Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aedaxus
Feb 3, 2019

Micromancer posted:

someone please make a GSF alt corp that uses SAJ4G as the ticker for the influx of new talent

I can make one, but what should be the corp name? Goose Flock? Old Goons? Space Geriatrics?
Not sure if referencing the groomswarm website will be okay...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Recoome posted:

The Marmite Collective sends their regards

Who?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Good Dumplings posted:

It doesn't, but the point of it is to establish networking connections with potential out-of-game supporters and other media outlets. Given the softball PC Gamer article that calls the entire highly-documented incident "allegations", these media projects did their actual job very well.

To be fair, media outlets in the US call anything not proven in a court of law an "allegation".

For example, "The alleged gunman confessed to police at the scene of the blood-drenched massacre that he, quote, "Decided he had to do something about 'those people'", unquote. Now back to Jaimie for the latest sports scores."

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Jazzzzz posted:

contrary to popular belief California isn't the entirety of the west

I'm not trying to stalk you dude I'm just trying to figure out if you came across some actual affordable real estate in WA/OR/MT/WY or something because I'd like to get the gently caress out of this midwestern shithole

I looked, ain't poo poo cheap except in maybe bfe Oregon and then I'm an hour + from the store plus outsized influence from moving Californians loving up the laws. And I know you aren't trying to stalk me because youd know my address or something if you were. I moved back east back homeward, you have the rough general location.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Ynglaur posted:

That... Looks pretty good. As you say: muck with the numbers. But the system itself is intuitive to grasp but probably hard to master.

i am a game dev at heart

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Ynglaur posted:

To be fair, media outlets in the US call anything not proven in a court of law an "allegation".
."
Yeah, doing otherwise is one of the few ways to lose a libel/slander case in the us.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

Yeah, doing otherwise is one of the few ways to lose a libel/slander case in the us.

And Alex would absolutely kick up a fuss if they didn’t used the proper terms.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Citizen Rat posted:

It would be nice if media outlets could stop (unwittingly or otherwise) being a propaganda piece for his bullshit

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Citizen Rat posted:

you told me to shoo you out of thread, shoo

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Reminder that goosefleet is a rapidly becoming a thing, details first page. Hole squad part ducks.

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

You're asking me to believe in sentient meat.

hailthefish posted:

Prencleeve Grothsmore or whatever? Hell if I know.

I did some digging when I came back because I remember being very worried for this very unwell individual and I found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/evedreddit/comments/s2z52/looks_like_prencleeve_grothsmore_is_biomassing/c4auc7x/

quote:

He got doxed, and a goon called him to his cellphone, told him to stop being an annoying gently caress and threatened to call his parents, grandmother and other family. Kid said he didn't want to "cause drama in his family" (read: "omg my parents will smack me so hard if they know I'm being such an idiot") and quit.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Herstory Begins Now posted:

whatever happened to that insane kid who registered like 15 accounts trying to get into gsf

i assume he eventually was made a director or something?

You mean the guy who used to multibox like an entire fleet by himself? Mostly Dominix-es iirc. What was that dude’s name.

That guy was not Prencleeve(sp?)

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

twigplant posted:

I did some digging when I came back because I remember being very worried for this very unwell individual and I found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/evedreddit/comments/s2z52/looks_like_prencleeve_grothsmore_is_biomassing/c4auc7x/

It went further than that.

The little idiot (yes, it was Preencleve Grothsmore) registered a website for the purposes of "hunting the goons" after he got knocked back by waffe and laughed at by Mittens (after convincing him to post a few embarrassing videos of him doing/singing dumb poo poo - they're all gone/private now though).
He used his real name, and his dad's credit card details. :psyduck:

Some goons who understood that google exists were able to track down his school, his home, his home phone number, his dad's place of business, etc.

They then called him, his house, his grandmother/mother, and made sure his parents (specifically his father) were aware of his spending habits.
They also sent a pizza, just to round it out.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
that's one way to frame "goons doxed a kid because he was annoying"

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Frank Frank posted:

You mean the guy who used to multibox like an entire fleet by himself? Mostly Dominix-es iirc. What was that dude’s name.

That guy was not Prencleeve(sp?)

The guy you're talking about is not who they're talking about, but you're talking about Zek Khromtar except I don't remember how to spell it.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

ssb posted:

The guy you're talking about is not who they're talking about, but you're talking about Zek Khromtar except I don't remember how to spell it.

