Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GlassEye-Boy posted:

But then Harris would be president

*awkward laughter*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
since recovering would require him to prevail over something I have this complete and very resolved feeling that the president is already dead

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm glad the president has free healthcare during this diffulicult time, something which I know he and all democrats are committed to delivering to the American people struggling with medical debt 👍

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Can't wait for Hillary to dunk on Trump in 2016

https://twitter.com/OpenSecretsDC/status/1549810704278032385?s=20&t=buUUDBNYsIONNeujamjppA

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

huh i wonder how the republican party got taken over by extremist lunatics

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

ex post facho posted:

I'm glad the president has free healthcare during this diffulicult time, something which I know he and all democrats are committed to delivering to the American people struggling with medical debt 👍

Amazon to buy primary health-care provider One Medical for roughly $3.9 billion

Amazon is acquiring One Medical for $18 a share, an all-cash deal that values the primary health-care provider at roughly $3.9 billion.

One Medical, which went public in 2020, operates a network of boutique primary-care practices.

The deal deepens Amazon’s presence in health care, an area in which it has sought to expand by launching an online pharmacy and ramping up a telehealth service, among other things.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

Amazon to buy primary health-care provider One Medical for roughly $3.9 billion

Amazon is acquiring One Medical for $18 a share, an all-cash deal that values the primary health-care provider at roughly $3.9 billion.

One Medical, which went public in 2020, operates a network of boutique primary-care practices.

The deal deepens Amazon’s presence in health care, an area in which it has sought to expand by launching an online pharmacy and ramping up a telehealth service, among other things.

Goddamnit. That's my doctor. :(

Fart Dumbass
May 31, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

GlassEye-Boy posted:

But then Harris would be president

why

she would do nothing

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is an amazing photo

quote:

Republican Illinois gubernatorial candidate Darren Bailey delivers remarks after receiving an endorsement from former President Donald Trump during a Save America rally in Mendon, Illinois on June 25, 2022 in Mendon, Illinois (Photo by Michael B. Thomas/Getty Images)

:shepface: :trumpsmug:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Foo Diddley posted:

i mean dems are reacting to a trend here, the tea party poo poo was instigated entirely by rich chuds which lead to the freedom caucus which lead to trump and the generic shift towards fascism in the gop

dems arent powerful or smart enough to instigate this trend plus republican voters loving love their lunatic candidates with or without dem boosting

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Sundae posted:

Goddamnit. That's my doctor. :(

for a concierge prime fee of $500/month you can see your doc within 48 hours.

a white truck will even deliver you there.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
as an amazon prime member, i get to steal doctor's appointment times from non-prime members. and you get access to the prime video streaming platform

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Ammanas posted:

i mean dems are reacting to a trend here, the tea party poo poo was instigated entirely by rich chuds which lead to the freedom caucus which lead to trump and the generic shift towards fascism in the gop

dems arent powerful or smart enough to instigate this trend plus republican voters loving love their lunatic candidates with or without dem boosting

dems are getting 100% of what they want out of the party right now except for having one more senator then they'd like to maintain kayfabe, and this is their perfect presidency, they are powerful and smart enough to make sure their voters defend them as rabidly as every republican despite never doing their job

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Zvahl posted:

dems are getting 100% of what they want out of the party right now except for having one more senator then they'd like to maintain kayfabe, and this is their perfect presidency, they are powerful and smart enough to make sure their voters defend them as rabidly as every republican despite never doing their job

? dem voters arent defending them rabidly or otherwise. they're about to see historically low turnout in November and get wiped out despite a massive cudgel in Roe v Wade to motivate turnout.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Ammanas posted:

? dem voters arent defending them rabidly or otherwise. they're about to see historically low turnout in November and get wiped out despite a massive cudgel in Roe v Wade to motivate turnout.

