Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Harold Fjord posted:

Recently studied the statistical map behind this and it is impressive how much you can obtain from just handfuls of samples

Here’s a link to a calculator for statistical confidence:

https://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm

For a population of 100,000,000 with a confidence interval of 2 you get a 95% confidence with a sample size of 2401.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

VideoGameVet posted:

Here’s a link to a calculator for statistical confidence:

https://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm

For a population of 100,000,000 with a confidence interval of 2 you get a 95% confidence with a sample size of 2401.

5% of the population creating 95% of the posts because they're automated and faster than any group of humans amirite
And they keep trying to add more of them, too

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Hey everyone, remember that p-values do not mean the probability of an effect being real. A positive conclusion based on a p-value of 0.05 can easily have >50% of being wrong, depending on the prior, sample size, effect size, and whether bad things like multiple comparisons without correction were done.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Anyone happen to have an article/Twitter post where tech bros accidentally reinvented the public library?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Mister Facetious posted:

Anyone happen to have an article/Twitter post where tech bros accidentally reinvented the public library?

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-Netflix-renting-equivalent-for-books

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Thanks! :tipshat:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/HPSupport/status/1550091103679836161

:thermidor:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

As if there wasn't already enough incentive to move to a paperless existence.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If they can just replace the cartridge with a regular one, then what’s the big deal? I’m confused about how this Instant Ink works.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Vegetable posted:

If they can just replace the cartridge with a regular one, then what’s the big deal? I’m confused about how this Instant Ink works.

With instant ink you're paying for time, not the ink.
Like (using their example) if it's midnight your phone might shut off because it's the next day Ina new month but you might still have 23% battery.
But it's also why I have the dumbest printer I could find: my printer doesn't need to be taking to HP. Let alone scanning ink cartridges, telling HP if I'm using their special ones or even their approved ones.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

With instant ink you're paying for time, not the ink.
Like (using their example) if it's midnight your phone might shut off because it's the next day Ina new month but you might still have 23% battery.
But it's also why I have the dumbest printer I could find: my printer doesn't need to be taking to HP. Let alone scanning ink cartridges, telling HP if I'm using their special ones or even their approved ones.

That's why they added "expiry" dates; to cover for people like you. "Didn't use all the ink in your cartridge by X date from activation? Too bad, buy a new one anyway."

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Vegetable posted:

It's a subscription service where you pay a monthly fee to HP, and in return they monitor your printer remotely and send you free high-capacity ink cartridges whenever your run out.

HP's determined to make sure it's not too good a deal, though. Instant Ink works like a cellphone plan, where you have a monthly cap on how much you can use the printer, and you pay overage fees if you exceed the cap. Moreover, if you miss a payment or cancel the service, the free ink cartridge stops working immediately, even if there's still ink in it. And naturally, the printer needs to be connected to the internet so it can check if you've paid up, or else it'll refuse to work.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
In 20 years I've never run out of ink, I doubt I got below 90% capacity before the cartridge dried out. Hence I moved to a laser printer.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Some companies are worse than others. Never ever buy an HP printer. They are absolutely dog poo poo.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I fully support printer companies making their products so hostile to their customers that people give up on printing

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

I fully support printer companies making their products so hostile to their customers that people give up on printing

amazon needs to sell printer buyers the loaded gun as an add-on at checkout

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
https://twitter.com/OliZombieweasel/status/1550148785371856897

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Investing in a $200 "dumb" laser printer is something I recommend to everyone. Its just so much easier in the long run than dealing with crappy HP or whatever inkjets.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Yeah once my HP ink cartridges started drying out in less than a year I figured it was time to dump that whole scam and just got a laser printer too. Also lol that HP ink printers need to "clean" the cartridges constantly, like on every startup, wasting even more ink every time.

Oh yeah I still use the HP printer/scanner for scanning and it bitches about not having ink on startup every time and I have to confirm it before I can scan, what a loving terrible product. I at least got it for free from someone else who didn't want to deal with it.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 22, 2022

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Blut posted:

Investing in a $200 "dumb" laser printer is something I recommend to everyone. Its just so much easier in the long run than dealing with crappy HP or whatever inkjets.

