Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I guess that's why I've gone through so many tires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Currently I just press both brakes at the same time on a... Gradient of pressure? Slow then work up to harder. Not sure how else to describe it

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Currently I just press both brakes at the same time on a... Gradient of pressure? Slow then work up to harder. Not sure how else to describe it

Perfect. Same pressure on both will naturally lead to more braking force from the front tire, which is perfectly good.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It is called modulation and you are probably doing good.

There are a bunch of bikes with grabby v brakes that take a little more practice to modulate, but those are the only things that should accidentally throw somebody who isn't paying attention over the bars.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 20, 2022

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
front brake the good brake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQwp5zeJEQo&t=1035s

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Post the bike, OP.

It's this one:

Pictured here with with gravel kings on the wheels that came with it (more or less, the rear one cracked and I replaced it).

And like this for the road with some cheap-ish secondhand deep wheels, except I don't run the aerobars anymore because I didn't spend much time in them anyway.

Back in late summer of 2018 I picked it up plus shoes, the tool kit, rollers, spare flat pedals, a helmet, gloves, and a jersey for $600 from a buddy. Probably one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Wish I knew what brand it was though, they should probably put it on the bike somewhere.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Wish I knew what brand it was though, they should probably put it on the bike somewhere.

Got me here for a sec...

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Braking like all things takes practice and leaving your comfort zone in small increments. I use the rear brake alone for very slight changes in speed, like when I want to maintain my position in a paceline. A little contrary to Kimbo’s reply I use a a lot more hand force on my front brake when I want to stop. Using equal force would likely skid my rear tire. Brake bias changes in different environments. When going as fast as possible through a turn/corner on a descent, I continue to feather my brakes until I hit the apex. In dry conditions this is done with both brakes, with slightly more bias to the rear. In wetter conditions, I do all my front braking before turn-in.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

TobinHatesYou posted:

A little contrary to Kimbo’s reply I use a a lot more hand force on my front brake when I want to stop. Using equal force would likely skid my rear tire. Brake bias changes in different environments.

I concede -- you will definitely lock up the rear before the front if you put the same force into the brake pads (thus roughly the same force on the levers).
In hard braking situations, you have to deeper on just the front brake where your threshold for locking up is much higher.

As a matter of habit though, I always start moderate, planned braking by rolling into both levers the same amount.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
I uh started getting into maybe riding faster hard better stronger lol and and am doing a training program to faster (lol).

My current road kit is a bunch of 7mesh jerseys that I got on sale from REI which I adore, but I realized I'm close to wearing out my ancient Pearl Izumi (7+ year old college riding days) bike shorts. I want to buy the latest MAAP/PNS bibs but still cant fathom paying that much cash for bibs. I'm probably going to buy some 7mesh cargo bibs but does anybody else have bib recommendations?

Pedalmafia has a store near me so might take a look at them but also don't want to blow bike part budget on stupid shiny clothes I'll inevitably bleed into.

Apr 7, 2003

adnam posted:

I uh started getting into maybe riding faster hard better stronger lol and and am doing a training program to faster (lol).

My current road kit is a bunch of 7mesh jerseys that I got on sale from REI which I adore, but I realized I'm close to wearing out my ancient Pearl Izumi (7+ year old college riding days) bike shorts. I want to buy the latest MAAP/PNS bibs but still cant fathom paying that much cash for bibs. I'm probably going to buy some 7mesh cargo bibs but does anybody else have bib recommendations?

Pedalmafia has a store near me so might take a look at them but also don't want to blow bike part budget on stupid shiny clothes I'll inevitably bleed into.

https://theblackbibs.com/

My wife hates them because she thinks the pad is too hard, ymmv, but I think they're perfectly fine. They don't seem as durable as my Pearl Izumi stuff but they're at least as good as the Garneau stuff my LBS sold me.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

adnam posted:

Buy once, cry once. Get some Assos on clearance imo

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
DHB Aeron / Lab bibs are very good value if you don't mind mail order from Wiggle.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I love Santini. Buy once, cry once indeed.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

adnam posted:

Pedal Mafia is just hyped up poo poo-tier stuff.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I did this and don’t regret it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Bought my first Assos a couple weeks ago this way

They are good and better than my pearl izumi and sugoi bibs

Apr 7, 2003

I refuse to believe that there are cycling rear end covers called Assos, sorry.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Which Assos did you all get? I'm not such a huge fan of mine, the straps are quite hard and scratchy, but they weren't their top end ones.

My favourite bibs are some Rapha Classics I got on sale a few years ago, the material is the smoothest I've ever felt and the pad is really comfortable. I'll definitely cry when they go given the current prices.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

sweat poteto posted:

DHB Aeron / Lab bibs are very good value if you don't mind mail order from Wiggle.

Best value, especially with the strength of the dollar right now.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
KEEP FIRING ASSOS

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
What's a good brand of jersey? Or do people just wear whatever? Looking for something obnoxiously colored and cool because it's so unbelievably hot lately.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hutzpah posted:

What's a good brand of jersey? Or do people just wear whatever? Looking for something obnoxiously colored and cool because it's so unbelievably hot lately.

