Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like you still have one good set in your hands, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

+1 to the solo advice so far. Chord tones and singing your phrases goes a very long way. Good exercise for the latter is to try to match your playing to singing, but focusing only on matching the rhythm/phrasing and not worrying about trying to match the pitch of what you’re singing.

Another suggestion, if you’re playing with a band or even playing along with a recording of a song, try listening to the drums and snare patterns especially and take rhythmic cues from there. Doesn’t have to be perfect or exact but it’s a good way to shift your focus from your own playing to what the rest of the band is doing and can make your solos sound more cohesive. And hopefully your band mates will listen to your solo and take their own cues and that’s where the magic happens

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Disco Pope posted:

Sorry if I sound dumb (or should take this to the theory thread), you mean if the progression was say Dm, F, Am, I'd play notes from each of those scales rather than just D minor? Or I should think about what notes spell those chords within D minor and base any riffing off of that?

More what manlove was saying (although I'd shy away from that too, you're not really going to be resolving melodies to an A or an F just because you're over top of those chords), but you could play notes from the d minor, f major, and a minor scales. There's only one different note between the three of those scales! Say the progression is Dm Fmaj Amin Amin, you could play notes from the D minor scale over the first two bars (D natural minor and F major are the same notes, just resolving differently), including the Bb note, and then over the latter two bars you could maybe tease a B natural, or do a quick chromatic run from C to A hitting both B natural and Bb in between.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

how do you put a RAT on a pedalboard? it has these screws on the bottom that are pretty long, and they kinda keep the velcro on the pedal from making contact

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, I dug the uke out after a few years in the closet, did a proper setup on it now that I actually know stuff and swapped the stock strings on it for the top 4 of a classical set (so I have a wound low G and brighter trebs) and ... this thing is a LOT of fun. The low G really makes a difference in how it feels to play coming from guitar.

If you have a ukulele you're bored with, put a low G on it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

how do you put a RAT on a pedalboard? it has these screws on the bottom that are pretty long, and they kinda keep the velcro on the pedal from making contact
Congratulations. You now get to find a permanent home for the rubber feet you have to take off your pedals! Just remove them and put 'em in a baggy.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Dr. Faustus posted:

Congratulations. You now get to find a permanent home for the rubber feet you have to take off your pedals! Just remove them and put 'em in a baggy.

oh i took those off the day i got it, i just screwed the screws back into the holes-- they're still too tall, and then there's the one for the battery door

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Yeah just keep the screws with the feet. They shouldn't be holding the chassis together.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Huxley posted:

Oh man, I dug the uke out after a few years in the closet, did a proper setup on it now that I actually know stuff and swapped the stock strings on it for the top 4 of a classical set (so I have a wound low G and brighter trebs) and ... this thing is a LOT of fun. The low G really makes a difference in how it feels to play coming from guitar.

If you have a ukulele you're bored with, put a low G on it.

Classical strings work on a ukulele? Guess I gotta find me a set then, I can't loving stand the high G.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I got one of those little Rat 2 with the glow-in-the-dark RAT logo, made in China, and its screws do not prevent it from velcroing to my board. Do you have a different model with taller screws or something? I've only had it since the weekend and yet it is my favorite pedal to boost my already distorted amp with now, though on its own I don't prefer its distortion tone it is dynamite for taking my amp's gain channel over the top while keeping it articulate.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

landgrabber posted:

You just use two little drops of superglue.

/runs away

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

Classical strings work on a ukulele? Guess I gotta find me a set then, I can't loving stand the high G.

Yeah! I'm still letting the string break in, but having that low g really changes the character. It still sounds like a uke, but being able to establish a bass note and use proper 4-string chords and scales ... it's very nice.

Mine is a concert, so it's a little bit longer scale than standard, but I'm sure it all works out the same way.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I have a couple pedals like that, it's annoying and sucks to get them on the board. I've had limited success running the tape along the sides and over the screws.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

forgo the board. embrace pedals on the floor and the horrible mess of cables

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

forgo the board. embrace pedals on the floor and the horrible mess of cables

Please. I have a board and still manage a mess of cables.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

I'm also very much at this stage, but aside from the very good advice about following the chords, the thing that has made my noodling sound more like real music is repetition. Just playing the same thing twice or more, either just right after each other or with some other stuff between. You can even do variations on your little motif. It makes it sound a lot more planned and cool and less like you're just playing more or less random notes in a scale (which we are).

I even had some luck combining it with chord changes, take your motif and play the same scale degrees in the relative scale. For example, in A minor, I'll play something like "A C E F" over am, but when it goes to dm, I'll play "D F A B", which is kind of the same, but because of the mode change, the minor six becomes a major six.

i agree with this post about repetition, and i agree and with other posts emphasizing "singability."

if you know you are going to have to repeat yourself, it might influence you to choose more "singable" melodies to make it easier to keep them in your head!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

this is Tomo, one of my very favorite guitar teachers on you tube! i learned a lot about string bending technique from his videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30N0WWHRPsQ

EDIT: i also like to go to Tomo for arrangements of some of my favorite songs, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f1lbYRKrVM

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 21, 2022

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Low key master.

