Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Anime is poison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
True. If I was going to make more Aubrey Maturin films or television I'd try to get the HMS Rose out again because A: she's a regular sailor and B: she's downright gorgeous. But my heart knows that any new stuff will cut corners by using poorly composited CGI outsourced to three dozen overworked VFX houses. It's not that there's no craft to CGI, but it is clear that the industry is a mill that grinds talent into dust and it's affecting the final product.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

withak posted:

Anime is poison.

This is a cursed monkey paw wish being granted.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mods read the King's Laws and then flog these weebs.

*touches knuckle to forehead*

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

freebooter posted:

For sure but it's weird the death happened almost but not quite at the end of the Napoleonic wars

I'm glad it apparently crops up in the next (last!) book, however subtly; in The Hundred Days it's barely mentioned apart from the event itself

20 years was a long time ago and the age of good films is over. My dream is now for an HBO series with a few books per season and a Game of Thrones level budget. Which I actually think would be a goer, if not for the fact that producers would immediately blanche at the notion of period-drama on-water filming and all the hassles and dramas involved in that.

In the modern TV era it would be really, really hard to do a show where female leads show up two episodes a year.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Arglebargle III posted:

In the modern TV era it would be really, really hard to do a show where female leads show up two episodes a year.

Parallel shorebound and at sea storylines. The whole season is the women undoing all the damage their husbands did when they were on shore for 6 weeks 2 years ago. Season ends with Jack banging open the door, Sophie we're saved, there's silver in the hills!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I've finally gotten around to reading this, and while I'm only a very little way into the first
book, I'm enjoying the vibe so far! Only one concern: I've just gotten to the part where Mr Baldick gives descriptions of the remaining crew of the Sophie, and his note about Mr Marshall's "buggery" makes me concerned about how a gay (?) character will be handled in a book published in 1969 and taking place in 1800. I'm not exactly hoping for great representation or anything, and I'll end up reading the book one way or another, but I'm not in the mood for like, the Villainous Bisexual or something of that nature at the moment. How much should I be steeling myself?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Kestral posted:

I've finally gotten around to reading this, and while I'm only a very little way into the first
book, I'm enjoying the vibe so far! Only one concern: I've just gotten to the part where Mr Baldick gives descriptions of the remaining crew of the Sophie, and his note about Mr Marshall's "buggery" makes me concerned about how a gay (?) character will be handled in a book published in 1969 and taking place in 1800. I'm not exactly hoping for great representation or anything, and I'll end up reading the book one way or another, but I'm not in the mood for like, the Villainous Bisexual or something of that nature at the moment. How much should I be steeling myself?
It’s handled quite well I think for 1969. If you can handle the word ‘buggery’ you’ll be fine. As I gay man I was never uncomfortable reading the books. Keep in mind though that they are written very much about 18th century characters with 18th century outlooks and mores, not essentially modern characters transplanted to 1797, as is often the case with historical fiction. It’s a hard and beautiful but occasionally brutal world. To me, the fact that the characters are so much of their time is what makes the series so special.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kestral posted:

It's fine. The narrator and main characters are sympathetic to homosexual characters even if society isn't. Really, as a Tory who runs a tight ship you'd think Jack would have harsher views but he's always willing to like so I suppose it fits his character.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It’s handled quite well I think for 1969. If you can handle the word ‘buggery’ you’ll be fine. As I gay man I was never uncomfortable reading the books. Keep in mind though that they are written very much about 18th century characters with 18th century outlooks and mores, not essentially modern characters transplanted to 1797, as is often the case with historical fiction. It’s a hard and beautiful but occasionally brutal world. To me, the fact that the characters are so much of their time is what makes the series so special.

Arglebargle III posted:

It's fine. The narrator and main characters are sympathetic to homosexual characters even if society isn't. Really, as a Tory who runs a tight ship you'd think Jack would have harsher views but he's always willing to like so I suppose it fits his character.

