Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Suppose the fbi arrested bannon, Giuliani, flynn, stone, and maybe a few other pardon-seekers (specifically focusing on people that have sworn a public oath to the constituition), seized all of their digital machines, and interrogated each of them about their correspondences on jan6.

Then they do the feds do since it's illegal to lie to them, and they work each against the other and Crack em open

I mean, hypothetically

E: I don't think arrogance, ego and pride are sufficient for explaining his refusal to call off the mob or promise an orderly transition. He was under enormous pressure, sometimes expert wranglers, sometimes careful guidance, but it was a torrent. He had to have ongoing encouragement (be it from co-conspirators encouraging follow through, or agents exerting leverage) from outside parties to resist that.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I feel like Meadows can be added to that pile. It seems increasingly likely the committee is pointing to him as a reluctant member (only about violence) of the Cabal but certainly willing to go with it.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 22, 2022

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Uglycat posted:

E: I don't think arrogance, ego and pride are sufficient for explaining his refusal to call off the mob or promise an orderly transition. He was under enormous pressure, sometimes expert wranglers, sometimes careful guidance, but it was a torrent. He had to have ongoing encouragement (be it from co-conspirators encouraging follow through, or agents exerting leverage) from outside parties to resist that.

What? No. They laid out what happened. The coup attempt was failing and it was clear that police were getting things back under control and the military was coming in to re-establish control since VP Pence was effectively the acting president. Trump then finally relented. He wasn't doing anything because that was the point- they were supposed to kill Mike Pence and other members of congress so he could call for martial law nationwide.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I figured y'all wanted the whole thread :

https://twitter.com/The_Mal_Gallery/status/1550289866411634689?s=20&t=G4QAaK48umoti3d35DogWA

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Nelson Mandingo posted:

What? No. They laid out what happened. The coup attempt was failing and it was clear that police were getting things back under control and the military was coming in to re-establish control since VP Pence was effectively the acting president. Trump then finally relented. He wasn't doing anything because that was the point- they were supposed to kill Mike Pence and other members of congress so he could call for martial law nationwide.

The plan was to show up in person and lead the mob himself.

Denied that, he hid in a private room with a burner phone for 2.5 hours. He emerged with a script to follow that none of the wh staff had handed him, and that script interfered with his ability to deliver the scripts offered by white house staffers, and after putting enormous social pressure on him to gain compliance, they all gave up and went home.

E: maybe he was watching fox news. Maybe he was talking to flynn. Maybe he was in thoughtful meditation. Maybe he was on 8chan. Maybe he was getting direction from the Kremlin.

We'll probably never know, but we don't have to.
Trump is guilty of treason.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 22, 2022

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I’d like to thank Liz Cheney for throwing away a career of being a regressive shithead in Congress for the chance of getting Trump sent up the river.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Uglycat posted:

The plan was to show up in person and lead the mob himself.

Denied that, he hid in a private room with a burner phone for 2.5 hours. He emerged with a script to follow that none of the wh staff had handed him, and that script interfered with his ability to deliver the scripts offered by white house staffers, and after putting enormous social pressure on him to gain compliance, they all gave up and went home.

E: maybe he was watching fox news. Maybe he was talking to flynn. Maybe he was in thoughtful meditation. Maybe he was on 8chan. Maybe he was getting direction from the Kremlin.

We'll probably never know, but we don't have to.
Trump is guilty of treason.

They showed a couple phone logs from that time from Giuliani's phone. Not sure what phone Trump was calling from, though, since the WH phone logs were empty for the entire riot for some ridiculous period of time, several hours at least.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Uglycat posted:

The revolutionary romantics do coordinate. Trump isn’t a guy who would have knowledge of revolutionary action and how revolutions work. This is a dumb man. At the very least Brannon does (he has asserted he’s read Lenin). The unmentioned Russians would also. I mean somebody with more brains had to have planned this.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

came here to post lol at Hawley running like a little weasel

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The revolutionary romantics do coordinate. Trump isn’t a guy who would have knowledge of revolutionary action and how revolutions work. This is a dumb man. At the very least Brannon does (he has asserted he’s read Lenin). The unmentioned Russians would also. I mean somebody with more brains had to have planned this.

Could be flynn. Or stone.

