Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Imagine giving Jesse Lingard nearly 200k a week. I'm sure that wont cause any issues in the dressing room when he's on like 10x more wages than most of the other players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Hoping Arsenal buy him and Maddison and fire Xhaka into the sun OP.

Xhaka is the absolutely perfect player for modern Arsenal and I hope they never ever sell him because I will miss laughing at whatever bone-headed and needless things he does multiple times through the season to cost them valuable points

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

blue footed boobie posted:

He’s right but staying at Barca seems weird if you want a stable club.

Good restaurants though

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Just Chamber posted:

Imagine giving Jesse Lingard nearly 200k a week. I'm sure that wont cause any issues in the dressing room when he's on like 10x more wages than most of the other players.

it looks like he's on a one-year deal so they're just going to wink and bundle two-thirds of the money in signing/loyalty fees

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

FullLeatherJacket posted:

it looks like he's on a one-year deal so they're just going to wink and bundle two-thirds of the money in signing/loyalty fees

The number I've seen is £80k/wk but there could be some hilarious bonuses in there.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Shrapnig posted:

The number I've seen is £80k/wk but there could be some hilarious bonuses in there.

West Ham offered £150k/wk but he went to Forest cos we wouldn't match their significantly higher offer. I assume most of it is front loaded in signing-on fees etc but he's gonna be getting a fat wedge every week, apparently the rest of their squad is earning £300k/wk combined

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Good guy Big Frenk doesn't want to eat dinner at 630pm.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

The rational observer would assume De Jong is doing what he should to make sure Barca can't wriggle out of paying him nearly 20m euros in fuckin deferred wages to help bail out their sorry asses. If he willingly takes a contract termination with no fuss they get out free with wages he should have been paid already had they not been commuted. If De Jong willingly takes the transfer he's got no case with a court of arbitration for the money they're screwing him out of. Whether he genuinely wants to come to United and work with Ten Hag or not, he'd be a loving idiot to say so to anyone anywhere near the press.

I hope we get him but if it's down to him getting what he's owed from Barca or having to move on I'd be absolutely fine with him digging his heels in.

Either we'll blink as deadline day approaches and give up or Barca will and work out some agreement over the money he's owed so they can get the sale through. Either way this saga is running until September.

I'd wager the higher fee Barca agreed to is to cover what they owe him but they're trying to see if they can pocket and get rid before conceding.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 22, 2022

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
https://twitter.com/SouthamptonFC/status/1550227991887843337?t=wnytEM7_Xutkby8QhA76kA&s=19

Southampton have agreed a deal in principle, so not quite a bold but soon. Looks like the club had to announce something early after Bordeaux announced it to the world to show they have money coming in.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If barca didn't want to pay de jong the money they owe maybe they shouldn't have gone wild in the transfer market like they actually can afford it

They just sold another 15% of future TV revenue

https://twitter.com/FCBarcelona_cat/status/1550375578196475904?t=m5_6E1tQl61XfXczCzZslA&s=19

Jose fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 22, 2022

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Whether he genuinely wants to come to United and work with Ten Hag or not, he'd be a loving idiot to say so to anyone anywhere near the press.

Yep, this is absolutely the crux of it.

Coincidentally, have any other teams had issue with pay deferred during COVID that hasn’t been paid up? Or I guess any clubs that are in and around the Champions League, as I know there are teams in the lower leagues that did go under thanks to COVID.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've not heard of any other clubs deferring payment which absolutely sounds like a Barca finances are just that hosed situation

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Obviously, they've been terribly run and haven't been looking to the future for ages, but realistically how are they not hosed by selling off future TV rights? Is this purely to keep them afloat in the short term and they'll be in bigger trouble down the line or do they have any sort of plan to raise money by selling off naming rights or the training ground or something?

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006
I think a guy like de Jong wants to play big games in the knockout stages of CL. Man U isnt in CL this year, and what if they miss out next year? Sure he wants the money Barca owes him, but I dont think he would joint Man U even if Barca payed what they owed him today. Chelsea could probably pursuade him tho.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Barca trying to hijack Chelsea's move for Jules Kounde is incredibly funny.

They finished 2nd in La Liga before this Summer's madness, they already have Champions League football. Why piss away future revenue when you are already basically achieving all you need to.