lol if you think the 'we want better and gosh darn it we will demand it!' will last into actual voting season

they will get destroyed, yes, but the same trained monkeys who bang their cymbals will continue to demand nothing better be put into place and they will learn nothing and change nothing

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

i do see a lot of disappointment and angst among liberals i know, who are pretty upset with the democratic leadership

the thing is though, they have no ideology (well, they aren’t aware of the ideology they swim in). so that means the next time the democrats slap a new coat of paint on the rotting house they will soy face and start donating money again

but yeah legitimately biden is pretty loving unpopular with a lot of the libs, especially younger ones

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

THS2 posted:

i do see a lot of disappointment and angst among liberals i know, who are pretty upset with the democratic leadership

the thing is though, they have no ideology (well, they aren’t aware of the ideology they swim in). so that means the next time the democrats slap a new coat of paint on the rotting house they will soy face and start donating money again

but yeah legitimately biden is pretty loving unpopular with a lot of the libs, especially younger ones

yup

biden will die, kamala will do a couple of memes, and the wallets will open back up again

also Roe is on the ballot and have you SEEN the other guys???

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
If Kamala nae naes for joe biden's death I will also give her money

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

incredible SPD energy

I mean also these people who know history will today, with hindsight, praise the SPD and condemn the KPD. and repeat the same arguments about how fascism is bad and we have to stop it and in practice that means tacking right and empowering the fascists as much as possible. first as farce, then as farts

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The supreme court struck down Roe vs Wade and the democratic response is to make a huge deal about passing a law that says states can't ban birth control and I'm just gonna come out and say that doesn't seem like a proportional or sufficient response.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

WampaLord posted:

yup

biden will die, kamala will do a couple of memes, and the wallets will open back up again

also Roe is on the ballot and have you SEEN the other guys???

the wallets will open and roe is an easy dem win and yet dem turnout is going to be apocalyptic. people are not turning out for the party anymore.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ammanas posted:

the wallets will open and roe is an easy dem win and yet dem turnout is going to be apocalyptic. people are not turning out for the party anymore.

:hai:

the democrats will be destroyed

and they will fundraise off of it so hard

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
https://old.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/w4eoa4/how_in_gods_name_are_the_democrats_still_losing/

the article that i did not read appears to be about failures of the leadership of the democratic party

the comments are 100% about republicans

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Thoguh posted:

The supreme court struck down Roe vs Wade and the democratic response is to make a huge deal about passing a law that says states can't ban birth control and I'm just gonna come out and say that doesn't seem like a proportional or sufficient response.

Did they pass it?

Also have they made it legal to treat lupus and juvenile arthritis yet?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

https://old.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/w4eoa4/how_in_gods_name_are_the_democrats_still_losing/

the article that i did not read appears to be about failures of the leadership of the democratic party

quote:

FiveThirtyEight gives Dems about a one in eight chance of winning the House.

I know people hate Nate Silver, but he'd be the first to tell you that one in eight is not zero, and a lot can happen between now and November.

where do they sell the pills that give you this kind of optimism

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

gonna do a little "intentional stance" analysis here and suggest that boosting and supporting far-right candidates is a strategy rooted in the goal of far-right candidates succeeding, and talking about the "beliefs" of diffuse actors contra their actions is making GBS threads in your own brain

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Pure projection.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

i read the column and it sucks rear end.

quote:

But the Democrats have to overcome their natural desire to eat their own or snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. That is the party's continuing curse. In this environment, the zero-sum game of politics, oddly enough conjured up by the shriveled mind of onetime GOP House Speaker Newt Gingrich, holds sway in certain factions of the Democratic Party. "My way or the highway" isn't just a rant from a stifling parent. It is a battle cry among some Democrats — and among all Republicans. It makes building a consensus increasingly difficult.

"I spent most of my career in the federal government, and I'm very practical about what can get done even on the best days," Democratic strategist Julie Zebrak explained. "I do think Democrats putting forth candidates who create false expectations and who have views that aren't realistic is a problem. For the midterms, we need to put forth candidates who can beat the Republicans, and I'm not sure that's always who we chose."

