Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Thats some good Schadenfreude , drat. I kind of want a follow up on this like what exactly was wrong with him that he was admitted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

The actual scariest thing is that was the most comprehensive sex education for large parts of the country.

It was at least more educational than rural Indiana public school sex education.

My highschool health class was basically just the gym teacher coming in to the room and saying "3 of the students in this school are HIV positive. Good luck!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/akillingword/status/1549917407568744449

Twitter has given this thread a gift.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Anora posted:

The scariest thing about Adam Carrolla is that he and Dr. Drew had a popular talk show on both MTV and the radio specifically to talk to kids about their problems.

Hey, some people needed to know what to do when their rear end in a top hat was the size of a mason-jar.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

The Fattest PI posted:

Instead of changing the name to distance themselves why not just stop playing that stupid rear end game. Bunch of dorks running around with sticks between their legs pretending they're wizards

"Sport" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that article.

e:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Hey, some people needed to know what to do when their rear end in a top hat was the size of a mason-jar.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 22, 2022

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

NO

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

:hmmyes:

"D-d-d-doctor Drew's right."

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin

OHH YEAH

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin
rear end glass or pass

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

The sounds and lack thereof in that video were as terrifying as the visuals.

graynull fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 22, 2022

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

graynull posted:

The sounds and lack thereof in that video were as terrifying as the visuals.

Yeah, how casual he is about the whole thing, like 'aw man not again', brings up some real dark implications about how this dude spends his time :aaa:

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah, how casual he is about the whole thing, like 'aw man not again', brings up some real dark implications about how this dude spends his time :aaa:

First name terms with receptionist at ER, has bum surgeon's listed alphabetically on phone.
has a drawer of various grippy socks.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Hollismason posted:

Thats some good Schadenfreude , drat. I kind of want a follow up on this like what exactly was wrong with him that he was admitted.

I was suddenly reminded of this old Billy Connolly story when I saw that post

(Also some good schad on Billy in that story lol)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ol' mate Dave tries the "Balance an egg on your head" challenge, not knowing that the secret ingredient is super glue
Warning: English chavs, lots of c-bombs

https://i.imgur.com/vjqUVEc.mp4

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I certainly haven't seen this pool trick before...

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rf9whuhuvL1w5pr9j.mp4

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://i.imgur.com/cmk3k3m.mp4

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Vlaphor posted:

I certainly haven't seen this pool trick before...

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rf9whuhuvL1w5pr9j.mp4

P. Sure that's a scratch

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Shad is on us, the British public. There's a survey going out from the government about reintroducing pure imperial measurements. Don't worry, the survey is not biased.

edit: timg because jesus christ

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 22, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Aramoro posted:

Shad is on us, the British public. There's a survey going out from the government about reintroducing pure imperial measurements. Don't worry, the survey is not biased.

Two for one today, another of the Brexit predictions came true

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ol' mate Dave tries the "Balance an egg on your head" challenge, not knowing that the secret ingredient is super glue
Warning: English chavs, lots of c-bombs

https://i.imgur.com/vjqUVEc.mp4

What a strange language.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

We did something about this problem, solved it and for some reason never heard about the problem again. You can't explain that.

This reminded me of how often I hear right wing media bring up how in the 70's everyone was saying there'd be another ice age but now it's all global warming when, in reality, I think it was like ONE Time Magazine article speculating on the possibility of a second ice age.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

We did something about this problem, solved it and for some reason never heard about the problem again. You can't explain that.

Its like tech bros constantly trying to "disrupt" industries. Turns out there's a reason taxi companies require licenses or why there are so many rules about what a hotel needs to operate.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

BiggerBoat posted:

This reminded me of how often I hear right wing media bring up how in the 70's everyone was saying there'd be another ice age but now it's all global warming when, in reality, I think it was like ONE Time Magazine article speculating on the possibility of a second ice age.

Also knowing that the oil companies knew about the research since the 50s or so, that article was probably paid for and maybe even written by them.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Aramoro posted:

edit: timg because jesus christ

I honestly don't know why the Tories bother sending these out. They did one for privatising Channel 4, 64% were against the Idea and they just decided to ignore it and move forward with it anyway.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

limp_cheese posted:

The actual scariest thing is that was the most comprehensive sex education for large parts of the country.

It was at least more educational than rural Indiana public school sex education.

Yeah, I went to catholic school and our sex ed consisted of being told AIDs molecules were small.enough to go through holes in condoms, shown pictures of a medical outside a Planned Parenthood and some lady giving us a lecture about how tape loses stickiness if you use it too much, so no loving.
If it wasnt for Loveline I'd never had known how to fit a mason jar up my rear end

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Carolla and Dr Drew weren't so bad on loveline, fame and MTV hosed them up good

Like I don't even recognize the Dr Drew of today as the same person

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

muscles like this! posted:

Its like tech bros constantly trying to "disrupt" industries. Turns out there's a reason taxi companies require licenses or why there are so many rules about what a hotel needs to operate.

I don't know if the taxi industry is a good example. The Taxi Medallion system was peak corruption and gatekeeping.

Anyway.... Happy Fire Friday!
https://twitter.com/AwardsDarwin_/status/1550500734315237378

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Yeah, I went to catholic school and our sex ed consisted of being told AIDs molecules were small.enough to go through holes in condoms, shown pictures of a medical outside a Planned Parenthood and some lady giving us a lecture about how tape loses stickiness if you use it too much, so no loving.
If it wasnt for Loveline I'd never had known how to fit a mason jar up my rear end

Did we go to the same school?

