Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Are these staircase stories like actual accounts? Are there people going around putting up spooky staircases in the woods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

As far as anyone knows it's fiction, but of course you will occasionally see a staircase in the woods if there was a house with a very sturdy staircase.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Would be kind of odd for there to be a staircase and not, like, a chimneystack or any walls.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I'm watching this low-budget single-location claustrophobic elevator-horror called Wolf Rising.

Woman is trapped in an elevator, harassed by Sinister Russian Guy on a video screen who then terminates the video feed and calls her on the phone pretending to be her uncle. Three quarters of this movie are dependent on the protagonist apparently not knowing that her uncle (a person she has known very well since she was 7) is not a Sinister Russian Guy.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Panfilo posted:

What a lovely fate, you're a ghost but you have to turn some crank to work the spooky escalator.

This got me thinking about ghosts and the problem with dealing with ghost perverts and whatnot, and it got me wondering, are there any Ghostbuster-like movies where the apparitions aren't life threatening or homicidal, just... Annoying and inappropriate? Like society is just resigned to the fact that there's some walleyed ghost in the toilet staring up at you while you do your business and giggling hoarsely the whole time.

There's a show called Ghosts that's basically a couple living in a place and she can see the ghosts and most are annoying. One doesn't wear pants and catfishes the dude's sister.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

VROOM VROOM posted:

I just tried to go on nosleep and started reading a story from like three weeks ago about a guy in the woods and guess what shows up halfway through

a goddamn staircase

rickrolled by a woods staircase

I tried reading no sleep a few years ago and it felt like most stories were just about rape and or murder not ghosts and other supernatural things.

There was some clickbait link I clicked on that was something like "creepy pasta we want to see turned into movies" and one of the ones on the list was about a kid who got chloroformed and raped by his neighbor...and just why? Why would you want that made into a movie?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Someone wanted a sequel to Happiness.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm still kinda pissed that they made a movie out of the "locked doorway in forest" thing. I get it'd be creepy to see, and in the movie it was chained up iirc as well as locked. Then, apparently the protags of the movie decide that's a damned fine door and it'd be just perfect for the hall closet and OOPS SORRY SOME SPOOKY GHOST THING YANKED YOUR KID THROUGH THE LIVING EMBODIMENT OF A BAD IDEA THAT YOU BROUGHT INTO YOUR HOME YOU JACKASS.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Isn't finding stairs in the middle of the forest just taken from House of Leaves anyway

Ftaires!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Random stairs to nowhere just makes me think of Pittsburgh. Yes, Pittsburgh is scary, but in more of an existential ennui way not a ghost way

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Isn't finding stairs in the middle of the forest just taken from House of Leaves anyway

Ftaires!

No, House of Leaves was entirely in spooky house.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

No, House of Leaves was entirely in spooky house.

There was a big staircase inside the, uh, whatever, so it could theoretically be overlaid over a piece of woodland.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Pretty much all creepy pasta is just a rip off of house of leaves

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Armacham posted:

Pretty much all creepy pasta is just a rip off of house of leaves

I don't know if The Backrooms stuff counts as creepypasta, but its definitely another House of Leaves ripoff.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

EDIT: Another example is using a dial tone for a cell phone up through the late 00s.

Can you expand on what you mean by this, because my cell phone still has a dial tone.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hel posted:

Can you expand on what you mean by this, because my cell phone still has a dial tone.

I don’t even know what this could mean.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When I use my phone I type the numbers in and then hit dial, if I use the numbers at all, then it presumably opens the line and dials them in, I don't open the line and then touchtone it like it's the 90s, complete with call drops because you didn't type it fast enough.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Well then I'm wrong on that one I guess. I just haven't had a cell phone in a long time that would even allow a dial tone. You open the phone app, punch in the numbers, and then the line is opened and the number dialed upon hitting call.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

OwlFancier posted:

When I use my phone I type the numbers in and then hit dial, if I use the numbers at all, then it presumably opens the line and dials them in, I don't open the line and then touchtone it like it's the 90s, complete with call drops because you didn't type it fast enough.

