Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Larryb posted:

Yeah, that was an upgraded SNES sequel to Kirby’s Star Stacker on the Game Boy. Not sure why it never came stateside though

wtf I want that instead, Star Stacker was great. I already have puyo puyo tetris for puyo puyo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Read After Burning posted:

I want to play Live a Live but it sucks that all the playable characters are dudes. :colbert:

seriously. all those characters and none of them are women?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

One of the major characters is a woman. Well, could be. In the Wuxia chapter you have a choice on who succeeds your martial art and one of the candidates is a woman.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

playing it now and man this looks loving great. they've really perfected the 2dhd look.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hell yeah Karnov's Revenge

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

nrook posted:

wtf I want that instead, Star Stacker was great. I already have puyo puyo tetris for puyo puyo.

It’s a little work to set up, but make a Japanese Nintendo account, link it to a Japanese profile on Switch. Download the SNES Online App on the Japanese eShop. Open it with your main paid account.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just finished Somnium Files 1. Decent jaunt. Not really close to 999 or VLR, but definitely worth the sale price from a few weeks back. I guess I was just hoping for a bigger puzzle aspect like the Nonary Games. The psyncs were pretty barebones and didn't do much to enhance the experience.

I hear ~Nirvana Initiative~ is better, but I'm probably going to wait until it goes on sale at some point.

Edit: Actually, I don't know if anyone else experienced it, but the game really started chugging on the Switch in the back half of the game. The stutter time waiting for all those rapid-fire flashbacks was ridiculous. Like...every time someone spoke a line that had a flashback clip attached to it, it would be a good 5 second pause before it could load the line. :psyduck:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 22, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

An Actual Princess posted:

seriously. all those characters and none of them are women?

we have to kill Nintendo

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I'm super late to the party but I just got a switch lite and Animal Crossing: New Horizons is the best casual game I've ever played.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

we have to kill Nintendo

miyamoto will feel my wrath

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
don't understand why they didn't put kira kira kids on the us service when they already put super puyo puyo 2 and panel de pon untranslated on there

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

AlternateNu posted:

Just finished Somnium Files 1. Decent jaunt. Not really close to 999 or VLR, but definitely worth the sale price from a few weeks back. I guess I was just hoping for a bigger puzzle aspect like the Nonary Games. The psyncs were pretty barebones and didn't do much to enhance the experience.

I hear ~Nirvana Initiative~ is better, but I'm probably going to wait until it goes on sale at some point.

Edit: Actually, I don't know if anyone else experienced it, but the game really started chugging on the Switch in the back half of the game. The stutter time waiting for all those rapid-fire flashbacks was ridiculous. Like...every time someone spoke a line that had a flashback clip attached to it, it would be a good 5 second pause before it could load the line. :psyduck:

yeah AI1 ran so bad for me on switch that I bought AI2 on PS4 which is like the last thing I want to do with a visual novel

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I shouldn’t read the thread just before sleeping.

I dreamt they announced the successor system and it was called the New Wii U 2 and no one was very happy. It was pretty much the same thing with a screen with the curves of the original GBA and used the same joy cons though no one was sure if it was backwards compatible.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

That wasn't a dream

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

AlternateNu posted:

I guess I was just hoping for a bigger puzzle aspect like the Nonary Games.

I have heard this more than once, but I don't remember a single puzzle from the zero escape games.

I didn't get more than an hour into the sequels, but I played all the way through 999, and the only thing that was close to actual gameplay was a couple minutes of pixel hunting in between hours of text.

I get that it's a visual novel, but they actively avoid gameplay even when it would make sense to have a player choice. When they established early on that the characters you can bring through each door depend on a mathematic formula based on their designated numbers I was looking forward to figuring those out, but then they just have the characters do it with no player input

Worst game I have ever played in my loving life. Everybody who ever described it as a puzzle game personally owes me fifty dollars, and everybody who described AI as being just like the zero escape games owes me and AI an apology because I avoided it like the plague until I saw a let's play and found out it was an actual game

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

flavor.flv posted:

I have heard this more than once, but I don't remember a single puzzle from the zero escape games.

I didn't get more than an hour into the sequels, but I played all the way through 999, and the only thing that was close to actual gameplay was a couple minutes of pixel hunting in between hours of text.