That’s correct - coupled with Hesh pulling “Hrin” out of thin air the other day, ya’ll have some amazing memories.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

mcjomar posted:

It went further than that.

The little idiot (yes, it was Preencleve Grothsmore) registered a website for the purposes of "hunting the goons" after he got knocked back by waffe and laughed at by Mittens (after convincing him to post a few embarrassing videos of him doing/singing dumb poo poo - they're all gone/private now though).
He used his real name, and his dad's credit card details. :psyduck:

Some goons who understood that google exists were able to track down his school, his home, his home phone number, his dad's place of business, etc.

They then called him, his house, his grandmother/mother, and made sure his parents (specifically his father) were aware of his spending habits.
They also sent a pizza, just to round it out.

doxxed a kid that made a game website after coercing him to post embarrassing videos online

sick!!!

wait, are for real?

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

i actually didn't know 95% of this stuff before joining gsf in game. making me rethink playing eve at all because it seems this game attracts psychopaths (and I'm 100% sure that behavior isn't limited to goons)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Being able to get hold of a credit card number he had used and his real name screams of a highly illegal to me.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I suspect the intent of contacting the family was more "hey did you know your kid is spending hundreds of dollars on begging for the attention of random strangers who are not very nice, and maybe also talk to him about being safe online" than threats/harassment but after the last thread I wouldn't put anything past anyone at this point.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Celexi posted:

doxxed a kid that made a game website after coercing him to post embarrassing videos online

sick!!!

wait, are for real?

Yes, this legit happened - I watched it burn down on the GSF forums at the time (a day late, as usual - it was all over bar the kid biomassing his characters and severing his accounts).
I can't remember which D-name poster actually did the deed though.
Feels like a Digi-level event, but I'm sure someone with better memory can correct my dumb rear end.

For the record, the kid doxxed himself (which is damned easy to do, given that google exists, and there are a number of places that are available to the public to get this sort of info from).
In this case, as I said, the kid registered the site with his real life info and dad's credit card details (most folks use fake info, or pay to have the info hidden from general view, but this kid was too young/dumb to do it).
It's scary how easy this guy found the kid and his personal info.

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
Alex tried to doxx me back in 2010 or so but the only thing he could turn up was that I'd been a pizza delivery guy like a decade before? And then hurled that at me like it was going to utterly devastate me or something?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

WorkerThread posted:

i actually didn't know 95% of this stuff before joining gsf in game. making me rethink playing eve at all because it seems this game attracts psychopaths (and I'm 100% sure that behavior isn't limited to goons)

Yeh so having has friends in multiple alliances and corps going as far back as Mo0, BoB, MC, -LV- I’m 100% sure that particular behaviour is limited to goons. Like holy poo poo, ok pirates did cruel stuff when ransoming ships in character and people would get spie on team speak/corps/forums, but the point was to sit there quietly and take notes. All this gathering evidence for blackmail in game and real life just isn’t normal.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Immorality aside that kid was a loving dick

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

Being able to get hold of a credit card number he had used and his real name screams of a highly illegal to me.

Technically, this sort of info can be easy to find if you're too dumb to properly hide it (or, y'know, a small kid).
In this case when registering a website, you have to provide a number of pieces of personal info. Most people are able to have that info hidden from the various sites that you can look at to see who registered what domain name when.
Apparently Preencleve didn't, which opened him up to a number of phone calls, and a free pizza (honestly kinda tame compared to what we've seen recently...).

In the UK, you can also find similar stuff by checking if someone has registered their company via "Company House", because when registering a company, you have to hand over all sorts of information, and many people who are self-employed will end up using their home address and other personal details. All of this is a google away. So when I say this poo poo is scary, I'm really not kidding.

E: And to address the original point, yes this info is technically legal, and it's officially provided and available unless people pay extra to hide it. The smart ones do, many don't. Of course among those who don't are things like scam sites who will use fake, fraudulent, or stolen information while registering a scam site, so that they are never actually hit for what they've done, and some other poor bastard takes the blame.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Aedaxus posted:

I can make one, but what should be the corp name? Goose Flock? Old Goons? Space Geriatrics?
Not sure if referencing the groomswarm website will be okay...

