Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Genius!

I haven't driven my car in a month, so now the battery is dead. I biked over to AutoZone to pick up a car battery charger. God drat pain in the rear end car. On the plus side, I've progressed so far into my car free life that my battery drained from lack of use. Pretty impressive for living in Houston.

The last phase of my car ownership before I got rid of it entirely was angrily going out once a week to idle the stupid thing for a few minutes so the battery would stay charged. Good luck in Houston, looking back on it I'm not sure how I didn't die on my bike there, but fortunately only 1 car swerved at me as a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Bollards are the solution. You press the walk sign, and bollards block the road.

when you think about how terrifying and deadly this would be for drivers, there’s no way.

imagine if something could just appear in front of your car and there’s no way you could have stopped and it kills you!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

CongoJack posted:

There is a few of these kind of things near me, I stopped at one when there was someone waiting to cross and some peice of poo poo in a giant gleaming pickup behind me was gesticulating wildly at me for having the audacity to yield to a pedestrian.

There's one of these near me too:

it's there specifically because there's an elementary school there away from a normal crosswalk, the speed limit is 25mph, and it lights up like a Christmas tree, and people still do not give a gently caress. They drag race through this little commercial area at 40mph.

mystes
May 31, 2006

RRFB's are completely useless

Even HAWK signals are kind of dubious compared to normal lights in terms of actually getting drivers to stop but drivers just universally ignore RRFB's. I assume most drivers just don't think they have to stop for them but I wouldn't be surprised if some drivers are just missing them since they aren't where they're looking and I think they're actual barely visible in some light conditions too.

Edit: This is a dumb one I've encountered:

Two lanes in each direction on a road that encourages people to speed and it has tons of traffic at a lot of times of day.

It's totally unsafe for it to be an RRFB and I don't understand why they didn't just make it a normal light. At least there's sort of an island in the middle.

mystes has issued a correction as of 00:01 on Jul 22, 2022

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
a few states (i know indiana does) have giant signs at some busier ones that read "STATE LAW: MUST [STOP] FOR PEDESTRIAN IN CROSSWALK" and i've still almost been hit in those exact crosswalks with those signs.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Peanut President posted:

a few states (i know indiana does) have giant signs at some busier ones that read "STATE LAW: MUST [STOP] FOR PEDESTRIAN IN CROSSWALK" and i've still almost been hit in those exact crosswalks with those signs.

Maybe they should try tweeting about it, you probably almost got hit because they didn't tweet about it.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

mystes posted:

RRFB's are completely useless

Even HAWK signals are kind of dubious compared to normal lights in terms of actually getting drivers to stop but drivers just universally ignore RRFB's. I assume most drivers just don't think they have to stop for them but I wouldn't be surprised if some drivers are just missing them since they aren't where they're looking and I think they're actual barely visible in some light conditions too.

Edit: This is a dumb one I've encountered:

Two lanes in each direction on a road that encourages people to speed and it has tons of traffic at a lot of times of day.

It's totally unsafe for it to be an RRFB and I don't understand why they didn't just make it a normal light. At least there's sort of an island in the middle.

I think you hit on the real issue of RRFBs: they're like a thoughts and prayers device placed at incredibly dangerous crossings

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I was impressed with the RRFB that the city installed on the main bike path, but it was thoroughly vandalized within a few weeks of deployment, and local residents keep destroying it as soon as the road crew installs new poles

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I had to look up a video of these RRFBs in action. God drat it's stupid. How did anyone think this is a good idea? Maybe it will encourage more drivers to stop for pedestrians, but the real danger is the 10% of drivers that will run over a pedestrian through negligence. If you aren't paying enough attention to notice a pedestrian at a crossing, then a flashing light probably won't help you either.

The "i hate cars solution" is bollards pop out when you hit the cross walk button to murder any driver that would harm you. The actual intelligent solution would be traffic calming to force cars to slow down at the cross walk, like bollards to narrow the road or a high raised crossing that acts like a giant speed bump.

