Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

DigitalRaven posted:

So my friend is currently kickstarting a feminist, queer friendly, and sex-positive tarot deck. She's spent several years working on the designs, and several of them feature people from our local nerd/hippie community (all with consent).

I've seen a pre-production sample as part of helping set up the behind-the-scenes stuff with Kickstarter, and it is gorgeous.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/katrinblackwater/katrin-blackwater-tarot

The kickstarter for this deck ends on Monday, and it's just £169 short of hitting the first stretch goal, which will get all the cards black edging. Having seen a production sample of a black-edged deck from the same publisher, it looks fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/authocracystudios/paragons-age-of-champions

My brother is part of the team getting this game off the ground. It's a class based card game in a similar vein to hearthstone except it's y'know a complete game and not based off of loot boxes and getting more cards. It plays a little more similarly to Dominion though.

They will ship with 3 classes and it can be played with 2-3 players. It's probably going to hit their goal to get funded because they have buy in from a guy who is a decent sized game franchise owner. And they're planning to get an expansion up with another couple classes next year plus ish. I'm not really the one to judge the quality of card art, but they're shooting high on the art quality.

Thanks for even just checking it out! They're excited to see their game get off the ground.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any opinion on Moonrakers? Their big box campaign launched today and I'm interested.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have the original KS and showed it to my circle of friends and they loved it.

The solo gameplay was ok. I don't like the mercenary deck and rarely buy anything from it because it's so expensive. You have to take out most of the missions because they're impossible without at least 3-4 people, if you play solo.

I wish it had a better solo component (less hard) because I'd like it more and would play it more often.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Artonos posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/authocracystudios/paragons-age-of-champions

My brother is part of the team getting this game off the ground. It's a class based card game in a similar vein to hearthstone except it's y'know a complete game and not based off of loot boxes and getting more cards. It plays a little more similarly to Dominion though.

They will ship with 3 classes and it can be played with 2-3 players. It's probably going to hit their goal to get funded because they have buy in from a guy who is a decent sized game franchise owner. And they're planning to get an expansion up with another couple classes next year plus ish. I'm not really the one to judge the quality of card art, but they're shooting high on the art quality.

Thanks for even just checking it out! They're excited to see their game get off the ground.

Art is my style, but I’m a little oversaturated with dude smashers. Best of luck to your friends!

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
I wish I knew a bit more about the art. That is kinda what they're going for as they're differentiator.

Thanks for looking. My understanding is even just looking day one improves the Kickstarter algorithm for them.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Oathsworn just delivered in a knee bucking 25kg box. They did very well to get this one out, even after having to ask the backers for a small dig out on shipping.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

HidaO-Win posted:

Oathsworn just delivered in a knee bucking 25kg box. They did very well to get this one out, even after having to ask the backers for a small dig out on shipping.

Gonna play my buddies copy on Friday. I played a very limited demo at Spiel Essen last year and it seemed ok. Looking forward to give the combat system a try.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Anyone have any opinion on Moonrakers? Their big box campaign launched today and I'm interested.

My opinion is they have too much targeted marketing at me and I find it annoying.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

A company is doing a pay-what-you-want campaign for a portable version of a Nepalese strategy game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lemerygames/bagh-chal-the-ancient-game-of-nepal

Looks like a neat little cultural variant of Fox and Geese, and it's really interesting to see someone do a pay-what-you-want physical campaign.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Darkest Dungeon board game just put out an update saying they need more money, so they're reopening the pledge manager so people can pay the additional shipping. I ran into this with a smaller project in 2020 where it was "please help with what you can, anything helps, you'll get your stuff either way" but this is more of a "here's exactly what you owe us based on pledge level, pay us or you don't get your stuff".

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 20, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I guess that happens when you budget real close to the wire and you get really close to the wire buy-ins

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

HidaO-Win posted:

Selecta84 posted:

Gonna play my buddies copy on Friday. I played a very limited demo at Spiel Essen last year and it seemed ok. Looking forward to give the combat system a try.

You all will have to let me know how it plays, I'm still waiting on mine! As someone who doesn't care about miniatures much, I was really happy that they had a cheapskate standee only version.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

StarkRavingMad posted:

You all will have to let me know how it plays, I'm still waiting on mine! As someone who doesn't care about miniatures much, I was really happy that they had a cheapskate standee only version.

No problem, I'll let you know how it was.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

HidaO-Win posted:

Nice! I’m excited for my copy but haven’t seen any shipping updates recently. Are you in the US or elsewhere in the world?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Just got my copy in NZ. It really is beautifully produced, and man is it nice to see a game with this many bits that has given so much thought to functional storage. I only had the chance to play through the first part of the story and a few rounds of combat with my wife, but I am very excited to play more. A few initial thoughts:

- The writing already seems a cut well above anything else I've played in this space (with the exception of Legacy of Dragonholt). It seems more on par with what I've come to expect from the better computer RPGs (like Bioware etc) rather than the over-or-under-written text from games like Gloomhaven, Arkham Horror LCG. It probably helps that there are frequent choices to make during the story segment so you're not just sitting through multiple paragraphs of text with no sense of agency or being a character in the world. We're not far in and I'm already interested in the world, our characters and the choices we're having to make.

