Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Hannibal Rex posted:

Prince of Darkness is one of my top 3 Carpenters. I love scenarios based on the juxtaposition of a scientific worldview encountering supernatural events.

Also see Nigel Kneale, especially the Stone Tape and Quatermass and the Pit.

Carpenter actually wrote PoD under the pseudonym Martin Quatermass, hah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Also the main character wears a shirt that says Kneale University.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hannibal Rex posted:

Prince of Darkness is one of my top 3 Carpenters. I love scenarios based on the juxtaposition of a scientific worldview encountering supernatural events.

Also see Nigel Kneale, especially the Stone Tape and Quatermass and the Pit.

Top 3 Carpenters? Daaaaaaaaaamn.

Not contesting your right to your opinion, obviously, but shocked you have it so high. PoD owns, but it’s an incredibly crowded top of a list ; putting it there means knocking out at least one of Halloween, The Thing, The Fog, In the Mouth of Madness, Escape From New York, Big Trouble in Little China and then you have Starman off to the side being really good but kind of apples to oranges.

PoD is mid-tier Carpenter for me, next to like Christine, which is still much better than the majority of movies but top 3 among his output is high god drat praise.

Which, hey, if that’s your opinion maybe I’m wrong and it’s even better than I thought, I’ll happily give it another day in court, but it’s a monster swing to take.

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013
Trying to remember a movie I saw once super late at night as a kid:

Older but in color maybe early 60s/late 50s. Asian film with subtitles, I think Japanese but not 100% sure. A romance musical about a woman who falls in love with a guys who’s a jerk and gets him to shape up.

At one point an older woman (her mother?) is arguing with the female lead about the guy, and she says “but you don’t understand, he has a heart of stone!” And the older woman tells her “but you can melt that heart of stone”

At another the female lead sings a song to some birds and she’s saying a word in her language that sounds like “cha cha cha” a bunch, I think about how she is not unlike the birds but am not sure.

At another the guy is stuck in a cabin for some reason and realizes he loves her. He celebrates this by doing a song where he’s saying something like “YAHOO” or “YIPPEE” while running around a snowy forest.

It had a very “early bollywood” energy. I don’t think the people in it were Indian but it’s been years and I was very young, so it’s possible but unlikely that it’s a bollywood film

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Jedit posted:

Monster woman doesn't take her clothes off, she just crawls up onto the bed over the woman who had been sleeping. But otherwise close enough.

I must have been conflating the two movies in my head.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Escape From New York, Assault On Precinct 13, Prince Of Darkness are my favourites, though I know The Thing is objectively better than any of these three.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

drat that mirror ending just had me remembering the 2002 horror film They and I have no idea why I saw that movie in theatres nor whom on earth I could’ve seen it with. Weird.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

A "comedy" from the 50s or 60s about a husband and wife who get dogs. The wife has several small dogs that cause havoc when she´s not watching. The husband has a big, unruly dog.
There are two Japanese interior decorators who may have been white guys in yellowface who are scared of the big dog and think it´s a lion. At one point the husband scares them by yelling "Rook out, Rion!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bitterandtwisted posted:

A "comedy" from the 50s or 60s about a husband and wife who get dogs. The wife has several small dogs that cause havoc when she´s not watching. The husband has a big, unruly dog.
There are two Japanese interior decorators who may have been white guys in yellowface who are scared of the big dog and think it´s a lion. At one point the husband scares them by yelling "Rook out, Rion!"

The Ugly Dachshund, 1966
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLQMQYx4y4s

E: IMDB says that it features Robert Kino (aka Robert Tatsuya Kinoshita) and a young Mako in one of his first credited movie roles
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061135/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 22, 2022

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Ugly Dachshund, 1966
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLQMQYx4y4s

E: IMDB says that it features Robert Kino (aka Robert Tatsuya Kinoshita) and a young Mako in one of his first credited movie roles
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061135/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

That's it, thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I definitely have to watch Prince of Darkness now. There's something eerily appealing to me of a plot that starts with "a priest finds the essence of Satan in a vial in some basement."

