Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Wow, Disney's going all out:

https://twitter.com/darkhorizons/status/1551097462936715264

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You're going to break some poor History Dad's heart!!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Bogus Adventure posted:

I'm more concerned about what they will do for Martin. He's an irreplaceable part of that show.

Every time they mention him or when he would usually just chime in it cuts to his empty recliner and a sad stinger plays. After a few seconds it cuts back to Niles and Frasier looking distracted and upset, one of them then sighs heavily before the scene resumes.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Bogus Adventure posted:

I'm more concerned about what they will do for Martin. He's an irreplaceable part of that show.

Who is your fan casting for a replacement? I was going to say Crispin Glover but it turns out that he is younger and Kelsey Grammer older than I expected.

gently caress it, go with some old age makeup.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
To the Frasier thread!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The good timeline

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

feedmyleg posted:

You're going to break some poor History Dad's heart!!

It’s me I’m the heartbroken history dad.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

quoted in the book thread :hmmyes:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

What aspect ratio is Nope in? I'm in a poo poo rear end theater and it's being hugely overprojected with at least the sides being cut off. Screen is set up in 1.85:1 ratio.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This is what’s going on at comicon in the watchmen universe.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

What aspect ratio is Nope in? I'm in a poo poo rear end theater and it's being hugely overprojected with at least the sides being cut off. Screen is set up in 1.85:1 ratio.

It changes aspect ratios. Some scenes were filmed in IMAX so they have 1.43, and according to IMDB other scenes have 1.9 and then the rest are at 2.2.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Haha this theater is such garbage. The movie was overprojected such that the entire thing was 1.85:1

Probably so the rural crowd here didn't complain about how the film was messed up or something.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
You know I tend not to like modern action movies but I thought The Gray Man was really fun and charming. Really pleasant surprise. Chris Evans is such a great villain.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

You know I tend not to like modern action movies but I thought The Gray Man was really fun and charming. Really pleasant surprise. Chris Evans is such a great villain.

It's generic as hell and doesn't really look like $200m (except for all the locations), plus it has two almost identical scenes of heroic sacrifice by secondary characters. But yeah it's a lot of fun, everyone is sexy and ripped, Chris Evans being evil is always a treat, probably the most I've liked Gosling since The Nice Guys.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's generic as hell and doesn't really look like $200m (except for all the locations), plus it has two almost identical scenes of heroic sacrifice by secondary characters. But yeah it's a lot of fun, everyone is sexy and ripped, Chris Evans being evil is always a treat, probably the most I've liked Gosling since The Nice Guys.

Lol I didn’t even register the double heroic suicide bombings. That’s hilarious. It’s also funny because the girl from Once Upon A Time in Hollywood has to basically reenact her meta-scene from that movie.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hold up everyone. Watching Grand Budapest and had to pause. Movies the only place I've seen a character pronounce valet correctly. Okay now continue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaius Marius posted:

Hold up everyone. Watching Grand Budapest and had to pause. Movies the only place I've seen a character pronounce valet correctly. Okay now continue.

Val-et, with the "t"? Downton Abbey and Gosford Park say it that way.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Skwirl posted:

it's all over Jeeves and Wooster too

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Yes the correct pronunciation. I'm sure the incest ridden, inbreed, aristocratic parasites across the Atlantic have maintained the word better, it's all they're good for.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 25, 2022

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
That's what Dracula keeps his credit cards in.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't understand. Tell me movie people. Why does Anderson spend so long making sure his sets look perfect and then direct his actors to say garbage dialogue while acting like they've just poo poo themselves and need to make a hasty retreat?

Are all his movies like that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't understand. Tell me movie people. Why does Anderson spend so long making sure his sets look perfect and then direct his actors to say garbage dialogue while acting like they've just poo poo themselves and need to make a hasty retreat?

Andersons's style is built on very carefully created sets and just as precise shot composition on those sets. He doesn't go for natural dialogue, and his characters tend to be repressing something or putting on an intentional artifice, so there's often an awkwardness to them. So if you don't like that, you probably won't be wild for his other movies.

But it is worth noting that Grand Budapest Hotel is by far the most extreme example of his style. The fact that the story is coming in like third hand, from Jude Law via the guys memories, is I think represented in how intensely artificial everything is during the main plot. So you might not bounce off his earlier movies. I kinda think a lot more people would've been less happy with Grand Budapest Hotel if they had, for lack of a better metaphor, built up a tolerance through his earlier movies.

Generally if people don't like Anderson except __________ the outlier is usually either Bottle Rocket, his first movie where his style is in it's infancy, or The Darjeeling Limited, his most naturalistic movie. Royal Tenenbaums is another possibility, since the carefully put together set is a visual representation of the family's word and their inability to mature, and the outside city is depicted much more like a real city. Also Gene Hackman giving possibly the best performance of his career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6l9lUPILgg

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Every time they mention him or when he would usually just chime in it cuts to his empty recliner and a sad stinger plays. After a few seconds it cuts back to Niles and Frasier looking distracted and upset, one of them then sighs heavily before the scene resumes.

