Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Marauders and Nephandi get Ascension in Judgment, too; the only price they wind up paying is realizing that they made it needlessly painful for themselves and others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ah, so it really is The Invisibles.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Think the premise of magic invisible conspiracy war is cool but the rules and setting of Mage: the Ascenscion are bad? Boy do I have good news for you

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheCenturion posted:

Can you confirm which of the scenarios in the Time of Judgement: Judgement book you think is 'most fleshed out' and therefore, if I understand you correctly, most canonical? The book itself indicates that Chapter Two is this, and that chapter describes Ascension as 'everybody wins, all at once, even though that's inherently paradoxical, except the Marauders and Nephandi, cuz gently caress them. Magic, ain't it? Too bad this means that all of the suffering of the past had to occur, and will occur again in the endless cycle.'

:thunk:
Maybe Ascension is when your player character realizes they are in a role-playing game and merge with their avatar (the player). They are now free to play other games!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rutibex posted:

:thunk:
Maybe Ascension is when your player character realizes they are in a role-playing game and merge with their avatar (the player). They are now free to play other games!
This is how Dianetics works.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Halloween Jack posted:

Ah, so it really is The Invisibles.

It's one of the major influences, yes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I realized I'd completely missed the new version of Adventure! when they announced a new Trinity book for Victorian adventures.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Rand Brittain posted:

He also decided that pursuing global Ascension was tyranny, so on top of abandoning the game's protagonists he also threw out the premise, so the game is now just about a bunch of wizards who do, you know... stuff.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

lmao

Sagahl
May 31, 2020

beautiful

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Making the thread subtitle "Mage: The." would be relevant on a couple levels imo

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

I can identify with not wanting to play Mage The Ascension.

:same:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

* like, seriously, everything that is supposedly bad about the Traditions is going to be equally true of the Disparates; I have no idea what Brucato was smoking

Didn't he declare them all riddled with Nephandi? I think Brucato was trying to position the Nephandi as the real threat that everybody else should be dropping their petty wars over to deal with.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
So what happens to the vampires and werewolves and such anyway, are they just left behind

That's actually kind of a fun idea

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So what happens to the vampires and werewolves and such anyway, are they just left behind

Depending on the Gehenna scenario all the vampires can become human again, thus allowing then to Ascend.

At least that was the view on New Bremen, the moderated official chat.

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 22, 2022

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

There are something like five or six fully fleshed-out possible The Ends in each of the end times books for each of the big three lines. I think Time of Judgement runs down multiple less detailed scenarios for each of the less popular lines in each chapter. It's been a while since I read any of those books. Any given spookies' scenarios mostly don't concern themselves with what's happening to the other supernaturals, from what I recall, and some of them are pretty exclusive.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Rand Brittain posted:

Marauders and Nephandi get Ascension in Judgment, too; the only price they wind up paying is realizing that they made it needlessly painful for themselves and others.

Nope.

quote:

The Mad Ones are expelled from the cosmos; every Quiet births a universe that lives and dies according to it's merits. The worshipful Fallen are consigned to the Hells of their dreams: what they always truly desired.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

According to the vampire book turning a mage severs them from their avatar. So the physical meat vampire will be left behind in the sinful material universe. But the mages avatar gets another shot, I think.

I really appreciate the vampire 20th book giving me stats for mages and werewolf and ghosts using the vampire powers. It means I can do a Buffy the Vampire slayer campaign and I don't need the Hunter book. I can just give my slayer vampire powers.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 22, 2022

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

That Old Tree posted:

There are something like five or six fully fleshed-out possible The Ends in each of the end times books for each of the big three lines. I think Time of Judgement runs down multiple less detailed scenarios for each of the less popular lines in each chapter. It's been a while since I read any of those books. Any given spookies' scenarios mostly don't concern themselves with what's happening to the other supernaturals, from what I recall, and some of them are pretty exclusive.

Yup, the ToJ books (Gehenna/Apocalypse/Ascension) covered the endings for each of those games from "Not terrible" to "Lol everyone is hosed" (Caine being the last living creature to rise from the rubble to have God laugh at him is some :discourse:) and then the ToJ book proper covered the rest and I think only the Reckoning endings have any ties to the other slats doing stuff.

The most amusing bit of that ToJ book is that even the "Good" endings for the games are still extremely bad for the poor schmucks living in that world.

I'm pretty sure one Changeling ending is "We all go back to Arcadia, and the Winter comes" while ignoring what that would mean for humanity.

The Reckoning endings I remember being all pretty bleak and very "Everything is hosed, there's a demon castle in LA and humanity is hosed and so are we."

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I've been trying to figure out what the difference is between the different editions of Mage and I came on this podcast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SAhAvMCJzU
This is absolutely fascinating that people care about the lore and metaphysics of this game so much. When I went looking for the differences I was expecting nerds fighting over different paradox systems or mana points or something but that's not what Mage fans care about at all! This is the complete opposite of edition wars between different kinds of D&D

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Rutibex posted:

I've been trying to figure out what the difference is between the different editions of Mage and I came on this podcast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SAhAvMCJzU
This is absolutely fascinating that people care about the lore and metaphysics of this game so much. When I went looking for the differences I was expecting nerds fighting over different paradox systems or mana points or something but that's not what Mage fans care about at all! This is the complete opposite of edition wars between different kinds of D&D

As someone who once thought it was noble to try: It is very difficult to get sincerely invested in defending different iterations of Mage game mechanics.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

joylessdivision posted:

The Reckoning endings I remember being all pretty bleak and very "Everything is hosed, there's a demon castle in LA and humanity is hosed and so are we."

