Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'm really liking Ichinojo this basho, the man's doing the business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

GoatSeeGuy posted:

News: September

Views: Ozeki Shodai

Truly a cursed basho indeed

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
My team (whoever they are) was doing so well :(

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

bessantj posted:

I'm really liking Ichinojo this basho, the man's doing the business.

People joke about the snoralax thing, but he’s basically as good as his back will allow him to be on any given day. After a non-injury basho off to rest we’re seeing old school mullet in the top division Ichinojo. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I am destined for MK this basho.

But look, Tochi is up for KK!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Jobbo_Fett posted:

My team (whoever they are) was doing so well :(

Yeah same. I've gone from top score to nearly the bottom. It's okay, I've been KK for a while and clearly haven't dealt with my injuries well enough to enforce my style of gimmick team. I'll rest up after this basho and charge headlong back into it for September. I wonder if anyone tracks head circumference stats for the rikshi? I haven't picked based on that yet.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

Besides, how would the NSK benefit from Terunofuji winning more or less? If he's completely not up to it no amount of leniency is gonna make him look good, and if he's actually strong enough to compete then they'd probably prefer a competitive basho for more viewership.

Also, even using the all conspiracies are real theory, i the NSK likely to rig for the Mongolian champ? Like enforcing the hairpull on the Takakeisho match earlier and Takakeisho is tied with Teru and having the young Japanese Ozeki setti
Ng up a yusho run is a much better fix.

From the gambling perspective, there's no money in fixing for the favourite.

If there is match fixing in the classic sumo sense, tonight's Shodai/Taka match is more likely in that Shodai is safe but probably not in the yusho hunt so he might be pursuaded to help Taka in a yusho run for a future match. Early fixes are less likely because guys might need a win to keep their position later so giving them away early could have greater than intended consequences.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 21, 2022

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

bartolimu posted:

Yeah same. I've gone from top score to nearly the bottom. It's okay, I've been KK for a while and clearly haven't dealt with my injuries well enough to enforce my style of gimmick team. I'll rest up after this basho and charge headlong back into it for September. I wonder if anyone tracks head circumference stats for the rikshi? I haven't picked based on that yet.

Most likely to least likely to play american football?

Who looks best in a suit+tie?

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Nooooo

https://twitter.com/InsideSportJP/status/1550311236440829952

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

RIP to a good laddie, Tom O'Washy, I'll be drinkin' a point of Guinness in yer honor boy-o

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Ah poo poo :(

Kenning, I'd like to request to trade Tamawashi for, going down the list, whoever's still available between Ichinojo, Ura, and Wakamotoharu.

And I understand this won't register until after this fusen so I'll only get the "lucky" winner for two days.

Eli949
Oct 23, 2008
COVID has finally struck my heya! Poor Nishikigi, you were doing so well.

I’ve never traded before, so I am not 100% sure if the rules here. I would request a trade for Tobizaru; if I cannot acquire him for whatever reason, I’ll stand by Nishikigi and eat the remaining losses.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/InsideSportJP/status/1550337037458636800

:lmao:

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Not sure whether to laffo or sigh. That's Endo, Daieisho, Tobizaru, Tsurugisho, and Daiamami (again).

I can't believe the best performer of all my picks has been fuckin Shodai. Kenning, I could use a trade for Daieisho (in addition to Kotonowaka yesterday), but this basho is so cursed that I will totally understand if it can’t be done.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 22, 2022

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

That's what, six rikishi from the top division out today?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Uhhhhh

I'd also like to trade Tobizaru for (going down the list until someone is available) Meisei, Chiyotairyu, or Tochinoshin please :shobon:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
shouldnt the last person endo wrestled be pulled from the basho for being in literal contact with him.

that'd be Shimanoumi

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 22, 2022

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

JFC, they're dropping like flies.

Kenning, I'll eat the Nishikigi fusen today then trade for Tochinoshin/Meisei/Chiyotairyu whoevever is available. I don't envy the bookkeeping you have to do this basho.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Yeah can I dump Endo for whomever of Kiribiyama, Wakamotoharu and Ura is available?

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 22, 2022

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

If Endo is out can I get my other M1-5 still-standing pick of Ichinojo? If yes, I'd like to do that first.

If not and if Daieisho is also out then I'd like to trade out Daieisho for Wakatakakage > Hoshoryu > Abi. I will then pick my trade for Endo tomorrow after seeing today's results because if all the other M1-5 lose their bouts today, I don't see any point in even trading out Endo seeing as I'd immediately pick up -0.5 for a second trade (does this penalty still apply for kyujo autotrades?) and -0.5 for a 2nd MK since no other remaining M1-5 rikishi can make KK if they lose their next bout and the rikishi would only be in my stable for the final day.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Christ. I dunno if I would even want to trade at this point. This is ludicrous. Been joking about the tournament dropping down to Terunofuji and some guy in Makushita, but they really are dropping like flies. I won't be at all surprised if the next few basho are just cancelled.

As for this time around and trades... I don't even know that I want to?? I'm fine following my top 3 picks for the section: Daieisho -> Wakatakakage to trade whenever appropriate, but this whole thing is really just falling apart.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Japan's covid numbers are spiking to the worst they've ever been and the government has said they absolutely will not put restrictions in place ever again. The country has only as done as well as it has until now because of investments in air quality/filtration and enough of the people ignoring the increasingly frantic demands to stop masking.