Oh yeah the presidential nonsense

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's fascinating. Looking forward to them finishing 2nd again and going out in the last 16 of the CL in a hilarious away leg collapse.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Mickolution posted:

Obviously, they've been terribly run and haven't been looking to the future for ages, but realistically how are they not hosed by selling off future TV rights? Is this purely to keep them afloat in the short term and they'll be in bigger trouble down the line or do they have any sort of plan to raise money by selling off naming rights or the training ground or something?

They're $1.5bn in debt to one of the big us banks

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Barca trying to hijack Chelsea's move for Jules Kounde is incredibly funny.

They finished 2nd in La Liga before this Summer's madness, they already have Champions League football. Why piss away future revenue when you are already basically achieving all you need to.

Oh yeah the presidential nonsense

Yeah it's the next president's problem.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Could Barca get to a place where they mortgaged away so much of their future they are utterly unable to move in the present? Asking for a friend…

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Mickolution posted:

They're not necessarily "hosed" in the future from what I can tell, but they're also not in a good place

Barcelona are facing 2 issues at the same time.

1 - short term. Basically, La Liga has some relatively strict rules on registration and wage caps based on p/l, and barcelona's losses were/are bad enough that they are having difficulty literally registering players, as in the app that la liga clubs do it through legitimately will not allow them to click the button to register kessie and co. to solve this, they need cash now so losses don't look so bad, hence selling assets like future tv revenues and the merchandise wing.

2 - mid to longer term: they have a shitload of debt, a lot of which is coming current soon-ish, and interest rates are going up worldwide + barcelona have a pretty poo poo credit rating. this one, ironically, isn't as bad as bullet point 1 because for whatever reason, all spanish speakers on earth that don't support real madrid are more than happy to throw money at the club no matter what they do. if barcelona normalize their cash flow they're probably completely fine within a few years and able to handle the debt they have, just cuz they legitimately make so much loving money.

the above relies on the idea that they wont start handing out 500k/w contracts to jermaine defoe knockoffs or whatever again, which is a big ask for this club, but my genuine opinion is that they'll be completely fine within a few years, even if they're playing with an absurd amount of fire right now. to me, it feels wild to pump this money into player acquisitions, which as a business strategy, feels ludicrously variable (what if lewandowski snaps his leg in half against levante or whoever) and not really worth it (the prize money difference for 1st or 2nd in la liga is minor, they should be high enough quality to get out of the group stages before most of these transfers in the CL, etc. and i don't really consider raphina and co. like some insane marketing opportunity)

were also now in a world where shutdowns are a much bigger possibility than they were pre-COVID, so while of course that was a black swan event, once you see one of those it's more likely you'll see another. but i guess then you get into political question territory, i cant imagine most of the world would handle large scale shutdowns again so even if there was a reason to do it, who knows if it'd actually happen

i'm still waiting on the annual report to see audited numbers, but overall: condition is really bad, they're gambling a lot to normalize things, but in most circumstances they should be fine

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
It’s probably pretty bad when Real Madrid look like they’ve been prudent and sober about their spending compared to you.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
This sure is wacky way to announce a new signing

https://twitter.com/burnleyofficial/status/1550510103656337409?s=21&t=WQI0A2BQbmzpZcS0KP6I5Q

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

If they were signing young players who might last them a long time it would make more sense but they're not even doing that

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I mean Lewandowski is absolutely gonna continue being a goal machine for at least another two years, so I don’t think pulling out all stops to register him is that bad or shortsighted an idea.

It’s the other signings that make little sense to me. Do they really need a Raphinha more than they need De Jong? What’s Kessie to them that they’re willing to forgo future TV revenues?

That said if they win La Liga next season they’re almost definitely going to be a-okay afaik, so maybe we’ll all just have eggs on our face then.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Vegetable posted:

It’s the other signings that make little sense to me. Do they really need a Raphinha more than they need De Jong? What’s Kessie to them that they’re willing to forgo future TV revenues?

The point of the club is to get something out of it op. Either as a direct jobs for the boys/family scheme, indirectly through agent fee kickbacks or something, and in a very roundabout way by building up influencing in and around Catalunya. Mes que un bag of money it is not.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
No one with any power at barcelona cares about the long term, because the way the club is set up it is literally detrimental to do so. The only thing that is important is the next presidential election.