- I can only assume that James Cosmo (the narrator for the story parts) was paid by the word rather than by the hour, since not even full-stops put a dent in his break-neck reading speed. His voice is great, but a lot of the impact of the text is lost because of the speed at which it's read, to the point that at times it's hard to even catch all the relevant details. This feels like a real shame - but still better than reading it out ourselves I think.

- Every aspect of the game we've encountered so far seems really well produced, from the quality of the writing to the artwork to the considerations about storage and how to save your characters between sessions. This feels like a very very polished game, unlike something like 1st ed Gloomhaven that was fantastic, but pretty cumbersome and rough in places.

- The story mode was fun based on the strength of the writing, but the choices you make so far feel fairly arbitrary of the 'do A or B but you don't really have much of an idea what the outcome of either will be' variety. Similarly, probably because of the necessary simplicity for a board game rather than a computer game, the choices sometimes felt a bit unnecessarily binary where we would have liked to pick a more nuanced option than what was available.

- The combat system seems interesting and fun - even in the first few rounds of combat there were meaningful decisions to make about positioning, timing, resource management etc. I was playing one of the more complex characters (the Witch) so I don't know if this is equally true of the more basic characters, but there are so many to choose from and a lot with higher levels of complexity that I think anyone who cares about a deep combat system probably can find something satisfying here. It does feel at least at this stage a little lighter than Gloomhaven, probably cos GH is so incredibly front-loaded with a full hand of ~10 cards each of which have two abilities to choose from, compared to a much smaller number of cards here each of which usually only has one ability. I much prefer this style of enemy though (fighting bosses rather than lots of small enemies) since it gives way more options for having interesting and varied enemy behaviour. We didn't really play enough to see how well this is implemented here, but hopefully there's good variety - and even in the first fight, the fact that it is an enemy with minions that have very specific swarming behaviour is cool and will require specific tactics to defeat.

- I like the mechanic where enemies have hitpoint die for different locations, and you need to hit them from different angles to wear down these dice (and there are triggers that activate when you destroy a location, both good and bad). It seems this will force a more dynamic combat regardless of the enemy behaviour than certain other games (Townsfolk Tussle being the most recent one that comes to mind) where depending on enemy AI, you can end up having multiple turns where nobody moves and you just roll dice to bash each other. It seems like there will also be quite a bit of strategy about timing when to destroy enemy locations, since the character that does the final hit to a location will eat an enemy attack and so you'll ideally want this to be your tankier characters after your glass-cannon types have reduced them to nearly zero.

- It is a table hog. We have a table that has had no problem fitting Cthulhu Wars, Planet Apocalypse and other enormous games and this one is still going to be a squeeze. The fact that the board is huge (cos of the extra large minis) plus the fact that you need space around your player board to cycle cards means that this really only just fits and requires having quite a bit of stuff off to the sides that is difficult to reach. On the plus side, in keeping with the game's excellent storage design, most of the components you need for each stage of the game are stored inside their own box or organiser, so as long as you don't try and keep all the game pieces for the entire game within reach (since you don't actually need them), it's probably quite possible to fit stuff in. I'm just used to keeping the game box on the table so I can access extra pieces as needed, but that actually doesn't seem necessary here.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Kerro posted:

Just got my copy in NZ. It really is beautifully produced, and man is it nice to see a game with this many bits that has given so much thought to functional storage. I only had the chance to play through the first part of the story and a few rounds of combat with my wife, but I am very excited to play more. A few initial thoughts:

- The writing already seems a cut well above anything else I've played in this space (with the exception of Legacy of Dragonholt). It seems more on par with what I've come to expect from the better computer RPGs (like Bioware etc) rather than the over-or-under-written text from games like Gloomhaven, Arkham Horror LCG. It probably helps that there are frequent choices to make during the story segment so you're not just sitting through multiple paragraphs of text with no sense of agency or being a character in the world. We're not far in and I'm already interested in the world, our characters and the choices we're having to make.

- I can only assume that James Cosmo (the narrator for the story parts) was paid by the word rather than by the hour, since not even full-stops put a dent in his break-neck reading speed. His voice is great, but a lot of the impact of the text is lost because of the speed at which it's read, to the point that at times it's hard to even catch all the relevant details. This feels like a real shame - but still better than reading it out ourselves I think.

