Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Didn't GW recently have to change a Cawdor dude with similar hoods to the flagellant/firebrand dudes because ppl said it looked like the KKK?

Cowards, one and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

sasha_d3ath posted:

Didn't GW recently have to change a Cawdor dude with similar hoods to the flagellant/firebrand dudes because ppl said it looked like the KKK?

Cowards, one and all.

"recently" in the sense that people criticized the ones from 1997 for that, and in april of last year GW released a new line of redemptionists that doesn't have cone-shaped hoods

it was a change for the better

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

"recently" in the sense that people criticized the ones from 1997 for that, and in april of last year GW released a new line of redemptionists that doesn't have cone-shaped hoods

nah, they previewed the Cawdor Executioner with a hood in '18, then removed it before release

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Winklebottom posted:

nah, they previewed the Cawdor Executioner with a hood in '18, then removed it before release

Yeah, I definitely like the newer/right-most option better. Although I don't know about you, but I like the left one's rustbucket axe way more than that weird shiny version the right guy has.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Winklebottom posted:

oh, i didn't realize there was a model in the original newcromunda line that had that problem

definitely a change for the better

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

Hoods AND nooses, no less.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
"yeah let's also cut one of those nooses. no, no need to remove them all"

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Hood + three nooses seems a little suspect. A hair short of their axe having 1488 on it.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

"yeah let's also cut one of those nooses. no, no need to remove them all"

Supposedly the argument was that having ONE noose meant that it could conceivably be meant for the person itself as a sign of their penitence - 'already dead in service of the emperor' or something like that. Having multiple nooses meant it was unambiguously for the purpose of lynching other people. I'm not entirely sure I buy it, the whole Cawdor / Redemptionist line and vibe really squicks me out, but that was the justification that seemed to be discussed at the time.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

“Will nodded toward Hadrian. “Look at the nooses he’s carrying. A man wearing one—maybe he knows how to use it, maybe not. A man carries two—he probably don’t know nothing about nooses, but he wants you to think he does. But a man carrying three nooses—that’s a lot of weight. No one’s gonna haul that much rope around unless he makes a living using them.”

― Michael J. Sullivan, Theft of Nooses

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Man, those are some sweet Mordheim paintjobs.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
A thing to remember is that a lot of the sculptors are British so they may not have the cultural knowledge that it is a big yikes in other cultures rather than just edgy overly religious stuff.

For example in Britain calling a grown man boy is just condescending, in the US it has big racist overtones.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Yeah and in America calling someone a nob is just goofy but in England is a big yikes.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
also in britain when it gets hot they fill up their bins with ice water, hop in and have a lager

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Britian being a famously insular country that has never experienced cultures outside it's mine-filled channels and 700 foot ice walls (personally put up by Saint Boris) that surround - and separate - us from The Enemy

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Winklebottom posted:

I really don't care for this pose and just see it everywhere in GW stuff.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

My friends call it the Power Squat. Lotta old models have it as its easy to keep models standing like that when waiting for the glue to dry in the old days of metal minis.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah and in America calling someone a nob is just goofy but in England is a big yikes.

What no it isn't lol

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Moola posted:

What no it isn't lol

Years before I ever got to visit the UK, there were people I knew who claimed that you could swear like a drunken sailor and nobody would bat an eye, but the minute you used the phrase "bloody", even the hardest of blokes would drop their pint glass and gasp like you'd just summoned a demon

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hihohe posted:

My friends call it the Power Squat. Lotta old models have it as its easy to keep models standing like that when waiting for the glue to dry in the old days of metal minis.
It's also very straightforward to cast, you don't have to do weird sprue tricks

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

It's also just a very natural pose for someone to have while standing and carrying a heavy two-handed weapon.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I always figured the culture was still metal dudes trapped in the 80s and 90s so they based the pose on James Hetfield

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

sasha_d3ath posted:

Cowards, one and all.

Because it's cowardice to change something people are legitimately criticizing as unintentionally insensitive?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Years before I ever got to visit the UK, there were people I knew who claimed that you could swear like a drunken sailor and nobody would bat an eye, but the minute you used the phrase "bloody", even the hardest of blokes would drop their pint glass and gasp like you'd just summoned a demon

Lol that's wild

That's like saying hell or heck are the worst words you could use in the US

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Moola posted:

Lol that's wild

That's like saying hell or heck are the worst words you could use in the US

You best keep yer bony rear end outta my country, Moola. You done started an international incident...

