Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm watching the Beyond the Brick review of the galaxy explorer set and he mentioned that he wants to see more adult oriented sets come with alternative builds. Then it hit me that this is one of the first big sets that isn't either licensed, so it can't be turned into anything besides what was agreed upon, or some very specific build that has pieces that only really work for that set. And the other big sets that have had multiple builds or modes have been generic themes. I really hope this will bring more about sets and themes like this. Licensed stuff is cool, and it's fun to think "wow this lego set looks like a thing I like", I also really like cool lego sets that can be multiple things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm sure that I am misremembering something but right now Avatar is the least interesting theme they have done in a long time for me.

Trollz, Angry Birds, Minions?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Cojawfee posted:

I'm watching the Beyond the Brick review of the galaxy explorer set and he mentioned that he wants to see more adult oriented sets come with alternative builds. Then it hit me that this is one of the first big sets that isn't either licensed, so it can't be turned into anything besides what was agreed upon, or some very specific build that has pieces that only really work for that set. And the other big sets that have had multiple builds or modes have been generic themes. I really hope this will bring more about sets and themes like this. Licensed stuff is cool, and it's fun to think "wow this lego set looks like a thing I like", I also really like cool lego sets that can be multiple things.
LEGO showed alternative builds on the backs of the boxes for the early Star Wars sets. There was no agreement saying they couldn't. They stopped doing that because people kept contacting them asking for instructions for the back-of-the-box builds, which they didn't want to provide because those models were kinda thrown together and not up to LEGO model standards. They were just supposed to show that you could build other stuff, not that you should also build this alternate thing.

This has little to do with your greater point; I just wanted to point out that licensing agreements do not necessarily preclude made-up alternate models.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I was thinking the other day it was a shame they never reused the Toy Story long legs and arms, this is some monkey's paw poo poo

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Carbohydrates posted:

LEGO showed alternative builds on the backs of the boxes for the early Star Wars sets. There was no agreement saying they couldn't. They stopped doing that because people kept contacting them asking for instructions for the back-of-the-box builds, which they didn't want to provide because those models were kinda thrown together and not up to LEGO model standards. They were just supposed to show that you could build other stuff, not that you should also build this alternate thing.

The ironic thing is that in the last few years that Lego had alternate builds on the box, they often included partial instructions in the manuals for them. Of course, those instructions were kind of just thrown together as well.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Cloks posted:

Angry Birds

I had no idea these existed, ... and I kind of like that bizarre pirate ship. I don't even remember there being a movie.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Maybe someday they’ll use the good Avatar license

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Maybe someday they’ll use the good Avatar license

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Avatar-The-Last-Airbender

Two sets, 16 years ago.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

These actually look nice

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I had no idea these existed, ... and I kind of like that bizarre pirate ship. I don't even remember there being a movie.

I like how someone clearly said “we have to be able to fling birds at poo poo,” but nobody wanted to figure out how to make a Lego slingshot that wouldn’t immediately get them in trouble with the US CPSC, so they just put them in a bucket-based catapult.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Huh.

Those resale values are uh, something else.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Anyone have any experience with these? I am seriously considering the F1 frame

https://www.fantasmall.com/collections/lego_mount

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Prophet of Nixon posted:

There were two Angry Birds movies, I believe these were for the second?

Anyway, I'm glad my knowledge of every licensing decision Lego has made can be useful somewhere.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Flyinglemur posted:

Anyone have any experience with these? I am seriously considering the F1 frame

https://www.fantasmall.com/collections/lego_mount

McLaren Orange...

It's called PAPAYA :crossarms:

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Cloks posted:

There were two Angry Birds movies, I believe these were for the second?

Anyway, I'm glad my knowledge of every licensing decision Lego has made can be useful somewhere.

Lego had the license for the first Angry Birds movie. A company called Edukie had the license for Angry Birds 2 - https://angrybirds.fandom.com/wiki/Edukie

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

MarxCarl posted:

Lego had the license for the first Angry Birds movie. A company called Edukie had the license for Angry Birds 2 - https://angrybirds.fandom.com/wiki/Edukie

Good to know, I'm happy the manufacturer of "Cool Girls Blocks" is scoring some wins.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Some of those pieces look like straight copies of Lego molds...