That poo poo sounds very unsettling, raises a bunch of questions with me, and also sort of reminds me of the games Uninvited and Shadowgate. Tons of vials, tons of basements, tons of demons.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
The Alamo Drafthouse by me is playing it in August :thunk:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I definitely have to watch Prince of Darkness now. There's something eerily appealing to me of a plot that starts with "a priest finds the essence of Satan in a vial in some basement."

That poo poo sounds very unsettling, raises a bunch of questions with me, and also sort of reminds me of the games Uninvited and Shadowgate. Tons of vials, tons of basements, tons of demons.

Alan Smithee posted:

The Alamo Drafthouse by me is playing it in August :thunk:

You should really, really check it out.

I'd contend it's not Carpenter's best by a bit, but that's only because Carpenter has a lot of best and it's a hard-fought competition ; it's not like Carpenter ever really phoned something in, and even his less-good (or being honest, even his worse) stuff is still better than the vast majority of the genre.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea Carpenter was so consistent for a long period of time that he has a top-tier of stone cold classics but then his middle-tier is full of stuff that any other director would be proud to call their best film. Something like Starman or They Live would be the crowning achievement for almost any other director.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
What’s funny too is that even among diehards the way people rank his movies is all over the board. They Live is one of his best

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The only two films that I would say are definitely consensus top-tier are Halloween and The Thing. After that it's a free-for-all and everyone's list is gonna be different, yea.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
A film set during WWII. A kid has been evacuated to the countryside. He's complaining about having to walk home from the town back to the farm and tells the adult he's with "I can't walk all that way, I've got a headache in my leg". I saw this in the early/mid 90s.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kosmo Gallion posted:

A film set during WWII. A kid has been evacuated to the countryside. He's complaining about having to walk home from the town back to the farm and tells the adult he's with "I can't walk all that way, I've got a headache in my leg". I saw this in the early/mid 90s.

Hope and Glory?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

In the Mouth of Madness is the sleeper gem and it is absolutely top 3 Carpenter and maybe top 2. It is practically perfect in every way.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

In the Mouth of Madness is the sleeper gem and it is absolutely top 3 Carpenter and maybe top 2. It is practically perfect in every way.

For me it's Christine. I didn't see Christine until maybe like five or six years ago and I've rewatched it several times since, every time it shoots further up my rankings. I think at this point it's right outside my top-3 at #4 or #5. And my top 3 also includes The Fog, which I think is pretty unusual, most people don't have it that high.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

"Goodnight Mr Tom" is the perennial last day of School film amongst certain kinds of English teachers and is about evacuees, but I can't remember that line specifically.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm sitting here wondering why Big Trouble in Little China isn't getting mentioned so let's correct that.

"China is in the heart, Jack. Wherever I go, she'll be with me."

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm sitting here wondering why Big Trouble in Little China isn't getting mentioned so let's correct that.

"China is in the heart, Jack. Wherever I go, she'll be with me."

I mentioned it, cause that movie slaps.

But in general I think it’s because of the same reason that people forget about Starman which is just the genre switch from Carpener’s straight up horror stuff. There’s horror stuff in BTiLC obviously, but it’s got many other distinct qualities too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've never seen Big Trouble in Little China, and that's weird, because a) :wtc: and b) it seems extremely like the kind of movie I'd be absolutely down for.

I've also never seen Buckaroo Banzai or The Fifth Element, two other completely bonkers movies.

I should just fix that this week.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I've never seen Big Trouble in Little China, and that's weird, because a) :wtc: and b) it seems extremely like the kind of movie I'd be absolutely down for.

I've also never seen Buckaroo Banzai or The Fifth Element, two other completely bonkers movies.

It just came on Hulu fyi.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hey... Watch those three movies

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

How would you know they are bonkers if you have not seen them? :thunk:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

How would you know they are bonkers if you have not seen them? :thunk:

BTILC: I've seen the part where a group of... for lack of a better term, Raidens, from Mortal Kombat get into a big fight. Plus, Kurt Russell has a mullet and is still considered the hero.

