Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

CapnAndy posted:

Are you sure

I’m running that event, not playing in it. There’s a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Was the jerkwad guy aware that you were giving him a taste of his own medicine, or is he just the kind of guy that says your stuff is poo poo and his poo poo is stuff?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Steve Vader posted:

Was the jerkwad guy aware that you were giving him a taste of his own medicine, or is he just the kind of guy that says your stuff is poo poo and his poo poo is stuff?
I did not get to play them, but life lessons roll off them like water from a duck's back. They never learn. The lesson -- that the rest of us have meta bullshit too and unlike them, we know what to do with it, we just choose not to -- will not register.

Anyway, my report for the day.

morand reported my team accurately. I got it by looking over lists of top-placing teams from major tournaments and trying to find one I could actually field -- not having Deep Cuts Human Torch or two WW80 Flashes rules out, like, 90% of them.

Round 1 was against another good player. His team:
Captain Carter Prime
WW80 Green Lantern with catcher's mitt construct
Spider-Man 1776
Marvella
Sakaarian Iron Man
Deep Cuts Torch
Baron Zemo
Cloak of Levitation

Not my finest hour. Having only ever seen my team on someone else's teamsheet, I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing. I played it by ear and ended up using my SIM as an EE machine, combining it with my pretty generous amounts of Outwit to get around his defend/esd combo. It took me a long time to figure out what the hell I wanted to do, though, and he ended up fairly annoyed with me. I felt bad but won on points, KOing Torch, Zemo, and Marvella while losing my Marvella and Commissioner.

Round 2 was against the Blackheart mystic team, which was played by our still fairly new player. I dropped the Hex on Blackheart, hit him for 5 with SIM, he ran Blackheart away, I got Agatha up in range and did it again. Blackheart without his stop clicks is a very dead demon. His reaction to the KO was "I guess I just gotta make you chase me?" and I like him, he's a nice guy, so instead of pointing out that no, I was way up and he could run all he wanted, I played along and chased him down. Ended up wiping him and lost Marvella.

Round 3 was as morand said it went. That team is a goddamn nightmare. Flash will get to you and he will KO more than his points in support pieces and force you to walk into the Hex killbox. I think I'm gonna play it next week.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I owe you guys a write-up because, among other things, I think morand is staying quiet until I do it.

Last Sunday was a big blowout event to celebrate morand being added to the Heroclix Hall of Fame, Month 2. The format was 300 modern, cut to top 4 after 3 rounds, with top 4 playing single elimination to split up a XMRF factory set: 4th place got the CURs, 3rd SR, 2nd primes, and 1st chases and ultra-chase.

This event also had a secret purpose, though. GenCon is in two weeks and I'm playing in a Nationals qualifier; the secret purpose was to let me practice in a high stakes environment against other meta teams piloted by players who'd be trying very hard. I've been praciticing on roll20 for months now, so it was a big test.

I played Emily Michelle's team that won Canadian Nationals:

Legacy Thanos
R Sprite
R Star Sapphire
Collector
Molecule Man

Cloak of Levitation
Prime Destroyer (on Sideline)
Aunt Petunia's House with map bonus paid for

A note on why I played this: I was testing a different Thanos team before the Watchlist changes. Afterward, I tried to shift to a Flash/Flash/Agatha/SIM/Doom/Bishop Latveria team, but it was a bad fit for me. I know it's a good team -- morand regularly beat my pants off with it -- but I couldn't get my head around it and I just ended up making bad plays because I didn't get the team and extremely frustrated with myself. Morand and my other training partner, who doesn't post here but is also a regular at our venue, strongly advised that I go back to Thanos, as I was clearly comfortable with him and a good team that I can't play isn't good at all. Seemed like good advice to me, so I stole from the best and grabbed the Canadian Thanos team. Also, that team's supposed to have Skrull Spies and Sentinels on the Sideline, but I honestly don't see the point of them. Sentinels aren't great and plopping a Skrull down right where I KO'd somebody seems flat-out counterproductive to me. This team wins by plinking out easy KOs. If I kill a 30 point piece, why would I ever want to put 20 points right in my opponent's killbox? A 30 point advantage is so much more impactful than 10.