The sex ed teacher was also the Religion class teacher (I don't think she had any actual credentials), and after her terrible sex ed lesson she put out a cardboard box with a slot and said if anyone had any sex ed related questions we could drop them in there anonymously and she'd address them so we could all learn. Me and some friends had some legit questions and put them in. She opened the box later, read one, closed it and never brought it up again.

I think I asked if males really had a g-spot in their rear end

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

The Fattest PI posted:

I think I asked if males really had a g-spot in their rear end

Did you ever find out

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Burning_Monk posted:

I don't know if the taxi industry is a good example. The Taxi Medallion system was peak corruption and gatekeeping.

the purpose of medallions is to act as a hard limit on the number of taxis in circulation, as taxis lead to increased traffic congestion due to phenomenon such as cruising (driving around looking for fares) and deadheading (driving between fares)

turns out this is still just as true with rideshares as it is with traditional taxis

https://news.mit.edu/2021/ride-sharing-intensifies-urban-road-congestion-0423

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Yeah we had the "HIV can just pass through condoms" speech and it was a public school. He had a volleyball net set up in the gym and said it had the same possibility of a tennis ball passing through the holes of the net, proceeded to throw the ball at the net, and it hit the bottom of it and didn't pass through.

Pretty sure that speech inspired a lot of people to find out how rad unprotected sex is though.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

the purpose of medallions is to act as a hard limit on the number of taxis in circulation, as taxis lead to increased traffic congestion due to phenomenon such as cruising (driving around looking for fares) and deadheading (driving between fares)

turns out this is still just as true with rideshares as it is with traditional taxis

https://news.mit.edu/2021/ride-sharing-intensifies-urban-road-congestion-0423

The medallions were also artificially limited, extremely expensive and exploitive of the drivers.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Burning_Monk posted:

The medallions were also artificially limited, extremely expensive and exploitive of the drivers.

yes, artificial limits are the entire purpose of it, like i said, to put a cap on the number of taxis in circulation because as it happens, objectively and in reality, this leads to increased traffic congestion

turns out though you can be just as exploitative to drivers without medallions so i guess thats progress, finding newer and faster ways to gently caress people over without even getting any public benefit out of it

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

yes, artificial limits are the entire purpose of it, like i said, to put a cap on the number of taxis in circulation because as it happens, objectively and in reality, this leads to increased traffic congestion

turns out though you can be just as exploitative to drivers without medallions so i guess thats progress, finding newer and faster ways to gently caress people over without even getting any public benefit out of it

Yes, pretty much all the gig industry is exploitive. But the taxi medallion system was a whole level above of badness.

"Since many cab drivers took out loans in order to afford medallions when values were high, many have subsequently been forced to declare bankruptcy. In September 2020, Marblegate Management LLC, the largest holder of NYC medallion loans, decided to write off $70 million in debt that indigent cab drivers still owed."

Simple taxi drivers had $70 million in debt in NYC alone because of these medallions being priced so artificially high.

Trumps own upstanding and totally not a sleezeball lawyer, Michael Cohen, was forced to give up $22 million worth of taxi medallions. That just shows you a tip of the corruption iceberg.

And that doesn't even get into the reality... there weren't enough taxi's before Uber/Lyft. I've got some horror stories of trying to hail taxi's in SF.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

Did you ever find out

Can confirm they found it

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Burning_Monk posted:

"Since many cab drivers took out loans in order to afford medallions when values were high, many have subsequently been forced to declare bankruptcy. In September 2020, Marblegate Management LLC, the largest holder of NYC medallion loans, decided to write off $70 million in debt that indigent cab drivers still owed."

Simple taxi drivers had $70 million in debt in NYC alone because of these medallions being priced so artificially high.

the reason they had to write that debt off was because of deliberate disruption by companies like uber side stepping regulations and leaving people who worked within the system holding unsustainable debt. meanwhile, uber was pushing its own unsustainable debt onto its own drivers by pushing subprime loans to attract new exploitable labor

your arguments might be more persuasive if they weren't being made in defense of a replacement system that exacerbated all of these exact same problems it was marketed as solving. "i've had problems with taxis. what if we set up a different system that was even worse for labor rights and the public, but made venture capital a lot of money, wouldn't that be better?" is not really compelling stuff

bay area tech culture poisons everything it touches as it tries to demolish existing health and safety regulations for the sake of reinventing the wheel, but as a monthly service

Burning_Monk posted:

And that doesn't even get into the reality... there weren't enough taxi's before Uber/Lyft. I've got some horror stories of trying to hail taxi's in SF.

sure, people are getting hosed over, but it's pretty convenient for me, so...

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 22, 2022

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

the reason they had to write that debt off was because of deliberate disruption by companies like uber side stepping regulations and leaving people who worked within the system holding unsustainable debt. meanwhile, uber was pushing its own unsustainable debt onto its own drivers by pushing subprime loans to attract new exploitable labor

your arguments might be more persuasive if they weren't being made in defense of a replacement system that exacerbated all of these exact same problems it was marketed as solving. "i've had problems with taxis. what if we set up a different system that was even worse for labor rights and the public, but made venture capital a lot of money, wouldn't that be better?" is not really compelling stuff

bay area tech culture poisons everything it touches as it tries to demolish existing health and safety regulations for the sake of reinventing the wheel, but as a monthly service

sure, people are getting hosed over, but it's pretty convenient for me, so...

Both systems are bad, the new system actually allows consumers to reliably use the service

Why are you defending this lovely system

Literally no one is saying that Uber is objectively good

Are you Michael Cohen

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ante posted:

Why are you defending this lovely system

i guess i'm just not feeling like being a bootlicker for global capital today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

i guess i'm just not feeling like being a bootlicker for global capital today

While promoting the Taxi Medallion system... the shade if coming from the thread again.