Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Ok, this actually looks like it'll be entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiMinixSXII

hyped for the gelatinous cube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Is the druid a Tiefling?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Fried Watermelon posted:

Is the druid a Tiefling?

Looks like it yeah.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 21, 2022

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I liked seeing all the monsters such as the Mimic, Displacer Beast, Owlbear, and MCU-style Humor.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

scary ghost dog posted:

hyped for the gelatinous cube

It can’t be a D&D movie without a gelatinous cube and/or a mimic.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vintersorg posted:

I wonder if it'll reveal that they're just sitting at a table at the end playing D&D and those are their characters.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Vintersorg posted:

Oh this looks good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gonz posted:

That does look fun. And it’s good that they played up the humor aspect, because that last movie was such a bummer.

Chris Pine gave an interview a while back saying that the movie was kind of an action comedy.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jewmanji posted:

Woah, I thought that looked like absolute bile. An utterly bland and cynical cash grab.

we must look to the late 90s to find more pure intentions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SnA2rv4ros

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

thrawn527 posted:

drat. That does look fun.

Oh no, I want to see a Dungeons & Dragons movie.

it actually looks totally fine. basically big budget Critical Role. i'm here for that

i legit lol'd at "owlbear"

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Extreme Guardians of the Galaxy vibes from that. Which is fine, that was a good movie. I dunno. I like Chris Pine and Michelle Rodriguez and the Owlbear was cool.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Chris Pine has big Nathan Drake energy in that trailer

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I like Chris Pine. It'll always be funny to me that he mostly played Captain Kirk his own way and then went full Shatner-parody for Into the Woods of all things.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Pine is forever great after knocking it out in Hell or High Water which is an underrated classic IMO.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Vintersorg posted:

Pine is forever great after knocking it out in Hell or High Water which is an underrated classic IMO.

He's really good in that. Much less show-y role than Ben Foster or Jeff Bridges, but absolutely as-good or better than them.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1550260474092167170?s=20&t=WCRtEjeX50JK5F_6_FNZ4w

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

D&D is fantasy but modern. That's the point.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah at this point it's gone from Tokien and Frazetta to "Nowdieval" and has been that way for a while. Spelljammer, Planescape, and the Steampunk elements have been around for decades.

Do I wish George Miller would make a Dark Sun movie? Yes. Do I think that can honestly happen? Absolutely not.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

The MSJ posted:

D&D is fantasy but modern. That's the point.

What does this mean? Genuinely curious. Are you talking about the PnP game or this movie?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Yeah, does anyone want a bunch of "doth my lady" dialogue going on? I was an English Lit major, but as I've aged, my patience for Elizabethan language and Shakespearean soliloquies has waned very thin...

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jewmanji posted:

What does this mean? Genuinely curious. Are you talking about the PnP game or this movie?

Have you ever played a single session of Dungeons and Dragons? How do the protagonists talk and act in these games?

If any "brand" (ugh) has earned the right to use "a bunch of goobers quip their way through deadly adventures" it is honestly Dungeons and Dragons.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Have you ever played a single session of Dungeons and Dragons? How do the protagonists talk and act in these games?

If any "brand" (ugh) has earned the right to use "a bunch of goobers quip their way through deadly adventures" it is honestly Dungeons and Dragons.

Ah yes, nothing evokes the feeling of playing D&D with my besties more than watching Chris Prine drop ironic quips here and there and winking at the camera.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jewmanji posted:

Ah yes, nothing evokes the feeling of playing D&D with my besties than watching Chris Prine drop winking quips here and winking at the camera.

It's not possible to evoke the feeling of playing D&D with your besties through the medium of cinema, so this is an extremely stupid point.

Either the movie was going to be completely meta, or it was going to be "in world" and in either case it was not going to be played straight. If that bothers you then oh well.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's not possible to evoke the feeling of playing D&D with your besties through the medium of cinema, so this is an extremely stupid point.

Then what was your point with this? "Have you ever played a single session of Dungeons and Dragons? How do the protagonists talk and act in these games?"

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

You can't accurately represent D&D in a movie because the way a group behaves and talks and treats the universe entirely depends on the table.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
lmao what the hell is going on here

when people literally play D&D they literally talk in jokey quippy fashion

it's entirely authentic to have the movie be like that!!!

edit: and i mean "in character". what i'm saying is that for decades now the vast majority of gamer people, for better or worse, have decided to be witty

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

precision posted:

lmao what the hell is going on here

when people literally play D&D they literally talk in jokey quippy fashion

it's entirely authentic to have the movie be like that!!!

edit: and i mean "in character". what i'm saying is that for decades now the vast majority of gamer people, for better or worse, have decided to be witty

Maybe so. This type of fourth-wall breaking, ironic embarrassment has been utilized for, what 20 years now (Pirates of the Caribbean?). It had its moment but I'm ready for a different type of movie.

Anyway, I don't mean to be a wet blanket. I hope it's good and I'm glad people in this thread are excited about it!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Maybe so. This type of fourth-wall breaking, ironic embarrassment has been utilized for, what 20 years now (Pirates of the Caribbean?). It had its moment but I'm ready for a different type of movie.

Anyway, I don't mean to be a wet blanket. I hope it's good and I'm glad people in this thread are excited about it!

the dialogue in pirates of the caribbean is charming and believable

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Not enough Monty Python quotes to be believable.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm not trying to be rude but like it or not (and I don't) Critical Role is the "face" of D&D and the movie is a decent approximation of it.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Would have loved to see a D&D movie done Jumanji style

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

There's an entire genre of anime dedicated to people getting sucked into MMORPGs Jumanji style, so I guess in a way the idea has precedent.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's Owen Kline's dir. debut. One of his only acting credits was as the younger brother in The Squid and the Whale 17 years ago. His parents are Kevin Kline and Phoebe Cates

Made me curious and yup we've got another one, another Keanu Reeves-type vampire

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

I laughed a bunch.

That's a really good sign for a trailer!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

we must look to the late 90s to find more pure intentions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SnA2rv4ros

the only good thing about that loving movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOCGeOtjIHQ

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Ah yes, nothing evokes the feeling of playing D&D with my besties more than watching Chris Prine drop ironic quips here and there and winking at the camera.

quip post alert. swear there are phrases and words that are embedded in everyone's mind here.

where is prine being ironic in this trailer btw? he's being serious throughout the trailer, the characters around him are poking fun at him.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Vintersorg posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but, I am now interested in watching a D&D movie. I loved the tone. It looks like they are striking a nice balance between treating the source material as a universe to be embraced while still feeling free to make a movie that can just be entertaining.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Looks a lot more fun than I'd have expected. I'm down.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BlueBayou posted:

Would have loved to see a D&D movie done Jumanji style

So, an adaptation of DIE then? I'm entirely down for that, although it would have to be a prestige mini-series rather than a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vintersorg posted:

I love that it's just like a bunch of D&D memes, Chris Pine and Hugh Grant.

gently caress it i'm in. You had me at Gelatinous cube and Owlbears.