Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for moving my family to another state after my parents bought our first home for us in the midwest?

I could see an argument for them being an rear end in a top hat if the house was bought for them and they resold it after 6-12 months. 5 years is long enough and this dude did nothing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'll agree, Indiana and Iowa are both far worse than Ohio. Ohio has Cleveland which isn't the greatest city but has some value, like a slightly grimier Milwaukee. Indiana is just 140 miles of cow poo poo, corn, and lunatic Christian supremacists.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Elissimpark posted:

If I'm going to get pegged to Grieg, I feel that "In the hole of the Mounting King" would be more appropriate.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Besides the aformentioned points of them living there for 5 years, if there was talk that this was meant to a home for generations to come, then maybe the dad would have a point. But as far as I can tell, there wasn't. You can't give gifts with strings attached, let alone retroactively attach strings. They wouldn't be gifts then.

I don't have any sympathy to the argument that they shouldn't have "unilaterally" sold the house without the dad's input. It's not his house; it belonged to OP and his wife.

Anyways, content.

AITA for quitting my job because of what my boss said?

quote:

I 21F just quit my job of two years because of a situation with my boss, I want to add that my day off has always been Wednesday. well I got a call at 9:00am to see if I could cover his sister in laws shift because she wasn’t feeling good, Normally I would go into work on my day off to cover anyone who couldn’t make it but this was 30mins before the store would open and we have to be there at 9am to get the store ready. Also I didn’t have time to take my son (3yo) to daycare, I said no because I have to go see my mom in the hospital (she’s been having heart problems, already has diabetes and passed out and has been in the the hospital a few days.) well when I said no he was silent and then said “well to be honest with you, that’s not my problem I don’t want the next time you can’t work to be this excuse again. I tried reminding him it was my day off but he had hung up. I just went about my day visited my mom, around 10am I saw his sister in law posted a picture of her with her sister,my boss and their kids with the caption “breakfast with the family” I sent him a message saying that I know my mom being sick isn’t his problem but trying to get me to cover his sister in laws shift, just so they could go out for breakfast wasn’t the way to go about getting me to come into work on my day off. He tried lying and saying they didn’t go out and I just sent him the picture and told him I wouldn’t be coming back to work anymore. Now I’m getting messages from my old coworker’s, his wife and sister in law telling me that I could’ve just went to see my mom another day and I made it into a big deal for no reason so AITA?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'll agree, Indiana and Iowa are both far worse than Ohio. Ohio has Cleveland which isn't the greatest city but has some value, like a slightly grimier Milwaukee. Indiana is just 140 miles of cow poo poo, corn, and lunatic Christian supremacists.

I'll rag on Cincy being bad, but I do like the zoo (I do like the Columbus one better) and the museums in the Hall of Justice are pretty OK. Also, I went to the art museum for the first time and it was surprisingly good, even before I came across a portrait of a woman in the 18th century who later married and became Mrs. Thicknesse.

Air Force museum is pretty dope if you like planes and don't mind the militarism.

Maybe the fact that it has some good things going for it but still wallows in chub slop is the problem. Like, it'd never be the BEST state, but it could be solidly middle-ranked, but it's consciously choosing to race to the bottom with Idaho or Alabama or Kansas.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

House gifting is an act of aggression

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
Never look a gift house in the mouth.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

DemoneeHo posted:

There is a lawyer out there drooling and he's not sure why. I bet dollars to donuts her now former coworkers are being lied to/pressured to harass her over this.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

DemoneeHo posted:

Besides the aformentioned points of them living there for 5 years, if there was talk that this was meant to a home for generations to come, then maybe the dad would have a point. But as far as I can tell, there wasn't. You can't give gifts with strings attached, let alone retroactively attach strings. They wouldn't be gifts then.

I don't have any sympathy to the argument that they shouldn't have "unilaterally" sold the house without the dad's input. It's not his house; it belonged to OP and his wife.

Anyways, content.

I love bosses like this.

Some years ago, my coworker needed a day off because her grandfather was dying. She went to the boss to ask for a few days off. I will never forget his reply. "That isn't important. People die every day. What I really need is you to be working in the gift shop this weekend."

AITA? For wanting to know my bfs secret?

quote:

So basically I (26f) was having lunch with my bf(36m) and he randomly asked if I have a d** th bed secret. ( a secret you would only say on your d**th bed). I said no and he said he did. I asked what it was and he said he won’t tell me but maybe before he dies. I got a bit weirded out and he explained it’s not a bad thing and it’s like the time we went ring shopping but didn’t get one. I said is it to do with marriage or rings and he said no it’s an example. Anyway I let it go. A few days later he’s nervous about a phone call from his boss he thinks it will be bad and I think it will be good. He says if it’s a good call he will tell me his death bed secret if it’s bad he won’t. I was annoyed by that and said he shouldn’t be keeping stuff from me and it’s cruel to keep teasing me with something like that. I got annoyed and went to another room and won’t talk to him. He said I’m the a****le because I should respect his privacy and shouldn’t be mad and should be greatful he even considered telling me. But I’m mad because he’s keeping stuff from me and teasing it. AITA??

Stupid games, stupid prizes.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

So he started the conversation and continues bringing it up basically just so he can keep being annoying about it? That post reads like a Livejournal entry I would have written fifteen years ago.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Baron von Eevl posted:

Bloomington is nice!

Just don't ever leave it.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Cowslips Warren posted:

It sounds like the guy wants to tell her to and be immune to any consequences or judgement.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

DemoneeHo posted:

I honestly never expected that workers would have so much power on my lifetime and every time I'm reminded of it makes me happy.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for getting my boyfriend arrested

quote:

I’ll just get straight to it. I’m a college student and this is my last semester until medical school. I’ve never been able to get a loan I’ve worked 5 1/2 years to get this degree because I have to pay out of pocket so it takes way longer. I’ve worked two sometimes three jobs at a time and barely had a social life. For this upcoming semester I reached my goal for tuition so I quit one of my jobs so I could relax a bit. I was a server/bartender at two bars and an office job so I always have cash hidden in my apartment in my closet in box and before the semester starts a week or two before I deposit it so I can pay my tuition. My boyfriend sometimes stays over while I’m there or when I’m not. Since I’ve been saving for this semester he’s the only one who’s been over I’ve never told him about the box but he knows I have to pay for school.

Well yesterday night I get home to put money in the box because I was gonna deposit it today and it’s all gone. I freaked out and tore my apartment up thinking I put it somewhere else knowing I didn’t. I called my boyfriend like crazy no answer. I didn’t sleep last night I was panicking. Then this morning he finally calls me back I’m yelling at him about my money he’s acting all confused and like I’m crazy. He comes over I’m still pissed off after a while he finally admits he took it so he can borrow and he’ll pay me back. Where tf is he gonna get $14,000 from in two weeks?! I went into a rage and called the police and reported a theft because that is what he did.

Well it’s been hours now I guess he got his phone call because his family has been blowing my phone up and his mother has said some really hurtful and racist things to me. They’ve been harassing me for the past 6 hours now it’s stressing me out even more and I hate that I’m feeling bad for him but he stole my money that I’ve been saving for months. His brother did call and he was respectful and said they’ll help him pay it back and I should just go to the police station with him and tell them I want to drop the charges but I really don’t believe them. I could do that and never get my money back still. I don’t know what to do and I hate that I’m contemplating doing this. I’m just really pissed off and have been crying all loving day.

put a couple paragraph breaks in there. anyway i can't believe that OP is so upset about this one little thing

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really hope she has enough of a spine to give them a twelve hour ultimatum to pay her back before she presses charges.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Foo Diddley posted:

quote:

Where tf is he gonna get $14,000 from in two weeks?!

I mean, technically you only need one kidney

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Foo Diddley posted:

put a couple paragraph breaks in there. anyway i can't believe that OP is so upset about this one little thing

Again, this just annoys the gently caress out of me, but how does everyone in his family have her phone number and why isn't her response to everyone, "where's my loving money??" You'd think with all those folks calling her they could pool some poo poo together and pay her back.

What the gently caress did he even spend the money on, drugs? Gambling? I kinda doubt he was paying down his credit card.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Solkanar512 posted:

What the gently caress did he even spend the money on, drugs? Gambling? I kinda doubt he was paying down his credit card.

NFTs or Diablo Immortal, take your pick

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Solkanar512 posted:

Limited edition funko pops, dog heelies, and soup tubes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cowslips Warren posted:

Obviously the answer here is to enact some complicated Mission Impossible scheme to convince him he has terminal cancer or something and ask again

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for going “bridezilla” after my bridesmaid spilled wine on my wedding dress?

quote:

I (27 F) got married a month ago. My dress was this long, lacy gown that my mom wore at her wedding. My mom passed away about 2 years ago.

Because the dress was so important to me, I had a big plan to keep it safe from any damages. I would only wear the dress at the wedding itself, and I would switch to a more casual dress for the reception. When I was wearing the dress, I wouldn’t eat or drink anything except water, and I would stay inside at all times.

I promise I’m not usually this crazy about cleanliness, but this was my mom’s dress, and the thought of it being damaged broke my heart. But I also knew I wanted to wear it when I got married to have a piece of her with me. She adored this dress and always dreamed I would wear it.

My bridesmaids knew very well about my particularities with the dress. I had a room above the venue where I was getting ready. My dress was hanging in a safe place in the room.

On the day of the wedding, I went down to check on something for the wedding, leaving my bridesmaids in the room. Here’s what happened, as they told it to me:

They opened a bottle of Pinot Noir (my favorite) as a celebration. They poured themselves glasses and began to walk around checking out the room. One of my bridesmaids, “Anna,” (27 F) wanted to get a closer look at my dress. She got really close to it, and she started touching the lace. Somehow, her hand holding the wine glass slipped, and wine spilled all over the bottom of the dress.

When I came upstairs, they told me what happened, and I started sobbing. My maid of honor called several professional cleaners, and they said there was no way they could get the dress in before the wedding. They told us ways to save the dress until we could get it into them, so my MOH started doing that.

After that call, I became extremely angry. I asked “Anna” what the hell she was doing holding red wine so close to my dress when she knew how careful I was being. She dismissed it and said it wasn’t such a big deal because I was planning to wear the dress, so it could have gotten damaged that way too.

I couldn’t believe she said that. I called her thoughtless and careless and stupid. I told her that she was no longer part of the wedding and that I wanted her to leave. She left, and neither of us have reached out to the other since.

I got married in the dress I had planned to wear for the reception, and I was heartbroken not to be wearing my mom’s dress. After the wedding, my bridesmaids joked that I was a bridezilla for kicking “Anna” out after she made a “honest mistake.”

I absolutely don’t think I’m the AH or a bridezilla because Anna’s reaction was so horrible and insincere. But I wanted to get the story off my chest and ask some people who might be more impartial, AITA?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Foo Diddley posted:

Other than that he's a perfect boyfriend!

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

She's the victim of a crime and has my sympathy, but what the hell was she thinking keeping that much cash effectively stuffed in a mattress at home? Prosecute the boyfriend to the fullest extent of the law, but what a goddanmn moron.

Edit: and how the hell does she expect to prove to the police the value of what was stolen??

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

The Bramble posted:

She's the victim of a crime and has my sympathy, but what the hell was she thinking keeping that much cash effectively stuffed in a mattress at home? Prosecute the boyfriend to the fullest extent of the law, but what a goddanmn moron.

Edit: and how the hell does she expect to prove to the police the value of what was stolen??

in the comments she mentions she has paystubs, but a lot of the money was tips so :rip: her case

but hey, at least she didn't have to trust her money to a bank, huh

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

The Bramble posted:

Oh it's a totally brilliant plan. see instead of making a bunch a little trips to the bank you just make one big trip!

if there are any potential downsides to this plan I can't imagine what they would be.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah when I was working a service job I deposited my tips like every couple weeks... also, don't banks get weird about cash deposits that large?

I mean, boyfriend 1000% still the rear end in a top hat, though. I hope she finds some way to get the full sum back. Maybe his lovely family can chip in.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

Yeah when I was working a service job I deposited my tips like every couple weeks... also, don't banks get weird about cash deposits that large?

I mean, boyfriend 1000% still the rear end in a top hat, though. I hope she finds some way to get the full sum back. Maybe his lovely family can chip in.

Any transactions over $10,000 have to be reported to the feds. Which means if he deposited that money in his account or spent it all in one place, it'd be relatively easy for prosecutors to track.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

gay frog chemicals posted:

I really hope she has enough of a spine to give them a twelve hour ultimatum to pay her back before she presses charges.