This is why they are selling away media rights for the next 100 years or whatever to now buy a player like Kessie because they think he will improve them this season and that's it.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

nawilo_420 posted:

No one with any power at barcelona cares about the long term, because the way the club is set up it is literally detrimental to do so. The only thing that is important is the next presidential election.

This is why they are selling away media rights for the next 100 years or whatever to now buy a player like Kessie because they think he will improve them this season and that's it.

Genuinely feel that Laporta is going to end up as hated/reviled as Bartomeu in a decade or two.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Sandwolf posted:

Could Barca get to a place where they mortgaged away so much of their future they are utterly unable to move in the present? Asking for a friend…

Don't look sex ghost, Ridsdale can't hurt you any longer

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Vegetable posted:

I mean Lewandowski is absolutely gonna continue being a goal machine for at least another two years, so I don’t think pulling out all stops to register him is that bad or shortsighted an idea.

That said if they win La Liga next season they’re almost definitely going to be a-okay afaik, so maybe we’ll all just have eggs on our face then.

from a business point of view, there's really not a whole lot of difference between winning la liga and coming 2nd. i don't really buy the argument that there's a world of different marketing opportunities if they happen to win, which is sometimes put forward. i would reckon barcelona's ability to secure advertising contracts would be roughly equal whether they come in 1st or 2nd. its the CL where they kinda NEED to get out of the group stages, and it was pretty bad for them that they didn't last year, but i'm also of the opinion that the transfers in the winter window should be enough to get them to the knockout stages (and similarly, i'm of the opinion that even with Lewa and Kessie and them, they're still not serious CL contenders at this point)

part of whats tempering my opinion on them is that they are legitimately great at making money. revenues for barcelona are huge, bigger than any english club. if the fans werent rabid monsters, the smartest thing to do IMO would be live with coming in 2nd to madrid for a few years and just reaching the CL knockouts and maybe winning a copa del rey and then start investing once it's clear we're beyond the worst of the debt issues (and once espai project is completed). but the democratic nature of the club means that this is impossible, if laporta isn't making big signings there's going to be a billion spaniards online calling for the election of whoever the enron CEO was

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Scamacca to west ham looks to be a done deal. I’m glad Inter or Juve didn’t get him; hope he does well.

https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1550556210671325184?s=21&t=gusH9rhpvl8cbHaQ7vKvkQ

I have no idea what West ham play like but if they have a decent number ten and a decent winger on either side he should be getting double digit goals. I think of all the top strikers in Serie A he may be the most suited to the premiere league.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Gigi Galli posted:

I have no idea what West ham play like but if they have a decent number ten and a decent winger on either side he should be getting double digit goals. I think of all the top strikers in Serie A he may be the most suited to the premiere league.

We do a lot of counter attacking with set pieces as a second tactic. Either Antonio holds the ball up and waits for the wingers to run past him for the counter or Cresswell/Bowen knocks in a really good cross. Either way I think it’s a good fit

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

We do a lot of counter attacking with set pieces as a second tactic. Either Antonio holds the ball up and waits for the wingers to run past him for the counter or Cresswell/Bowen knocks in a really good cross. Either way I think it’s a good fit

On the other hand, and with great cosmic irony, every striker the Dildo brothers buy turns out to be a flop

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

It's looking like Filip Kostic could be on his way to whip in even more good crosses from the left too, I'm booming and I'm ready to bust when we get annihilated by Haaland on the first day of the season

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bold it

https://twitter.com/arsenal/status/1550526088190861313

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Spelling it Alex seems really weird to me, never seen it like that for him

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

pik_d posted:

Spelling it Alex seems really weird to me, never seen it like that for him

I've always seen it as Oleg but turns out he spells it as Alex on his insta

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Bogan Krkic posted:

I've always seen it as Oleg but turns out he spells it as Alex on his insta

Oleks, but yeah his instagram and website both have Alex.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

quote:

The transfer is subject to the completion of regulatory processes.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Article includes a picture of him signing a thing in an Arsenal shirt, it passes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I see how it is!!