- Every aspect of the game we've encountered so far seems really well produced, from the quality of the writing to the artwork to the considerations about storage and how to save your characters between sessions. This feels like a very very polished game, unlike something like 1st ed Gloomhaven that was fantastic, but pretty cumbersome and rough in places.

- The story mode was fun based on the strength of the writing, but the choices you make so far feel fairly arbitrary of the 'do A or B but you don't really have much of an idea what the outcome of either will be' variety. Similarly, probably because of the necessary simplicity for a board game rather than a computer game, the choices sometimes felt a bit unnecessarily binary where we would have liked to pick a more nuanced option than what was available.

- The combat system seems interesting and fun - even in the first few rounds of combat there were meaningful decisions to make about positioning, timing, resource management etc. I was playing one of the more complex characters (the Witch) so I don't know if this is equally true of the more basic characters, but there are so many to choose from and a lot with higher levels of complexity that I think anyone who cares about a deep combat system probably can find something satisfying here. It does feel at least at this stage a little lighter than Gloomhaven, probably cos GH is so incredibly front-loaded with a full hand of ~10 cards each of which have two abilities to choose from, compared to a much smaller number of cards here each of which usually only has one ability. I much prefer this style of enemy though (fighting bosses rather than lots of small enemies) since it gives way more options for having interesting and varied enemy behaviour. We didn't really play enough to see how well this is implemented here, but hopefully there's good variety - and even in the first fight, the fact that it is an enemy with minions that have very specific swarming behaviour is cool and will require specific tactics to defeat.

- I like the mechanic where enemies have hitpoint die for different locations, and you need to hit them from different angles to wear down these dice (and there are triggers that activate when you destroy a location, both good and bad). It seems this will force a more dynamic combat regardless of the enemy behaviour than certain other games (Townsfolk Tussle being the most recent one that comes to mind) where depending on enemy AI, you can end up having multiple turns where nobody moves and you just roll dice to bash each other. It seems like there will also be quite a bit of strategy about timing when to destroy enemy locations, since the character that does the final hit to a location will eat an enemy attack and so you'll ideally want this to be your tankier characters after your glass-cannon types have reduced them to nearly zero.

- It is a table hog. We have a table that has had no problem fitting Cthulhu Wars, Planet Apocalypse and other enormous games and this one is still going to be a squeeze. The fact that the board is huge (cos of the extra large minis) plus the fact that you need space around your player board to cycle cards means that this really only just fits and requires having quite a bit of stuff off to the sides that is difficult to reach. On the plus side, in keeping with the game's excellent storage design, most of the components you need for each stage of the game are stored inside their own box or organiser, so as long as you don't try and keep all the game pieces for the entire game within reach (since you don't actually need them), it's probably quite possible to fit stuff in. I'm just used to keeping the game box on the table so I can access extra pieces as needed, but that actually doesn't seem necessary here.

100% thought you were talking about My Father's Work until the combat paragraph. I've seen the exact same sentiments about storage, writing, and app narration for that game.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

rydiafan posted:

Darkest Dungeon board game just put out an update saying they need more money, so they're reopening the pledge manager so people can pay the additional shipping. I ran into this with a smaller project in 2020 where it was "please help with what you can, anything helps, you'll get your stuff either way" but this is more of a "here's exactly what you owe us based on pledge level, pay us or you don't get your stuff".

Wow that's... bold. I sort of get the economic realities of it, especially when the cost of printing and shipping games has to have increased substantially in the last year or so in a way you probably couldn't completely predict.

I've never backed a game that had to reopen pledges like that, though I did back a KS of a friend of a friend, where they ended up cancelling the campaign about halfway in even though they were on track to hit their funding goal probably a week or so before the end, because basically they did a bunch of research and figured out that the most they could ask for a new company with a new title and expect it to look reasonable would be $50k... and for the development of the game to be in any way sustainable, they really needed to hit $50k on day one and launch past it for the remainder of the campaign.

So hitting their projected, feasible goal wasn't going to make development sustainable, but also they couldn't expect to set the goal any higher and still meet it. It's tough to make games. And it's not like these people are new to making games, they're veteran designers and developers in the industry, this is just a new company they've formed to do their own games. The game is functionally complete and developed (a friend who played it said it was shippable as is, just not very pretty) but there's still so much time and money that has to go into marketing and I'm sure like so many kinds of projects, the last 10% of development takes 70% of the time, or whatever the numbers are that people like to throw around in those situations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Chip Theory Games has an expansion out for Burncycle and a re-print of the base game if you missed it the first time around, over on Gamefound: https://gamefound.com/projects/chip-theory-games/burncycle-new-recruits--series-reprint.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I haven't seen a positive review of it yet

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Bottom Liner posted:

I haven't seen a positive review of it yet

Of Burncycle? I really like it. It’s like Invisible Inc as a board game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

MockingQuantum posted:

Wow that's... bold. I sort of get the economic realities of it, especially when the cost of printing and shipping games has to have increased substantially in the last year or so in a way you probably couldn't completely predict.