Round 1 was against my exact nightmare scenario: a mirror match. He had Thanos, Molecule Man, Collector, starter set Star Sapphire, and F4 Punisher (the tiny robot guy). He won map and put us on Negative Zone Prison, and then he played loving circles around me. I thought he was wide open and moved out agressively, except no, first turn immunity covers mind control too and I'm a dumbass. Next turn he did weird honeycomb barriers that I didn't see the point of until I mind controlled Thanos and Sapphire and then they couldn't do anything because they'd been expertly walled in by barriers so they could neither move nor attack, and Close Destroy is not an attack and can't be done by MC'd characters. I eventually figured out what I should have done (mind control Molecule Man, have him walk up, and then kill his rear end with Thanos), but much too late. I lost my Sapphire and Molecule Man to opposing mind control and lost the game 55-0. Afterward, I asked him what Punisher was doing on the team; he was there literally just to be an Uncommon. On the bright side, I learned effective tactics to neutralize the mirror match. That guy knew how to use the team to beat other Thanoses, I didn't. Now I do too.

Round 2 I avoided the bye by winning a roll-off and played a monster team. It had Blackheart, Venom Magneto, Venom Wolverine, Sky Tyrant, two Moloids, and... Scarab? I think? He moved up Magneto, Sky Tyrant, Wolverine, and a Moloid all in a clump. I mind controlled Sky Tyrant and Wolverine. Sky Tyrant then attacked Magneto and the Moloid, hitting them both, and dividing his damage to KO each of them. Then Wolverine attacked Sky Tyrant, hit, and KO'd him thanks to the damage boost from Collector. I've never seen the wind go out of somebody's sails so quickly as my opponent surveyed his board after losing all his utility and most of his offense in a single action. I don't really remember much after that since it was all over but the crying. I lost Star Sapphire and Sprite and won 165-65. Figuring out how I got to that point total (more moloids? Scarab? Some amount of generated Hellfire Guards?) is left as an exercise for the reader, I guess.

Round 3 was against a regular who's good-natured but not the best player in the world. He was in that relatively high 3rd round seeding on the strength of getting the bye in round 1 -- 150 points goes a long way in this meta, and even a 0 point loss round 2 had him placed highly. He was playing Blackheart, XMRF Magneto, Diamond Patch, and a Hellfire Club Guard. So, yeah: nice guy. Not great. I spent the game bullying him with mind controls and having Blackheart immediately KO every guard he generated. I killed Magneto, Patch, and four guards while losing nothing, winning 220-0.

With a 2-1 record and 385 points, I made the Top 4 cut as the #3 seed! The top 4 was an outside guy, the player we all hate, me, and the guy who helped me train for this event. So, not liking that player aside, 3 out of 4 for the home venue!

As the 3rd seed, my first matchup was against the 2nd seed, the player we hate. They were playing Legacy Thanos, Doom the Annihilating Conqueror swapping out into Doom, Sorceror Supreme, and Prime Bishop. This was actually a really poor matchup for me, because while consolidating all their points into three figures was poor as an overall strategy, it denied me the easy support piece KOs that I rely on to win, whereas my backline was easy pickings for them. Bishop was easy to kill -- mind control Thanos and Doom and have them beat him to death, easy peasy, no more Shard. Doom was harder. I got him once with his own Thanos for four damage, surprising the hell out of my opponent, who didn't realize how Collector comboed with mind control, but Doom then went on to make the next three super senses rolls in a row, avoiding death each time as my backline got picked off piece by piece until only Collector was remaining. I finally, finally got the fourth attack to stick, KOing Doom with -- as it turns out -- less than a minute left to go. I was prepared to be so frigging salty if I lost a correctly played game just on pure dice luck. Instead, I won, 115-95, and advanced to the finals.

The final match was against the outside guy, playing a non-theme team of Scarlet Witch, Sakaarian Iron man, Venom Magneto, Commissioner, Molecule Man, Mary Jane Watson, Dazzler, Deep Cuts Human Torch, the Cloak of Levitation, and the Emotional Modifier. I won map and used my first turn to TK out Thanos, have him run up to grab the Modifier, and then free phase away. With the Modifier off the board, I was able to take advantage of the target-rich environment. A backline of one-hit KO support figures is exactly how I want to win, and I set about making SIM and Rookie kill their friends for me. I'll be honest, I was so laser focused, stressed, and overall tired that I don't remember much of this game. I took every target of opportunity I could, just whittling my opponent down piece by piece. I remember MJ turned into She-Venom and I immediately KO'd her for good with the second mind controlled person. Thanos got caught in the Hex once but just walked out and the Hex was never placed again, so that was a non-factor. I kinda took my foot off the gas pedal/made dumb mistakes as I got more and more up on points, doing dumb stuff like leaving Star Sapphire just chilling out in front of a window for no reason. I'd KO'd more than 125 points of figures, and I knew there was no way my opponent could KO Thanos, so I had the game won. Still shouldn't have backed off the way I did, but yeah. KO'd everyone but the Witch, SIM, and Human Torch and won the game 175-80.