The list of potential masterminds is pretty short. And most were clearly working together, with Trump.

But yeah. Bannon. Putin (but nobody cares and that's fine)

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Random question but could congress/senate propose and pass a law that Trump could not run again, or is this up to courts to decide?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Uglycat posted:

I dunno, man, I think Lord Fauntleroy has a predictable disposition and set of motivations that make him easily manipulated and lucrative to exploit by those with sinister motives beyond the sophomoric reach of his narcissism. Those machines had been set in motion by just convincing him that the coup could work and the delays were just him waiting for it to finally pan out.

I'd posit that the influence of outside parties had been exerted years before Jan. 6 with the knowledge that, once convinced, Trump would hold to his path with only occasional stroking necessary because to do otherwise would be to admit that he was wrong or, even worse, duped by smarter people. He didn't/doesn't care one whit about any of the rioting rabble that gathered or the democracy they pissed on, he just endured to the point where he thought it would make him look bad. Don't give him an inch of wiggle room.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Cheney, for whoever she was, is an inspiration in this committee. I know she's done bad poo poo as a politician, they all have, but hell if this doesn't look like a competent government all of a sudden.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

crime fighting hog posted:

Random question but could congress/senate propose and pass a law that Trump could not run again, or is this up to courts to decide?

The house could impeach, the senate could convict, and then they could vote that he cannot hold public office.

Otherwise, he had to be charged with and convicted of treason.

To forbid him from public office.

But there are notably two ways to forbid someone from holding public office.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Uglycat posted:

But yeah. Bannon. Putin (but nobody cares and that's fine)

Putin is getting his dick slammed in a door right now between Ukraine and the sanctions.

The others might see direct consequences even if they don’t get incorporated into the narrative.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Putin is getting his dick slammed in a door right now between Ukraine and the sanctions.

The others might see direct consequences even if they don’t get incorporated into the narrative.

This is also the short list for masterminds of qanon. Funnily enough.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Even if it was allowable, Congress drafting and voting on legislation that's literally a referendum on trump himself would galvanize what he's been trying to do with individual candidate endorsements for two years, and hand him a giant persecution narrative, time in the news cycle, and a great distraction from other stuff. He just now got a floppy old man half-boner because you, somewhere, had that idea.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
If trump had shown up at the steps of the capitol...

Would fox news have portrayed his move as bold and good while repeating the stolen election lies?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Uglycat posted:

If trump had shown up at the steps of the capitol...

Would fox news have portrayed his move as bold and good while repeating the stolen election lies?

Yes

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Then another someone has to hang

E: no, hanging should be exclusively for people that swore a public oath to the constitution. But treason nonetheless.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

This would likely be considered a bill of attainder and thus unconstitutional under Article I Section IX.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

If we learned anything about Donald Trump in four stupid nightmare years, it's that he doesn't take orders, only flattery. He didn't cave to anyone until it was clear he lost because he doesn't give a poo poo about any of the things they were trying to pressure him on. He sat, for hours, watching people willing to fight and die for him do exactly that, while terrified Republicans called him and those closest to him to beg him to stop. This was Trump on the biggest narcissism high of his life, taking vengeance on all the people he felt had wronged him, the one and only man who could stop what was happening and the one and only man who could have set it into motion. He was, in those three hours, truly the most powerful man on earth, with his enemies begging him for mercy which he in no way felt any inclination to give.

Donald Trump was not pressured at all. People telling him, asking him, pleading with him to do something was throwing fuel on his fire. He loved it, and at best he was annoyed that anyone would suggest he stop.

Did other people do the planning? The bulk of it, probably. Did other people use him to their own ends? Of course. But Donald Trump's got to be the big man in the big chair. A smarter person would never have wanted to personally march into the capitol, let alone fought his own security to do so, but Donald Trump is an extremely stupid man, ultimately driven by one and only one motive. He didn't need anyone to push him to do what he did, or bolster him in the midst of his triumphant madness.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

As mentioned, only convictions for treason or impeachment can ban someone from running for federal office. But even besides that, the Constitution explicitly bans Congress from passing laws targeting individuals. (And every state constitution does the same.)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Was that officer Eugene Goodman in that footage at the Capitol, the clip where a cop Kramers in with his baton in one hand and the mob right behind? Because, if so, that would be loving hilarious. That is the hallway right under where Pence was hiding with his SS detail. I would love it if the guy who got praised for leading the mob away from the chambers lead them straight to where they got within feet of actually catching Mike Pence.