Its going to take a while for the info to get out to the wider audience about the separation, having their fyad intro thread reward them with permanent marking is just lol to me :shrug:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

learnincurve posted:

Reminder that goosefleet is a rapidly becoming a thing, details first page. Hole squad part ducks.

no, geese. sheesh.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
geesefloot

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

Immorality aside that kid was a loving dick

I mean... kinda, yeah - he was arrogant/cocky af, and a totally pretentious douchebag.
So, basically, a typical nerdy teenager from the "upper middle class" of the english towns.

Honestly, I feel like things would have been much worse if he HAD been allowed into waffe/GSF.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The preencleeve story has been round a game of telephone because it's not as bad as y'all think from the goon side.
He wasn't forced to upload any videos at all, he had a YT and blog before he tried to join goons then posted some "i have a way in" or something video, followed by "i was scammed now i am MAD" posts.
He then made unhinged posts about the Mittani just about everywhere and would call him ALEX as though his name was secret and generally acted like an incredible creep - and spammed SA accounts and eve accounts with a stolen (his grandmothers) credit card to post his 'doxx revelations' everywhere.
He was very unhinged and was fully prepared to spend money she didn't have to buy plex to destroy goons, or whatever dumb plan it was.

As far as I recall, the end to this saga was Blawf McTaggart calling the number off WhoIS he registered the site under, getting hold of his grandmother (his guardian I believe) and carefully explaining he was doing things online that could backfire on him.

I only remember this story because the kid lives in my town and sometime later, having turned his life around, got honoured by our mayor at some young-person's community award event.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Cease to Hope posted:

nobody posted his information and yeah blawrf talked to his grandma

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Hesh Ballantine posted:

Alex tried to doxx me back in 2010 or so but the only thing he could turn up was that I'd been a pizza delivery guy like a decade before? And then hurled that at me like it was going to utterly devastate me or something?

how dare u be a kid with a lovely job hesh "heshy" ballantine if that even is your real name

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Celexi posted:

sick!!!

wait, are for real?

It's so weird looking back at how much internet detective bullshit was acceptable; stuff like alias777 was considered harmless when now it'd definitely warrant a permaban here and probably charges pressed for cyberstalking. It changed for a good reason, but drat does it feel sudden in retrospect.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I helped Precleve “scam” one of his own accounts when he was trying to prove he was goon material and made off with about 5b in dread hulls and skill books.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

The preencleeve story has been round a game of telephone because it's not as bad as y'all think from the goon side.
He wasn't forced to upload any videos at all, he had a YT and blog before he tried to join goons then posted some "i have a way in" or something video, followed by "i was scammed now i am MAD" posts.
He then made unhinged posts about the Mittani just about everywhere and would call him ALEX as though his name was secret and generally acted like an incredible creep - and spammed SA accounts and eve accounts with a stolen (his grandmothers) credit card to post his 'doxx revelations' everywhere.
He was very unhinged and was fully prepared to spend money she didn't have to buy plex to destroy goons, or whatever dumb plan it was.

As far as I recall, the end to this saga was Blawf McTaggart calling the number off WhoIS he registered the site under, getting hold of his grandmother (his guardian I believe) and carefully explaining he was doing things online that could backfire on him.

I only remember this story because the kid lives in my town and sometime later, having turned his life around, got honoured by our mayor at some young-person's community award event.

:cripes: I could have sworn it was Digi.
But most of this makes more sense overall - especially Blawf being the one to make the call (I remember him being a good poster).
I do remember him (Preencleve) posting some cringe as gently caress singing videos though as some sort of proof or whatever for him to join (they were hastily deleted/privated on YT though).

Glad he unfucked his life though - at least his story has a better ending :unsmith:

Goldsnake
Apr 9, 2015

You would have thought the bonus room debacle would have made them go "Oh, maybe this harassment and grooming stuff should be taken seriously." Nah, just sweep it under the rug.

Goldsnake
Apr 9, 2015

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

gently caress California

Come buy a mountain in Idaho, still untainted by californians and good hunting along with the beautiful land.. and potatoes..

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Buy a mountain in Navaho County AZ for $1000 an acre.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Goldsnake posted:

Come buy a mountain in Idaho, still untainted by californians and good hunting along with the beautiful land.. and potatoes..

i looked, nothing i wanted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

BigPaddy posted:

Buy a mountain in Navaho County AZ for $1000 an acre.

Good luck getting any water there in the next couple of years :laugh: