rules text to sell your own setting, your own IP, but they get a cut because it's their system.

I just thought that was kind of fascinating.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Leperflesh posted:

It's literally traced. Like the whorls on the brain are identical.

Ah. Phone-posting. Sorry, those images don’t have that much fidelity when they’re postage stamp sized.

My bad.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Xiahou Dun posted:

Ah. Phone-posting. Sorry, those images don’t have that much fidelity when they’re postage stamp sized.

My bad.

They are a literal copy and paste, yes.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Trademark law, not copyright, but otherwise yep.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Art Thieves

Warthur
May 2, 2004

FMguru posted:

As far as I can tell, the double money fountains of Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance novels meant that TSR spent the 90s trying to create another broadly popular fantasy world that they could use to sell novels and trading cards and computer games and wall calendars. Whether they made any sense as gaming settings or as gaming products wasn't something they cared that much about - they were all about trying to get lightning to strike a third time, which is why they kept cranking out new world settings.
Witness the example of Dark Sun. The original boxed set was very solid, but the whole point of the setting was to sell the Prism Pentad novels, to the point where once that series finished they out out a new box to present the world as it existed afterwards and whoops! suddenly all the cool conflicts in the original box were fixed by canon NPCs, it's a solved setting now, sorry.

OK, not quite, they added new plot. But it wasn't as attention-grabbing as the original stuff, and still felt like showing up after the party's over if that was your first Dark Sun product (as it was for me, I missed the boat on the original box). It makes sense that for 4E they rewound to the original status quo almost entirely (they have the first of the city-states overthrow their sorcerer-king, but that makes sense because it gives your PCs a home base to start from which the original box admittedly lacked).

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The 4e book did have some good additions and thoughtfully included a rule variant to remove the loot treadmill which doubled as a bonus to people who didn't wanna hand out magic items in other games. I like the setting stuff that establishes a good starting point for the characters with a free city that also has a power vacuum that makes for a good source of conflict and intrigue for players to get involved in. Good stuff

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Glagha posted:

The 4e book did have some good additions and thoughtfully included a rule variant to remove the loot treadmill which doubled as a bonus to people who didn't wanna hand out magic items in other games. I like the setting stuff that establishes a good starting point for the characters with a free city that also has a power vacuum that makes for a good source of conflict and intrigue for players to get involved in. Good stuff
Yeah, I remember 4E dark sun owning bones, even if I don't think they brought up the cool elemental plane stuff much.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

FMguru posted:

As far as I can tell, the double money fountains of Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance novels meant that TSR spent the 90s trying to create another broadly popular fantasy world that they could use to sell novels and trading cards and computer games and wall calendars. Whether they made any sense as gaming settings or as gaming products wasn't something they cared that much about - they were all about trying to get lightning to strike a third time, which is why they kept cranking out new world settings.

I think this is key to understanding what was going on at the time. While a lot of the old setting boxes did poorly as money-makers (TSR lost money with every Planescape Campaign Setting box they sold, for example, because the msrp was less than what it cost them to manufacture and ship), the raw numbers in terms of sales and profit per unit were deceptive because by the late 80's TSR had realized that the real money was in the tie-in novels. Those were incredibly cheap to produce, and the Drizzt novels alone sold more than 30 million copies. Ravenloft may not have done as well as even Greyhawk, but the novel sales numbers were quite respectable. It's likely at least some parts of the company came to see new settings something like the way Disney views Marvel comic books - it may not be very profitable, but it's a great place to set up and mine for content for the real product.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://twitter.com/BrainClouds/status/1549500278763929605

I think "YOU ARE SUDE AND YOU ARE DONE!!!!" is a candidate for a new thread title.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Warthur posted:

They are also, other than Oriental Adventures, the ones which had multiple "core setting releases". Dragonlance had the 1E hardcover and the Tales of the Lance box in 2E; Greyhawk had the original box and a 2E repackaging; Forgotten Realms had several core releases; Ravenloft had three (original box, revised box, Domains of Dread hardcover). Dark Sun had 2.

Once you account for that, Birthright, Planescape, Spelljammer, and Al-Qadim don't seem to have done too shabbily, given that they only had one core release each (and Birthright's one was close to the end of the era covered, Spelljammer's dropped out of sight before the mid-1990s so far as I can tell...).

The original link has more charts showing Dragonlance and FR different core set sales, and the only one that grew compared to its predecessor was the 2e introductory hardcover Forgotten Realms Adventures. Even for TSR's big tentpole lines they were selling less and less.

So the chart that's listed here is solely the first box set for DL and FR.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Kurieg posted:

I think "YOU ARE SUDE AND YOU ARE DONE!!!!" is a candidate for a new thread title.

:emptyquote:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ok

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

...lmao gently caress, I said "sude" allowed when I saw the title changed and realized that I gave the Nazi way too much credit by reading it as "suicide" as in "kill yourself" and not "sued". I forgot he's from the argument school of legal threats and not the internet school of arguing online.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

CitizenKeen posted:

According to Twitter the poster is by Boss Logic, famed photoshopper.

In this thread: Modiphius just released their new SRD. The SRD does not currently have a license attached to it, those announcements are coming in August. But they've been pretty clear there are three options:
  1. Use it to make free stuff
  2. Work out a deal with them to release it however you want (Kickstarter, itch.io, whatever)
  3. Release stuff for your own settings or settings owned by Modiphius, but only through one of those DriveThru Community Creator stores

I thought #3 was interesting, because along with Fandom's Cortex (and Cypher, I think), we're seeing kind of a third stage of "using other people's stuff".

First, you couldn't make D&D stuff without talking to TSR, Vampire stuff without talking to [whomever], etc.

Then came the OGL, and you had games like 3.X and Fate and Blades.

Now, we're in this third stage, where companies are releasing rules text and encouraging you to use that rules text to sell your own setting, your own IP, but they get a cut because it's their system.

I just thought that was kind of fascinating.

So for Modiphius that would be 2d20 system things? It makes some sense because that's what's been sustaining D&D 5e. Put out one or two big tent pole "official" books per year, open a storefront for "second party" supplements done with no labor on your end beyond hosting the storefront, and take a decent bite of each sale and the line feeds itself for years. It seems like a lot of the major tabletop RPG companies have been shifting to that, if they aren't releasing OGLs for free like Blades did.

If they can work in ways to integrate their licensed products into the storefront, something like Star Trek, Fallout, or Dune would be a huge draw for people itching to apply their setting knowledge to fan splats and all the variant rules they've already cooked up to make the ideal versions of those settings for their game groups.

I do imagine Fandom is planning something like that, too. It'll be interesting to see how all these bids for what amounts to community-managed game lines turns out.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
My understanding is that Fandom is supposed to be allowing you (one day, some day) to use their licensed material (Dragon Prince and He-Man), while Modiphius is not. Fandom (at least, Adam Bradford) are/were awesome at pursuing licenses, as I understand it.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Thranguy posted:

Less sexy lead: D&D movie *may* have licensed art found in Pathfinder rulebook.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Eastmabl posted:

Less sexy lead: D&D movie *may* have licensed art found in Pathfinder rulebook.

sure, definitely two different pictures and not just one they slightly squashed

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah that poster was made by Boss Logic specifically for the SDCC "Experience" thing. This isn't the first time something has been plagiarized that they have done.

This is the poster that has been around for the actual movie.

https://twitter.com/CHofferCBus/status/1550211250159849472

:tootzzz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

So is the Boss Logic poster directly connected to WotC, or whatever studio is making the movie, or is it some semi-official third-party thing? I'm really unclear on this art thief's relationship to the actual license and business.