Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Leviabeetus posted:

See, now this here is condescending, thank you

No it isn’t? I can condescend to you if you like I see you really want to get on that cross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I never really was into any of the garou designs but this is a cute payoff for space face.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Sefer posted:

I don't think I've seen the Volume 26 extras linked: https://cubari.moe/read/gist/OPM/167-5/1/

Best Girl Monaka showing off the fanservice on the cover.

Leviabeetus
Feb 14, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

No it isn’t? I can condescend to you if you like I see you really want to get on that cross

:jerkbag:

the bitcoin of weed posted:

i liked when saitama sneezed and completely destroyed the planet jupiter

yeah, it was a pretty sweet chapter

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Elfface posted:

Best Girl Monaka showing off the fanservice on the cover.

ok, now murata is getting too horny

edit: i think murata does the best drawings of massive scale destruction that i've ever seen. the detail and sense of movement he manages to capture is probably half the reason i started reading the manga, and boy if he doesn't still have it

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 22, 2022

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

It is still a collaboration between ONE and Murata right? Seems weird that a lot of criticism that I have seen basically lays it all on Murata's end.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Weissritter posted:

It is still a collaboration between ONE and Murata right? Seems weird that a lot of criticism that I have seen basically lays it all on Murata's end.

Yep. ONE is still writing OPM.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Weissritter posted:

I try not to do that, because I don't know either of them. But it's a natural impulse to, when a work goes from solo to collaboration, to blame any changes we don't like on the new guy.

Of course, when you go from being able to draw picture one to having someone to draw picture two....

I can see the temptation to go from an quick fight to a luxurious one.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

team overhead smash posted:

Yeah that’s the issue I have with Saitama, he’s just far too stoppable atm…

Saitama's greatest weakness besides his depression is that his punches still have knock back, IMO.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like in exchange for webcomic posters doing their best to not post spoilers for years it's fair to shut the gently caress up about the webcomic thread

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Saitama will lose

in minecraft

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Runa posted:

Saitama will lose

his hair

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Lucas Archer posted:

Okay, after reading the translation I enjoyed the chapter, but I am a little annoyed by the fact that it didn’t just roll back events - it rolled back character development for both Saitama and Garou. Garou had his realization of what his Ominous Future would be wiped away. But more importantly, Saitama lost his introspective realization of his own failure of being a hero. Losing Genos because he showed up too late, his understanding of how both Garou and King displayed more heroic characteristics than he has -

I don’t know. Maybe I just find something tragically romantic (in the classic sense) of an AU where Saitama has to live on this irradiated rock for the rest of his life holding Genos’ core in his left hand, never letting it go, as a reminder that no matter how powerful he is, no matter that he can beat anything with a single punch, it still doesn’t mean he ‘wins’. He failed. Genos died. He couldn’t do anything about it and has to live with that failure.

You're right about the character development. That can be a dangerous in stories where there's time travel. Avengers had the same problem with Thanos. I'm hoping that Saitama retains some memory or vague feeling about what happened, since we know this version isn't exactly the same as the one that was already there, given the core and the hole in the suit

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
One interesting thing I noticed about the latest chapter is that Saitama finally displayed his power in front of the rest of the heroes. There was no ambiguity over who did it or whether or not Garou was actually a powerful foe. I wonder if this will actually change the dynamics with how the Hero Association and S classes treat him, or if they're just going to retreat to some kind of "The radiation must have been causing us to hallucinate! :v:" explanation.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Devils Affricate posted:

One interesting thing I noticed about the latest chapter is that Saitama finally displayed his power in front of the rest of the heroes. There was no ambiguity over who did it or whether or not Garou was actually a powerful foe. I wonder if this will actually change the dynamics with how the Hero Association and S classes treat him, or if they're just going to retreat to some kind of "The radiation must have been causing us to hallucinate! :v:" explanation.

He went back in time right as he threw the punch, so Garou got knocked out by something that doesn't exist. King will of course be credited with the win.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Devils Affricate posted:

Some might, but there's no way the Status quo will remain....

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can't wait for us to pull back in 4 chapters (11 years) and find out the whole comic was just Saitama's fantasy of how cool a hero he'll be while he's 8 weeks into his training regimen.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
My only complaint about the manga is that the people who don't care about the story don't spoiler things even though the translation comes out only a few hours after the pretty pictures. :( My fault for not just rushing through the thread with my eyes closed until I stumble onto another link, but still...

I hate that Saitama and Garou lost all their memories. The entire fight was just a dream. It was an extremely cool fight, and I felt bad for poor Io and Jupiter, so I'm glad they are okay, but it was all just fanservice.

Also the implication that Garou was at some point stronger than Saitama was at some point implies it is indeed possible to be stronger than him, motorcycle analogy or not, which I don't know how I feel about.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Nah. Garou was, in a certain point of time, approaching Saitama in strenght, from below. Nothing more and nothing less.

Also, the whole limiter thing implies that anyone can, at least in theory, have the same strenght of Saitama.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 22, 2022

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

YggdrasilTM posted:

Nah. Garou was, in a certain point of time, approaching Saitama in strenght, from below. Nothing more and nothing less.

Also, the whole limiter thing implies that anyone can, at least in theory, have the same strenght of Saitama.

Theoretically, this Garou could beat this Saitama. I had always assumed Saitama was infinitely powerful. Any increase in his strength was just a higher form of infinity. This Garou actually surpassed a past Saitama in strength though. He was even aware of a time-travel method, so if he could use his own technique, he could theoretically actually beat Saitama. So threats to Saitama could actually exist. Not that I think we'll ever see any.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Shadow0 posted:

Theoretically, this Garou could beat this Saitama. I had always assumed Saitama was infinitely powerful. Any increase in his strength was just a higher form of infinity. This Garou actually surpassed a past Saitama in strength though. He was even aware of a time-travel method, so if he could use his own technique, he could theoretically actually beat Saitama. So threats to Saitama could actually exist. Not that I think we'll ever see any.

