Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

I've only been in the position with one car where there was no local tuner due to locked down ECU bullshit. I ended up lining up tuner time + dyno rental time to get it done. Pain in the rear end.

I'm not a fan of the locked down canned tune vendors these days, but it seems like you get screwed with some cars.

This is just a generic OTS tune, so nothing crazy. I'm getting the same kind of stuff on the stock tune though. I'm hoping they can just point me to what's going on because I can't figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Re: Speedometers: here's what mine looks like:

Just finished a long rear end drive to colorado and really enjoyed having coolant temps on my p3gauge and oil temps on the cluster. I did the same drive last year in my new-to-me e91 just kinda crossing my fingers. Overhauling the entire coolant system also increased my peace of mind.

Question: my car appears to slowly consume coolant (like several ounces over the past 3 months or so, no big swings in the floating indicator, just a slow reduction in level). Do I have a drip drop leak or does my car boil off coolant?

Aug 22, 2003

Stop it, you're killing me.

Elite Taco posted:

Question: my car appears to slowly consume coolant (like several ounces over the past 3 months or so, no big swings in the floating indicator, just a slow reduction in level). Do I have a drip drop leak or does my car boil off coolant?

My e90 was using a small amount of coolant before I replaced the oil filter housing gasket. It was a little crusty, assuming some was leaking into the oil and burning off that way.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Did you replace it yourself, or pay to have that done?

FCP Euro made it seem like that's pretty much a guaranteed "failure point" on the E90's when I was doing some research before buying mine.

I've been debating just paying to have it replaced before it becomes an issue, but it's been an expensive loving year so I don't wanna :v:

Watched a video on how to do it, but I dunno I just have zero confidence in my DIY skills lol. Seemed like a messy job too.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I paid to have it done on my F10 because I hate draining fluids and whatnot. It was already leaking at around 60k miles. Also the water pump went out around that time too. BMW is good at GDCS.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I replaced my OFHG when I did the 3SIM/starter/water pump/tstat/radiator/hoses.

The car consumes oil slowly as well.

I plan to do the valve cover gasket/milvs/etc in the fall, perhaps I'll find a slow leak when I address that side of the motor.

Either way, the car absolutely kicked rear end in touring mode with my family of four for 900 miles. The first drive to get groceries after I unloaded the car and removed the roof box was like an different animal, SOOOOO much more juice for passing.

upload image to url

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
All three of mine consumed oil, the N55 I assume it goes into the turbo. The N52s? No idea, but it went somewhere. On the N55 I got the valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket covered right at the end of the CPO. That's pretty much winning.

Even the sedans are good road trip cars, though I will say that the bigger brakes on the F30 made a huge difference when loading the car up with beer and wine.

And that's a good looking car. :)

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Elite Taco posted:

I replaced my OFHG when I did the 3SIM/starter/water pump/tstat/radiator/hoses.

The car consumes oil slowly as well.

I plan to do the valve cover gasket/milvs/etc in the fall, perhaps I'll find a slow leak when I address that side of the motor.

Either way, the car absolutely kicked rear end in touring mode with my family of four for 900 miles. The first drive to get groceries after I unloaded the car and removed the roof box was like an different animal, SOOOOO much more juice for passing.

upload image to url

wagowns

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Alarbus posted:

All three of mine consumed oil, the N55 I assume it goes into the turbo. The N52s? No idea, but it went somewhere. On the N55 I got the valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket covered right at the end of the CPO. That's pretty much winning.

Even the sedans are good road trip cars, though I will say that the bigger brakes on the F30 made a huge difference when loading the car up with beer and wine.

And that's a good looking car. :)

A lot of it seems to be down to questionable engine design (along with those pesky timing chains from the late 00s to early 10s, at least in my experience. I’ve had three cars and their oil consumption was like this:

2007 R56 MINI Cooper S
N14 1.6l 4cyl turbo
Consumption was 1 litre every 1000 miles. So precise and predictable you could use the dipstick as a trip computer.

2015 F20 LCI BMW 118i
N13 1.6l 4cyl turbo (the early LCI 1 Series had pre-LCI engines, so no 3 cylinder B38 goodness for me)
Consumption was 1 litre every 8000 miles, which was creeping toward every 5000 miles by the time I changed the car.