I get that it's a visual novel, but they actively avoid gameplay even when it would make sense to have a player choice. When they established early on that the characters you can bring through each door depend on a mathematic formula based on their designated numbers I was looking forward to figuring those out, but then they just have the characters do it with no player input

Worst game I have ever played in my loving life. Everybody who ever described it as a puzzle game personally owes me fifty dollars, and everybody who described AI as being just like the zero escape games owes me and AI an apology because I avoided it like the plague until I saw a let's play and found out it was an actual game

Hum, you know that the escape rooms are like, actual puzzles? You have to find codes and resolve riddles? Did you get the version that removed all puzzles cause if you paid 50$ for that one you got ripped off.

But if you played the DS/PS4/PC version I can't literally see that, AI in comparison has even less puzzles beyond the VR sequences in Nirvana, some input codes and the Somnium which are literally "click the correct dialogue choices without running out of time".

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Thanks for the GIF

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Large Testicles posted:

Really thinking about picking up Live a Live but i want to see all of y'alls reactions first since I never played the original.

There's a pretty substantial demo of Live a Live on the eshop.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Has anyone fooled around with korg gadget? I'm thinking about picking it up but was hoping someone might have some feedback on how robust it is as a toy

Catching up on the thread, I love it. I use the joycons most of the time and it's become pretty smooth, there is group select/copy/paste etc shortcuts. I had a capture card so I record the screen to get audio output, was baffled that not only do they not allow export but they disallow the 30-second snippet screen recording as well. KORG claims the former is because Nintendo has restrictions on actually generating an output file separate to the save data like that. But after a couple years I have probably 100 songs I've played with on there and it's quick and easy to jump in and out of it quickly unlike my desktop stuff. Would recommend it for toy purposes. (The extra kits for Sega noises are kind of limited, skip those at least until you exhaust the built-ins.)

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I had a player’s guide for Ocarina of Time that was narrated. Instead of “Go here to do X” it would say things like “And Link found the dungeon’s hidden weapon on the third floor”. It was cool at first but I ended up resenting it because it was harder for me to find information in it than other guides. I think it might have been the official Nintendo/Nintendo Power guide but that sounds wrong in hindsight.

They did this for some SNES/NES era guides too, always hated it. Especially PC games would have guides that were trying to also be stories or something and it just made them impossible to use.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

wuggles posted:

That wasn't a dream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1PKKdz0S34&t=1s

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Large Testicles posted:

Really thinking about picking up Live a Live but i want to see all of y'alls reactions first since I never played the original.

Completed two chapters (Imperial China, Present Day) and it's pretty good. Present Day had a great moment after beating the final boss where He dies in a slow-motion street fighter scream & fall but it's been a while since I played the original so idk if they just carried that over directly.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I will say, with how janky the battle system was in the original, it was extremely gutsy to have a full chapter that's nothing but boss fights one after the other

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
One thing that I do appreciate about the remake is that the combat UI has greatly improved. I actually understand what is going on now and can plan out moves rather than taking a guess and sticking with what seems to work.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Not yet in the mood to play it so I haven't bought it yet, but it's funny that there's a chapter that's nothing but fighting and another chapter that only has one fight (and another chapter that really only has two).

I mostly like how each chapter has its own gameplay gimmicks. Caveman's about crafting better gear, the Wrestler is a Blue Mage, Ninja is about maximizing or minimizing your kills, and so on.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

flavor.flv posted:

Yeaaaaahh. It's pretty obvious you played the novel port of 999 which removed all the puzzles. I feel bad for you, because they really are pretty much the best VN/puzzle fusions ever made.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

when i played the fan translation of live a live a few weeks ago, the first story i chose was the wrestler and it's literally all fights and i was like "is this all the game is?" but then I did the robot story and that was cool. it kinda just feels like a load of sketches for other games thrown together into a game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

it kinda just feels like a load of sketches for other games thrown together into a game.

It basically is. They all do lead into something, but it's a lot more about the individual stories than the overall narrative, though that is kinda neat in its own way.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

AlternateNu posted:

I'm playing through AI1 right now and yeah, the game was not optimized for the Switch.

