Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

I think a massive inland sea would be rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That's what the Great Lakes are.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Quorum posted:

You know what they say: as goes Slaverb, so goes the nation.

ah yes the Slaverb proverb

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Out of countryers all seem to be super disappointed when you tell them, no, you cant swim across lake superior

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

SlothfulCobra posted:

Do they have a Central Trankland Isle?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Out of countryers all seem to be super disappointed when you tell them, no, you cant swim across lake superior

Why would any American tell a foreigner this??

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

pik_d posted:

Found one

Too bad the authors eventually got lazy with places like "Wyoming"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

steinrokkan posted:

Too bad the authors eventually got lazy with places like "Wyoming"

That’s just some valley in Pennsylvania.

Why the hell would you apply it to a state out west?

“Idaho”? I’m pretty sure that that’s fabricated from whole cloth.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

SlothfulCobra posted:

They're not labeled on that map but I can only assume they're now just the Good Lakes with Lake Doramos there

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Why would any American tell a foreigner this??

I don't want to be an accessory to suicide

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

x

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Most of the climate in spain is terribad, but turist only experience the one in the coast that is mediterranean.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
As an english person I was sort of drawn towards somewhere on the west coast like southern(?) oregon. Not that I know anything about it really just picking a spot on the map.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Removed as spam!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Jippa posted:

As an english person I was sort of drawn towards somewhere on the west coast like southern(?) oregon. Not that I know anything about it really just picking a spot on the map.

It used to be meth land now it’s unlicensed marijuana farms controlled by drug cartels. And also meth land.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Louisana immigrants represent

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Massachusetts Bay will be a warm climate for our new Zion :)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I was born just west of Tripoli, where it regularly hits +40c in the summer days and regularly hits -20c in the winter nights. Ah, the balmy mediterranean sea.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Moses parting Florida from the rest of the continent gif

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I was born just west of Tripoli, where it regularly hits +40c in the summer days and regularly hits -20c in the winter nights. Ah, the balmy mediterranean sea.

I'm just inland of San Francisco, and I'd honestly love some -20c winter nights to balance out the 40c summer days.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps/status/1550606918091161600

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mean you have to have soil and biomatter/water to keep the temps from fluctuating like that. Perhaps this is something you can work on :D

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Chicago was Constantinople
Now it's Chicago, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Why did Constantinople get repairs?
That's nobody's business but DA BEARS

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Minor League baseball is endlessly fascinating

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

America has definitely both declared wars on birds and won them.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The United States's campaign against passenger pigeons wasn't a war, it was a massacre. I call it avicide. How did they even manage to wipe out a species that had been so abundant just decades earlier

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Who Dat!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Imagine looking at a continent of literally Home Town Football Club and thinking that is better than this

If we count exterminations of birds then USA, Aotearoa, and the Porto-Dutch Pact have decisively carried the Bird Wars for the loser countries. Humans: 1 Birds: 0

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 23, 2022

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

These maps are always interesting to me. For example, I'm surprised Hawaii's percentage is relatively low. Obviously they get plenty of tourists, but I didn't know they received that much internal migration from other states as well. Do people go there to retire, like they do with Florida?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

ulmont posted:

Who Dat!

Statistically, they are people who were born in the state

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Well, this is a hell of a way to learn that the Grand Prairie AirHogs folded.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

These maps are always interesting to me. For example, I'm surprised Hawaii's percentage is relatively low. Obviously they get plenty of tourists, but I didn't know they received that much internal migration from other states as well. Do people go there to retire, like they do with Florida?

I think it's a mix between people going there because it's a pretty attractive destination, but also the people who were born in the state leaving for other parts. And I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people born in Hawaii end up leaving to pursue a career or education, since the island would have pretty limited possibilities. It also might be one of the cheaper places for Asian and Pacific immigrants to get to, which is why it already has such a large Japanese community.

The only one I really know what's going on is Arizona, since it's gone through such an explosion of population growth in the last few decades. Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia might just be passing their population around between themselves. I guess DC is also a city, where naturally populations of cities tend to leave or bring in people from afar, even if it's just moving from the city proper to suburbs.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I lived in Nevada for months for work once and I met a grand total of two people who were born there.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Phlegmish posted:

There's that, and there's also quite a large military population in a state with a relatively small population to begin with. Military and Federal workers (as well as contractors) are also a big reason why the states around DC stand out so much, along with there being a big metro area that straddles state lines.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think it's a mix between people going there because it's a pretty attractive destination, but also the people who were born in the state leaving for other parts. And I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people born in Hawaii end up leaving to pursue a career or education, since the island would have pretty limited possibilities. It also might be one of the cheaper places for Asian and Pacific immigrants to get to, which is why it already has such a large Japanese community.

The only one I really know what's going on is Arizona, since it's gone through such an explosion of population growth in the last few decades. Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia might just be passing their population around between themselves. I guess DC is also a city, where naturally populations of cities tend to leave or bring in people from afar, even if it's just moving from the city proper to suburbs.

In what world is Hawaii a cheap destination? The japanese population is largely there from a long time ago. There's vastly easier and cheaper flights to get from Asia to LA, say, than to get to Hawaii. And once you get there, it's the most expensive state by a ludicrous margin. And largely without the benefits of higher wages to compensate. Living in Hawaii is tough.

Goes without saying the struggle largely hits native hawaiians. But you'll still face insane prices as White WhiteWhite Beauregard Stanford III if you want it to be your sunbelt retirement destination.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 23, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I dunno about price but a ton of Japanese people go to Hawaii on vacation.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

I dunno about price but a ton of Japanese people go to Hawaii on vacation.

I don't think tourists count for who lives where, otherwise I also lived in Hawaii once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't think tourists count for who lives where, otherwise I also lived in Hawaii once

Am I supposed to read posts before I reply to them? :drat: