Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

BrotherJayne posted:

When the innies are doing their OTC runabout, does it keep the innie focal length on the cameras? Will give it a rewatch tomorrow
yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'd rather be waterboarded than go through the "apology sincerity" routine. At least that is someone against me. The apology torture is trying to turn me against me and nobody makes me hate myself but me.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I bet the fake apology thing wouldn’t be that hard to nail in reality. People routinely persuade themselves to believe hosed up things.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i believe the implication is that they always know if you're faking, so you literally have to keep doing it until you mean it

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Vegetable posted:

I bet the fake apology thing wouldn’t be that hard to nail in reality. People routinely persuade themselves to believe hosed up things.

Yup, it's def some scientology style poo poo

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What got me about the Letter is the part where it implies someone's innie was tortured by waterboarding.

The idea that they can just do anything to them when they're inside as long as they don't leave a mark (or cause a pregnancy) is horrifying.

I hope that isn't something the series introduces. The thing about discipline inside or the break room that I noticed is that nobody is really forced to go anywhere or do anything. Everyone follows directions and does what they're told, so it brings in this element that it's still all voluntary on the part of the innies.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Lister posted:

I hope that isn't something the series introduces. The thing about discipline inside or the break room that I noticed is that nobody is really forced to go anywhere or do anything. Everyone follows directions and does what they're told, so it brings in this element that it's still all voluntary on the part of the innies.

seriously though, think through what their options are

there is no escape so even if you refuse to go into the break room what are you gonna do? stay in the hall forever? they could make your life hell just by refusing to give you anything to do or anyone to talk to

it reminds me of a time I was punished as a kid and I refused it because I thought it was bullshit

my dad wasn't going to beat me or physically force me to do anything, but he was able to take away every privilege I had and he kept me from doing anything enjoyable while slowly increasing the amount of punishment I had to go through to get out of trouble

I held out for a week before caving because my only other option was hoping my dad would cave

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Yea the real hosed up part is if they don’t go along with it they’d have nothing to do. The outtie wouldn’t notice but it would eventually drive the innies fuckin insane and they’d turn into a potato like anyone else utterly deprived of meaningful social interaction

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Wedge Regret
Ricken's friends are weird because he is.

Weird dude, Weird friends.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

BrotherJayne posted:

Oh poo poo, it's almost Tuesday

please!

Can I still get in on this?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
as far as the helly/helena thing - i didn't figure it out on my own, but i was in the thread episode to episode so it was 'in my mind' - but regardless, i didn't CARE that i expected it, because it isn't central to why severance s1 was such a success. it was extremely well written and acted across the board, that's why it is good. although i don't think anybody guessed ms casey was mark's wife, that one at least got me gasping.

i hope, and expect, that the writers who wrote s1 aren't so dumb to think they need to start going down a rabbit hole of ever more contorted twists to keep the suspense going. the suspense wasn't there because of the final twists in the tale, those just serve as new wrinkles for a cast of characters we grew to care about in a very hosed up situation.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It's less about the twist and more about where that twist will take the show. Like if it was revealed that Cobel was one of the original severed people, and has no memory of their previous life... I could see that coming, but if they don't do anything with it then what's the point.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
well yeah, you're talking about the difference between twists when the writers have a plan and when they don't. when they don't, it's usually bad unless they get very creative quickly.

the ms casey thing works because it has seeds all over the season and will have big ramifications for both mark and ms casey later, most of which we're yet to see. the helly/helena thing is more superficial, like it doesn't really change that much, but i trust that the writers know where they're going on this. i am just hoping they don't widen the scope TOO much, as i've said before.

now if they start throwing in stuff like mark s isn't actually mark s, he was a whole different guy before even that, then we'll have a problem, but i just don't think bad twists are a thing to really worry about in this show yet. all the twists have been good.

like the only thing that didn't really work for me across 9 whole hours was irving's real personality. not because it's bad, it's just a little bit boring to watch play out, but even there the whole idea of trying to subliminally force a message through to your own mind is a pretty cool idea.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Helly/Helena thing doesn't seem superficial to me at all. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are saying.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i didn't mean to single it out as bad/superficial, i was just saying it's a twist the casual viewer could pick up on and be 'blown away' by. it's obviously got implications for the story but i don't think it really has deep implications for helly or mark, the only two people it will really effect, they'll just get over it and move on in s2. helly will be hosed up about it for like 1 hour and then move on. that's what i meant by superficial, in the sense it won't really gently caress with our mains that much really.

the ms casey thing is gonna play out alot more over probably the entire season, we've barely seen her be aware, and it's going to totally rock mark's budding relationship with helly along with his very fragile sense of self. that's a much bigger deal, character wise.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

your speculating and then assuming its true

just chill and wait for s2 to play out. at least wait for the first ep to air lol

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

your speculating and then assuming its true

just chill and wait for s2 to play out. at least wait for the first ep to air lol

It's ok if people post their thoughts about the show in this thread for posting thoughts about the show.