I assume if the superior garou went back in time to confront Saitama it'd just immediately sharpen the Saitama power curve and he'd surpass Garou instantly.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I love the webcomic and I think specifically the Garou fight is very well written in it, I also love the manga and it is enjoyable and hilarious as hell. I’m glad we have something new with new jokes and scenes, instead of a redraw of the same thing.

I liked the sneeze joke, the fart joke, and the dick joke.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

I assume if the superior garou went back in time to confront Saitama it'd just immediately sharpen the Saitama power curve and he'd surpass Garou instantly.

Correct. Garou would get one hit in and Saitama would immediately eclipse him.

I don’t think Garou approaching Saitama is a fundamental shift in Saitama’s power. Saitama never had to grow all this time (though he was always getting stronger) and up until the point someone could actually register his growth, his power level was effectively infinite relative to those around him. Garou just got to see the growth that was always occurring, and accelerated due to the fight.

It’s Salieri having enough brilliance himself to truly appreciate the genius of Mozart. The competition was always one-sided.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I don't know if that graph is meant to represent objective power levels. It's just illustrating that even with shonen exponential power scaling garou will still somehow end up more behind than ever.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I like that Garous perfected martial arts was "time travel"

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

the best way to win a fight is to never have it, after all

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Collapsing Farts posted:

the ultimate evil fist: retcons

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

No, it just means Saitama would punch harder earlier.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Yeah, the only way Garou could've won is if he'd perfected his martial arts and gone back and fought Saitama like 3 years ago.

Things basically worked the same but I kinda had my own assumption on how Saitama's strength worked and I'm sad to see that he's not actually on New Game + compared to everyone. Also I was going to assume the joke here was that Garou was actually more of a threat than Boros and thus required so much harder punching than Saitama usually had to do that he was rapidly getting stronger as opposed to passively, like a non-Wizardry RPG character, and the same amount of effort was getting way better results because he's getting thrice as strong by the second.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 22, 2022

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I wonder if he grew at all during his fight with Boros. It reads like that was the first time he ever had to throw a Serious Punch, but was he always able to go that hard?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Saitama's power is that he is always as strong as he needs to be.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

I agree, regardless of his energy output, I assume Saitama is 100% indestructible.

By the way, any science goons able to theorize on what would actually happen to Jupiter based on what we saw? Would the gas blow out into space, or would it more or less re-coalesce to status quo?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bucswabe posted:

I agree, regardless of his energy output, I assume Saitama is 100% indestructible.

By the way, any science goons able to theorize on what would actually happen to Jupiter based on what we saw? Would the gas blow out into space, or would it more or less re-coalesce to status quo?

Saitama didn't really eject enough mass to move that much mass, so we're already beyond the realm of science. Even if every droplet of water he emitted was fired at the speed of light, it doesn't make sense.

But ignoring that,

The gas ought to just fall back down (eventually) unless it was launched away at escape velocity. Probably some amount of it was, but the extreme bulk should fall back down. It might take it a very long time to become spherical again though. Though it's hard to say since we only have a before and after and no way to know what velocity the gas is traveling at.

But it's such a large amount of mass, it will want to coalesce.

The various moons might capture some material as well, but are also going to be thrown into extremely chaotic orbits, and many will probably be knocked away or begin falling in.

Some of the material will likely accumulate in the ring as well.

It's going to be extremely hot and turbulent on the planet though, not that it wasn't already. I'm not sure what scale of years it would take before it went back to "status quo" though. Hundreds? Thousands? Millions? of years?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sally posted:

Saitama's power is that he is always as strong as he needs to be.

Stronger than he needs to be, surely.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Also they're just talking in space now.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Stronger than he needs to be, surely.

It's consistently been a real problem for the guy.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Edit: Beaten

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

Saitama's is a logarithmic scale.

Plek fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 22, 2022

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Great post! Thanks for this!

I'd like to think that Saitama inhaled so hard on his sneeze that the gas was so dense that when he exhaled it was, like, half the atmosphere of IO

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

For Saitama’s sneeze to be able to move Jupiter’s atmosphere, the mass of gas from his lungs would need to be ejected at such a force (particles moving at near light speed) that it would cause explosions worse than nuclear explosions on impact. Jupiter’s gas would not be moved, it would be incinerated and detonate, and the subsequent explosion would need to be what ejects gas out from the atmosphere into space.

Saitama would not be able to inhale much more than a regular person, as lungs can’t ”suck in” gas, they can only create a vacuum in the lungs that gets filled up, a process slow enough that Saitama shouldn’t be able to inhale gas from more than a few meters away. This means his sneeze doesn’t have enough mass to achieve this effect with raw mass, instead it has to be ejected with absurd energy and density.

Still, Shadow0 is correct that most gas should fall back eventually, although Jupiter might gain rings from the process over the course of a few million years.

But something I loooved about that page was how well the internals of Jupiter were drawn! I have been fascinated lately with how the internals of gas planets look, what it would be like to fall through jupiter and eventually land on its solid iron core under immense gas pressure. This spread is so well drawn, and the planets anatomy and layers of gas are so well researched, that its the first time ever that I feel I can clearly visualize the internals of Jupiter. That iron core looks so convincing! It’s just a really impressive drawing.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Now calculate how big and fast his fart was, thanks