2017 F30 LCI BMW 320i
B48 2.0 4cyl turbo
Consumption works out to 1 litre every 70,667 miles. The car is nearly at 53,000 miles and has only ever used 0.75 litres of oil between changes in total and has never needed topping up.

It just so happens that the B48 is amongst the most reliable engines BMW has ever made. Seems an astonishing coincidence it happens to use far less oil than the others. Assuming I haven’t just gotten lucky with mine of course.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, mine was usually around a quart/liter every 6000-7000 miles. I usually just changed the oil at that point. It wasn't egregious.

Except when the gaskets leaked on the N55 and I could smell it. Ew.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I really really want to bid on this but low miles, 6MT, rare color combo... This is gonna go for way way more than I would ever spend on a decade+ old daily driver lol.

Not my favorite Green of theirs, but I'm such a sucker for brown interiors

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sab669 posted:

I really really want to bid on this but low miles, 6MT, rare color combo... This is gonna go for way way more than I would ever spend on a decade+ old daily driver lol.

Not my favorite Green of theirs, but I'm such a sucker for brown interiors
The guy who posted this to BaT is also posting in the E9x group on facebook about it, you could probably ask him questions there if you're interested in it

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've been talking with the tuner about my issues and they told me to try their lovely California gas tune. They gave me a credit to grab it so I didn't have to buy the dumb thing. Pretty good service on their end.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The guy who posted this to BaT is also posting in the E9x group on facebook about it, you could probably ask him questions there if you're interested in it

Like I said I'd love to own it, but I'm just not paying close to $30K for a ~12 year old wagon :v:

Unless it were a CTS-V :thunk:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

Like I said I'd love to own it, but I'm just not paying close to $30K for a ~12 year old wagon :v:

lol, imagine a $30k CTS-V wagon.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

fknlo posted:

lol, imagine a $30k CTS-V wagon.

Automatic, 300k miles, multiple accidents lmao

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sab669 posted:

I'm always confused by who is buying these $30k, 12+ year old used wagons. It seems like a lot of money to spend on a car that's ultimately an old daily driver.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
They a good cars.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I'm always confused by who is buying these $30k, 12+ year old used wagons. It seems like a lot of money to spend on a car that's ultimately an old daily driver.

Apparently it's people who drive them for 6 months and then turn around and flip them before even registering the car in state

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

rscott posted:

Apparently it's people who drive them for 6 months and then turn around and flip them before even registering the car in state

Ah, so enthusiasts!

Elite Taco posted:

They a good cars.

Yeah I guess, at least for six months!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I kinda kick myself for going with what was slightly more comfortable in the budget (128i 6mt) rather than what I wanted but was slightly out of budget (328i 6mt wagon) but $150/mo was a decent chunk of change at 23 years old. GWM would have been to buy the 328.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I took the Lotus up to Prescott today. I hadn't driven it since January it seems.

What does this have to do with BMWs? Ah who cares.

Trip report: 250 miles, easily over 100db in the cabin, and if I didn't have noise cancelling headphones I probably would have gone home. The drive up was great. A couple times I was reaching for a drive mode button or looking for the paddle behind the steering wheel. :) Steering feels as incredible as ever. I wish I didn't have to travel so far for curvy roads.

The drive back I wished I was in the Alfa. I'm almost 40 and this car is slowly going from "who I am" to "who I want to be." I keep thinking about selling but 1) I can't be arsed to fix the fiberglass damage and 2) not sure what I'd replace it with.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you decide to sell uhhh pm me

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

I bought mine for $23k a year ago, and have been daily driving it since as well as intending it to be my daily driver for pretty much as long as I possibly can.

:argh: they don’t make them like they used to :argh:

Also literally not something you can buy in the US anymore. BMW stopped offering a manual with the wagon for the F31 and then wagons entirely with the G series. Technically Cadillac made the CTS-V for an extra year longer if you want a RWD manual wagon, otherwise VW GSW is the only other manual wagon option and that died a couple years ago, plus was a haldex fwd biased awd car or just fwd. E91 also still had hydraulic steering!

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 15, 2022

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you decide to sell uhhh pm me

Uh me too, my ideal pairing to my wagon would be a lotus also white with white is too good.

