Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Martman posted:

I thought The Bear was goofy and cliched and full of really obvious telegraphing of all its character development... also it was great. It built up the kind of energy and tension that let me enjoy all the silliness, I didn't only like the show despite all of that stuff.

Yeah it's pretty static as far as the character arcs go which I enjoyed actually. No big twists or curveballs just straight ahead with the shitshow and I dug it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Station Eleven is pretentious. It's also great. If you let the artsy-fartsy stuff obscure everything underneath, that's sad.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

God Hole posted:

_________/

most confusing lampshade ever

im watching THE STAIR CASE its about a dude who kills his wives or something

hbomax speedrun

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 21, 2022

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

A MIRACLE posted:

im goin thru the hbo max library now is there anything that stands out? I watched hacks already it was v good

I assume you're looking for newer things that aren't Sopranos or The Wire? But if not, Sopranos and The Wire.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A MIRACLE posted:

most confusing lampshade ever

im watching THE STAIR CASE its about a dude who kills his wives or something

hbomax speedrun

i like the stair case because the dude is completely sus and it totally seems plausible that he did it, but at the same time it seems like there's literally no reason he would have done it except to protect a gay lover which is :smith:

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

A MIRACLE posted:

im goin thru the hbo max library now is there anything that stands out? I watched hacks already it was v good

Maybe this a deep cut but I watched this show called Crashing a while ago and thought it was excellent it's kinda a fictional-semi-autobiographical show about Pete Holmes playing Pete Holmes and his life trying to become a stand-up comedian.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

TheMopeSquad posted:

Maybe this a deep cut but I watched this show called Crashing a while ago and thought it was excellent it's kinda a fictional-semi-autobiographical show about Pete Holmes playing Pete Holmes and his life trying to become a stand-up comedian.

Not to be confused by the show Crashing on Netflix with Phoebe Waller Bridge and Jonathan Bailey.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

TheMopeSquad posted:

It was pretty good. Artie Lange is in a few episodes too.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Nihonniboku posted:

The question was about HBO Max shows, so people are discussing HBO Max shows. I Know This Much Is True, while very good, is regular ol' HBO.

im dumb

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

precision posted:

any time i watch a random new Simpsons episode, i'm either astonished by how bad it actually is, or astonished that it's not that bad. it doesn't seem to ever have hit that bland middle road that most Family Guy sunk into

Yeah I’ve caught a few newer ones that are actually well-written but whenever FX cycles back to the beginning of the series I’m reminded that the earlier episodes were massively better.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

It wasn't dumb. HBO Max gives you all the HBO content so any HBO recommend is just as legit.

HBO Max is basically just synonymous with HBO at this point.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

BonoMan posted:

It wasn't dumb. HBO Max gives you all the HBO content so any HBO recommend is just as legit.

HBO Max is basically just synonymous with HBO at this point.

So, I looked up how they're branding everything. HBO is just the cable channel. HBO Max is their streaming service. Max Originals are first run on HBO Max, but HBO Max will also have HBO content at the same time. I do think though that generally, Max Originals are not shows that they would consider their premium content that they would center their Sunday night lineup around, so I think there is a degree of separation.

But it was a perfectly fair statement. My assumption generally was that everyone knows about the big HBO shows of the last 20 years whereas Max Originals are shows that might not be as well known.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Nihonniboku posted:

So, I looked up how they're branding everything. HBO is just the cable channel. HBO Max is their streaming service. Max Originals are first run on HBO Max, but HBO Max will also have HBO content at the same time. I do think though that generally, Max Originals are not shows that they would consider their premium content that they would center their Sunday night lineup around, so I think there is a degree of separation.

But it was a perfectly fair statement. My assumption generally was that everyone knows about the big HBO shows of the last 20 years whereas Max Originals are shows that might not be as well known.

Right but the question was "what's recommended from the HBO Max catalog" and not "what Max Originals do you recommend?"

