Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can buy kirkland or kerrygold unsalted too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

bucksmash posted:

Husband and I were at a friend's home the other day and they had homemade bread and a big rear end block of Kerrygold butter. Tried it, never had butter that good before.

Long story short after finding out Kirkland's grass-fed butter is pretty much the same thing, we bought six boxes. Every other butter can go to hell now (except for the unsalted butter we buy for baking).

I assume the Kirkland is a lot cheaper?

I buy the Kerrygold but I don’t actually think it’s top-tier butter. I prefer Lurpak or various $$$ French butters I’ve tried.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Unsalted butter is for mooks. Leave the salted stick on the counter for months until you remember it for mashed potatoes or something and enjoy your brie

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Forgot how good the Kirkland peanut butter pretzel bites are...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

large hands posted:

Welp I'm adding these to my Friday shopping list now

My tires are getting changed at 11am... never gotten the done at Costco, should I like, wait until they're definitively ready to shop cause of frozen/refrigerated stuff?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Johnny Truant posted:

My tires are getting changed at 11am... never gotten the done at Costco, should I like, wait until they're definitively ready to shop cause of frozen/refrigerated stuff?

Depends entirely on your location - some (like mine) and continually hopelessly slammed, others appear to be fine. If it’s 11AM tomorrow I would assume they wouldn’t be that busy, but I dunno. Since it’s your first time using them I would be cautious.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

david_a posted:

Depends entirely on your location - some (like mine) and continually hopelessly slammed, others appear to be fine. If it’s 11AM tomorrow I would assume they wouldn’t be that busy, but I dunno. Since it’s your first time using them I would be cautious.

11am Friday, but yeah I'm gonna bring my kindle :hai:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

large hands posted:

They are dangerous. A handful usually isn’t enough. I learned not to buy them years ago, unless I’m looking to gain a few pounds.

Johnny Truant posted:

Welp I'm adding these to my Friday shopping list now

Last time I got mine changed, as soon as I dropped it off, I went and ate a hotdog, got the drink, did my shopping and by the time I made it to produce I was getting a call it was ready.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Ineffiable posted:

Is there any good time frame to watch out for tvs on sale from Costco or it just seems to happen randomly? I'll just keep an eye out each month.

Really depends on the TV you're looking for plus any Shop Card promos. The LG C1 line (the 2021 OLED) is as cheap as its going to get right now because the C2 (2022 model) is out and production of the C1 stopped plus C1 supply in stock is low as hell.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

pentyne posted:

Has anyone ever ordered the same day delivery from costco? I go to Costco every weekend and constantly get the same stuff, but when checking online I swear all the items are slightly more expensive then they are in store.

I'm looking at a receipt from a few days ago, the frozen shrimp in store was $16.39 and the same bag online is $19.18.

Online prices are always higher. Even on stuff that’s not same day/instacart, they bake the shipping costs into the price of the item instead.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
My Costco didn't have 505 today :mad:

I did get a bag of the street corn I've been eyeing as well has a jar of black truffles in oil because why not?

Also some of that Japanese bbq sauce you guys were talking about.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 21, 2022

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Kaddish posted:

I did get a bag of the street corn I've been eyeing as well has a jar of black truffles in oil because why not?

oh poo poo, like the frozen street corn thing? tell me how that is, i've eyed it for awhile

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

oh poo poo, like the frozen street corn thing? tell me how that is, i've eyed it for awhile

My wife and I both really like it, works great as a side dish or on tacos.

e: street corn, tortilla encrusted tilapia, microwave bag of cilantro rice, and black beans makes a kick rear end Costco based burrito bowl

e2: topped with some 505 of course

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 21, 2022

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

My wife and I both really like it, works great as a side dish or on tacos.

e: street corn, tortilla encrusted tilapia, microwave bag of cilantro rice, and black beans makes a kick rear end Costco based burrito bowl

e2: topped with some 505 of course

:eyepop:

drat, my partner and i are about to get a fuckton of cilantro from our garden, this is def happening (except probably salmon since we still have costco salmon filets in the freezer)

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Johnny Truant posted:

The cheese comes separately in the bag. I suggest using it sparingly at first, it’s pretty pungent.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Anyone have opinions on these beans?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Kaddish posted:

The Japanese BBQ sauce is excellent. Bachanns or something.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Anyone have opinions on these beans?

If they don't have a roast date, I don't recommend them. Grocery store beans generally are bad because they're old as hell.

You generally want roasted within the last month or so for a bag that big.

Take this opinion with a coffee snob grain of salt.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

If they don't have a roast date, I don't recommend them. Grocery store beans generally are bad because they're old as hell.