Perfect, thanks! I can handle period-appropriate depictions as long as the author isn't deliberately mean-spirited about it, like the old Sinister Bisexual trope. Now I just have to print out a cheat sheet of nautical terminology to reference while I listen to the audiobook, oh my god words

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Part of the fun is being just as confused about how a ship works as Dr. Maturin. After about 6 books you’ll start to understand what’s going on.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
If anything the books sometimes veer hard into Robert Eggers-style alien historiography where one character is "charmed" by another's pederasty or whatever. But I'm only halfway through the series so I can't vouch for how things go in the latter half. If anything it's a nice reminder for me (if one were needed) that despite my love of the main cast of characters we're still talking about the totally rotten social order of 19th century Britain. With few exceptions most characters behave consistently within the context of their time period and class, which makes for some uncanny reading at times.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 23, 2022

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I found it very realistic that Jack disagrees with Stephen about slavery and resolves this issue by never bringing it up around Stephen for 20 years. I also think it's realistic that the British are ambivalent about slavery: willing to tolerate it in foreigners but also fiercely proud of the idea that setting foot on British ships or land makes a slave free. You see both perspectives in the books, from English aristocrats who can quote contemporary authors on the moral benefits of slavery (and Killick who is perfectly happy to buy a woman) to common sailors who turn down prize money because it would shame England to not free captured slaves, to men like Maturin who are angry abolitionists.

Jack sees slavery as an uncomfortable theoretical discussion and doesn't get on Stephen's wavelength until he's assigned to the West Africa squadron and has to witness it up clsoe.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 23, 2022

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Kestral posted:

Perfect, thanks! I can handle period-appropriate depictions as long as the author isn't deliberately mean-spirited about it, like the old Sinister Bisexual trope. Now I just have to print out a cheat sheet of nautical terminology to reference while I listen to the audiobook, oh my god words

There are a few evil gays later in the series, and I think it's at least intimated that some characters (not Jack or Stephen) attribute their evil to their sexuality, but by and large (note: phrase of nautical origin) I think the authorial viewpoint is pretty drat liberated for its time. Mr Marshall in particular is cast as one of the more sympathetic officers of the Sophie and, while he's not infrequently a source of comedy, that derives more from his Scottish accent than his sexuality. I can recall one officer a little later in the series whose sexuality is an open secret in the Navy; Jack only disapproves of him because he has affairs with men under his command, thereby undermining ship's discipline and efficiency.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Amazon or Netflix series adapting 2-3 books per season would be ideal, but it’s such a niche subject. People like us ITT love it but really there aren’t too many of us.

Also filming on the water is insanely challenging and difficult. So you guys saying it would have to be a ton of VFX are right.

It may be a bit too pessimistic, but I think the best we might hope for is a feature film about the life of Lord Nelson* or something like that. A large studio might view a big-budget period piece single film, as a better possibility for profit than a cable series.

*- I may or may not have been half-heartedly working on something like this for a few years

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Call it Victory on the Nile and market it to Agatha Christie fans who don't know better.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

At one point Jack says something like he thinks it is bad for discipline but he doesn't like to see an otherwise good sailor punished for it.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Kestral posted:

As others have said, where gay men appear in the series the main protagonists are invariably tolerant of their sexuality, although as you'd expect in the time period, the rules of their society don't let anything be expressed freely. From a modern point of view Jack's position would be unacceptable, since as an authority figure he helps sanction men for what we now know to be perfectly fine, and his views and language around homosexuality are outdated. But both he and Stephen are shown to hold nothing personally against anyone they know or believe to be gay, and characters who do exhibit serious homophobic behaviour are mostly shown to be thicko bigots. There are a few instances of casual homophobic language I suppose, seamen calling each other buggers as a term of abuse etc.

Mr Marshall for example is treated sympathetically, the main impact of his sexuality on the character and plot is centred on the fear of exposure and the personal strain that places on him. Interested to hear your view once you've read the book.

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

There are a few evil gays later in the series, and I think it's at least intimated that some characters (not Jack or Stephen) attribute their evil to their sexuality, but by and large (note: phrase of nautical origin) I think the authorial viewpoint is pretty drat liberated for its time. Mr Marshall in particular is cast as one of the more sympathetic officers of the Sophie and, while he's not infrequently a source of comedy, that derives more from his Scottish accent than his sexuality. I can recall one officer a little later in the series whose sexuality is an open secret in the Navy; Jack only disapproves of him because he has affairs with men under his command, thereby undermining ship's discipline and efficiency.