So I won! I went home with a full chase set and ultra-chase Deadpool and I'm feeling about as good as I can be going into Nationals.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Yes, I was keeping silent so as not to steal your Thunder.

13 players showed for my Month 2 event. Totally we had 3 Thanos teams, 3? Scarlet Witch teams, a few monsters, and one hodgepodge that came in second. 0 Agatha teams which surprised me quite a bit.

Andy is not lying in that there was in fact 1 minute left as I was watching the clock while paying attention to his game to make sure shitbird wasn’t cheating as I’d heard secondhand reports they were constantly trying to cheat in some other rounds. No I do not know how sadly, was just told to me by Andy’s training partner.

Shitbird btw won their first game by scoring 30 points and their second by scoring 50ish. They were not engaging anyone. Their third round they scored 300 as the opponent overexposed themselves and got MC’d like crazy apparently. Shitbird also had the Darkhold on their force, they used it to give Bishop prob.

I was very glad I didn’t have to award them the top prize.

Oh and Andy wasn’t kidding about the good natured player massively benefitting from the bye. After round 1 he ended up on the top table with 150 points as scores were abysmal most rounds. He scored 0 points the 2 games he actually played though.

Next month is 300 Silver Age so I anticipate more Thanos as he’s very good at playing the ID card game

Morand fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 20, 2022

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Morand posted:

Andy is not lying in that there was in fact 1 minute left as I was watching the clock while paying attention to his game to make sure shitbird wasn’t cheating as I’d heard secondhand reports they were constantly trying to cheat in some other rounds. No I do not know how sadly, was just told to me by Andy’s training partner.
Ah, yeah, I forgot -- they didn't cheat against me, but they absolutely were stalling. I had to snap at them after they counted out the same ten square diagonal path for the fourth time in a row and I was frantically motioning to morand under the table because I wanted him to be present without actually having to call the judge over and say "I think my opponent is stalling" out loud, because I didn't want the drama.

After the match, morand told me that handwaves do not count as signalling the judge. Curse my cowardice in the moment.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

CapnAndy posted:

Ah, yeah, I forgot -- they didn't cheat against me, but they absolutely were stalling. I had to snap at them after they counted out the same ten square diagonal path for the fourth time in a row and I was frantically motioning to morand under the table because I wanted him to be present without actually having to call the judge over and say "I think my opponent is stalling" out loud, because I didn't want the drama.

After the match, morand told me that handwaves do not count as signalling the judge. Curse my cowardice in the moment.

I dunno, stalling in 'clix certainly feels like cheating.

Edit: If you have to, turtle, but otherwise, you're taking away your opponent's turn by counting squares or sitting and jiggling your tokens.

Red fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 21, 2022

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Congratulations on the victory and defeating the dreaded Shitbird. Wish you could have caught him cheating, although how do you enforce anti stalling rules?

I have barely played in the last couple of years, but I hatched a scheme to offload my extras by teaching a group of young nerds at work how to play the game. The new rules do feel easier to teach. I didn't really ever have to say "I don't know why it works that way, it just does" or anything like that. They seemed to enjoy it and wanted to make it a regular thing.

A dude at the game store came up and asked what we were playing. "Heroclix? Is that like some niche model game or something?" Thus is the state of the game's profile.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

A dude at the game store came up and asked what we were playing. "Heroclix? Is that like some niche model game or something?" Thus is the state of the game's profile.
Pick a random passerby on the street, give them a single penny, and tell them "Heroclix is the name of a product that exists".

Congratulations, you now have a higher marketing budget than NECA.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

CapnAndy posted:

Pick a random passerby on the street, give them a single penny, and tell them "Heroclix is the name of a product that exists".

Congratulations, you now have a higher marketing budget than NECA.

Hey, now. Once in a while they send Scott Porter some stuff to open. That's got to have a shipping cost.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

ManiacClown posted:

Hey, now. Once in a while they send Scott Porter some stuff to open. That's got to have a shipping cost.

man this poo poo used to be sold at target

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Today was 500 point Daredevil spotlight: All teams must include Daredevil. I decided to be contrary and play Asgardians instead:

Daredevil
MJ (Thor variant)
Thor and Loki legacy
She-Hulk chase

Round 1 I got the bye. I played the judge's catch-all Martial Arist team that included Kate Bishop and some Ninja Turtles, anchored by Bifrost Daredevil. Thor and Loki zapped down the turtles and everyone else really, except Daredevil who was hiding and Batman Beyond who was sticking to a wall and thus couldn't be targeted by range. When it was down to just those two I switched them to Thor mode and everyone got in close combat. We were still beating up Batman when time expired, not that it mattered.

