Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It this a thing where they are gonna take from the BR and combine it with the best possible quality LD from the damaged/ reanimated sections?

It never bothered me as mucha s some people but I do find it hard to watch the gaiden eps because of the cheaper animation style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

DamnGlitch posted:

It this a thing where they are gonna take from the BR and combine it with the best possible quality LD from the damaged/ reanimated sections?

It never bothered me as mucha s some people but I do find it hard to watch the gaiden eps because of the cheaper animation style.

Nope, this is the thing where some guy has the actual LD collection and has spent years painstakingly collecting the hardware and software required to rip it at the highest possible quality. Personally I think they're going a bit overboard with filters and AI upscales and whatnot, but if they ever get the drat thing done and released it will become the definitive source for the OG OVA.

Also they just noticed an extra LD in the box, and turns out it's a half our behind the scenes doc about the series! No subtitles tho, leaving us at the mercy of Youtube autosubs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njeDRdRkYjI

e:
Here's a link to the last Reddit post that includes a Discord invite, if anyone else wants to keep up with the project.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 30, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

lmao they spent all that time and money ripping the LD's and then ruined it with an ai downscale. What a mistake

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

lmao they spent all that time and money ripping the LD's and then ruined it with an ai downscale. What a mistake

To their credit they did recently announce that they're dropping the AI upscale aspect of the project, but yeah I would have preferred a basic straight-from-LD rip that other people could then take and tweak and filter to their heart's content. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good, ya know?

I've seen too many goon projects crash and burn so the longer this one goes on the more nervous I get. If this guy gets hit by a bus, no LOGH. If his house burns down, no LOGH. Having such a single point of failure like this makes my brain itch :tizzy:

knox
Oct 28, 2004

The rips I do have the quality changes sometime at episode 26, as I distinctly remember higher quality for certain parts of the Kircheis scene. I was never sure if that was re-drawn or part of the laser disc versions or something. But even when the quality is at it's lowest, it's never that bad. I mean it's 30+ years old and I'd still prefer the bad quality old episodes over the Die Neue These. Yeah the new battle scene CGI is cooler but at the expense of the character designs, nah.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

knox posted:

The rips I do have the quality changes sometime at episode 26, as I distinctly remember higher quality for certain parts of the Kircheis scene. I was never sure if that was re-drawn or part of the laser disc versions or something. But even when the quality is at it's lowest, it's never that bad. I mean it's 30+ years old and I'd still prefer the bad quality old episodes over the Die Neue These. Yeah the new battle scene CGI is cooler but at the expense of the character designs, nah.

Talking about stuff like this?

Takes No Damage posted:

Huh, I thought the DVD releases were still just transfers from the initial Laserdisc set, but it looks like a bunch of stuff was redrawn. I guess you could make arguments for both styles but I feel like the more pencil-line drawn style works better than the smoothed over CGI look:

OG:

DVD:

or

OG:

DVD:

Is there a legit/updated source for these "original" versions, or were they only ever released by Central Anime way back when (where those OG stills are from)?

As was explained to me, some parts of the masters were either damaged or lost when they were doing the DVD transfer, so rather than do what this guy is doing and just rip from a LD they redrew those missing scenes. And same, I'll take lower resolution if it means everything is consistent and in the original hand-drawn style.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Yeah, it is a little jarring to go into redrawn scenes for big episodes/certain stretches. Since those episodes are really old I don't really have any issues with the redrawn aspect, but yeah the consistency is only issue.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A coworker and I decided to start watching this one episode a night. Tonight was episode 26 :tviv:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

One a night my god.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wish I had 110 days of new LoGH content ahead of me :negative: Or 162(?) with the gaidens.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

One thing that I wish had been explained better so far is how the space travel works

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Len posted:

One thing that I wish had been explained better so far is how the space travel works

It's discussed very briefly I think; I think it's one of those things that's better left up to one's imagination anyway, similar to the whole 'zephyr particles' technology as the reason for hand-to-hand combat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

do the rosenritter ever stop just being the best?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Not really

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Len posted:

do the rosenritter ever stop just being the best?

yes but by then that's because schenkopf himself is just the best instead and the rosenritter as a unit stop mattering

admittedly that's quite quickly

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
He's a likable scoundrel but kind of a bad dad.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Was rewatching the Gaidens and came across Yung Bucock, during Yang's Bruce Ashby investigation and the flashbacks

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
If you're planning to watch the series or haven't gotten past episode ~26 or so, this video has spoilers for those episodes. But the rest of us might like this.

https://twitter.com/escribosexo/status/1564751365062201344

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
The Julian opening another bottle of booze for Yang cameo was the best.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hate that I knew what it was going to be just by his posture in the thumbnail :nyoron:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Manyorcas posted:

If you're planning to watch the series or haven't gotten past episode ~26 or so, this video has spoilers for those episodes. But the rest of us might like this.

https://twitter.com/escribosexo/status/1564751365062201344

I love it. Very true to the original

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The fpa ships popping like poppers got me pretty good.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Die Neue These is back. Time to see Kempff finally pursue the trivial solution.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh yay will check the new episode when I get back from work.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
They're doing another 12 or 13 right? I haven't watched any of the stuff from this year, gotta track it down and get started.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What’s the general verdict on the new anime at this point?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TheKingofSprings posted:

I can't speak to general, but speaking specifically for myself, it's good.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I think it’s fine as a secondary text. I vastly prefer the original but I enjoy watching the new one too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The uniforms are ugly

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's very good. I prefer it to what I have seen of the original.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Like it a lot and all caught up.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Die Neue These isn't bad, but I'm not sure it has justified its existence yet.

*Goes to watch the new episode*

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

Nope, this is the thing where some guy has the actual LD collection and has spent years painstakingly collecting the hardware and software required to rip it at the highest possible quality. Personally I think they're going a bit overboard with filters and AI upscales and whatnot, but if they ever get the drat thing done and released it will become the definitive source for the OG OVA.

Also they just noticed an extra LD in the box, and turns out it's a half our behind the scenes doc about the series! No subtitles tho, leaving us at the mercy of Youtube autosubs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njeDRdRkYjI

e:
Here's a link to the last Reddit post that includes a Discord invite, if anyone else wants to keep up with the project.

Jesus Christ skimming that documentary and I want subs so hard. Having such crisp documentary footage of the era is amazing too. Also something about the voice actors voicing characters and Reinhard's hair flowing on the TV on the background :perfect:

God I wish I could say I've managed to get a new person to watch this series from beginning to end.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I've gotten 5 people to watch this, though 2 of them are goons so they don't really count.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

After 15 years of persuasion I finally got a friend to try Die Neue These this spring. I knew he would like it but I had to use a light touch, he's the kind of guy (like me) who automatically resists the hard sell. But after one or two episodes he also ordered the books.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

started last week. its good. its a good show.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

It is also very good.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Not going to lie, the third season of the new anime is actually good, has managed to bring up goose bumps, has bunch of good memorable scenes, I think might expand on the original from what I remember, and the animation/CGI actually brings something new to the table. The prior two seasons had some good moments and episodes which were nice candy but the third season feels like has given this version easily a reason to exist alongside the OVA.

I am actually kinda shocked how much I'm liking it.

edit: still to watch 36 from season 3 and 37 from the next season.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 5, 2022

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

And Reinhard hit em w the "Tell me the secret of DIO's stand" but for Fezzan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
In the not-too-distant future
Way down in Fezzan Land
Job Trunicht and Adrian Rubinsky