Ostroy probably has the most obnoxiously loud jerseys right now

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Love it when the council puts in some very user-friendly new cycle infrastructure!

https://twitter.com/CharlieTanfield/status/1550439309739790337

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Vando posted:

Love it when the council puts in some very user-friendly new cycle infrastructure!

https://twitter.com/CharlieTanfield/status/1550439309739790337

Still better than this https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x89tmbs

He doesn't get to the bit where you can't even ride on the road any more because the tram tracks are too close to the kerb.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

e.pilot posted:

KEEP FIRING ASSOS

Beat me to it, dammit! If I dropped some money on these, I guess my butt would be surprised at how much I'd spent, and once it realized how comfortable it was, it'd say, "I knew it; I'm surrounded by Assos!"

As for kit, Ostroy has been mentioned already. They are blowing up my Facebook news feed, and have been for a while. Once Facebook got wind that I once thought about a bicycle, that's been the focus of my ad experience. I like the look of the Ostroy stuff because they're original, pretty, and not a reproduction of some racing kit that I don't recognize because I'm not into racing. I've been thinking about getting one of their jerseys.

Personally, the fanciest shorts I own are the Pearl Izumi ones that have been mentioned; I got them at a cycle shop. But, I also have some Santic and Baleaf that I got from Amazon. As I'm a weekend rider, these have been adequate for me, and they're inexpensive. They're good for getting into spandex for the first time, if you're not sure you'll like it--which I wasn't when I bought my first kit. I'm the cheapest-looking dude on the MUP, and I'm fine with that. Hell, I'm riding an Escape until my new bike comes in; cheap is my whole vibe.

Then again, someone shared The Black Shorts or whatever, and those looked cool--I love simple designs. There's a price gap between their Shorts and Shorts Plus, and I'm not clear what it is; do the regular shorts not have silicone grippers at the leg opening?

I'm heading out on vacation for the next week; the Tour de' North Carolina. My bike's delivery date has been pushed back slowly since I put the deposit down, which I was fully expecting. What are the odds that as soon as I'm out-of-state, I get the call that it's ready for me to come in and get all fitted up?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I have a pair of Assos T.milleShorts_s7 and a pair of MILLE GT SUMMER GTO C2 (yes I know) and both own but beware I had to have the latter repaired recently after not even a year of use (which assos luckily do, but the shop from which I bought them did have to ship them out to switzerland). it seems good after repair though

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

e.pilot posted:

KEEP FIRING ASSOS

I'M SURROUNDED BY ASSOS!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

tarlibone posted:

I like the look of the Ostroy stuff because they're original

https://www.reddit.com/r/CyclingFashion/comments/i863hh/ostroy_stealing_shutterstock_images/

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Jersey quality matters way less than bibs, so just get whatever looks like what you want and try it out

The really cheap junk will still kinda suck and won't last very long but won't ruin a ride like junk bibs

My recent goto jersey has been the pearl izumi elite escape, which can be found for like $50 on sale. Probably doesn't come loud enough though.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 22, 2022

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Amazon has a magical selection of obnoxious cheap Chinese jerseys with some wild probably stolen designs

I'm pretty sure this is somebody's stolen furry art

That stupid loving cat

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Need this one on a Jersey

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If you can fit in an XS jersey there’s always some on clearance for cheap

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Thinking about converting to tubeless suspension:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Dog Case posted:

That stupid loving cat

Link please.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

wooger posted:

Link please.

https://a.co/75J3nIF

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Horrific

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I don’t choose kits, kits choose me.

I fit Castelli, Ornot, Attaquer and Eliel small tops and small bottoms. I size up to medium in heavy thermal bibtights.

I fit Assos small bibs.

Rapha tops are far too short.

Velocio small “race fit” jerseys are like club fit to me. Velocio small bibs are on the verge of cutting off circulation to my entire lower body.

Bioracer’s regular kits make no f-ing sense fitwise, but the speedsuit is :discourse:

I swear Black Sheep’s fit changes every season.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Thinking about converting to tubeless suspension:

I bet this makes a great noise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TobinHatesYou posted:

I don’t choose kits, kits choose me.

I fit Castelli, Ornot, Attaquer and Eliel small tops and small bottoms. I size up to medium in heavy thermal bibtights.

I fit Assos small bibs.

Rapha tops are far too short.

Velocio small “race fit” jerseys are like club fit to me. Velocio small bibs are on the verge of cutting off circulation to my entire lower body.

Bioracer’s regular kits make no f-ing sense fitwise, but the speedsuit is :discourse:

I swear Black Sheep’s fit changes every season.

Black Sheep have moved their construction to a different factory since they partnered with Wiggle to sell much higher volumes. In theory this will make it more uniform as they move forwards.

Best skinsuit i've ever owned was the cheapest one Halo do I got for my team kit.

We need another trash kit run.