Round 2 was against the player we hate, playing WotR SR Thor who protects all Asgardians, Bifrost Daredevil, Valkyrie, Lady Sif, Jane Thor, and movie Odin, with Prime Destroyer, Skrulls, Sentinels, and all the Troubalert pieces on their sideline, because they always do that and then always forget they're there and don't use them, so who cares. Thor's trait made them obnoxiously immune to my strategy of "Thor and Loki nuke you for 10 damage in one turn, deal with it", but they failed to notice that Thor and Loki ignored elevated terrain too, so I got a good early zap off on Sif. True to form, when that player can't turtle, they panic and rush you. Everyone got right up in my face, even though it meant moving Sif and Valkyrie away from Thor's defend. Thor and Loki got hit hard, and She-Hulk absorbed truly astounding amounts of damage, but she kept healing it back up and chopping away at Thor. As he first lost exploit and then his good defense powers, the odds favored me more and more. Mary Jane lasted longer than she should with Lady Thor whiffing an attack that only needed a 5 to hit, but she went down. Nobody else did, though, and I KO'd Sif, Valkyrie, and on the last action, Thor, to win the game.

Round 3 was against the guy who's been helping me train. He's been asking for a match of our 300 Modern teams from the previous event all week, as he was convinced he could have beaten me if he'd made it to the finals. Since today was a fun game for no prize (WizKids send prize support? haha funny joke), the judge didn't mind us playing those teams against each other for our match. His team was Captain Carter, Green Lantern, Sakaarian Iron Man, Marvella, Spider-Man 1776, and two Mary Jane Watsons. It's meant to work with everyone clustering around Captain Carter and a generated Catcher's Mitt, giving them all a 21 defense from range.

Folks, I took it apart.

He won map and put us on Iron Man's Workshop, and I took the starting area with the elevated terrain giving me a lovely corner that Molecule Man could tuck the team into for hiding purposes. He came down with SIM to take down Molecule Man... and brought the rest of his team with him. So I lost Molecule Man and immediately got him back better than I lost, taking out a MJ who turned into Marvella who was immediately KO'd for good by the second MC'd person. He then got in positon for SIM and Carter to... shoot Thanos. Which, as I told him, is the first time I've played that team when anyone has made even a single attack against Thanos. For good reason. Because it doesn't work. Thanos won't die, will heal it back up, and attacking him just provokes the Destroyer, who promptly came in on only 2 seeker tokens and got to place himself adjacent to Spider-Man '76 and Carter, making one impervious roll, making my opponent waste two attacks on the distraction. Which was more than enough. Despite the fact that I was rolling really well for the gems, repeatedly getting to pick 3, I never picked free phasing, even though Thanos was getting attacked every turn. Somehow my opponent missed that clear "what you're doing is benefitting me" signal and never turned his attention to my other support guys. I ended up taking out one MJ (plus secret identity points), Green Lantern, and Marvella. I would've gotten Spider-Man too except I rolled ludicrously terribly for mind control that turn, unable to get above a 5 with two probs. Oh well. Still an easy win.

Afterwards he complained about my bullshit gem rolls and bullshit super senses and imperv rolls and how he couldn't hit Thanos with a 13 attack, and I told him he was putting out so much salt that I need to go on special medication now, and morand told him that all the sodium has given him got heart problems. But, y'know, we say it with love.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 25, 2022

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Send Andy good vibes everyone. He’s trying his hand at a nationals qualifier for Gen-Con at 1.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I qualified for Nationals. That’s the post.

See you Saturday

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

See you Saturday

HE DID THIS DESPITE BEING DQ’D HIS FIRST GAME AND SUFFERING A 0 POINT LOSS.

Next time I buy a lottery ticket I’m asking this thread for good vibes.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I wasn’t DQ’d, I was sent to the wrong table and by the time I realized it I was more than 5 minutes late and rules say that’s a loss. Not DQ.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Woo! Go Cap! You can do it!

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

See you Saturday

[img-Rob Schneider]

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Everyone send Andy some more good vibes today so he can have the luck of the devil again.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

CapnAndy posted:

I wasn’t DQ’d, I was sent to the wrong table and by the time I realized it I was more than 5 minutes late and rules say that’s a loss. Not DQ.

You got this bruv!

Now everyone wish me luck on my 2nd empyre case looking for venom mags bc I'm dumb like that

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I went 1-1 in Swiss and did not make the cut. Final rank: 12, and I can’t feel bad about that.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

I went 1-1 in Swiss and did not make the cut. Final rank: 12, and I can’t feel bad about that.