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just anecdotally, I know more than one friend who was getting online when they were ten or so, in the nineties, and meeting another young kid from the UK on the internet, saying "bloody hell" as a joke, and then having the UK kid log off or leave chat, probably because they're sitting there with their parent or teacher. What's too offensive for a literal child being chaperoned might have left a misleading impression.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

Just anecdotally, I know more than one friend who was getting online when they were ten or so, in the nineties, and meeting another young kid from the UK on the internet, saying "bloody hell" as a joke, and then having the UK kid log off or leave chat, probably because they're sitting there with their parent or teacher. What's too offensive for a literal child being chaperoned might have left a misleading impression.

My Sophomore year in high school, my English teacher was British and one time a dude in class said 'bloody hell' and she gave him a look like she was telepathically sending him the message "You're lucky I can't beat the poo poo out of you."

Then again, we were constantly trying to rile her up over her Britishness so if I take her as indicative of the Brits then hooo boy, do Brits get huffy when you tell them "we drive on the right side of the road" or ask about their Mardi Gras plans.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Virtual Russian posted:

I really don't care for this pose and just see it everywhere in GW stuff.

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1546905723157811203

JcDent
May 13, 2013

OK, how is this Warmaster Revolution fight between pegasus knights and three units of orcs resolved?

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

what rock have you nerds been living under to fail at spotting a Frazetta homage

doesn't crop up so much just because it's easy to cast

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
i'm starting to think the posters in this thread might not know a lot about the UK

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

And we are glad for it

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JcDent posted:

OK, how is this Warmaster Revolution fight between pegasus knights and three units of orcs resolved?

Well, this is off the top of my head, and I'm not an expert, but:
1. Assuming the Orcs had a clear charge, the Orc units should have been placed to maximize frontage on the Knights. As such, only one unit should be fighting at the front. The second unit wouldn't have been able to see the Knights at that point, so they wouldn't have been able to charge into combat.
2. The flanking Orcs would have been affected by the head-on combat stands, so they probably would only have two stands in contact (not sure which unit charged first.)

In other words, the charges were pulled off incorrectly, assuming the lane was clear.

As for the current combat positions:
1. With the way the Orcs are split, you're looking at three separate engagements - essentially the charger (I assume the Orcs) gets to decide which unit attacks first. In this case, I would start with the flanking Orcs, because there are three stands vs. one. The Knights won't get support because they are touching the other Orc stands.
2. If the flanking Orcs win (likely), the Knights will fall back, directly away from the flank. They are flyers, so no pursuit. They probably won't be able to roll high enough to get away from the other units.
3. If the Knights win (unlikely), they might pursue, but I don't think they will be able to move very far, so they're still in contact with the other units.
4. Resolve combat with one of the remaining touching units - if the Knights survive, they'll flee directly away and the Orcs can't pursue. If they die, the Knights lose the character stand too.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 22, 2022

JcDent
May 13, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

Well, this is off the top of my head, and I'm not an expert, but:
1. Assuming the Orcs had a clear charge, the Orc units should have been placed to maximize frontage on the Knights. As such, only one unit should be fighting at the front. The second unit wouldn't have been able to see the Knights at that point, so they wouldn't have been able to charge into combat.
2. The flanking Orcs would have been affected by the head-on combat stands, so they probably would only have two stands in contact (not sure which unit charged first.)

In other words, the charges were pulled off incorrectly, assuming the lane was clear.

As for the current combat positions:
1. With the way the Orcs are split, you're looking at three separate engagements - essentially the charger (I assume the Orcs) gets to decide which unit attacks first. In this case, I would start with the flanking Orcs, because there are three stands vs. one. The Knights won't get support because they are touching the other Orc stands.
2. If the flanking Orcs win (likely), the Knights will fall back, directly away from the flank. They are flyers, so no pursuit. They probably won't be able to roll high enough to get away from the other units.
3. If the Knights win (unlikely), they might pursue, but I don't think they will be able to move very far, so they're still in contact with the other units.
4. Resolve combat with one of the remaining touching units - if the Knights survive, they'll flee directly away and the Orcs can't pursue. If they die, the Knights lose the character stand too.

Thanks!

Yeah, figuring out charging and positioning is a doozy.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

You best keep yer bony rear end outta my country, Moola. You done started an international incident...

heck!

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Only thing I know about the UaK is by watching other people get it wrong. Don't ask someone from Wales or Scotland "Are you British?"

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Floppychop posted:

Only thing I know about the UaK is by watching other people get it wrong. Don't ask someone from Wales or Scotland "Are you British?"

Poor Northern Ireland, always left out.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They might just say "yes". Don't ask them if they're English though.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Assessor of Maat posted:

what rock have you nerds been living under to fail at spotting a Frazetta homage

doesn't crop up so much just because it's easy to cast

he's gonna stab himself right in the dick as soon as he bends over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's where all the blood is from.