This is probably going to be what every basho is until things actually change for the better.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm now rooting for a Shodai yusho by literally being the last man standing. Yusho with the least effort expended would be just perfect.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
https://twitter.com/InsideSportJP/status/1550339501490589696

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Going to be a lot of time to fill tonight:

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1550352707654934532

And they aren't counting this against Tamawashi's perfect record:

https://twitter.com/TheSumoSoul/status/1550348068628811777

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

poo poo, if Nishkigi is sick I'll trade for Onosho please. Or whomever, idk.

Also, watch Shodai win this poo poo by simply having shown up while everyone else is out sick.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Ah, I thought my team might dodge the covid after all but it seems I've lost Tobizaru :(

Can I trade him for Tochinoshin? If not, maybe Meisei?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Christ. I dunno if I would even want to trade at this point. This is ludicrous. Been joking about the tournament dropping down to Terunofuji and some guy in Makushita, but they really are dropping like flies. I won't be at all surprised if the next few basho are just cancelled.

As for this time around and trades... I don't even know that I want to?? I'm fine following my top 3 picks for the section: Daieisho -> Wakatakakage to trade whenever appropriate, but this whole thing is really just falling apart.

Banzuke is going to be wild for Aki, no idea how the hell they're going to score this with so many people falling out in staggered patterns.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I think I just lost most of my loser team.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I wonder what they'll do with Tobizaru and Endo since they are already mk/kk. I'd guess they should get moved based on their current record?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Fusensho Yuusho incoming. :smith:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I wonder if next basho they'll stop quarantining the whole heya and only have the people directly popping go out, even though that will have its own cascade of infections but at a pace they'll probably hope maintains enough guys in for the 2 weeks to be less complete of a collapse.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I would to not trade Endo if possible.

My stable will not kick a sick man to the curb.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

At least Enho won today. :unsmith:

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

KungFu Grip posted:

shouldnt the last person endo wrestled be pulled from the basho for being in literal contact with him.

that'd be Shimanoumi

A mercy at this point for Shimanoumi

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

For crying out loud..
Tochi, my guy, Chiyoshoma was 5-7, you KNEW he was going to pull some henka poo poo, c'mooooon. :smith:

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Bentai posted:

For crying out loud..
Tochi, my guy, Chiyoshoma was 5-7, you KNEW he was going to pull some henka poo poo, c'mooooon. :smith:

A tale as old as time.

Yeah I'm okay sticking with whoever I have left, RIP Kenning's spreadsheet.

This is a total bummer, hope everyone comes out of it alright but ho-lee poo poo what a cluster gently caress :suspense:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Okay, so I'm working on Day 12 scores, including doing all the auto-trading. What a catastrophe. Here's who everyone got on Day 12:

code:
anakha			Ichi
Charles Gnarwin		Ichi
Chinook			Terut
Communist Thoughts	Ichi
Firebatgyro		Ura
Fluffdaddy		Ichi
Iron Chef Nex		Ura
Jobbo_Fett		Kiri
Kenning			Kiri
Khizan			Midori
KungFu Grip		Tobi
Maigius			Ura
Mode 7			Ura
MyChemicalImbalance	Ichi
pseudodragon		Kiri
QuasiQuack		Hoku
Scythe			Midori
sivad			Ura
ullerrm			Ichi
Vargatron		Tama
Xerzes			Aoiy
Communist Thoughts gets Tochinoshin for Kotoeko on Day 13. I'll deal with the new kyujo tomorrow.

Khizan posted:

I think week 2 trades should be restricted to only the wrestlers in your initial draft pick, assuming any are available, because that would base the pick on your initial judgment
and it prevents you from using the kyujo to pick up somebody you didn't go for who's on an unexpected hot streak or similar.

I think this is probably right, and will end up being the rule after this basho.

Day 12 standings:

Makuuchi
code:
44	Kenning
43.5	EveryonesFavoritePoster
42.5	jmzero
42	Jobbo_Fett
41	GoatSeeGuy
40	Charles Gnarwin
39	Flinger
39	NuclearPotato
39	pseuodragon
39	whats for dinner
38.5	MyChemicalImbalance
38.5	Thauros
38	scripterror
38	Vargatron
37.5	Ice Phisherman
37	captainblastum
37	Chinook
37	Eli949
37	Marching Powder
37	Takuan
37	Tochiazuma
36.5	Crusty Nutsack
36.5	Tiny Bug Child
36	Pakled
36	Skjorte
35	anakha
35	Iron Chef Nex
35	Netsky
34	Khizan
33	Firebatgyro
33	ullerm
32.5	Banana Canada
32.5	Neodoomium
32.5	Teddybear
32	sivad
30.5	bartolimu
30	Communist Thoughts
28	Robviously
27.5	bessantj
26	Lid
16	some kinda jackal
Juryo
code:
44	Akiosan
42	S.W.O.R.D. Agent
41	Boogalo
41	Fluffdaddy
41	Maigius
38	Dead Goon
38	Helianthus Annuus
37.5	Mode 7
36	Liquid Communism
35.5	Saturnine Aberrance
34.5	LlamaTrauma
33	KungfuGrip
33	QuasiQuack
32.5	Gaghskull
32.5	MalarkeyToboggan
32	rare Magic card l00k
31.5	ratmosphere
31	Kuros
31	Xerzes
30.5	Lexorin
29.5	Log082
28.5	Scythe
28	Brut
25	ilmucche
11	Shiroc

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Kenning posted:

Okay, so I'm working on Day 12 scores, including doing all the auto-trading. What a catastrophe. Here's who everyone got on Day 12:

Appreciated for putting in all the work for this mess.

Cursed-rear end basho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Thank you Kenning for keeping up with this clusterfuck of a basho. I will continue to perform my brand of aggressive fantasy sumo, only going forward and never looking back.