Nor should you! Just qualifying is a big deal. Top 16 is pretty good on top of that!

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Just made it back from Gen-Con. I'd been set to run Learn-To-Play events for 'Clix the whole time. Going into the con, I was expecting that I would maybe see three people the entire time. An easy few hours, and then they would realize nobody new was interested in the game and they would use my space to have me run more battle royales.

By my rough count, I taught about 100 people to play this week. The schedule was brutal, since I was running hour-long events every hour, and since nobody had expected there to be this much interest, WizKids had not scheduled anyone else to work with me, so I did not get any sort of breaks. Running tournaments and battle royales is easy compared to Learn-To-Plays, since those just need attention to call time and answer questions. Teaching is constant, and being heard by a full group in the convention hall is HARD. My voice is shot. But I think I did a pretty drat good job. After a couple sessions, I got my patter down, learned which questions to anticipate, and figured out how to make it fun. I know that people were into it, not only because they said so, but also because we sold out of the What If starter game that I'd been using to teach people.

A couple of the guys that I was teaching mentioned that they were going to do a battle royale immediately afterwards. After they had checked in for it and were walking over, I realized that I hadn't explained rarity to them, so I gave them a crash course just in case they pulled something good. I spun by their table a bit later, to see that one had pulled Redroot and another had pulled Blink. A SR and a chase make for two great first boosters ever!

We had a team meeting afterwards, and the head WizKids guy took time out to talk up what a great job I did, and then pulled me aside privately to thank me and to say that after this con, they were definitely going to continue running Learn-to-Play events at conventions... just with more than one person doing them. All in all, I know that I turned a lot of new players on to the game, and made a lot of people happy in the process. That makes for a good con!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Can confirm, Torrent was teaching a tableful of players non-stop for the entire frigging con. I have no loving idea how they drew like that, but I may have to rethink my policy of constantly giving WizKids poo poo for their constant assumption that new players are just going to fall out of the sky without doing any marketing whatsoever.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That's good to hear. I know a couple of the guys that came from Michigan. Not sure how much they help out anymore for Wizkids.

How are people liking X of Swords? I got a couple bricks of House of X, and enjoyed what I got.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Open Marriage Night posted:

That's good to hear. I know a couple of the guys that came from Michigan. Not sure how much they help out anymore for Wizkids.

How are people liking X of Swords? I got a couple bricks of House of X, and enjoyed what I got.

One of my packs had the cards and sword for a kickass horseman and a dupe of one of the uc's in the pack instead of the correct model. That's my "best" X of swords story so far

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

PleasantDirge posted:

One of my packs had the cards and sword for a kickass horseman and a dupe of one of the uc's in the pack instead of the correct model. That's my "best" X of swords story so far

Once again, Wizkids quality control shows that low quality is still quality.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm not sure how I ended up in here but I vaguely remember seeing some Haloclix in a comic shop ten years ago and I think I had a Green Lantern Starter Set at the same time? So I guess I'm here now. How are people playing nowadays, and how difficult is getting stuff in the UK?

The Wizkids official website seems terrible at pointing you towards actual starter sets you'd want to pick up physically, by the way.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I can answer the UK parts specifically, there's some decent websites you can order stuff from, board-game.co.uk and some others, a lot of the booster sets from the last few sets have gone down in price quite a bit from their RRP. Getting singles is a bit tougher if that's what you want, a bunch of places have tried and shut down over the years because I assume it's tough to make a lot of money doing it, ebay or some of the singles websites in the US are your best bet in that case, just have to get a big enough order for the shipping to be worth it.

Unfortunately the starter sets that have come out in the last few years are pretty expensive and hard to recommend imo, the Fantastic Four one from mid 2020 is available for £20 from the site I linked above and comes with some fun figures that'll be decent enough to get started with and have some games. The other ones will set you back £35-£50 and come with more figures but they vary in how good they actually are imo. You can get the modern rules from the website so don't feel compelled to get one if none of them have characters you're massively interested in. I guess you will need some maps though, so probably one of them will be worth getting for that.

It's primarily Marvel these days, DC gets one set a year but since 2010 they've done some other licenses as well, Star Trek and TMNT so if you're into those, can probably get some of them for relatively cheap at this point.

Sorry if I'm sounding negative, it's a good game if you can find like minded folks to play it with but it's been very tough to find people to play it with en masse in the UK.

Finally, whether people are playing or not depends on whereabouts you are I think, London has a decent amount of players, outside of there you'll have to do a bit of searching (I'm in Berkshire, Reading, if you happen to be near there could definitely play and lend you some figures to play with but that seems quite unlikely, feel free to PM me if so).

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
I'll second that Fantastic Four starter as being a great one. Six great figures, bystander tokens that range from fun to great, two double-sided maps, et... Also has a branching path campaign that utilizes the sets contents, so you can get some non-standard play out of it.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Got my Gen-Con purchasables in hand recently(Thanks Andy). The Fantastic Thor's have some of the best sculpts I've seen in awhile.

I think now having seen the dials for Hellfire Gala that I'll be buying that as well.

Oh and this Sunday is my final mega event. 300 Silver Age. With tarot and ID cards being possibilities now, what would you build if you were coming out?

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
fyi if any of you have an ollies bargain outlet near you they have tons of heroclix. mine had mostly fast forces (not sure how old those are, I remember the first ones that I think were repackaged mutant mayhem) and some single figure boosters.

i noticed at my LGS they have some stuff, there’s like 1 guy who orders a brick every expansion. are any of those board games that use clix as figures any good? I know wizkids doesn’t have the best reputation in that arena

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
I've played the Batman board game a couple times, and it was pretty fun. You get to be Gotham villains trying to do crimes and evade the Batman, which is a nice twist. I remember Killer Croc being kind of overpowered.

I know that I played the Justice League board game once, but it left zero impression on me, which I guess probably says enough.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That Darkseid that came with the Justice League game was loving cool as hell though.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

thebardyspoon posted:

That Darkseid that came with the Justice League game was loving cool as hell though.

No doubt. For the longest time, that was the best Darkseid they'd ever made. Maybe not worth the $60 or whatever the game cost just to get him, but he was a boss.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Torrent posted:

I've played the Batman board game a couple times, and it was pretty fun. You get to be Gotham villains trying to do crimes and evade the Batman, which is a nice twist. I remember Killer Croc being kind of overpowered.

I know that I played the Justice League board game once, but it left zero impression on me, which I guess probably says enough.

Killer Croc was super strong in the beginning and could take a big lead, but as soon as the other bosses got enough goons it became literally impossible for him to win fights against them.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Morand posted:

Killer Croc was super strong in the beginning and could take a big lead, but as soon as the other bosses got enough goons it became literally impossible for him to win fights against them.

True, now that you say that I am remembering Penguin being pretty cool with a free penguin henchman he got when he leveled enough.

So, Thursday is (in theory, shipping is always an issue) our X of Swords month 1 event. With just 2 big prizes per brick, I don't like the suggested battle royale format. But with boosters for the OP being so drat expensive, I don't want people having to buy two per month. So month 1 is going to be one main set booster and one month 1 booster, standard sealed. Months 2 and 3 will be 'bring 200 points of X of Swords, buy one booster, build a 300-point team', with some restrictions on how many chases/prizes you can bring.

But to keep it interesting, and since X of Swords was all about absurd contests that rarely had to do with fighting, I'm going to do a random draw for the prizes, with lots of ways to get your name in for the drawing. Showing up, winning a game, and winning the event all earn you entries - the standard 'get points in an event series' thing. But I'm also giving entries to things like 'the first player (in the entire tournament) per game to enter their opponent's starting area' or 'whoever occupies square H13 when half-time is called'. I've got five 'standard' ways that everybody can earn points each month, five achievements that will be different each month, and a few secret ones.

I made up a bunch of poker chips with how the point was earned written on one side, and the player who earns it will get their name on the other side, so that when we do the drawing, we'll know what they did to win. Then once month 3 is over, all the chips from all the months will go back in for the grand prize drawing. I'm hoping that it will be fun, and will make things somewhat less cutthroat, since winning games isn't everything.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Torrent posted:

True, now that you say that I am remembering Penguin being pretty cool with a free penguin henchman he got when he leveled enough.

I remember playing against my brother. He was Two-Face and Croc was kicking his rear end and Batmans until suddenly batman leveled enough to be actually scary and two-face got a ton of goons. Suddenly I was getting my rear end kicked left and right.

Honestly that was actually a very fun board game.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Sunday was morand's 3rd event and the big finale, with the primes and chases from WotR and D+ up for the top 4. Also giveaways of all the gencon stuff and a bunch of other random prizes, some of which came from me but I don't say that to humblebrag, they were just lying around in my basement and too old for me to have any expected value off ebay.