Tell me that is him.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It absolutely is officer Goodman and the dude in the Q hoodie. gently caress me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 22, 2022

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Uglycat posted:

Then another someone has to hang

E: no, hanging should be exclusively for people that swore a public oath to the constitution. But treason nonetheless.

We get to find out if our system is going to fail. To do these hearings and then nothing would be catastrophic.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I.missed the last 30 mins of the hearing. What was it they finally accused trump?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Madkal posted:

I.missed the last 30 mins of the hearing. What was it they finally accused trump?

Nothing new really, they just tried to lay it out as clearly and unambiguously as they possibly could for the casual prime time audience, that there is no fall guy, there is no one else to blame, everyone in the world was telling Trump to call off the mob, and he made the deliberate decision to refuse. And when he finally told everyone to go home, they clearly made the case that the ONLY reason he did that was because he found out that congress was secured, the guard was coming, and that the police were starting to win the battle, so he knew that his coup attempt failed. It was then and only then that he reluctantly told everyone to go home.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I think it's important to remind everyone that Josh Hawley is a human UTI.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, I've always felt 01/06 apologists were lovely, but I also didn't necessarily feel that MIke Pence was actually in danger of being murdered. The President of the United States tried to indirectly murder his VP.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Trump would have been pleased no matter who died. McCarthy, Pelosi, Jordan, Shumer, Pence... all the same to him.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Dr. Faustus posted:

Trump would have been pleased no matter who died. McCarthy, Pelosi, Jordan, Shumer, Pence... all the same to him.

Eric.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

"Who's Eric?"
- Former and Future President of the United States, Donald J. Trump on the death of his son (hypothetical)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Rigel posted:

Nothing new really, they just tried to lay it out as clearly and unambiguously as they possibly could for the casual prime time audience, that there is no fall guy, there is no one else to blame, everyone in the world was telling Trump to call off the mob, and he made the deliberate decision to refuse. And when he finally told everyone to go home, they clearly made the case that the ONLY reason he did that was because he found out that congress was secured, the guard was coming, and that the police were starting to win the battle, so he knew that his coup attempt failed. It was then and only then that he reluctantly told everyone to go home.

I don't know if it was made explicit, but the mob left the Capitol as soon as he told them to go home, only because he told them. Three hours of rioting he provably could have stopped at any time.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

I don't know if it was made explicit, but the mob left the Capitol as soon as he told them to go home, only because he told them. Three hours of rioting he provably could have stopped at any time.

Hannity, Kuchner, Don Jr., McCarthy were all begging Meadows to get Trump to make some kind of statement. Even if there were another “fall guy”, Trump should’ve mobilized some kind response. Biden was denouncing it on live tv at some other location. The Committee explicitly laid all this at the feet of Trump. The clips of Republican leadership doing so as well (before they knuckled under) was very effective.

His ex-campaign staff texted that he wouldn’t mention the injured police because that would imply that the rioters and therefore himself would be at fault.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 22, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

nine-gear crow posted:

"Who's Eric?"
- Former and Future President of the United States, Donald J. Trump on the death of his son (hypothetical)

He got me coffee once maybe, very stupid(dumb!) Guy. Noone trusted him!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So after I checked the thread, I went to Twitter to see if I could find Aaron Rupar's reporting on it.

And apparently 'Clark Kent' is trending because people are thirsting after one of the people at the hearing?

You know what? gently caress it. If that's what takes more people to take notice of the hearings, I'm for it. Give that man a suit and cape and let him bailiff.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

J.A.B.C. posted:

So after I checked the thread, I went to Twitter to see if I could find Aaron Rupar's reporting on it.

And apparently 'Clark Kent' is trending because people are thirsting after one of the people at the hearing?

You know what? gently caress it. If that's what takes more people to take notice of the hearings, I'm for it. Give that man a suit and cape and let him bailiff.

I identify as a straight man. But that dude is legit handsome as hell.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

You can't just say this and then not post beefcake shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I knew that guy would get trended and memed to hell.

And yes, that sentiment is completely understandable.