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

They probably are. I thought I heard a bunch of "quality" knockoffs started popping up because companies got a hold of discarded lego molds or something?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is that not illegal? I looked up Edukie and they're based in the Netherlands

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I would say the best line this year overall is Friends :shrug:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Futanari Damacy posted:

I would say the best line this year overall is Friends :shrug:

Yeah City has a surprisingly strong showing but Friends is killing it this year.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RatHat posted:

Is that not illegal? I looked up Edukie and they're based in the Netherlands

Maybe not, lego lost a court battle over it many years ago confirming that it is not a violation for another company to make bricks that interoperate with lego bricks. I guess that doesn't mean copies of molds is okay by default, but lego would have to care enough to do something about it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Atari 2600 review

This set really feels like they padded it out to justify the price. I would’ve been fine with just the cartridges and Atari for $50 cheaper, without the vignettes

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess you can't say that Lego isn't catering to adults I guess. I never had an Atari, so I have no nostalgia for it. I've never seen the appeal of it when there are better retro consoles that have games that actually look like something. It's tough for me to even want to play NES games, and I had one of those.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
How do the licenses work, are they per-unit royalties? Maybe Atari said $100 per or something and Lego was like "well then it must be SRP $250" or whatever to justify it

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

RatHat posted:

Atari 2600 review

This set really feels like they padded it out to justify the price. I would’ve been fine with just the cartridges and Atari for $50 cheaper, without the vignettes

Ironically, I could see little individual “cart + vignette” as possible sellers on their own. Pack in one in the main set, but individually sell the rest, just on the web site or something.

I’m not interested in spending that much for the whole getup, but I might spend $20 on a stand-alone E.T. cart/vignette.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Boco_T posted:

How do the licenses work, are they per-unit royalties? Maybe Atari said $100 per or something and Lego was like "well then it must be SRP $250" or whatever to justify it
They can be, or they can be a flat fee.
A license is just written permission to infringe on someone else's IP so really there's no limit on how they can structure paying for that permission.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

RatHat posted:

Some of those pieces look like straight copies of Lego molds...

To be fair, Lego molds are straight up copies of Kiddicraft Molds. Even Duplo molds a few years later are a straight up copy of Kiddicraft again.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I have no idea how the contacts for licences work, that stuff won't be said publicly. But the one thing that I know is universal for licensed LEGO stuff is that we can't sell licensed parts on their own, just the complete sets. So any parts that are clearly licensed can't be sold on Pick A Brick.

It's also why there is always a side build for Star Wars battle packs or whatever, we can't just sell a pack of like four Clone Troopers, but if you throw some scenery in it's now depicting something rather just being a collection of dudes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
To further clarify that's because Lego has the construction set licence and someone else has the action figures licence

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Lego related: Humble has a Lego games bundle right now in case you like those games. LEGO ninjago, movie, movie 2, dc villains, marvel avengers and some more.

Pretty good deal if you like those games.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
Anyone here interested in alternative brick brands (Sembo Block and the like)? During covid I got a little too trigger-happy with the ol' retail therapy and now I have loads of unbuilt sets I need to get rid of. It's almost all original stuff, not lego knockoffs - small city-type sets, shops, food stalls etc. If there is interest I could make an SA-mart thread.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Blue Moonlight posted:

Ironically, I could see little individual “cart + vignette” as possible sellers on their own. Pack in one in the main set, but individually sell the rest, just on the web site or something.

I’m not interested in spending that much for the whole getup, but I might spend $20 on a stand-alone E.T. cart/vignette.

100%. I'd also be on board for some NES action on that too.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

RatHat posted:

Atari 2600 review

Yeah, I don't really get the extra builds either. It makes no sense.

:v:: "Hey, let's get the Atari 2600 set to exactly 2600 pieces."
:dance::"Awesome idea, let's build some extra stuff!"
~ 2532 pieces later ~
:effort:: "That's good enough."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe the designer really did get to 2600 pieces, but it was all extra builds and management decided to cut a bunch of them to lower the price.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Does it come with 68 extra pieces?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Tarquinn posted:

Yeah, I don't really get the extra builds either. It makes no sense.

:v:: "Hey, let's get the Atari 2600 set to exactly 2600 pieces."
:dance::"Awesome idea, let's build some extra stuff!"
~ 2532 pieces later ~
:effort:: "That's good enough."

We’re there ever any other cool set/piece number matchups other than the Saturn V having 1969 pcs?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Someone on reddit said some Harry Potter set having 6020 pieces meant something, but I have no idea what that means.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Cojawfee posted:

I guess you can't say that Lego isn't catering to adults I guess. I never had an Atari, so I have no nostalgia for it. I've never seen the appeal of it when there are better retro consoles that have games that actually look like something. It's tough for me to even want to play NES games, and I had one of those.

I had an Atari and have no nostalgia for the system anyway, but I LOVE Centipede and would definitely get that little Centipede vignette if it was available separately. All 3 of those are really cool actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

I had disassembled Spaceshipx3 and kept the parts for a future project. (I built it with my kid when he was potty training and he’s almost 10 now.)

I liked LightYear XL-15 but instead of buying it, I did a Galaxy Explorer variant.
:)