Anyway, it was 300 Silver Age. I decided to dance with what'd brought me this far, took my month 2 winning/nationals qualifying team, modified it slightly, and played it again:

Legacy Thanos
XoS Hope Summers
Collector
Molecule Man
Flora Colossus
ID Card: Black Widow (movie chase)
ID Card: Green Arrow (EW chase)
ID Card: Captain Marvel (CAAV SR)
ID Card: Cyclops (Legacy XXS SR)
Sideline: Destroyer

Overall team analysis first. Hope was an absolute star and supercharged the team. She's got traited Leadership, which my team needed badly (I very much felt the lack, both in actions and ways to get tokens off Thanos), she can mirror prob control when Thanos takes it and either outwit or perplex from Molecule Man or Collector. Having a second source of prob and another outwitter were both huge for me, and her mastermind meant that if anyone tried to kill my beautiful swiss army knife, I could just make Thanos take the hit instead and then shrug it off next turn. And, full disclosure because he will 100% taunt me for it if I don't say this, I did not see her potential. Morand suggested her to me, I didn't get it, I made him explain. And then I got it, and I used her to her full extent, thank you very much.

Flora Colossus was a waste of 10 points. The idea was to use Molecule Man to put water under him, but he hit exactly one healing roll all day, so who cares. I would've been better off with the Cloak, or any other equipment, or just leaving it blank. Also, it's a poorly balanced sculpt and he fell off the table at one point and some branches broke off. (It's fine, I glued them back.)

Round 1 was against a monster team. Blackheart, Proteus, Venom Magneto, Sky Tyrant, two Moloids.. and Bizarro Green Arrow. Maybe something else too? I think I remember another 2x2 base. He also had ID cards, some equipment, and a tarot deck. Whatever, doesn't matter. What matters is that this team was purpose-built to give me fits. My entire team runs on ranged attacks, and Arrow's gonna absorb them all. It seemed like my best bet was to control Arrow and get him to walk away from everyone else, but first off, he'd just walk right back, and second, he's adjacent to dudes with Plasticity. So I'm sitting there thinking I'm screwed and I don't see a way to avoid this turning into a close-quarters brawl that doesn't favor me.

And then he sends Sky Tyrant out away from everyone else to KO Flora Colossus. Which he does. And then next turn I outwit his defenses, Thanos one-shots him, he comes back, and Hope puts him down for good. Now, it's been a few years since I took a math class, but I'm pretty sure that 50 points is more than 10. I think that rattled him; next turn he sent Blackheart and Venom Magneto down by themselves even though Magneto was entirely capable of taking Bizarrow too. Hell, that turn the "people with plasticity can move half speed as FREE" card came up and he popped Plastic Man's ID to give his whole team plasticity -- he could've sent everyone down! For free! Also, Sky Tyrant had been equipped with the Power Gem, and that second shot provoked my opponent's Destroyer into coming out. Which turned out to matter, because on my next turn I mc'd Blackheart and Destroyer. Blackheart killed Magneto and then I had Destroyer whap Blackheart, which took him to his STOP and took Destroyer off the board. Next turn I called in Green Arrow to blow Blackheart away, easy peasy, and the rest was wrap-up. He never moved Bizarrow for the rest of the game; I think he forgot it was on his team.

Round 2 I don't really remember. There was another Blackheart, I think? I called in Green Arrow and Black Widow on the way to a sweep.

Round 3 was against an X-Men team that was doing swapsies. Cable started to make two clones and then popped off the board, Kate Pryde did the same with Lockheed, leaving me up against Jubilee, Maggott, Venom Wolverine, Bishop, the two clones, lockheed, Dark Phoenix as a retaliator, Venom Magneto and I think that's it. He won map and sent us to Otherworld, so Jubilee was in dragon form.

This team gave me fricking fits. My strategy was just to sneak up along the elevated side of the map until I could get within 5 squares of somebody I could mind control to get to either Shard or Bishop, but he used the free TK from the Cables to be more mobile than me. Jubilee could see right over Molecule Man's barriers and was sniping at will, while Wolverine is climbing up to try and get to me and thus if I mind control her, she won't be able to get to anyone else to kill them for me. I manage to get some mind controls in that snipe a Cable clone, but by then Wolverine's about to get to my team. But my guys fly, so we fly over to one of the other towers, leaving Wolverine all by herself and with no way to get to us. (Rendering her irrelevant all game gave me some small amount of joy.) That, however, put me right up in Jubilee's face, and she started using the dragon breath to clear all of Molecule Man's terrain. Very annoying!

What was worse is that Jubilee made all her shape change rolls. Every single one. All game. If I can hit her I can kill her, and if I can kill her that team falls apart, but I was never allowed to even target her. I did get to avoid the wrath of Dark Phoenix all day by refusing to make direct attacks, only indirectly via mind control. Eventually one of my second choice target mind controls gets Maggott, who walks over and kills Venom Magneto for me -- and that's big, because I only lost the Flora Colossus and time ends on a maddening stalemate of a game with me winning 35-10.