I had one project that had this happen and they just asked people for donations to help cover the increased cost of shipping. No games were held hostage, just a simple enough, non obligatory request that helped reduce the amount that someone was eventually going to eat.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

GrandpaPants posted:

I had one project that had this happen and they just asked people for donations to help cover the increased cost of shipping. No games were held hostage, just a simple enough, non obligatory request that helped reduce the amount that someone was eventually going to eat.

Oathsworn did this too. It's not super-clear from reading the update, but it did sound as if it was pretty much non-optional if you wanted your game shipped so I had a lot of sympathy for people who's financial situation had changed and couldn't easily come up with the extra (though it sounded as if they were willing to find workarounds in some of these cases). I didn't mind paying the extra though as it seemed they really made an effort to communicate as best they could and be as transparent as possible about the situation, including throwing in some of their own money to help cover the shipping costs. I don't think there's any good answer in these situations, a lot of smaller publishers simply couldn't come up with the extra cash to ship the games on their own so it's either require backers to pay more, or no-one gets anything. I do think how this is communicated and explained makes a massive difference to community goodwill and willingness however.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Vidmaster posted:

Nice! I’m excited for my copy but haven’t seen any shipping updates recently. Are you in the US or elsewhere in the world?

Ireland.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Yeah Oathsworn were very transparent about their problems and asked for a fairly moderate extra donation to help cover the costs. Game has built up a lot of hype so hopefully the reprint will make them some profit.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

People are going insane on the darkest dungeon page. Glad I backed out of Hel, mythic games have like 4 or 5 undelivered games?

Peterson Games is also screwed. Tough times for kickstarters.

Wish I had backed Oathsworn though, I know there's a second printing but it's going to be so expensive

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Whoa Petersen Games is screwed?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Yeah they fired a bunch of staff including one of his sons and return to planet apocalypse and the dinosaur one have had literally no actual content updates since the campaigns finished.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

CODChimera posted:

Yeah they fired a bunch of staff including one of his sons and return to planet apocalypse and the dinosaur one have had literally no actual content updates since the campaigns finished.

Sounds like waiting for Space Cthulhu Wars or whatever its called will be back to "forever" again.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

kinkouin posted:

Sounds like waiting for Space Cthulhu Wars or whatever its called will be back to "forever" again.

Only two more years before Hyperspace finishes reviewing the last 8 models!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Castles of Mad King Ludwig is starting to arrive for people in Australia at last - helps being close to China I guess! The way their update is phrased, and the way everything is generally awful over here, we in Europe will probably only get ours in September, if we're lucky...

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The number of gigantic dudes on a map game Petersen Games was kickstarting for awhile really was something. It kind of made me feel like "there's got to be something going on beneath the surface here", even if I had no idea what that might be.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Vidmaster posted:

Only two more years before Hyperspace finishes reviewing the last 8 models!

:negative:

The Moon Monster posted:

The number of gigantic dudes on a map game Petersen Games was kickstarting for awhile really was something. It kind of made me feel like "there's got to be something going on beneath the surface here", even if I had no idea what that might be.

Yeah, I should have checked, but having seen a friend whip out Cthulhu Wars, I wanted in :(

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I mean, they shipped several, it's not like they were scamming people. They were just not great at doing so on time (actually really bad at it) and COVID etc really hosed over much more organized and efficient companies, let alone Petersen Games.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I mean, there is only so bad I can feel, considering Sandy is kinda like his second cousin Jordan: surprisingly fascist, even for the internet.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My friends launched an RPG they’ve been working for 5 years on Indiegogo! It’s called Ryne, and it’s inspired by Tales of Earthsea, Studio Ghibli and The Banner Saga, and is set in a wild fantasy world where ghosts are real and titans shape the landscape.

If it sounds like your thing, you can check it out here:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ryne/x/29132309#/

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

The_Doctor posted:

My friends launched an RPG they’ve been working for 5 years on Indiegogo! It’s called Ryne, and it’s inspired by Tales of Earthsea, Studio Ghibli and The Banner Saga, and is set in a wild fantasy world where ghosts are real and titans shape the landscape.

If it sounds like your thing, you can check it out here:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ryne/x/29132309#/

That's some nice art and a cool concept.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Finally got around to writing the financial post-mortem for The Map is not The Territory if you're interested in learning from my mistakes.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

have no idea what the point of a Darkest Dungeon boardgame was supposed to be. The videogame, but slower and more cumbersome??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

potatocubed posted:

Finally got around to writing the financial post-mortem for The Map is not The Territory if you're interested in learning from my mistakes.

This is cool and interesting. Thanks for doing this!