The Werewolf ones are mostly optimistic in a "we all die but we have saved everything" way. Which is fair. It IS called Apocalypse. There's a lot of almost greatest hits in Apocalypse itself too, like if you wondered about <blank> it's probably there for you to kill. Skemp feels like the only one who really understood the assignment.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

My favorite Apocalypse ending was the one where you free and heal the Wyrm.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Wyrm and Weaver in the void chilling out, Wyrm is all just "Yeah maybe we just take a break from messing with the world for a bit, I think things will be fine without us."

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nessus posted:

:allears: The Children of Gaia would be so proud.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Nessus posted:

Was that one of them? The ones I remember are the final battle in the Umbra, a tribe falling, the Weaver being the Real Bad Guy, or an asteroid hits the Earth and everyone dies.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

PantsOptional posted:

Was that one of them? The ones I remember are the final battle in the Umbra, a tribe falling, the Weaver being the Real Bad Guy, or an asteroid hits the Earth and everyone dies.
It happens in the Weaver Bad Guy thing, the Gaians are basically forced by events and possibly extremely loud statements from both sides that THE REAL ENEMY IS THE WEAVER to team up with the BSDs and co. In the good ending a final rite is completed and the last thing everyone hears is an enormous cosmic roar as the Wyrm is freed from the Weaver's webs at last.

To do his fuckin' job, implicitly, not to just kind of... be pass-agg and polluting. I think.

e: I forget if you literally team up with Pentex or not.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

It happens in the Weaver Bad Guy thing, the Gaians are basically forced by events and possibly extremely loud statements from both sides that THE REAL ENEMY IS THE WEAVER to team up with the BSDs and co. In the good ending a final rite is completed and the last thing everyone hears is an enormous cosmic roar as the Wyrm is freed from the Weaver's webs at last.

To do his fuckin' job, implicitly, not to just kind of... be pass-agg and polluting. I think.

e: I forget if you literally team up with Pentex or not.

You might team up with your nemesis First Team if you play it when I ran it!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Why is the free council book bad compared to the other mage the awakening order books

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Kurtofan posted:

Why is the free council book bad compared to the other mage the awakening order books

Because it's the worst order.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Attorney at Funk posted:

Because it's the worst order.

An Adamantine Arrow wrote this post. And they're right.

In a setting where you have "What if Stasi, but magic", "Indiana Jones happily locking away the arc of the covenant", "I CAST FIST", and "MURDER THE EXARCHS AND TOPPLE THEIR THRONES but only after arguing about it ad nauseum", the Free Council'a only real positive point is how they responded to the Seers' attempt to court them: throwing literal and metaphysical bombs at them.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

It was the first one written, presumably while the core book was still being written.

Many mistakes were made.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

citybeatnik posted:

An Adamantine Arrow wrote this post. And they're right.

In a setting where you have "What if Stasi, but magic", "Indiana Jones happily locking away the arc of the covenant", "I CAST FIST", and "MURDER THE EXARCHS AND TOPPLE THEIR THRONES but only after arguing about it ad nauseum", the Free Council'a only real positive point is how they responded to the Seers' attempt to court them: throwing literal and metaphysical bombs at them.

To be clear, I love the Free Council. I just think that as a structural conceit, the big-tent humanist order (especially as combined with the WW house style for splat concepts and an implicit focus on tech and modernization) is inevitably going to lead to the corniest writing.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The big thing the Free Councilers have going for them is that their splatbook's cover is totally sick.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jhet posted:

It was the first one written, presumably while the core book was still being written.

Many mistakes were made.

So basically the same issue the Mage part of WOD: Chicago has?

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Jhet posted:

Many mistakes were made.

It was not.

Guardians was the first one written, while the core book still hadn't come out. You can tell, 'cos it happily copied the format and chapter layout of the Requiem Covenant Books. Then Mysterium.

Free Council was the *middle* one of the five, but they decided to experiment with changing the format. Adamantine Arrow... Went straight back to the old one.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Dave Brookshaw posted:

It was not.

Guardians was the first one written, while the core book still hadn't come out. You can tell, 'cos it happily copied the format and chapter layout of the Requiem Covenant Books. Then Mysterium.

Free Council was the *middle* one of the five, but they decided to experiment with changing the format. Adamantine Arrow... Went straight back to the old one.

That's my bad then. It does make it even sadder that it wasn't nearly as good as the other 5 order books. Even the Seers got a decent book out of the 1e. Maybe that's :thejoke: Free Council in 2e got a much better shake.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Thanks for the answers

Theres currently a sale on nwod books, including a crossover book called the contagion chronicles

Is it any good. Is there a lot of beast poo poo in it if so ill skip it

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurtofan posted:

Thanks for the answers

Theres currently a sale on nwod books, including a crossover book called the contagion chronicles

Is it any good. Is there a lot of beast poo poo in it if so ill skip it

Not really. Reaction to it was very mixed on the whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

It's a chronicle book where the connective tissue between story hooks is threadbare at best, and a crossover book where most of the useful and interesting crossover material is in its Player's Guide supplement. Even having the base PDF is one of my biggest kickstarter regrets.