Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sponge jizz is not blessed.

And no, I will not quote it for a new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

McGavin posted:

Sponge jizz is not blessed.

And no, I will not quote it for a new page.

It's a miracle of life!

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Oh lord he cummin'

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
he started nuttin' and never stopped nuttin'

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

Oh lord he cummin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT3BFzSD6YY

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i took this last weekend . it's been threatening to rain for 2 weeks and it just hasn't

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

mobby_6kl posted:

It's a miracle of life!

Life sucks. Zero stars. Would not exist again. F-

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kntfkr posted:

i took this last weekend . it's been threatening to rain for 2 weeks and it just hasn't

this is beautiful, thank you for sharing!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

McGavin posted:

Sponge jizz is blessed.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/CedricFeschotte/status/1549820800638795780

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Why the long face?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Juffo-Wup fills in my fibers and I grow turgid.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I went looking on the internet for guidance on repotting a very big cheese plant, and the examples I found of 'very big cheese plants' being repotted were depressingly tiny.
I do not thing our big cheese plant can realistically be repotted.

Fortunately Big Cheese is doing really well, and has gotten noticeably happier since Little Cheese moved in next door. It's very strange and lovely; since the smaller plant was moved to that place, the Big Cheese has put out far more leaves at the lower levels. Notice how the leaves at the lower level are really new and fresh. Big Cheese wants to be friends with Little Cheese :3:

This is Little Cheese:

edit: Little Cheese used to live in a not very well-lit, and extremely drafty part of the house. Back then, Little Cheese only ever had 4-5 leaves and was always quite frail. Since moving to the room with Big Cheese, Little Cheese has absolutely thrived and is putting out a new leaf at least once a month ( they currently have at least 22 leaves).
It's wonderful :3:.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 21, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
My fiancée is in love with big cheese and little cheese. She wants to know your cheese growing secrets.

We just have Manuel who's still a little cheese. But we have only had him since February.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've never heard the name of those, and I'm also delighted to find out they are formally called Monstera deliciosa

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pookah posted:

I went looking on the internet for guidance on repotting a very big cheese plant, and the examples I found of 'very big cheese plants' being repotted were depressingly tiny.

Whenever I've had to repot a really large plant that is difficult to maneuver (like a really heavy spiky cactus) I've found that it's a lot simpler and a lot easier on the plant to sacrifice the pot and smash it or cut it away. Getting them out of the old pot is usually the hard part, getting them into a new larger pot is usually comparatively easy.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
that's a really nice looking plant.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Mega Comrade posted:

My fiancée is in love with big cheese and little cheese. She wants to know your cheese growing secrets.

We just have Manuel who's still a little cheese. But we have only had him since February.

That's a lovely, healthy happy cheese - look at those happy new leaves! Manuel is a happy healthy cheesey boy :)

I'm 100% no expert, but I do love them very much. They are insanely tough, resilient plants -in their own environments, they live in very high humidity, and a lot of warmth. I've seen our own cheeses survive in extremely low-humidity, pretty cold - prolonged temps under 10 celcius, and they've been fine.
We had a previous extremely large cheese, and what killed him was -10 celcius weather that froze his floating roots as they came in touch with the pot. He could have survived pretty much anything else. I didn't realize what the problem was until the poor old boy was almost dead.

After that, all the Cheeses got brought into the heated parts of the house. No freezing cold for our giant plant friends.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've never heard the name of those, and I'm also delighted to find out they are formally called Monstera deliciosa

So named because the leaves look weird but it has edible fruits. Here's the fruits on one of the monsteras in my backyard:

Apparently it takes a year for the fruit to ripen but I've never tasted them because they usually get eaten by critters before they ripen. :(

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

efb lmao
so called deliciosa because it bears some crazy looking fruit which apparently tastes great. never tried it personally.

grats on your monstrous cheese plant.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Whenever I've had to repot a really large plant that is difficult to maneuver (like a really heavy spiky cactus) I've found that it's a lot simpler and a lot easier on the plant to sacrifice the pot and smash it or cut it away. Getting them out of the old pot is usually the hard part, getting them into a new larger pot is usually comparatively easy.

The main problem is that Big Cheese is almost entirely an aerial plant at this point. His upper portion is hanging out of a strap attached to the upper picture rail. Smashing the pot is definitely an option, and I'd like to do it, since the poor old guy has had the same compost for at least 30 years and drat, that's just not nice.
But on the other hand, his root ball might well be stuck to the pot, and we lost a lovely cheese plant to exactly that problem less than a year ago, when we tried to re-pot it.