I think HBO Max has opened a lot of people and a whole new generation to the catalog that might not have had traditional HBO access so I would assume it's all fair game to recommend.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, aside from HBO originals there's some really phenomenal TCM picks on there.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

A MIRACLE posted:

Scanning the "max originals" page, these stand out to me:

Peacemaker
Raised by Wolves
Our Flag Means Death
Search Party
Doom Patrol
Zack Snyder's Justice League (lol)
Tokyo Vice

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

BonoMan posted:

Right but the question was "what's recommended from the HBO Max catalog" and not "what Max Originals do you recommend?"

I think HBO Max has opened a lot of people and a whole new generation to the catalog that might not have had traditional HBO access so I would assume it's all fair game to recommend.

Sorry I did mean the hbo max originals. Mostly because of the marketing reach discussion from earlier. I looked and there’s a bunch of stuff I haven’t even heard of on there

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

A MIRACLE posted:

Sorry I did mean the hbo max originals. Mostly because of the marketing reach discussion from earlier. I looked and there’s a bunch of stuff I haven’t even heard of on there

Hey hey hey nobody's talking to you

what marketing reach convo?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Just like how close enough was getting canceled and I was like I never even heard of that and then ppl were like hbo max originals are under marketed and I went to the hbo max hub and there’s basically a bunch of content sitting there and some of it looks pretty interesting

Close enough was really cute btw, I liked the ending a lot. But you could tell by the end they were just like, give Jason mantzoukas a bunch of wacky scenarios. Which I’m into tho

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ah yeah. I tend to skim this thread more than others because of accidentally walking into spoilers from time to time so it's easier for me to overlook things.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

BonoMan posted:

Totally fair. Here are my recommendations:

Westworld, Succession, Euphoria, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Los Espookys, Black Lady Sketch Show, True Detective, White Lotus, Big Little Lies (just season 1), Big Love (just the first 3 seasons), Carnivale (tragically canceled after 2 seasons, when there were 6 planned), The Deuce, Game of Thrones, The Leftovers, Rome, Six Feet Under, True Blood (only the first 3 seasons), The Wire, Bored to Death, The Comeback, Enlightened, Flight of the Conchords, Girls (only season 1), Insecure, The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency, Silicon Valley, Summer Heights High, Veep, Angels in America, Generation Kill, I Know This Much Is True, I May Destroy You, John Adams, Mare of Easttown, Olive Kitteridge, Watchmen.

Shows that have not aged well: The Sopranos, Entourage

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Entourage was bad when it came out too :P

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'd say that The Sopranos is one of the best shows in the history of the medium. It's absolutely worth checking out.

Also everything from Danny McBride/Jody Hill: Eastbound and Down, Vice Principals, Righteous Gemstones.

edit: Shame on me for forgetting The Larry Sanders Show. Another must watch.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Saying the Sopranos hasn't aged well right after recommending Westworld is fascinating, like talking to someone from a parallel universe or something

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Westworld is great what is wrong with everyone

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Wolfsheim posted:

Saying the Sopranos hasn't aged well right after recommending Westworld is fascinating, like talking to someone from a parallel universe or something

Shrug. I watched it 10 years after it aired, and I just could not get into it. I would have given up, but an ex forced me to watch it through to the end, insisting I would like it eventually. I think that it's a very influential show, it was one of the primary drivers for making people realize that tv shows could and should be better. But I personally didn't find it very interesting.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

I’m too stupid I didn’t even figure out the dual timeline thing was happening in the first season until someone explained it to me lol

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Nihonniboku posted:

Totally fair. Here are my recommendations:

not tryna poo poo on you for contributing, but this is legit just a list of, like, 20 shows with no rhyme or reason. flight of concords is wildly different from watchmen but you recommend them equally? idk just seems weird lol.

also sopranos has not aged poorly whatsoever. i just went through the series for the first time earlier this year and it ruled.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

If Snuffbox and Toast of London were available to stream there wouldn't be any of this fighting

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Inspector Hound posted:

Its possible it got good again in S3 but I didnt stick around to find out, there is exactly one good episode in S2 and it featured almost none of the characters the show was was about (the Native American episode)

mystes
May 31, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

I’m too stupid I didn’t even figure out the dual timeline thing was happening in the first season until someone explained it to me lol
It was honestly pretty dumb and an example of making everything worse just you can turn everything into a twist

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I watched Sopranos for the first time in 2020 and in my opinion it has aged brilliantly

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
westworld season 4 is extremely bad so far but i'm still watching it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Its possible it got good again in S3 but I didnt stick around to find out, there is exactly one good episode in S2 and it featured almost none of the characters the show was was about (the Native American episode)

My relationship with the show pre-this current season is “each season has episodes varying from meh to great right until the finale fucks it up/is the worst of the season, and the first season is the only one I feel is worth recommending overall”

This current season so far is the best since season 1 and I finally feel like recommending it again, while expecting the finale to gently caress it up

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

I watched Sopranos for the first time in 2020 and in my opinion it has aged brilliantly

it's portrayal of the 90s/early 00s as a hellish cardboard existence rapidly racing to entropy was way ahead of it's time. I feel like that specific cynicism wasn't in vogue until the 08 recession and end of the good times.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.

Nihonniboku posted:

Carnivale (tragically canceled after 2 seasons, when there were 6 planned),

gently caress, that is an absolute crime that six seasons were planned, and they cancelled after two. I watched it when it aired originally and loved that show. Its been a while since I rewatched it, but from what I remember you could kind of make it a stopping point, but not really. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it got cancelled because HBO felt they were spending too much on two big period shows: Carnivale and Rome?

I would also add 30 Coins to the list. It is a Spanish language show that is getting a second season with Paul Giamatti joining the cast(?!)

Aglet56 posted:

westworld season 4 is extremely bad so far but i'm still watching it

I think Season 4 is solid. Season 1 was the best, season 2 was sort of like season 2 of True Detective for me in that it felt like they just put something out because they had this major hit show and we got to do something to keep people entertained. Season 3 was better, but not great, and this season has really put it together Granted, they are rehashing the split time line thing, and parts of the dialogue are a little obvious, but I am excited to see where Dolores fits in the timeline, and what her deal is after being essentially reincarnated to her old self in a modern setting

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Mr. Toodles posted:

gently caress, that is an absolute crime that six seasons were planned, and they cancelled after two. I watched it when it aired originally and loved that show. Its been a while since I rewatched it, but from what I remember you could kind of make it a stopping point, but not really. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it got cancelled because HBO felt they were spending too much on two big period shows: Carnivale and Rome?

Yup. Carnivale and Rome were both very expensive shows. Carnivale was a costume period drama shot on location instead of on set, and Rome cost $100 million season 1 (which is nothing compared to the $500 million Amazon is spending on the Rings of Power season 1). So they canceled their more expensive shows, and greenlit a bunch of low budget stuff like John from Cincinnati that didn't do well at all. They kind of floundered for a couple of years until True Blood with its pulp, and then Game of Thrones. But even GoT really worked with a small budget the first few years until it proved to be a bit hit.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Has anybody recommended Warrior yet? That's a must watch on HBO Max if you like action shows/movies.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Critics are spilling ink over the ethical implications at the end of the first episode of the Rehearsal, but I haven't seen enough mention of the earlier moment at the pool where Nathan gets an old man to interrupt after Kor makes a deep personal disclosure, so Kor will think that Nathan was about to make one of his own. I recognize why the second feels more impactful, because of the reason for the choice and for the idiosyncratic importance to Kor, but man that first moment really made me sit up and wonder "is this just hosed up?"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Westworld was just the primer to get everyone’s frame of mind ready for the Rehearsal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Warrior rocks cock