Counterpoint. Costco has a small selection and the product there moves quick.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

I agree with this 100%. All the coffee i've found there is old as heck, unless I get lucky and a new product comes in.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I've tried half a dozen different coffee beans from Costco and have disliked them all pretty strongly.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Counterpoint. Costco has a small selection and the product there moves quick.

Doesn’t matter. It could sit for months before hitting shelves because of how companies purchase and move stuff around.

Coffee starts to taste stale after 8 weeks max, and is gross after a few months. Most grocery stores don’t like putting roast dates on bags for this reason.

I personally would never buy a bag without a roast date, and a bag that size never more than 1 month old.

But again, snob.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I've tried half a dozen different coffee beans from Costco and have disliked them all pretty strongly.

Isn't Costco just Starbucks beans?

To be honest Trader Joe's has the best beans if I want to grind my own. But I usually just buy whatever is BOGO at Publix.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Just buy the big box of Folgers instant coffee and call it good.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I snag multiple bags of the 2lb co-op coffee from church and it's perfectly fine for drip coffee that then gets repurposed into iced coffee with Costco almond milk and Costco agave nectar

:coffeepal:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I find a couple cups of Folgers and a couple cups of Jongga (the one with two "g"s) kimchi really sets me up for a solid midday number two on the company clock

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Kaddish posted:

a jar of black truffles in oil because why not?
Because they're probably Chinese black truffles, a different species with none of the merits of real black truffles.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there are two sounds in korean that correspond to a western g and neither actually sound like g. theres ㄱ, which corresponds to half-aspirated g, so like mix g and k together, and ㄲ, whoch really doesnt correspond to an english sound

jonga is the jonga with a ㄱ

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 21, 2022

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Kaddish posted:

Isn't Costco just Starbucks beans?

To be honest Trader Joe's has the best beans if I want to grind my own. But I usually just buy whatever is BOGO at Publix.

Like every Costco, some items are regional. I sometimes get a bean roasted in Charleston, SC, because my Costco is in SE NC.

Same reason you can find gift cards to local places in Costco. Every year around Christmas I stock up on my local car wash gift cards because you can get $100 for $70.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there are two sounds in korean that correspond to a western g and neither actually sound like g. theres ㄱ, which corresponds to half-aspirated g, so like mix g and k together, and ㄲ, whoch really doesnt correspond to an english sound

jonga is the jonga with a ㄱ

This is a pretty cool fact about the maker of my favorite kimchi, Jongga (the one with two "g"s)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it means house of direct eldest paternal lineage, connotation is the big house

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
basically if youre switching to male primogeniture in crusader kings you're passin on the 종가집

but that would be a weird way to put it cuz the connotation is also for oldfashioned koreanness, which is why the brand is that way

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

If oldfashioned koreanness means great kimchi, sign me up :yum:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Doesn’t matter. It could sit for months before hitting shelves because of how companies purchase and move stuff around.

Coffee starts to taste stale after 8 weeks max, and is gross after a few months. Most grocery stores don’t like putting roast dates on bags for this reason.

I personally would never buy a bag without a roast date, and a bag that size never more than 1 month old.

But again, snob.

I can't even be mad since you're a self proclaimed snob.

I'm a fan of gas station coffee.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

StormDrain posted:

I can't even be mad since you're a self proclaimed snob.

I'm a fan of gas station coffee.

I'm a fan of coffee with a shitload of sweetener and creamer, so, basically, not a fan of coffee per se.

edit: I'm saying: don't waste the good stuff on me.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

its all nice on rice posted:

Just buy the big box of Folgers instant coffee and call it good.

I actually keep some instant coffee on hand at all times and I picked up this stuff from Aldi for like $1.79 or something ridiculous and it's great for what it is.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

are some of you dopes really drinking folgers jesus christ why not just piss in your own mouth its cheaper and tastes the same

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I got the 505 chiles once abd when I opened it there was old chiles around the rim of the jar. Like someone poured some out and didnt wipe the rim before screwing the lid back on. But the thing is that when i look at more jars at Costco they all seem to have the same thing going on. Do you guys have this happening with your 505 chiles?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I actually keep some instant coffee on hand at all times and I picked up this stuff from Aldi for like $1.79 or something ridiculous and it's great for what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDrh5pujB9I

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

bird with big dick posted:

are some of you dopes really drinking folgers jesus christ why not just piss in your own mouth its cheaper and tastes the same

Well LA DEE DA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I got the 505 chiles once abd when I opened it there was old chiles around the rim of the jar. Like someone poured some out and didnt wipe the rim before screwing the lid back on. But the thing is that when i look at more jars at Costco they all seem to have the same thing going on. Do you guys have this happening with your 505 chiles?

Yeah
They're pasteurized after canning though