They can do what the Travelling Wilburys did when Roy Orbison died before they could make their second music and just have him represented by a guitar in a rocking chair.

regulargonzalez posted:

Who is your fan casting for a replacement? I was going to say Crispin Glover but it turns out that he is younger and Kelsey Grammer older than I expected.

gently caress it, go with some old age makeup.

It's funny you'd say this because Crispin Glover was super pissed when they used poo poo like this to make it look like he was in BTTF 2 that he sued and a bunch of SAG rules ended up being changed.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I want to see more movies where everyone looks like regular people and they're all flabby and poo poo. Especially action movies. I want to see an action movie where the hero is some out of shape 38 year old that's not exactly ugly but not what's considered conventionally attractive and certainly not movie quality pretty. Just regular rear end people. Incidentally I think this poo poo is why people rag on Pete Davidson for his looks all the time. He's not ugly he just looks like a regular dude.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Skete can gently caress off

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Well I'm downloading all his movies so I'll report back eventually. I feel like I've always held a distaste for the man, and that it was based on seeing one of his films, but I'm not sure which one. Really the only crime I see is that the man can seemingly get these amazing actors, and then he uses them in such odd ways, using unnatraulized dialogue is fine to effect, one brought up the dialogue of Double Indemnity in another thread. The rapport that the MC and Stanwyck have is totally unreal, nobody no matter how much they press the tongue to the grindstone could be that sharp, and yet it is effective. GB felt more like watching a badly translated anime, of which I've seen many.

It was highly intriguing though, the fin de siecle early twentieth century period is my favorite so I worry that I bring my own love to the film and transfer it onto Anderson's work instead of his work speaking for itself. Idk we'll see what happens.

Ngl tho I thought her birthmark was just pastry cream of some sort all over her face in the first scene which makes this the unilaterally best movie to portray my profession, and it's amazing ability to totally cover you in loving sugary bullshit.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

This is an unfair assessment of the Resident Evil franchise.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What “garbage dialogue” are you talking about? Give examples.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.scripts.com/script/the_grand_budapest_hotel_587

Here you go

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay so what’s bad about it?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The fact that I don't like it

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
poo poo, it was so hot today that I thought to myself "I hope when I get shoved into the cattle car a couple years from now it's winter!".

coldtaxi
Jan 1, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Generally if people don't like Anderson except __________ the outlier is usually either Bottle Rocket, his first movie where his style is in it's infancy, or The Darjeeling Limited, his most naturalistic movie. Royal Tenenbaums is another possibility, since the carefully put together set is a visual representation of the family's word and their inability to mature, and the outside city is depicted much more like a real city. Also Gene Hackman giving possibly the best performance of his career.

I really think Rushmore is where Wes Anderson peaked, and for me at least it's the Rosetta Stone to his work or whatever, because the awkward artificiality and repression are so perfectly suited to a world being filtered through the mind of a 15-year-old poser. Moving on to almost entirely developmentally-arrested upper-class adults in his later movies loses a lot of the charm and the slightly off-kilter believability that Rushmore has.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Royal Tenenbaums is my fav of his, just rewatched that recently. That was what put him on the map with my friends at the time, got around to Rushmore a bit later.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
These days Rushmore is probably my favourite but man Wes has at least five all-timers including Tenenbaums and Budapest

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Watched The Gray Man (the Russo bros flick where Ryan Gosling is an ex-cia agent, based on Mark Greaney's book. Greaney co-wrote or ghost-wrote Tom Clancy books). It was not bad I guess, although a little plot-thin. The Prague action scenes are pretty good although I cannot tell whether it's all CGI or practical effects. Chris Evans didn't really get to show off his acting skills as a sociopath until the final fistfight, a scene which is so obviously "yeah it would rule to watch them duke it out for a bit, but nothing in this show should even allow this to happen" that they had to just go, ok we are men and we wanna fight so let's just do it haha.

I doubt this will be the franchise the show is hinting at at the end but it's a good timesink for an evening.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Has any Netflix film (not tv series) had a sequel? Enola Holmes was the only one I saw that made me want a sequel.

Fake Edit, googled it and they are making an Enola Holmes sequel. So, cool.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

David Warner died. I found out from the Baldur's Gate thread.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Skwirl posted:

Has any Netflix film (not tv series) had a sequel?

I feel like there's a new "to all the boys I've loved before" sequel every month

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/1551460574403641345?s=21&t=d0UYTY9Uy2sNg-mleamkgg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Aren't there like ten Netflix movies about Vanessa Hudgens being a Christmas princess?