Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm still mad the retailer where I get my games cheaper removed the pre-order of Live A Live before I could buy it cause it's like a 15-20€ discount all things considered.

Edit: Awful snipe here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Facetious posted:

Did none of you have an NES Game Atlas guide growing up

The only NES game guide i had was the one for Zelda 1. The one where they don't even show you the last few dungeons, and Ganon's dungeon was basically, "I dunno. You figure it out, idiot."

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Hrist posted:

The only NES game guide i had was the one for Zelda 1. The one where they don't even show you the last few dungeons, and Ganon's dungeon was basically, "I dunno. You figure it out, idiot."

That's the first issue of Nintendo Power; it only covers the second quest, not even the first, and only the first six dungeons at that.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

Did none of you have an NES Game Atlas guide growing up

The nes was like 10 years old by the time i got my first game system (i think? I dont actually know, whenever the pikachu edition of the gameboy color came out)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Probably 98, that’s when Pokémon yellow came out it’d make sense

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I had a master system

Hell yea me too

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1550150140698103809?t=EG80lejpy3PMNJzv8j5pAQ&s=19

You'd be crazy not to pick up X/X2 at least. That's an insane value.

This sale is pretty normal:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Inzombiac posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1550150140698103809?t=EG80lejpy3PMNJzv8j5pAQ&s=19

You'd be crazy not to pick up X/X2 at least. That's an insane value.

Man I want both X and XII but I can't stomach the $25 price tag, been waiting for them to hit 15 for a very long time lol.

It doesn't help that they're not super high up on my priority list. X especially seems like a really bad deal because I want nothing to do with X2. Might eventually cave on XII since it's the one I've never played

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
FF8 post, my first take:

It is rubbish that my party’s ATB bars stop filling whenever any party member or enemy is doing something.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

FF8 post, my first take:

It is rubbish

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wildtortilla posted:

FF8 post, my first take:

It is rubbish that my party’s ATB bars stop filling whenever any party member or enemy is doing something.

isn't that when the ATB is set to "recommended" or whatever

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nevermind

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

KingSlime posted:

Man I want both X and XII but I can't stomach the $25 price tag, been waiting for them to hit 15 for a very long time lol.

It doesn't help that they're not super high up on my priority list. X especially seems like a really bad deal because I want nothing to do with X2. Might eventually cave on XII since it's the one I've never played

Have you played X2 before or are you just scared of girls?

Seriously, tons of people wrote it off but it has a fantastic battle system and a story that's pretty great, especially if you like X.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I have about $10 in eshop money right now... I might finally replay FF7 over twenty years after I initially did.

For people who legitimately enjoyed 7, was 9 worth it? I can't decide between going with familiar stuff or playing something new (to me).

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Facetious posted:

That's the first issue of Nintendo Power; it only covers the second quest, not even the first, and only the first six dungeons at that.

I wish. This is the thing I have. I could barely even find an image of it online.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This was the thing with the Zelda maps and such

It was quite thorough with the early parts of a lot of games

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

God, old player's guides ruled. a lost art, replaced by gamefaqs and wikis

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Inzombiac posted:

Have you played X2 before or are you just scared of girls?

Seriously, tons of people wrote it off but it has a fantastic battle system and a story that's pretty great, especially if you like X.

I'm terrified of girls

Yeah I've seen a few YouTube's on it and it just doesn't seem like my jam at all

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
FFX-2 rules but 100%ing it does not.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Scuba Trooper posted:

God, old player's guides ruled. a lost art, replaced by gamefaqs and wikis

My first player's guide ever was Banjo Tooie. I still have it, but the spine has basically disintegrated. :allears: I dragged that thing EVERYWHERE...road trips, family members' houses, doctors' offices...

My Majora's Mask guide is also basically just a pile of pages now...I tried taping the spine but that didn't last long, ha.

VVV That dragon looks like one of those ugly NFT animals, ha.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I was always a fan of the Consumer's Guides, especially this one. I still have my copy.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Please someone make me a custom avatar of this image

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Fond memories of going to the school book fair with $20 in my pocket to buy a Lamborghini poster and a Nintendo Secrets guidebook.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

which of those FF games has the best battle system?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
FFX is widely regarded as having the good battle system. In a way it feels surprisingly modern cause it involves combat order and status effects manipulation like you can see in Into the Breach or deck-building roguelikes. Also unlike earlier FF games it has a lot of optional endgame challenges. Other games have like a couple of optional bosses and dungeons but FFX has a lot more, and battle system is complex enough to allow for it.

I also think that FF8 has the most interesting and battle system, but it's poorly explained, full of trap choices and most people won't enjoy it. Be warned: FFX suffers from problems opposite to FF8: it's very afraid of giving you any real character development choices so it may feel very linear for dozens of hours.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 21, 2022

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I don't have any idea what game this is supposed to represent

edit: ninja turtles??? maybe???

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Scuba Trooper posted:

If the Dragon and the rest of the cover is anything to go by, it's an amalgamation: DuckTales, Ninja turtles, and... Double Dragon?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Scuba Trooper posted:

"Don't get sued"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Bloop posted:

"Don't get sued"

Ooh, good answer. Also someone link Supper Mario Broth's Twitter that "para-goomba" in the upper left corner; it's positively horrifying.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have about $10 in eshop money right now... I might finally replay FF7 over twenty years after I initially did.

For people who legitimately enjoyed 7, was 9 worth it? I can't decide between going with familiar stuff or playing something new (to me).

What did you like about 7? Cuz the story is quite different then 7, but the actual gameplay is pretty much the same

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Of the ones on sale, X and X-2. FFX has a purely turn-based system with a big focus on action economy that I enjoy a lot, and X-2 has a fast-paced take on the classic ATB where you switch jobs during combat frequently and build up combo attacks.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I love both VII and IX, but they're really different games. FFIX has a lot of homages to classic Final Fantasy and presents as a more lighthearted throwback kind of adventure. It has a lot more going on than that under the hood, but expect characters that look a lot like archetypes at first (plucky, flirty thief guy, rebellious princess, stupidly loyal knight, etc.). IMO FFIX has the best-written character arc in the series with Vivi, if that's something you're interested in. I think it's a really charming and memorable game. Gorgeous backgrounds and one of the earlier examples of a Final Fantasy with a really well-written English translation, too.

Fair warning that IX's gameplay is pretty slow-paced even for a PS1 Final Fantasy. It doesn't bother me, but I know it drives some people absolutely mad.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 21, 2022

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Cleaned it up as lossless as possible, then gave you a freebie.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Mister Facetious posted:

If the Dragon and the rest of the cover is anything to go by, it's an amalgamation: DuckTales, Ninja turtles, and... Double Dragon?
Also baseball.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

:hellyeah: :kamina:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

X-2

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

bushisms.txt posted:

excellent though he could use a big joint to smoke like a snoop dog gif.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Lost Odyssey :newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

bushisms.txt posted:

Good work!