Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mameluke posted:

i don't know why they're bothering aping the visuals when they've clearly embraced the absolute worst of jackson, walsh, and boyens' takes on the dialogue. people will feel that iconic lord of the rings feel with classic lines like "this could be the beginning of a new era"

they're all going to sound like josh whedon characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I feel like people have already decided what they're mad about, which is cool, saves time.

The trailer is pretty, I would definitely watch more of that, and maybe even pay a modest price for the privilege, if no other alternative presented itself

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

sticksy posted:

No Tom Bombadil

Ah yes such a loss...

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Tom Bombadil is a badass who commands ents, fears no wight and over whom The One Ring holds no power.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

2nd level spells posted:

Tom Bombadil is a badass who commands ents, fears no wight and over whom The One Ring holds no power.

And yet his scenes in Fellowship are so incredibly boring.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
That's not his fault.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

The correct way to read LOTR is to skip anything with Tom Bombadil and any poetry/ songs.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just keep opening the book to a random location and read a page at a time

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
this show looks fuckin awesome, can't wait to get high and watch some elves and poo poo

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

2nd level spells posted:

That's not his fault.

So he's a great character with no good scenes to actually, you know, read?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Demon Of The Fall posted:

this show looks fuckin awesome, can't wait to get high and watch some elves and poo poo

this is the right attitude, it won't be the equivalent of Tolkien's novels, but if we are lucky it will be a fun addition that has some neat stuff in it. i love people exploring new ideas in Tolkien, that's why i will unironically defends the shadow of war stuff.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

New images dropped

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

These photos still look like poo poo. Why don’t they take stills or something, something they’ve already processed to look good.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
how many dwarves are going to be sexy?

is sexy shelob going to be in this?

asking for a friend

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Eau de MacGowan posted:

how many dwarves are going to be sexy?

is sexy shelob going to be in this?

asking for a friend

horny is prohibit

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
the way to make this is by centering on sauron as the antihero who does increasingly vile stuff until his downfall. He is bad so we want him to lose but he is the one who makes things happen, exploits the hubris and greed of his foes and almost outwits everyone Arguably he hosed over the world even more than Melkor, and he compelled Eru to take decisive direct action which Melkor never did,. He surpassed his master despite with only a fraction of his power. There is a cool story to be told there. It would even fit if he means well to begin with and does feel some regret but by degrees become totally depraved. That way we can root for him as our bastard as the story progresses. Everyone likes charismatic boastful villains. So his arch would go from helping refugees in disguise after the war of wrath, tricking men and dwarves to accept his rings and nearly tricking the elves to sacrificing the innocent to melkor in nunemnor and finally his downfall against Isildur and Gil Galad. Sauron as Walter White /The joker basically.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

battle star composer is doing the soundtrack, with a new theme by Howard shore. (Bear M)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

whoa

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As someone whose visual understanding of the second age has largely come from Tumblr, these elves are not nearly horny enough. Why are all the men wearing shirts...?

Jury's still out on the show. I'll need to see more in motion to understand how I feel about it.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

feedmyleg posted:

As someone whose visual understanding of the second age has largely come from Tumblr, these elves are not nearly horny enough. Why are all the men wearing shirts...?

Not sure anything could possibly be horny enough if Tumblr is your baseline for expectations

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Miruvor and lembas flavored ice cream... Mmm...

https://twitter.com/saltandstraw/status/1550501624828686336

Rings of Power is presenting at Comic Con at 3:30 ET (12:30 PT).

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Just Chamber posted:

The correct way to read LOTR is to skip anything with Tom Bombadil and any poetry/ songs.

that stuff all rules though

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Just Chamber posted:

:how:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

New trailer!

https://twitter.com/primevideouk/status/1550542689757646848

Balrog! Piles of skulls! Goth Sauron?

sajobi
Feb 7, 2015

Close the world, Open the nExt
Pile of helmets. But it looks pretty good.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
That’s definitely the Battle of Unnumbered Tears

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

They cast Eminem as Sauron?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It looks and sounds exactly like Peter Jackson's films. I wish they were going for something more unique and original rather than just repackaging more of what we've already seen.

sajobi
Feb 7, 2015

Close the world, Open the nExt
Or the aftermath of War of Wrath. She does say in the trailer "We thought the war was over" or something like that.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ring a dong! hop along! Fal lal the willow!

No time for Tom, Tom Bombadillo!

Light on the budding leaf, dew on the feather,

Skip ‘ol Tom, and the story is better!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

If that is in fact Annatar that's exactly how I had envisioned him.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Your meter is abombadible :colbert:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Ginette Reno posted:

It looks and sounds exactly like Peter Jackson's films. I wish they were going for something more unique and original rather than just repackaging more of what we've already seen.