I paid 50$ for mine at Staples during a sale like five years ago and it works great. I guess now the ones they deep discount are probably full of ink DRM bullshit now, though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Blut posted:

Yeah we have a 5+ year old Samsung Color laser and its saved us so much on ink, helps that I hate Inkjets in the firstplace.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

When I worked in a court reporter office, every court reporter had their own personal printers which they printed hundreds of pages from a day. Most of them had Brother Printers which seemed pretty reliable. I got one myself years later and it's pretty good and has given me far less problems than HP ever did.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I've got a cheaper Brother laserjet I got after I got sick of inkjet bullshit, it's fantastic. Dumb and reliable, and at my volume just the partial toner cart it comes with will probably last me the lifetime of the printer. I wouldn't even mind inkjets but it's incredible the amount of pain in the rear end stuff they've managed to tack onto a system that was already a bit of a pain in the rear end at the best of times.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I also made the move from HP to Brother and haven't looked back. It's a lot more expensive, but it's kinda nice to have a printer that works when you want it to. With the HP thing I had before it was like I had to reconfigure the drat thing from scratch if I didn't use it for a few weeks.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Before I got the Brother Printer and I needed to print something, I had to prepare for the emotional pain of trying to negotiate between my computer and the printer.

Now if I need to print something, I click print and it spits out the sheet of paper with the words I wanted on it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah we have a 5+ year old Samsung Color laser and its saved us so much on ink, helps that I hate Inkjets in the firstplace.

I got a black in white Samsung in like 2009 that I had to replace the toner on for the first time a couple years ago. I had to order the toner off Amazon and didn't realize it was a two pack, so I'm basically set for life.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Blut posted:

Yeah, I got some old Laserjet that's like 15 years old at this point and still runs like a charm. drat thing is indestructible, easy to use, and the toner lasts forever.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

When I worked in a court reporter office, every court reporter had their own personal printers which they printed hundreds of pages from a day. Most of them had Brother Printers which seemed pretty reliable. I got one myself years later and it's pretty good and has given me far less problems than HP ever did.

Brother also doesn't completely rip you off on genuine toner cartridges.

I'm all about remanufactured toner, but you need to know who you're ordering it from because a lot of it is poo poo and will mess up your printer badly enough to need hours of cleaning.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Blut posted:

Got mine for 20 euros off facebook, a brother.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Yeah I think we’re on our eighth year of Brother-laser-printering, after a run where I had to replace whatever inkjet we had every 18 months. We’ve replaced the toner once in that time. The original pushback from my wife was “how will I print photos?” The answer to which was “at the Walgreen’s down the street, it’ll cost about the same and they’ll look nicer too.” And that ended up being true. 99% of what we print now is coloring pages for my 6 year old anyways, and the other 1% is stuff for my wife’s work as a wedding planner, and none of that has to be in color.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
My HP Laserjet died :(

Now I only print at work :twisted:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Having worked in IT I irrationally hate Brother printers. I've never had good experiences with them, the drivers and installers will occasionally whoopsy system files and muscle out drivers from other brands.

Typically given the choice I go with xerox or Konica Minolta anymore.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

Having worked in IT I irrationally hate Brother printers. I've never had good experiences with them, the drivers and installers will occasionally whoopsy system files and muscle out drivers from other brands.

JFC don't install Brother drivers. They're as bad as HP printer drivers, just not quite as big.

Any "modern" operating system (including windows 10 and that last many versions of OS X) should be able to print to a brother printer just fine, including duplexing and even scanning without any of their poo poo drivers.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

These aren't the smart sunglasses that overheat, so uh... is this an AI generated bundle? And no, there's not even a discount compared to buying the items separately.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I work part time for a printer after about 25 years of doing it full time to one degree or another and the small shop I help out just got a color copier/printer. It's just like the old one, interface wise, and my gripe with both of them is that they try to outsmart themselves. They make poo poo too complicated.

There's like 15 different sub menus with roughly 10 or 15 settings in each one and if ONE of them is off, the whole job is poo poo. That's not even counting the same god damned situation when you actually get the file sent to the printer server itself. It's loving maddening and, for some reason, when it fucks up and I have to resend it from the desktop, none of the previous settings are saved and it defaults back to whatever it wants to - even if I set it to "previous settings". Meaning, let's say I forgot to check one box. Instead of printing it again and clicking that box, I have to re-enter everything and THEN check that box.

I can't find a work around.