I like reading their posts even if they might be wrong.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

we got a long wait ahead of us

https://twitter.com/ATVPlusNews/status/1548000186747592707

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Oh, it said film from October to May.

:(

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

drat that means probably late 2023 at the earliest.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

7 months of filming seems like a lot?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Hobo Clown posted:

7 months of filming seems like a lot?

season one filmed over the course of nine months, so this is in fact an upgrade

the renewal coming in so late probably hurt the most for starting filming, would have been nice to start guaranteeing the cast's availability before April

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah that was my thought, it wasn’t officially renewed until super late in the run so figuring out stuff around the actors schedules (which probably started filling up once it became clear the show was a hit) was probably a nightmare.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

At least I know I'll be in for a great surprise in a year and a half after I've forgotten this show still exists.

Isn't there a Party Down revival in the works too? I'm all in on limited Adam Scott series.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
It does feel like a lot considering the show is mostly a few sets without lots of complicated designs or major changes/action. But what do I know about production.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The first season was filmed with all Covid protocols in place so it was slowed down. Hopefully those don’t come back just in time for s2.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

TraderStav posted:

It does feel like a lot considering the show is mostly a few sets without lots of complicated designs or major changes/action. But what do I know about production.
there's bound to be a status quo change after the events of the Season 1 finale, maybe the second season is filmed on location on the moon

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
And by the time everything's shot, Ben Stiller's being held up by some movie project and has no time for editing.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Nuts and Gum posted:

The first season was filmed with all Covid protocols in place so it was slowed down. Hopefully those don’t come back just in time for s2.

Covid protocol for production hasn't changed at all in my neck of the woods. Full masks and regular cadence testing depending on which zone you're in. Same as we were doing when we ramped back up mid/late 2020.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Covid protocol for production hasn't changed at all in my neck of the woods. Full masks and regular cadence testing depending on which zone you're in. Same as we were doing when we ramped back up mid/late 2020.

Yeah I auditioned for a gameshow recently and they said production would be full masks at all times for anyone not on screen, no leaving the hotel room after the day's filming and daily testing.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

TraderStav posted:

That is closer to standard for full hour productions, especially when you consider the two-three week holiday break, but still very generous. I've worked on a Stiller project and he's pretty meticulous.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
If anyone's at/near the San Diego Comic-Con:

https://gizmodo.com/severance-comic-con-activation-adam-scott-apple-tv-plus-1849269554 posted:

San Diego Comic-Con can be a very trying experience. So what better way to deal with it than to sever your memory of it from the rest of your well-being? Thankfully you can do just that, hypothetically of course, at Apple TV+’s Severance activation located at the Hard Rock Hotel in San Diego, CA.

There, the streamer has converted a massive ballroom into Lumon Industries, the company from the hit TV show Severance starring Adam Scott. You go in and basically go through an entire first day at the company, complete with your brain being severed in two so your “innie” personality is at work and your “outie” personality can live on its own.

edit: I can't deal with Gizmodo's URLs on mobile so just go there and check out the photos, it's pretty great!

Trabant fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 22, 2022

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I feel like not having the experience be walking through a door / walking back out a door is a missed opportunity.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Trabant posted:

edit: I can't deal with Gizmodo's URLs on mobile so just go there and check out the photos, it's pretty great!

wow that was way more elaborate than I expected

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

KPC_Mammon posted:

I feel like not having the experience be walking through a door / walking back out a door is a missed opportunity.

Yeah they didn't have to build the Lumon floor at all! They could just send you up an elevator, program it so it does some weird thing and then comes back down. "Congratulations! You've just completed your first day of work!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yeah they didn't have to build the Lumon floor at all! They could just send you up an elevator, program it so it does some weird thing and then comes back down. "Congratulations! You've just completed your first day of work!"

Don't forget to also have a clock visible from inside the elevator so that it changes from 9am to 5pm and then they tell you to have a nice evening and send you out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They had a panel at SDCC as well, the most notable things said were that the goats are relevant to things and that season 2 is mostly going to focus on the outside world and the public attitude towards severance.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm watching through again, and I really want to see more about what the testing floor is. What are they doing with Ms Casey down there. Are the four tempers part time innies? Who are the people who never leave?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Trabant posted:

I forgot to try and get a slot yesterday, and this morning I was up at 6:30 and didn't manage to snag a slot, and the standby line is already full

I'm doubting it's possible at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Buff Hardback posted:

I forgot to try and get a slot yesterday, and this morning I was up at 6:30 and didn't manage to snag a slot, and the standby line is already full

I'm doubting it's possible at this point

I tried again today: was up at 5:30 ready to go.

Got to the page at 6:00, tried to book 9:30 as I’m leaving today early in the day, “all booked up”

Saw that 10am was available, couldn’t tap it, refreshed the page, the only available ones were 3p and 4p

I ended up doing the math, given that the experience actors are tweeting about it, I think they’ve only got one show path and it’s groups of 20-30 at 14 groups a day, they can only squeeze 1600 people through the experience all weekend