Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

BonoMan posted:

Oh gah can't believe I didn't think of discord/slack. Thanks!

There's also the gear trades thread here on SA, I've bought/sold a few things from goons and I've yet to have any issues.

Ugh I hate snipes, here's my recent inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OReKutHJpn4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Coolnezzz posted:

There's also the gear trades thread here on SA, I've bought/sold a few things from goons and I've yet to have any issues.

Ugh I hate snipes, here's my recent inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OReKutHJpn4

Good idea, posted there first.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Kind of excited this evening, bought a pair of what I thought were terminals but turned out to be whole systems, with capacitive touchscreens and quad celeron processors, essentially as powerful as a good tablet. They have NT 6.4 installed. I dl'd the Win 10 drivers. I think I might skip setting up a headless m8 tracker and maybe try playing with these instead. Or I could just put one VST on each one. So many possibilities.

At any rate I'm not settled in yet, things are very scattered and hectic and I haven't even set up my stereo yet. I hope to make some more noises for you guys and dolls sometime soon.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I rewrote my effortpost on Euclidean rhythms for an academic journal, and it got accepted for publication!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

So Math posted:

I rewrote my effortpost on Euclidean rhythms for an academic journal, and it got accepted for publication!

oh hell yeah congrats!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yooooooooo :slick:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

So Math posted:

Congrats!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

So Math posted:

link to post/preprint if available?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That’s awesome! This is my favorite thread, good work everyone.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

JamesKPolk posted:

It's a good one to check back in with every couple of years. for a while the dot com row was several x the truck but actually it might have flipped back again over the past two. though w/ synthesizers.com shuttering...

man, I hadn't heard about this for some reason. Like maybe 13 or 14 years ago my wife got me the Synthesizers.com module of the month starter set. Everything they did was so fantastically made. I absolutely to this day enjoy patching the dotcom so much more than my Eurorack gear just because of how great everything FEELS. Sounds really good too.

This just made me really sad. I have an empty slot sitting there I had been hemming and hawing about for months on whether or not I wanted an Osc+ or some of their other newer stuff. Guess I'll just have to find another 5U maker to finish it. Oh well.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

So Math posted:

Nice one! Love playing with euclidean rhythms. Have been building a generative drum machine based on them recently, lots of variation possible from small tweaks.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I found a hidden command on the PO Mega Man: While you hold the sound button, the two knobs set levels for the lead and bass parts.

Ok Comboomer posted:

link to post/preprint if available?

Sure!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

So Math posted:

Oh nice! Congratulations!

for fucks sake posted:

Nice one! Love playing with euclidean rhythms. Have been building a generative drum machine based on them recently, lots of variation possible from small tweaks.

Yeah one of my favorite ways to throw together something funky on the fly is to use the Euclidean option in Bitwig's note repeat device and then hook a random modulator to the note density. Gives you a constantly shifting syncopated rhythm, and since you can throw those elements into independent drum slots on the Drum Machine you can pick which parts are doing it.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 20, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh nice! Congratulations!

Yeah one of my favorite ways to throw together something funky on the fly is to use the Euclidean option in Bitwig's note repeat device and then hook a random modulator to the note density. Gives you a constantly shifting syncopated rhythm, and since you can throw those elements into independent drum slots on the Drum Machine you can pick which parts are doing it.

Boy this is the coolest thing

As is this entire line of discussion, so glad to hear about the publication, so math.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If anyone in here does iOS stuff, my favorite euclidean implementation is the Euclidean app from 4pockets. It's not just the circle thing we're all used to but it can randomize melodies and a bunch of midi cc's so it's a one stop shop for hitting a button and letting the computer make you a song.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

xzzy posted:

If anyone in here does iOS stuff, my favorite euclidean implementation is the Euclidean app from 4pockets. It's not just the circle thing we're all used to but it can randomize melodies and a bunch of midi cc's so it's a one stop shop for hitting a button and letting the computer make you a song.

Cool, eager to hear of any other such devices or apps. Since I just got these tablet computers, I'm all about a cool VSTI to do that for me, too.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I liked that paper a lot because I get infinitely more out of implementing algorithms like that by hand as I program a sequencer than I do by any generators. Approaching this stuff humanistically I think is an important element in the analysis.

cool paper, So Math

Also

quote:

Arguing for the aesthetic value of Euclidean rhythms is outside the scope of this work.
However,

lmao

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I get that, but sometimes I don't want to think about the song, just the sound design. That's when I pull out the Euclidean generator and hit the random button, the enjoyment that evening comes from building an instrument set that fits it.

Then I either move on or convert the sequence to a piano roll for hand adjustment. But usually I just enjoy the groove for a bit and forget about it.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I'm glad you use your powers for good

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Trig Discipline posted:

I'm using Bitwig too, but I wanted something where multiple drum parts could play without playing over one another, so I used the note grid.

https://i.imgur.com/Z0704pW.mp4

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

So Math posted:

Congrats, that's awesome!

dexefiend posted:

Now to go patch it up!

:hawaaaafap:

/edit: Befaco has some of my favorite panel aesthetics in eurorack - bold, high-contrast, easy to read and figure out where everything goes. It's part of why I built a Rampage instead of getting a Maths.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 21, 2022

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

RocketMermaid posted:

Congrats, that's awesome!

:hawaaaafap:

/edit: Befaco has some of my favorite panel aesthetics in eurorack - bold, high-contrast, easy to read and figure out where everything goes. It's part of why I built a Rampage instead of getting a Maths.

I pulled out the Chopping Kinky and dropped in an Ornament and Crime. O&C is just so good.

Throw on Integer Sequence with 8 step pattern, and #song.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

dexefiend posted:

I pulled out the Chopping Kinky and dropped in an Ornament and Crime. O&C is just so good.