Each party used to understand that concept. Today, it is anathema to true believers everywhere. But the real problem, according to strategists on both sides of the aisle, is renewed voter apathy. People are tired of Trump. People are tired of Biden. People are tired of broken promises and unattainable goals. "If they become frustrated and don't turn out to vote, everyone loses," Zebrak warned.

Fifty years after women got the right to vote, Roe v. Wade solidified a basic constitutional right for all women. Fifty years later, it was lost. What if 50 years after women got the right to vote, they then lost that right? Can anyone seriously imagine that? Unfortunately, today you can. So, there is no doubt a great deal of frustration both with politics and in politics today.

The bright spot for the Democrats, the non-Trump Republicans and the American people has been the Jan. 6 hearings — which will wrap up (at least for now) in primetime splendor on Thursday night. The messaging coming from these hearings has been clear and concise. Those who engineered its presentation have made sure it is a fair and factual representation of the ongoing coup conducted by Donald Trump, which still threatens this country. It has been precedent-setting. It's been enlightening, frightening and overwhelming. Part of that is due to how these hearings have been produced.

If the Democrats can learn from the hearings and apply those lessons in messaging to the campaigns for the midterms — while remembering to pick candidates who can actually win a general election (two really big ifs) — the Democrats might thrive this fall. Might.

But cutting through the clatter in a typical news day remains a tool the Democrats don't readily have available. Issues? Ideas? Stances? Those they have in abundance. But only the Republicans have a handle on how to energize their base, through fear and nostalgia for a time that never really existed. That cuts through everything. You don't have to actually like a Republican. Hell, apparently few people really do — even those who vote for them. The Republicans are just really good at scaring the poo poo out of a large number of American voters, while placing eternal blame on the Democrats.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Pure projection.

TBF he's not wrong that Americans are mentally unwell

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Impossible. They consume more brain drugs than the rest of the world combined.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

i read the column and it sucks rear end.

quote:

Issues? Ideas? Stances? Those they have in abundance.

yes, too many differents stances on the same idea is a big issue with the Democratic Party

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

christmas boots posted:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

yes, too many differents stances on the same idea is a big issue with the Democratic Party

i mean Democrats do have policies. theyre a conservative party trying to maintain an administrative state (that generally does protect some basic tepid universal interests) without harming the interests of the wealthy. its no mystery why no one is excited to vote for them

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ammanas posted:

i mean Democrats do have policies. theyre a conservative party trying to maintain an administrative state (that generally does protect some basic tepid universal interests) without harming the interests of the wealthy. its no mystery why no one is excited to vote for them

God, I wish. The 5% of people who are like "not republicans, wow 5 stars" have rapidly become the most annoying people on the planet

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
God willing, the president will experience a swift conclusion to his illness and will never suffer again. :patriot:

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Foo Diddley posted:

The funny part about this pied piper bullshit is dems genuinely think boosting far right voices is a good idea in an era where trust in public institutions has historically collapsed among the population for years now. The fact they’re still doing this poo poo after they unwittingly got Trump elected if proof these loving idiots are dumber than they are ideologically incoherent

Vermin supreme ‘24 hth

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

quote:

Roe v. Wade solidified a basic constitutional right for all women
Evidently not

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Impossible. They consume more brain drugs than the rest of the world combined.

it's not nearly enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

MLSM posted:

The funny part about this pied piper bullshit is dems genuinely think boosting far right voices is a good idea in an era where trust in public institutions has historically collapsed among the population for years now. The fact they’re still doing this poo poo after they unwittingly got Trump elected if proof these loving idiots are dumber than they are ideologically incoherent

Vermin supreme ‘24 hth

"it's called strategy, don't people understand this?!?"

- something I've heard from multiple lib friends and acquaintances