Reference the 'evil gays', yes there are two men who are in a relationship together who are villains, but they never exhibit any of the markers commonly seen on page or screen of that trope. They never leer over any straight men or exhibit particularly predatory behaviour. Sexuality does play a role in the spy intrigue that leads to their downfall, but really I think the fact they're gay is mostly in there as a marker which explains, partly, why they are willing to put themselves beyond the pale of their (British upper-class) society and become villains.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

freebooter posted:

For sure but it's weird the death happened almost but not quite at the end of the Napoleonic wars

I'm glad it apparently crops up in the next (last!) book, however subtly; in The Hundred Days it's barely mentioned apart from the event itself

20 years was a long time ago and the age of good films is over. My dream is now for an HBO series with a few books per season and a Game of Thrones level budget. Which I actually think would be a goer, if not for the fact that producers would immediately blanche at the notion of period-drama on-water filming and all the hassles and dramas involved in that.

Yeah I’d absolutely prefer it to be done high budget streaming show style. 12 episodes a season. I reckon you could do the first 2 books in season 1 - very possibly 3 but that might be a stretch because 3 is quite packed from memory.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

withak posted:

At one point Jack says something like he thinks it is bad for discipline but he doesn't like to see an otherwise good sailor punished for it.

And that, IIRC, is specifically because it's a captain having relations with a member of his crew, which definitely is something likely to give rise to problems. Interestingly, he paints the crew as generally thinking their captain is a good one despite his inclination, and one of the officers fights a duel with an officer of another ship who insulted the captain. I cannot for the life of me remember what book this all takes place in, somewhere in the middle of the series I think.

I think for an author writing in the mid-to-later part of the 20th century, aiming to provide a realistic window into the early part of the 19th century, it's quite progressive.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Kylaer posted:

And that, IIRC, is specifically because it's a captain having relations with a member of his crew, which definitely is something likely to give rise to problems. Interestingly, he paints the crew as generally thinking their captain is a good one despite his inclination, and one of the officers fights a duel with an officer of another ship who insulted the captain. I cannot for the life of me remember what book this all takes place in, somewhere in the middle of the series I think.

I think for an author writing in the mid-to-later part of the 20th century, aiming to provide a realistic window into the early part of the 19th century, it's quite progressive.

Book 4.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Genghis Cohen posted:

Reference the 'evil gays', yes there are two men who are in a relationship together who are villains, but they never exhibit any of the markers commonly seen on page or screen of that trope. They never leer over any straight men or exhibit particularly predatory behaviour. Sexuality does play a role in the spy intrigue that leads to their downfall, but really I think the fact they're gay is mostly in there as a marker which explains, partly, why they are willing to put themselves beyond the pale of their (British upper-class) society and become villains.

I was being a little flip, there, but I pretty much agree with this. I thought it might be worth noting for two of the major antagonists of the series, though. It's something a reader could take issue with, even if you and I wouldn't.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Yeah I’d absolutely prefer it to be done high budget streaming show style. 12 episodes a season. I reckon you could do the first 2 books in season 1 - very possibly 3 but that might be a stretch because 3 is quite packed from memory.

I reckon you could get those 3 books into a 12-episode season of 60 or even 40 minutes each. All the best TV series these days know how to edit well. And if GOT was given the budget to shoot on location in Iceland, I reckon you can get away with passing off most of the Mediterranean as itself and then using Morocco and the Canaries as a stand-in for India and Malaysia respectively, with the help of a lot of Mandalorian-style next-level green screening. Once the series starts getting buzz around season 3 you can DEMAND on-location shooting in the South Pacific, Kiribati will be grateful for the economic boost.

I'd also be inclined to cut or at least postpone The Mauritius Command. I feel like O'Brien wrote that without an inkling that he was going to write another 16 books in the series and it feels off, narrative-arc-wise, for Aubrey to be temporarily promoted to commodore that early in the overall story... and then promptly demoted and finding himself at the beginning of a long string of authorial excuses to stymie any further promotion that might see him behind a desk instead of chasing privateers around the Horn.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

freebooter posted:

I reckon you could get those 3 books into a 12-episode season of 60 or even 40 minutes each. All the best TV series these days know how to edit well. And if GOT was given the budget to shoot on location in Iceland, I reckon you can get away with passing off most of the Mediterranean as itself and then using Morocco and the Canaries as a stand-in for India and Malaysia respectively, with the help of a lot of Mandalorian-style next-level green screening. Once the series starts getting buzz around season 3 you can DEMAND on-location shooting in the South Pacific, Kiribati will be grateful for the economic boost.

I'd also be inclined to cut or at least postpone The Mauritius Command. I feel like O'Brien wrote that without an inkling that he was going to write another 16 books in the series and it feels off, narrative-arc-wise, for Aubrey to be temporarily promoted to commodore that early in the overall story... and then promptly demoted and finding himself at the beginning of a long string of authorial excuses to stymie any further promotion that might see him behind a desk instead of chasing privateers around the Horn.

It’s authentic though - commodore wasn’t a rank during that time period, strictly speaking, it was a position. When a captain was put in charge of several ships, they were appointed commodore so that they’d be superior to the captains they were ordering around. Then once the assignment was over they went back to being regular captains. This was perfectly normal and explained in the book.

It’s also imo one of the best books in the series, would be nice to do it in season 2.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The other big problem is that a show of these books would be seen, at least by studios, as having limited appeal to non cis-white-male audiences. You're making a regency show but it's not a romance and it is on water and there are few women and few people of color in major roles.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They could gender-flip Doctor Maturin. And make Mrs. Aubrey black.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
From CD general chat:

lmao :sickos:

PlushCow fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 24, 2022

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That wasn’t very nice.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

withak posted:

That wasn’t very nice.

I know cruel to end on Reverse of the Medal

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
For a moment, i believed

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Would have been weird to start on book 2

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Kylaer posted:

No, sorry, this is from The Commodore, which must be book 17. Captain Duff of the Stately.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Genghis Cohen posted:

No, sorry, this is from The Commodore, which must be book 17. Captain Duff of the Stately.

I feel like something very similar happened in book 4 with the captains under Jack’s command.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

I feel like something very similar happened in book 4 with the captains under Jack’s command.

You might be thinking of Clonfert's competition with other captains and their inability to work together smoothly? I don't think there were any sodomitical practices though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Genghis Cohen posted:

You might be thinking of Clonfert's competition with other captains and their inability to work together smoothly? I don't think there were any sodomitical practices though.

I was sure there was some subtext there with Clonfert.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The Lord Bude posted:

I was sure there was some subtext there with Clonfert.
He very much curried favor with his crew and wanted desperately to be liked by his crew (to the point of undermining disciple), but I don’t remember anything homosexual about it. It’s been a while since I read it though.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

I feel like there was something along those lines regarding the ship they pick up (all grown up) Richardson from, but I can't quite place it.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I think Clonfert desperately wanted to be a hero but didn't have the understanding, the personality, or the luck to pull it off. I don't remember anything related to sexuality being involved.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Kylaer posted:

I think Clonfert desperately wanted to be a hero but didn't have the understanding, the personality, or the luck to pull it off. I don't remember anything related to sexuality being involved.

I'm just reading (audiobooking) it, and it's explicitly non-sexual jealousy. Stephen asks Clonfert's doctor, McAdams, if there's any indication of (a latin phrase I don't recall but is something like "the evil sin that among Christians is not named") and McAdams says that there's "repeated venereal contact with the opposite sex" but that there's no sexual aspect to his fixation on competing with Jack and other men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

Boston goons itt: The USS Constitution Musuem is doing free, first come first served, movies on the spar deck of the USS Constitution weekly starting August 20th. August 26th is Master and Commander.

https://ussconstitutionmuseum.org/events/summer-movie-nights-master-and-commander/