Sure, I'll drop the charges. For $14,000 cash in-hand.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

lmao. perfect.

ps: why does this thread move so fast?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Foo Diddley posted:

apparently a lot of reddit commenters think it's okay to put strings on a gift as long as it costs enough

if the parents had bought them an ugly engagement ring or something they'd all agree OP was NTA for selling it, but a house is just too much i guess

quote:

I think YTA. Totally understandable that you wanted to leave Ohio, but kind of messed up you sold the house, without consulting them and kept the money. Even more so because you used the money to leave, which is like the exact opposite of what they gave you money for in the first place.

quote:

Your parents made the mistake of trusting you & not adding their names to the title of the home. YTA

quote:

This exactly.

quote:

It's easier to put a life estate on a property. Then the property can't be sold without either the permission of the people on the life estate or their death certificates.

However they don't get involved or tied into property taxes or insurance issues and aren't tied to the property in such a way that they could be sued if something happened, etc.

It's a nice way to control the sale of a property without getting legally involved.

quote:

This is for the USA? I plan on buying my son a house when he goes to college in AZ. I like this idea.

Real strong "I will buy a continued relationship with my kids" energy with all this.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I have been reliably informed by The Presidents of the United States and Drew Carey that Cleveland, in fact, rocks.

For content...

AITA for not telling my distant cousin that I speak English?

quote:

I(22F) am from south Asia. People around here frequent local languages but many speak English as a second language. I myself speak 7 languages including English and Korean. My family was going for a vocation overseas while I had college entrance exam. So my uncle offered me to stay at theirs after it as my family wouldn't be here. I went to their summer house and my cousins(their 3 sons) are like older brothers to me. One of them taught me how to ride horses, another how to aim and the other one gave me access to his massive anime collection which I absolutely LOVE!!!

My aunt told me her brother from America is coming to visit with kids in a few days as well. 2 days later I was watching anime on my laptop with headphones and this 24 yo(let's call him frank) taps my shoulder and asks me, "Do you guys really get Anime here in Punjabi?" Before I'd reply he added,"O! My bad you mustn't know English cause people here are illiterate." I being a petty person in hardcore punjabi replied, "I don't know what you are saying." in punjabi. He scoffed and left. He said many inappropriate things along with his sister about me and the staff at home all day thinking I didn't understand any.

Next day at the breakfast table my uncle asked me if I had introduced myself to the guests they were talking in English, I replied in the respective lang that, "No cause I was too illiterate to introduce myself in eng." Regardless to say frank and his sisters freaked out. Frank and his sisters yelled at me to making a fool out of them and left the room. They are refusing to come out and their mother has been calling me AH and asking me to apologise for making them feel bad on their vocation. My aunt, uncle and cousins don't think I have done anything wrong and are fine even if I don't apologise but now I kind of feel bad about this. So reddit AITA?

(added paragraph breaks)

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DoubleNegative posted:

I have been reliably informed by The Presidents of the United States and Drew Carey that Cleveland, in fact, rocks.

For content...

AITA for not telling my distant cousin that I speak English?

(added paragraph breaks)

"he say me no speak good english on vocation? unpossible! i am petty in hardcore punjabi!!!"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA? My Best Friend Got 3 Readings On Me Behind My Back.

quote:

Okay so I'm doing an extremely long story short. My best friend and I recently fell out due to her telling me to STFU. I don't really know when she started saying that to me but I've NEVER liked it. After the falling out words were passed and I told her for the first time ever telling me to STFU upset me. We both wound up apologizing to each other. As days go on I've noticed she's been distant. I texted her and asked if we could talk because I got off work early she said yes we can. Okay great. I tell her I missed her and just wanted to hear her voice. She says Can I ask you a question? Do you have a problem with me? I told her the only problem I had with her is the fact that she tells me to STFU. She proceeds to tell me it's a joke and how I say it to her too (which is untrue) and lots of other mean things as well. I asked her to give me an example. She couldn't.I asked her if she's been standoffish towards me and she says yeah I have. She then says I got 3 readings on you. She tell me that "they" (people who did the readings) said that I have a problem with her, I'm holding a grudge and that I'm mad because she walked away from me. I would up telling her if she wants to believe her readings over me then fine. She says okay and then hangs up the phone. We've been BFF since the age 14! I'm 30F and she's 31F. I texted her that she was dead rear end wrong! How she's upset with me for something COMPLETELY different that what I thought! I tried to tell her instead of going behind my back and getting readings done on me, she could have easily talked to me and we could have hashed things out. I told her because she didn't care how I felt, today would be the day those readings come true. She didn't care. I told her she broke my heart and she never responded to that. I deleted her number and cried myself to sleep that night. The next day she says she confused. At this point I'm angry. I told her that her readings did come true. The only thing I keep thinking about and not in this order but she texted me, "I have a right to know who's in my circle. You just want to argue but positive vibes only." I was in disbelief. She tells me I'm playing the victim and she only asked me a question. How she did talk to me before the reading (she did not). How if I'm mad then I need to delete her number and how I'm twisting her words. She says she "told me" she was going to get a reading on everyone but name...but the difference is she only told me about everyone else...and about the 3 she got on me.