You've become a victim of Skeuomorphism.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm still kinda pissed that they made a movie out of the "locked doorway in forest" thing. I get it'd be creepy to see, and in the movie it was chained up iirc as well as locked. Then, apparently the protags of the movie decide that's a damned fine door and it'd be just perfect for the hall closet and OOPS SORRY SOME SPOOKY GHOST THING YANKED YOUR KID THROUGH THE LIVING EMBODIMENT OF A BAD IDEA THAT YOU BROUGHT INTO YOUR HOME YOU JACKASS.

I'd give that a pass if it was the spooky ghost door magic that made them do it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Even my landline office phone, which is the only landline phone I've used in years, doesn't have a digital tone. You type in the number and then hit dial, and that's when it opens the line.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Baron von Eevl posted:

Even my landline office phone, which is the only landline phone I've used in years, doesn't have a digital tone. You type in the number and then hit dial, and that's when it opens the line.

The landlines in my office almost do this, but they'll autodial after a few seconds if you don't hit any numbers. So I'll be in the middle of dialing something, forget if the next digit is a 6 or a 9 or whatever, look at my computer screen to find the number again, and it'll dial the incomplete number and make me start over.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I loving hate Jade Wesker. Currently watching episode 6 and it's one incredibly stupid decision after another, holy poo poo. She sucks so hard.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I don't know if The Backrooms stuff counts as creepypasta, but its definitely another House of Leaves ripoff.

That game Control is also kind of a house of leaves ripoff, but it's pretty fun

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Leaves are a suboptimal building material for anything beyond a basic wilderness shelter.

0/10

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Armacham posted:

That game is a SCP tribute if anything. They’re very little shifting floor plans, just rooms that got hosed up. There’s only one place in the whole game where the geometry changes, and that’s right at the beginning. Super fun game though.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Armacham posted:

i'm going to kill you

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

IUG posted:

That game is a SCP tribute if anything. They’re very little shifting floor plans, just rooms that got hosed up. There’s only one place in the whole game where the geometry changes, and that’s right at the beginning. Super fun game though.

There’s one other time and it’s the best part of the entire game. (Though it is very different than HoL in execution.)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

IUG posted:

Well there's also all the signs and warnings about what to do if/when the building moves on you during your work shift

I feel like there were announcements too?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

moonmazed posted:

i'm going to kill you

That seems irrational

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like someone's losing... Control

:haw:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

MokBa posted:

There’s one other time and it’s the best part of the entire game. (Though it is very different than HoL in execution.)

I guess I don’t remember that part. Just the part at the begging that prevents you from leaving the building.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Gray Man: By the third time someone gets out of a location by jumping through a window it stops being exciting.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The Gray Man: By the third time someone gets out of a location by jumping through a window it stops being exciting.

Hard disagree.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I tried reading the Backrooms wiki and I just couldn't last more than a couple of articles. For as much as SCP is of variable quality, Backrooms seems to be almost universally poorly written.

OTOH the story cycle involving SCP3125 is fantastic and I'll hype it every chance I get.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It was pretty funny when Hitler kept doing it in Danger 5

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Breetai posted:

OTOH the story cycle involving SCP3125 is fantastic and I'll hype it every chance I get.
100% but qntm is actually a good author so it's cheating

You want chilling stuff? Read Lena

stringless has a new favorite as of 06:08 on Jul 24, 2022

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In an episode of “Saved By The Bell” big tv star Johnny Dakota comes to Bayside High to film an anti drug commercial. Mr Belding meets him and has no idea of any of this going on but even more unrealistic than that is the fact that Johnny Dakota apparently randomly shows up to high schools to ask about filming there. A star of his caliber would not be in that position. It would be the job of a scouting agent or perhaps a producers assistant.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Breetai posted:

I tried reading the Backrooms wiki and I just couldn't last more than a couple of articles. For as much as SCP is of variable quality, Backrooms seems to be almost universally poorly written.

Thanks for the heads up! I remember reading quite a few SCP stories over a decade ago and enjoying quite a few. When they're good, they're amazing, but there's just so much trash that I kinda gave up on the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

oldpainless posted:

In an episode of “Saved By The Bell” big tv star Johnny Dakota comes to Bayside High to film an anti drug commercial. Mr Belding meets him and has no idea of any of this going on but even more unrealistic than that is the fact that Johnny Dakota apparently randomly shows up to high schools to ask about filming there. A star of his caliber would not be in that position. It would be the job of a scouting agent or perhaps a producers assistant.

More like oldbellless

i just happened to read both your Saved by the Bell posts within a minute of each other