Also idc about bmw thread I like hearing about your alfa, and now the lotus too!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

The drive back I wished I was in the Alfa. I'm almost 40 and this car is slowly going from "who I am" to "who I want to be." I keep thinking about selling but 1) I can't be arsed to fix the fiberglass damage and 2) not sure what I'd replace it with.

mx5 ought to be enough sports car for anybody

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

TheBacon posted:

Uh me too, my ideal pairing to my wagon would be a lotus also white with white is too good.

Also idc about bmw thread I like hearing about your alfa, and now the lotus too!

Bidding war, woo! Yeah, I’ll let you guys know when the time comes.

Ok Comboomer posted:

mx5 ought to be enough sports car for anybody

Even an ND2 would be a letdown after an Exige.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I took the Lotus up to Prescott today. I hadn't driven it since January it seems.

Best car, I wanted one of those but settled for the Cayman and later added a Caterham instead. Add me to the 'let me know if you sell' list.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Overhead wire failure around Landshut (between Dingolfing and Munich) caused a mild amount of mayhem today. Hope none of y'all ordered a G22/23, G3x, G1x, or any of the corresponding M-variants recently. :ohdear:

https://streamable.com/zt6d15

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Tossed on the ACN91 tune earlier in the week and was finally able to get a pull in. This tank is slightly juiced with 1.5 gallons of e85 in it but I was still getting the timing pulls with it on the regular stage 1 tune.

This is showing RPM, individual cylinder timing, and timing correction for each cylinder as well.

Regular stage 1 tune:

Bad California gas(I'm in Colorado) stage 1 tune:

Just a slight difference there...

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

I took the E92 M3 to the Nürburgring for the first time last week, and while overall the car performed well, I experienced some pretty bad shuddering from the front under braking. It's not something that I've noticed during street or highway driving, apart from some very minor vibrations at over 100km/h. The car is standard apart from an exhaust. Where might this be coming from? The usual suspects seem to be warped rotors and/or uneven pad deposits, but I'm also considering the wheel balancing, wheel bearings, and suspension bushings.

Also there was some incredible hardware at the Ring - a load of E92, E46, and other M3s in a variety of track/race preps; various 911s; at least one McLaren; a couple of SLSs, the list goes on. A lot of inspiration!

I'm planning to hit the Ring more often in the E92 but driving 4 hours each way in the same car that's being used on the track means compromising on the fitout and running the risk of being stranded after a failure. Am I crazy for looking at a F15 X5 30d for towing the E92 + trailer, plus serving as a commute/errand workhorse? Second-gen Cayennes are also an option, and they have higher towing capacity compared to the F15.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
How new/worn are the tires? That's usually been my problem.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Alarbus posted:

How new/worn are the tires? That's usually been my problem.

They're 1mm off the markers so they're coming due for a refresh, and I'm not sure how old they are off the top of my head. I'm on the factory staggered 19" wheels but I'd look to switch to either a 18" or 19" square setup once the current tyres are finished.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

I didn't take many pictures in the paddock, but this car really stood out to me - made me nostalgic for the John Player black and gold M3s that used to run in Australian touring cars.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Sounds like an awesome experience.

Start simple, brake rotors are the most likely cause followed by brake pads. Hopefully you adjusted tire pressure before going out but if you didn’t, it’s possible there’s an imbalance.

After that you can go nuts with the next level items.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

It is almost certainly pad deposits, especially if you're on OE pads and have never have the brakes up to track temp before.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sounds excellent, got any video while lapping?

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

Sounds excellent, got any video while lapping?

Both my partner and friend were in the car (along with luggage etc) and I'm pretty sure that one of them recorded at least one lap, I'll get a hold of it. I don't think I managed a BTG under 10min in 4 attempts, unfamiliarity with the track and keeping the speed reasonable on the straights had a lot to do with that.

SlapActionJackson posted:

It is almost certainly pad deposits, especially if you're on OE pads and have never have the brakes up to track temp before.

Good to know, I'll start there! From what I can read online, either re-bedding the current pads or swapping in some aggressive track pads are the most suitable ways to scrub pad deposits off. Any other tips?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Rebedding the same pad over top of uneven deposits is tricky. Switching to an aggressive track pad will grind them down when cold. You can also take the rotors to a shop with a brake lathe and have them cut, though it's getting harder to find shops that still have lathes. You can do nothing and it'll go away eventually, though might take a while depending on severity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Wasn't there a Roadkill episode where they took a cheap random orbital sander from the hardware store and "resurfaced" the rotors? :D