BB8D: The title alone (plus the trailer)

Fifth Element: I tried before, but I fell asleep. But Chris Tucker's and Gary Oldman's hair are enough reasons for me to think that the movie isn't quite the usual fare and that I need to finally see it all the way through.

Also, unfortunately I don't have Hulu, as I'm in :canada: but I'm sure I can find a way to watch these 3.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I mean your big library will probably have two of them on dvd

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BTILC: I've seen the part where a group of... for lack of a better term, Raidens, from Mortal Kombat get into a big fight. Plus, Kurt Russell has a mullet and is still considered the hero.

It's an apt term, Raiden is based on them. And Shang Taung is bases on the big bad guy.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Big Trouble is also practically a DND campaign funny enough

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

....Kurt Russell has a mullet and is still considered the hero.

Well he's technically not The hero, he just happens to be the POV character. Honestly unless you are against owning physical media(fair it's 2022) you should just buy all 3 on DVD, they're probably 5 bucks used at the most, right?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Well he's technically not The hero, he just happens to be the POV character. Honestly unless you are against owning physical media(fair it's 2022) you should just buy all 3 on DVD, they're probably 5 bucks used at the most, right?

I quite literally have only once device that plays physical media, and it's my old Mac that I rarely turn on.

I never thought I'd get to this point, but here I am.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Looking for a DTV movie from around '92-'96. It's a generic action deal about underground cage fighting, possibly to the death, and may feature Billy Blanks as a supporting character (though nothing in his filmography seems quite right, despite him being in several films with this plot). The lead is just some no name action man who has a Shannon Tweed ish love interest. At one point, she's wearing lingerie and they bang on a couch.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Origami Dali posted:

Looking for a DTV movie from around '92-'96. It's a generic action deal about underground cage fighting, possibly to the death, and may feature Billy Blanks as a supporting character (though nothing in his filmography seems quite right, despite him being in several films with this plot). The lead is just some no name action man who has a Shannon Tweed ish love interest. At one point, she's wearing lingerie and they bang on a couch.

I'll throw out a guess for Bloodmatch (1991).

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
There's also Best of the Best 2 which veers hilariously from the first movie's Karate Kid with a rag tag team setup to a kumite cage match style movie.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Zogo posted:

I'll throw out a guess for Bloodmatch (1991).

Ape Agitator posted:

There's also Best of the Best 2 which veers hilariously from the first movie's Karate Kid with a rag tag team setup to a kumite cage match style movie.

Neither of these. My plot description may be a little off, but I know there was a cagefighting tournament fought in a UFC style metal cage at night in some industrial warehouse with a bunch of steel beams everywhere. But I mostly remember the chick having skinemax sex in garters on a sofa.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

Neither of these. My plot description may be a little off, but I know there was a cagefighting tournament fought in a UFC style metal cage at night in some industrial warehouse with a bunch of steel beams everywhere. But I mostly remember the chick having skinemax sex in garters on a sofa.

I don't think it's your movie I saw a bit of a thing on...scifi? Cinemax? Where it opens with a young guy and a middle aged guy. Young guy is Jewish (has a star necklace) and the middle aged guy is calling all sorts of anti-semitic stuff. Young guy goes "I will defend myself" or something! And it turns out the older guy is teaching a self defense course. The both of them wind up being kidnapped I think, and wind up forced to fight in a secret tournament (young Jewish guy gets executed as an example for trying to escape iirc)

I kinda wanna know what that was myself

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Wikipedia has a 'Films about Death Games' page but none of them seem to match as far as I can tell: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_about_death_games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I remember an underground bare knuckle boxing movie around that time. I remember the big boss guy ends up fighting the protagonist at the end, and during the fight he takes some punches to the top kf the head and groats that the top of the skull is the hardest part of the head.

No idea if it's what you are thinking of, but that's what popped into my head. No idea what it was called though.