It's not ideal, but watering and then regularly feeding Big Cheese is keeping him happy and healthy even with the not-ideal pot situation. We regularly catch and place his floating roots so that they land in the pot to get food and water. I'm extremely fond of him and his little cheesy friend, so I'm very wary of doing anything that might hurt either of them.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Pookah posted:

Fortunately Big Cheese is doing really well, and has gotten noticeably happier since Little Cheese moved in next door. It's very strange and lovely; since the smaller plant was moved to that place, the Big Cheese has put out far more leaves at the lower levels. Notice how the leaves at the lower level are really new and fresh. Big Cheese wants to be friends with Little Cheese :3:

This is Little Cheese:

edit: Little Cheese used to live in a not very well-lit, and extremely drafty part of the house. Back then, Little Cheese only ever had 4-5 leaves and was always quite frail. Since moving to the room with Big Cheese, Little Cheese has absolutely thrived and is putting out a new leaf at least once a month ( they currently have at least 22 leaves).
It's wonderful :3:.

Looks amazing. Do you reinforce it with sticks it can climb up or does it just form sturdy enough stalks to not collapse under its own weight?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

davidspackage posted:

Looks amazing. Do you reinforce it with sticks it can climb up or does it just form sturdy enough stalks to not collapse under its own weight?

Just behind the base of the highest leaf, there is a picture hook screwed into the picture rail. That carries a wide black strap that is wrapped around the upper parts of Big Cheese to support his weight. It extends down about 3 feet to support the upper parts, and the rest of the plant depends from that structure. It's wide ribbon-type material, which is good, because it doesn't cut into the stalks when they get too thick and heavy.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Pookah posted:

The main problem is that Big Cheese is almost entirely an aerial plant at this point. His upper portion is hanging out of a strap attached to the upper picture rail. Smashing the pot is definitely an option, and I'd like to do it, since the poor old guy has had the same compost for at least 30 years and drat, that's just not nice.
But on the other hand, his root ball might well be stuck to the pot, and we lost a lovely cheese plant to exactly that problem less than a year ago, when we tried to re-pot it.

It's not ideal, but watering and then regularly feeding Big Cheese is keeping him happy and healthy even with the not-ideal pot situation. We regularly catch and place his floating roots so that they land in the pot to get food and water. I'm extremely fond of him and his little cheesy friend, so I'm very wary of doing anything that might hurt either of them.

I never knew what these were called. I had a friend that was about half the size of Big Cheese, and just never asked. How much sunlight do they need?

And if the ball was stuck to the pot, it'd cause some trauma I imagine, but couldn't just kind of cut straight down, or like scrape down the sides of the pot, then break/cut it open?

Do you think the pot size is causing any issue in growth?

(what a strange-rear end thread to find this sort of info in)
#BigBlessedCheese

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

blight rhino posted:

I never knew what these were called. I had a friend that was about half the size of Big Cheese, and just never asked. How much sunlight do they need?

And if the ball was stuck to the pot, it'd cause some trauma I imagine, but couldn't just kind of cut straight down, or like scrape down the sides of the pot, then break/cut it open?

Do you think the pot size is causing any issue in growth?

(what a strange-rear end thread to find this sort of info in)
#BigBlessedCheese

As far as I know, they are an undergrowth forest plant, so they do not need a lot of direct light.
In my own experience, they are extremely resilient, tough plants who just keep going in a very wide variety of circumstances.
Little Cheese in my first post lived in a very draughty hall in Ireland for at least 20 years. He survived but didn't thrive until he was moved into a much warmer, much less draughty room.
He's grown so much since he was moved and is an entirely different plant.

Scraping down the sides to detach the root ball would probably be pretty successful but when we were repotting all the leafy lads, we had no idea what we were doing, so it was crazy lucky it went as well as it did.

I'm not going anywhere near Big Cheese's pot.
I've never seen that plant so happy as when that Little Cheese moved in next door.
It's seriously adorable.
Big Cheese is putting out all these new leaves beside Little Cheese, and Little Cheese is healthier than I've seen them in decades.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I just discovered Uncle Roger and he is very blessed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9pS4yEz7jw

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Field Mousepad posted:

HAI YAHHHH

(I love uncle Roger, he is wonderful)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Field Mousepad posted:

"Uncle Roger need a bit of fear to finish also. That why I love getting choked."

Hahaha, I'm sold

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Uncle Roger is right about most things

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Pookah posted:

FU YOOOH!

(I love uncle Roger, he is wonderful)

ftfy

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
There was a little back-and-forth about this earlier, but this video shows some interesting vocalizing from a cat 'in the wild' (owner put a camera on his outdoor cat):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JrkxfDNabk

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

I made garlic bread at work today

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dog nougat posted:

I made garlic bread at work today

Looks good

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005