Throw on Integer Sequence with 8 step pattern, and #song.

I know I keep saying it, but I can't get enough of pairing o_C's Harrington 1200 with the Acid Rain Chainsaw for weird chord progression madness. It's how this came into being: https://rocketmermaid.bandcamp.com/track/fernweh

Also pairing Viznutcracker, Sweet! with a LPG and some modulation can make some crazy chip/noise percussion: https://soundcloud.com/rocketmermaid/nerve-reactor

How did you like the Chopping Kinky? I considered getting one before I ultimately got an Instruo athru.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

https://noiseengineering.us/products/pink-loquelic-iteritas

gently caress me, I wish I had money for this. I've been wanting a Loquelic for a long time and I love modules that have colorful front panels.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Any interest in the new Make Noise XPO? I think it's a really cool idea but I'll never get one.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

net work error posted:

Any interest in the new Make Noise XPO? I think it's a really cool idea but I'll never get one.

I watched the Perfect Circuit demo and thought it was neat. It’d probably take me about 10 years of working down my list of wanted modules before I picked one up though. :shrug:

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer

net work error posted:

Preordering one, mostly because I’m a make noise junkie, but also cuz I have an xpan and qpas and mimeophon already so it’ll fit right in with its stereo friends

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

RocketMermaid posted:

How did you like the Chopping Kinky? I considered getting one before I ultimately got an Instruo athru.

I like it a lot actually. I like distortion, and it makes the Even VCO much more interesting.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

dexefiend posted:

I like it a lot actually. I like distortion, and it makes the Even VCO much more interesting.

That's mostly what I use my athru for as well - it especially makes my Volca Drum sound chewy as hell.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

edgar_ posted:

Preordering one, mostly because I’m a make noise junkie, but also cuz I have an xpan and qpas and mimeophon already so it’ll fit right in with its stereo friends

With the other modules this definitely would get appropriate use.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ooh. I used primarily chopping kinky, modulated by an envelope follower and a couple lfos to mess up Lament of Orpheus from the Hades soundtrack. Just played it on my phone, plugged into my mixer/interface, and into vcv rack.https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zDyfIBieiMsNlRAZbl2Uurfmmf09XSVZ/view?usp=drivesdk

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

So Math posted:

This is so cool, congrats!

Bonus (for me): Your username totally makes sense!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

for fucks sake posted:

I'm using Bitwig too, but I wanted something where multiple drum parts could play without playing over one another, so I used the note grid.

https://i.imgur.com/Z0704pW.mp4

Oh drat that's cool! I keep telling myself that one of these days I'll learn the Grid in depth but I seem to never run out of goofy poo poo to do just with ridiculously complex FX routing and modulation, and just never really sit down to start learning.

I just love how flexible Bitwig is and how easy it is to package things up for reuse. I have a semi-regular weird noise jam with some friends and basically what I do is spend a few weeks making patches and sampler instruments that I promptly forget, and then pull them up when we get together and go "what the gently caress is th-oh hey that is neat". I've got quite a large library of weird noises and effects chains now.

e: As an example that is very on topic, yesterday I had the idea of using the Note FX Selector with round robin and note repeats so that any chord you play will be split up so that each note gets its own Euclidean rhythm with a different density. The result is a sort of weird syncopated arpeggiator. Not sure what I'll use it for, but now I've got it packaged up and ready to throw into whatever.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 22, 2022

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Speaking of euclidean rhythms I used the cardinal vst in reaper with the polygene module feeding into the midi notes. I used it to control some drums from kontak it needs some tweaking but it's a good start.

I use that module in vcv rack for drums alot if you use a polyphonic merge module before it and a polyphonic split after you can get each drum on its own "channel" with different rhythms off of one clock.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Trig Discipline posted:

e: As an example that is very on topic, yesterday I had the idea of using the Note FX Selector with round robin and note repeats so that any chord you play will be split up so that each note gets its own Euclidean rhythm with a different density. The result is a sort of weird syncopated arpeggiator. Not sure what I'll use it for, but now I've got it packaged up and ready to throw into whatever.

I did that in the grid too :D

https://i.imgur.com/aU9xL4o.mp4

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Think I might know the answer, but I'll solicit some recommendations from here anyway. I've been recording some patches from VCV, each recording being like 10-20 minutes long, and my intent is to plunder them for good samples - e.g. a cool ambient background, a dope drum loop, a weird SFX. Is there a recommended tool for this? Renoise is okay for sample processing, but I wish it was easier to specify the BPM of a sample and snap slice markers to beats, since a lot of stuff in my patches runs off of clock.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
If you have it, Ableton can be nice. It detects bpm decently enough as long as your recording has a strong beat and doesn't change tempo. Or just write your tempo in the filename when exporting from VCV and manually match it in the DAW. The killer feature is that you can bind a key to the "set marker" function. Then you listen to your whole set and just press your button every time you come to something you want to slice up later. I think you can even get the markers to stick to the note grid.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Audacity has a couple tools that might help, it has a beat finder (that I think kind of sucks, but maybe I don't know how to use it) and a "label sounds" option that looks for gaps in audio and sets up selections based on silent gaps in the file. So if your file has no gaps it probably won't work, but it's still worth keeping in mind.

I hate recommending Audacity, using it is all pain, but it does tend to do just about everything one needs to edit a wav fileat a basic level.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

audacity is really good for direct recording of your outboard mix and running normalize on it and exporting that as a wav file, that's what I use it for any way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The one problem with that is that I modulated the clock at some point :v:

I have Audacity and I’ve used it before, it’s fine for smaller things. Ableton I should really get into considering how commonly used it is now, and to get used to non-tracker DAWs.

I’ll take a look!