Although I get where you’re coming from, Jackson’s films are the definitive interpretation of LoTR for modern audiences and with Amazon spending so much money, they’re not going to take a ton of creative risks, especially on the very expensive production design side, to try to reimagine this.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I know it's just the marketing but lol @ 20 characters just chain rattling off platitudes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Okay, that at least looks like something. I'm unsure on the timeline, and feel like people shouldn't be wary of an evil Sauron yet (don't they accept rings from him or something real soon? I'm no LOTR expert, that's for drat sure), so that part felt weird. But other than that, I liked that trailer A LOT more that the other ones.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

what specifically are you most irritated with? The biggest through lines i see are the elves and dwarves, but what actually would you change? The orcs look different, the Numenoreans look entirely unique compared to Gondor, there have been a bunch of other pretty unique stuff like those weird dudes with the antler backpacks and stuff.

I mean at the end of the day, its all pulling from the same stuff, so how different is it going to be? the PJ movies employed 2 of the most well known, at the time, artists of Tolkien's work and I think did a very good job of representing things I only hand in my mind's eye at the time.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Okay, that at least looks like something. I'm unsure on the timeline, and feel like people shouldn't be wary of an evil Sauron yet (don't they accept rings from him or something real soon? I'm no LOTR expert, that's for drat sure), so that part felt weird. But other than that, I liked that trailer A LOT more that the other ones.

I agree on Sauron's look. He looks obviously evil, which is fine when he's among his orcs, but he has to also be charming and persuasive when he deals with elves and men.

Would you accept a magic ring from Twink Slim Shady?

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

The only things that looks very similar to the Jackson trilogy IMO are the orcs and the Balrog. They can't copy a lot of the things in the Jackson trilogy for legal reasons because Amazon doesn't own the rights(the biggest difference is how the Elves look and feel compared to the Jackson aesthetic IMO), and I believe one of the showrunners(correct me if I'm wrong) said that this isn't cannon to the Jackson trilogy, but is meant to be a companion piece that can sit on a shelf next to the books and the Jackson trilogy.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

The timeline is being hosed with. The show is condensing a large chunk of the second age, which is 3.5k years, into something digestible and not requiring huge time skips and changing out actors for humans and hobbits every season. So likely most of the major events are going to be happening in the lifespan of a Numenorean person, so 200-300 years. Other parts might be told in significant flashbacks, we don't know.

Spoilers I guess for the Sauron stuff if you'd like to remain clouded on it.

Sauron rises multiples times during the second age. In the major instances, he is put down by the Numenoreans, once without even a fight. One of the major questions regarding the show is how they will handle those 2 wars.

In the existing timeline Sauron rises in 500 SA in Mordor, and starts loving with poo poo.

Sauron comes in the year 1500 SA as Annatar and gives the rings out. This precipitates a massive war that sees most of Middle Earth conquered until the Numenoreans arrive and save the day.

in 3200 Ar-Pharazon's army is so powerful that Sauron capitulates without a fight.

Numenor sinks a couple hundred years later, the survivors found Gondor, and the Last Alliance that is shown in the beginning of the first movie happens.

William Bear posted:

I agree on Sauron's look. He looks obviously evil, which is fine when he's among his orcs, but he has to also be charming and persuasive when he deals with elves and men.

Would you accept a magic ring from Twink Slim Shady?

Sauron can shapeshift, his fair persona is Annatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The timeline is being hosed with. The show is condensing a large chunk of the second age, which is 3.5k years, into something digestible and not requiring huge time skips and changing out actors for humans and hobbits every season. So likely most of the major events are going to be happening in the lifespan of a Numenorean person, so 200-300 years. Other parts might be told in significant flashbacks, we don't know.

Spoilers I guess for the Sauron stuff if you'd like to remain clouded on it.

Sauron rises multiples times during the second age. In the major instances, he is put down by the Numenoreans, once without even a fight. One of the major questions regarding the show is how they will handle those 2 wars.

In the existing timeline Sauron rises in 500 SA in Mordor, and starts loving with poo poo.

Sauron comes in the year 1500 SA as Annatar and gives the rings out. This precipitates a massive war that sees most of Middle Earth conquered until the Numenoreans arrive and save the day.

in 3200 Ar-Pharazon's army is so powerful that Sauron capitulates without a fight.

Numenor sinks a couple hundred years later, the survivors found Gondor, and the Last Alliance that is shown in the beginning of the first movie happens.

Sauron can shapeshift, his fair persona is Annatar.

Oh right. So people would know who Sauron is, but accepted the rings from Annatar. I remember some stuff about his fair persona from the deleted scene in Return of the King, and looking up what that was about after that.