Being 3-0 gets me into the Top 4 as the top seed. In the semifinals I'm up against prime Vision, I..S.A.A.C., and a 2x2 pog Sentinel. I win map for the first and only time all day, so we get to fight in Aunt Petunia's House, which is helpful to me. Vision comes running up to KO Molecule Man, which takes away my source of Outwit -- but Vision himself has it! So Hope mimics his, outwits the outwit/shape change, and I call in Green Arrow. I fail to realize that Green Arrow only turns off defense after he hits and super senses is before that, and my opponent fails to call me on it, so he doesn't roll for it and Arrow nails him for 6. (He rolled a d6 later to see what'd have happened and it came up a 4, and by then I'd realized that the proper call-in was Black Widow, so it wouldn't have mattered in the end, but still.) Hope misses her follow-up attack, but Vision misses his rolls next turn and gets KO'd. Isaac and the Sentinel go down easy, and I'm on to the finals.

In the finals I'm trouble immediately, because I'm looking at the team and I cannot figure out how the hell it can possibly win, let alone what it's doing in the finals. Which means that I'm about to be blindsided. Here's what I'm seeing: Wasp, Heart of the Avengers, Steve Rogers, JLU Prime Batman (made an Avenger via Rogers), AIM Red Squad, Hope Summers, AFFE Captain America, and four Giant Girls. He then uses Captain America to swap Rogers for Sakaarian Iron Man. So if you want to play along at home, now's the time to stop reading and figure out what he's doing. (He wins map -- not hard to do with 10 dudes -- and puts us on the XoS starter map. Which is outside. That's a clue.)

Trick number one: on turn 2, Batman drops the Batman TA to start singing. Wasp then spends 3 plot points to make him a colossal. And Batman is standing next to Hope, the Red Squad, and Captain America -- three Enhancers. And, as it turns out, the rules say that you only split damage if you're using multiple bolts to target more than one character. Which means that my entire frigging team gets psyblasted for 4 damage. Each. Hahahahaha oh gently caress. Thanos laughs it off and Collector's got a stop click, but everyone else on my team is dead now.

He also moves up Sakaarian Iron Man (equipped with the Cloak) right into my face. SIM has picked up an object via sidestepping on turn 1, but on the move to come up, my opponent does not have SIM pick up the second object that he's absolutely moving right through. For no reason. He knew it was there, picking it up was the plan, he just... didn't. Heroclix games can hinge on the smallest of things.

Thanos takes Soul to free regen away the damage from Batman, and I do the very best thing I can do: I have Thanos call in Captain Marvel. She drops Chewie already adjacent to SIM, and the cat and Collector both perplex up Chewie's attack, and he then flurry/blades SIM. First one hits for 3 and he chooses to take the damage. Second one hits for 5 and he burns his only object instead. Which leaves him defenseless against Captain Marvel, who blasts SIM off the board. Which, as it turns out, leaves me wide open for the other way that team gets you.

Trick number two: Wasp gets a plot point to let her retaliate, and pops over to attack Captain Marvel. She misses, but that's not the point -- she then calls in Leech, and my team is positioned so that Leech can be placed adjacent to all of them. And now that nobody on my team can use powers, here come the Giant Girls swinging with a 10 for 3 damage. Four times. Captain Marvel has 9 clicks of life and since all her defense, including her STOPs, are gone, if three Giant Girls hit her, she's dead and I'm down another 95 points.

Two of them miss.

Now that a KO is out of reach, one of the Giant Girls takes out Chewie instead. Leech is adjacent to everyone. And he's only got a 16 defense, and Collector has a 9 attack with Steal Energy and a printed 2, so he'll deal 3 due to his own trait. And Leech only has three clicks. Collector punches Leech out, getting me 35 bonus points, my powers back, and a heal off of his stop click. Thanos mind controls a Giant Girl, who punches Wasp. Next turn, the rain of Giant Girls falls on Collector, who misses two super senses rolls and is gone. On my next turn, I have Thanos mind control Giant Girls, having one kill another one and the other giving Wasp another smack. She's still alive, so Thanos blasts her himself, which drops her.

My opponent then asks for the score. I'm up 150-110, and he concedes the match, correctly judging that he's got no way to take out Thanos and that I'm just going to run around picking pieces off until time runs out.

So I win! I get a complete chase set of Disney+ and defend my rep, now that I've got a rep to defend in the first place.

Also, I'm not allowed to play that Thanos again for the rest of the calendar year, by my own decree.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Way to go, Andy!