I've been having fun with the game, but my main gripe is that the "dream logic" of the Psyncs means a lot of it feels like random guessing to figure out what works.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Octopath/Live a Live comparisons make way more sense now.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Tae posted:

The Octopath/Live a Live comparisons make way more sense now.

The only difference is octopath is bad

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Dpulex posted:

motherfucker

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Dpulex posted:

Wait, some people do not enjoy linear straightforward dungeons and trying every type on attack on every enemy till you find the right one?

(I liked the aesthetics and boosfights but extremely repetitive and formulaic design was too much for me)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I've been having fun with the game, but my main gripe is that the "dream logic" of the Psyncs means a lot of it feels like random guessing to figure out what works.

This was my main concern going into it, but the psyncs seem designed to allow you to make a good 3 or 4 mistakes without destroying the attempt. And there are points, especially in the later psyncs, where you definitely use characterization learned from other routes to help solve them.

Though, I only had to restart a couple of the more gimmick heavy psyncs which makes me think my thought processes are too close to Uchikoshi's or at least his puzzle designers :ohdear:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

You joke, but I love Lost Odyssey. Shame it's locked to Xbox.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

One thing I didn't quite get while playing the demo. How do I know how many times I can move in a battle before the enemy takes their turn?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

One thing I didn't quite get while playing the demo. How do I know how many times I can move in a battle before the enemy takes their turn?

Depends on how fast your foe's stamina gauge charges. If it's slow you can typically get 5-6 moves out of it and if it's fast maybe 2-3.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Man, I'm glad monster Hunter rise is going to keep getting updates but I'm also really annoyed at the whole games as a service thing. Ultimately, it probably leads to better content and better experiences overall, but I like to play a game and be done with it and then go back and replay it if I really want to experience it again.

Going back to a game just to experience new content that was released a year or two years later kind of sucks. It's like they're trying to hold on your attention for as long as possible, which makes sense from a business point of view

I know I could just not play the updates etc but it seems like this philosophy is trickling down into almost every genre. Irritating imo and it doesn't help my FOMO in the slightest

On a less negative note Minerva's Den in Bioshock 2 is kick rear end so far, the difficulty has a little bit more of a bite than the base campaign and I'm being forced to be very creative/ conservative if I want to gather all the Adam and explore everything

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

KingSlime posted:

Man, I'm glad monster Hunter rise is going to keep getting updates but I'm also really annoyed at the whole games as a service thing. Ultimately, it probably leads to better content and better experiences overall, but I like to play a game and be done with it and then go back and replay it if I really want to experience it again.

Going back to a game just to experience new content that was released a year or two years later kind of sucks. It's like they're trying to hold on your attention for as long as possible, which makes sense from a business point of view

I know I could just not play the updates etc but it seems like this philosophy is trickling down into almost every genre. Irritating imo and it doesn't help my FOMO in the slightest

On a less negative note Minerva's Den in Bioshock 2 is kick rear end so far, the difficulty has a little bit more of a bite than the base campaign and I'm being forced to be very creative/ conservative if I want to gather all the Adam and explore everything

It's not a live-service since they are not charging anything for the updates. Hell, they don't push any of the paid cosmetics aside from a little splash on the title screen.

They don't need to keep people engaged because there is not an intrinsic monetary tie-in. They're updating it because it's a hugely popular game and people want more.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Do the bio shock games support gyro controls? If so are they implemented well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Inzombiac posted:

It's not a live-service since they are not charging anything for the updates. Hell, they don't push any of the paid cosmetics aside from a little splash on the title screen.

They don't need to keep people engaged because there is not an intrinsic monetary tie-in. They're updating it because it's a hugely popular game and people want more.

Yeah, this game is probably one of the worst examples I could give, but I wonder if it does encourage half releases because they know they can then stagger the content slowly over the next year or two years.

It just sucks when the updates are stretched out that far out. But yes, I would much rather have the free updates than not! Just hope it doesn't promote more piecemeal bite-sized approaches from massive well-established studios. There are entire ranks of managers who are salivating at the thought of shorter turnaround times/ rushed projects in every company

Wildtortilla posted:

Do the bio shock games support gyro controls? If so are they implemented well?

They do not and it is a jarring omission, I'm so used to it and it's great. I got to look up a list of games with gyro on the switch because it's such a fun feature

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 22, 2022