My last message to her was for her to tell her family that she's gotten readings on them and see how they respond. How she didn't care about how I felt when I tried to tell her the one problem I did have and how if she chooses the readings...then they will become true. Which they have. I also told her she chose her circle and to leave me alone. She doesn't understand why I'm upset and says she'll, "take that as a sign".AITA for overreacting? Or do I stand my ground?

:yikes:

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Foo Diddley posted:

I imagine she's in too much shock to be thinking about prefixes, but I hope this dude is now her ex-boyfriend.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA? My Best Friend Got 3 Readings On Me Behind My Back.

:yikes:

i'm not sure how to respond as i have no goddamn idea what any of that word salad means

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And abortion facility! :chef: For the moment.

it's still legal in IL.

AITA disinviting my fiancé's aunt and uncle from our wedding unless they agree to honor our wedding's color scheme

quote:

My fiancé Jeremy and I are having a Creature Feature themed wedding. In order to save money we're having before October instead of around Halloween. We sent out our invitations a couple weeks ago and have started to hear back from people. Its seriously being a headache because every other person has some kind of gripe about our wedding.

No children under 15. There's no ringbearear or flower girls or junior bridesmaids- relatives in either family thinks their kid should have that honor. Love my nieces, nephews, and little cousins but main reason for this is the Creature Feature aspect. Lot of zombie, vampires, werewolf, etc stuff like instead of my father walking me down the aisle to the podium, we're going to be chased by zombified wedding party to the podium.

Obviously with monsters we're going for a dark and dreary look. We've given guests the choices of coming in costume or minimum of smart casual attire. To keep with the dark and dreary aesthetic, we've asked our wedding party and guests to please wear one of the following colors or any combination: Black, blue, red, silver, gray, dark purple, and white accents are allowed.

Jeremy's aunt called asking if we were serious about the color requirement. We told her yes. His aunt and uncle insist they're already compromising enough by making their youngest kid miss out on an important family event. She said they weren't going to further make a mockery of weddings by dressing all gloomy because weddings should be a festive occassion so she'll be wearing one of her favorite pink dresses and her husband in a yellow shirt. We told them we'd discuss it. We did, and figured stick to our colors. We called them back and told them if they feel that strongly about it, it'd probably be best if they didn't attend because we don't want to force them to wear colors they don't like or attend a wedding they don't vibe with. If they change their minds, let us know before the RSVP date.

Some of Jeremy's family and our wedding party is telling us now we should just let them wear what they want since we're already making it hard and unconventional by banning young kids and having things like zombie chases, Halloween games, etc. I think we're already being pretty generous and relaxed with our guests and wedding party in how they dress. I want our families to have fun with us. Are we being AHs?

ETA: 'Smart casual' is a compromise we made for Jeremy's family. They didn't like the idea of people showing up to a wedding in casual attire because it wasn't proper. I'm already compromising with my family by wearing a gown. Compromises on our part have been made already. If someone just doesn't have the colors or can't afford something new- fine, let us know and we can work something out! Help get something or offer something to put on during the ceremony part. If it was that kind of situation with his aunt, she wouldn't have been disinvited, it was the telling us we're making a mockery of weddings with it that did her in.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

nashona posted:

AITA disinviting my fiancé's aunt and uncle from our wedding unless they agree to honor our wedding's color scheme

everybody knows kids under 15 hate halloween

Jam With Seeds
Dec 20, 2008

nashona posted:

Why would wearing a gown be a compromise when Bride of Frankenstein is right there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yellow and pink?!