And while I'm ranting about printing: gently caress ADOBE. They make (made) amazing software but it's increasingly bloated, non user friendly, incompatible with anything older than 5 years and they release a new version every year whether you need or not. They change poo poo just to change it and move stuff around the menus for no reason. Keyboard shortcuts get remapped. Color values and text flow engines get altered for no good reason which leads to situations where if you are reprinting a job for a customer, the type and line breaks can change (or cut off altogether) and a logo that's been using the same color build for 15 years will suddenly look different.

They introduce all this new stuff that nobody loving asked for (near as I can tell) and set every app to default to that. So usually, a year later when I finally get my poo poo set up how I like it, here comes Creative Cloud 2023 and it fucks my poo poo up all over again. Also, typically, the default settings are 95% of the time not what 95% of the people would want to use. Dimensions/rulers set in picas and image size in Photoshop set in pixels, not inches. Brand new default color palettes. Things like that.

Frequently, since it's subscription based, it will tell you're not signed in when you are so you can's do anything except restart. There are hundreds of forums with millions of posts bitching about stuff not working and usually really stupid workarounds. Adobe's solution is to always "upgrade" to the newest version of everything when usually that caused the loving problem in the first place. Or they blame Apple or Microsoft. This software is supposed to make things easier, not more complicated but Adobe quite often has made effectively makes me LESS PRODUCTIVE at my job.

My managers don't understand because, in their mind, I have been given state of the art brand new software. For which I am the bug tester I guess.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

QuarkXPress > InDesign.

There, I said it. Get hosed, Adobe.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I have a brother printer where my 1st tank of ink toner/dust last for several years, and then my 2nd one just happen to ruin out during the Roni times, this 3rd tank will last to the 30s or when the grid/computer network dies.

anyway I would like a triple cheese and some nuggests please.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Antigravitas posted:

QuarkXPress > InDesign.

There, I said it. Get hosed, Adobe.

Ehhh...I dunno.

For a long time Quark was the only option so they were very lazy and there was a ton of poo poo in their software that was stupid or straight up didn't work. You couldn't align objects, measure from the center, colors were set to default RGB (bad for printing), you couldn't place certain file types, view color seps, the "font styles" menu rarely worked (Helvetica Bold Italic BOLD ITALIC) , transperencies were a nightmare, license keys (oh god), etc. You couldn't place a pdf file or even export one worth a poo poo. There was no "collect job" feature for a good while. They were the only game in town though so you dealt with it and then InDesign gradually started to kick their rear end and give designers poo poo they wanted and that WORKED somewhere around Creative Suite 2.

But now it's Adobe with basically a monopoly and we have the same issues again because no real competition. All they have to do is leave it the hell alone and count money but they keep loving with it and driving users who gently caress up runs through no fault of their own absolutely insane. I've heard Quark has improved a great deal but I haven't used it much in the last 10 or 20 years so I don't know.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I'll take license keys over Creative Cloud any day.

I haven't been in the industry for years but I was there when Adobe switched to a subscription model and it sucked so much. The prospect of having the company hold your documents hostage if you don't pay them monthly forever is just so bad, and their CC garbage for the longest time couldn't deal with publishing houses. Not every workstation has unfettered Internet access for a reason.

I've worked with Quark Publishing Platform and the InDesign equivalent was… idk, Woodwing? Some miserable pile of PHP with exotic dependencies. Like banging rocks together.

Glad I'm out of that industry tbh., working with Quark wasn't exactly fun either.

Better than Adobe though. gently caress Adobe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Quark deserved to die. Adobe’s not great, but there was no company more hostile to its own users than Quark. I’ll give Tim Gill credit for loving off before poo poo got bad and using his millions to further LGBTQ rights in this country, but he still approved Fred’s lovely business practices. I was in the raster image processor business for 15 years (we made the interpreters that actually take PS/PDF and output them to film or plate) and they were by far the worst company we had to deal with on a regular basis.

InDesign may be riddled with bugs of its own, but it never wrote 129k point invisible objects. Adobe at least tries. Maybe that’s worse in an “at least with enemies you know where you stand” sort of way, but the sad story of print production is that it’s always been a struggle. There’s never been a time when things have “just worked” or been stable. “Exact reprints” that aren’t based on the same raster data are never truly exact, but the last render once output many workflow died a decade ago and people have moved on.

Antigravitas posted:

I'll take license keys over Creative Cloud any day.

You don’t want 1990s Quark dongle hell, trust me.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 22, 2022