He also taught such luminaries as Music Is Win and John Mayer.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

BonHair posted:

the high G is insanely annoying. you got all your nice top 4 string guitar chord voicings, but they all sound weird and bad

having a low G would actually make it viable as a solo instrument. sounds awesome

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

High G club for life here.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
How banjos work.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I think banjos are an interesting study for guitarists. They teach you about drone voicings, fingerpicking styles, and playing lead-melody - all on an instrument with limited sustain and a fixed key drone.

On the other hand you'd still have to learn feckin' banjo, so maybe just stick with the doom chords.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Just play doom chords on the banjo

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

okay tell me more about drone voicings or where i can learn about them because i love that sort of stuff, that’s super hypnotic

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

your post history is full of drone

im jk you’re cool by me I just couldn’t pass up a good dunk

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

lament.cfg posted:

your post history is full of drone

im jk you’re cool by me I just couldn’t pass up a good dunk

no i get it i respect the sport of dunking.

DangerousSmells
Jan 3, 2021
I'm trying to buckle down and learn songs by ear. It's hard because it's so easy to search "(Song Name) Guitar Lesson" and just have someone show you how to play it, but obviously I'll get more out of it if I figure it out myself. That being said, I'm working on "Mayonaise" by Smashing Pumpkins. Cool song, seems easy enough. I get stuck right off the bat because it's an alternate tuning. I tuned down a half step which helped, but then certain fingerings seem weird. I come to find out the song is in some weirdo tuning (Eb Bb Bb Gb Bb D). I'm not saying alternate tunings should be illegal, but a disclaimer would be nice.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Alternate tunings are just neat excuses to have another guitar set up for that tuning specifically just in case someone walks in and demands you play Mayonnaise and you don't have time to gently caress with the Floyd Rose.

You will also need another acoustic tuned for The Rain Song and an electric in Open C for Devin Townsend stuff.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

duodenum posted:

Open C for Devin Townsend stuff.

GOD drat RIGHT

I miss my old Devy avatars, this guitar I don't even have anymore is bullshit

Here's some work I commissioned from an artificial artist

I am just about done bringing my guitars to this luthier, holy poo poo they're all like whole new instruments now, it's :krad:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 22, 2022

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

duodenum posted:

You will also need another acoustic tuned for The Rain Song and an electric in Open C for Devin Townsend stuff.

:hai:

A guitar in C is just fuckin fun as hell to mess around with. "The Oracle" by Crown Lands is a really groovy song in open C (I think; either that or drop C) that I absolutely love, not only because it's got a bunch of different inspirations that all mesh together really well to form a solid prog rock song in C but also because the band is literally two musicians. The drummer is the vocalist and the guitarist plays a Rickenbacker double neck 6-string guitar/4 string bass as well as keyboards and a Moog Taurus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5LXhafq0AM

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

duodenum posted:

Alternate tunings are just neat excuses to have another guitar set up for that tuning specifically just in case someone walks in and demands you play Mayonnaise and you don't have time to gently caress with the Floyd Rose.

Fun / Stupid fact: back in the late 80s before there was the web and I was teaching myself guitar, I learned The Rain Song by ear (or as close as I could) in standard tuning because it had never occurred to me that one could tune a guitar to something else.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Not sure if you guys can help me here. I have a Jim Root jazzmaster body that I need to get a neck for. I really don't like the neck that comes with it and would like something closer to a charvel. The way the neck heel is rounded, I don't think I can order one off of Warmoth or where ever. Any advice on where I can look?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

here's a weird question: why won't the bridge saddle screws on this strat bridge turn?? i think i'm using the allen key that came with it, though it seems a little big?

e:nevermind

landgrabber fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 22, 2022

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Luna posted:

Not sure if you guys can help me here. I have a Jim Root jazzmaster body that I need to get a neck for. I really don't like the neck that comes with it and would like something closer to a charvel. The way the neck heel is rounded, I don't think I can order one off of Warmoth or where ever. Any advice on where I can look?

Warmoth is an option if you get a "Vintage", "Vintage/Modern", or "Modern Tiltback" construction neck. Only their "Modern" style is incompatible with the rounded heel due to the side-adjust truss.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If the issue is the mounting holes, I don't think they have an option to provide pre-drilled holes for that but you can get it undrilled and drill them yourself.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

If the issue is the mounting holes, I don't think they have an option to provide pre-drilled holes for that but you can get it undrilled and drill them yourself.

Love that Warmoth charges extra for undrilled holes. :20bux:

e: reading is hard

Nebraska Tim fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 22, 2022

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

imagine not having a set neck guitar for the sustain

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

landgrabber posted:

imagine not having a set neck guitar for the sustain

Imagine not having a bolt-on for tone bolts.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

How are you even getting metal tones when your guitar isn't made out of heavy metals? I only play solid platinum guitars (gold fretboard). Incidentally, my back is broken for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
LG: I love only Fender guitars, Fender is life

also LG: Pfft bolt on? What are you a poor?

Anyway I like the idea of being able to disassemble a guitar and easily replace a neck if I need to. I don't need any more sustain, I'll just crank the gain or trempick the poo poo outta that note