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I was impressed with the RRFB that the city installed on the main bike path, but it was thoroughly vandalized within a few weeks of deployment, and local residents keep destroying it as soon as the road crew installs new poles
LOL where was this?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Actually to be fair there are a couple RRFBs on one bike path around here that are okay but they are 1) motion activated and trigger well before you get to the crossings and 2) are in low traffic places where drivers already almost always stop for bikes at the crossing, so they really just serve to give drivers who were already going to stop a little advance warning that a bike is approaching, and I guess given those conditions they aren't completely terrible.

In every other situation (so like 99% of the ones I've seen) they're just garbage where someone must have thought "well we should put a light here but that would slow down cars so let's just put a homeopathic light up instead"

mystes has issued a correction as of 03:12 on Jul 22, 2022

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

LOL where was this?

Del Paso Boulevard in Sacramento, one of the few at grade crossings on the river trail and by far the busiest.

Apr 7, 2003

Ah, Excremento

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Peanut President posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

i used to live right next to that sign, weird!

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's honestly scarier to use a crosswalk and trust that people will yield vs "jaywalking" when you see a gap. At least then you can size up the situation and know that no one is going to stop

yep. Drivers simply can’t be trusted. I’ve had people stare directly at me as they roll through stop signs right when I’m stepping into the street. Might as well be invisible

Apr 7, 2003

heated game moment posted:

yep. Drivers simply can’t be trusted. I’ve had people stare directly at me as they roll through stop signs right when I’m stepping into the street. Might as well be invisible

I had a guy years back get out of his car and try to pick a fight with me because I crossed in front of his car which was stopped at a sign.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

these days I'm often pushing a stroller around the city and it's amazing to see drivers continue to run stop signs and red lights and violate my right of way in crosswalks even with a loving one year old right in front of them. starting to feel like I don't even have to make the case that cars are bad anymore because these drivers are doing it for me

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://www.outsideonline.com/culture/love-humor/nick-offerman-column-thoreau-candy-rear end/

I read this this morning and rode my bike in instead of walking/busing like I usually do, and I had a lovely ride. Bikes!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

definitely posted this before but it's extremely disheartening how many people don't slow down or even give me very much space when i am pushing my son around on his stroller in my neighborhood. we don't have sidewalks (houston is hell, even relatively central neighborhoods) so i am walking around on residential streets, but people still zoom by at like 30 mph with barely a foot of clearance. that kind of hostility to adult pedestrians is normal but it shocks me every time that people seem to not even care about a kid young enough to be in a stroller. i hate this place sometimes lol

Apr 7, 2003

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

these days I'm often pushing a stroller around the city and it's amazing to see drivers continue to run stop signs and red lights and violate my right of way in crosswalks even with a loving one year old right in front of them. starting to feel like I don't even have to make the case that cars are bad anymore because these drivers are doing it for me

Yesterday at a T intersection I saw a guy make a right on red onto the long leg of the T, pull a U turn, and take a right to keep going straight. Impressive rules lawyering to save 10 seconds.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Bollards are the solution. You press the walk sign, and bollards block the road.

I can never get enough of these classics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIas-5pwpZk

mystes
May 31, 2006

jackhunter64 posted:

I can't wait for AnimeIsTrash to come in and saying that we're all wrong for enjoying videos of cars getting wrecked by bollards

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

I can't wait for AnimeIsTrash to come in and saying that we're all wrong for enjoying videos of cars getting wrecked by bollards

A stressed restaurant worker here went into a parking garage and smashed up some expensive cars with a fire extinguisher. A radio guy here got mad about it because, and I quote, "I hate it when people beat up something that can't fight back."

Like the cars were living beings or something. Carbrain really fucks you up.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A stressed restaurant worker here went into a parking garage and smashed up some expensive cars with a fire extinguisher. A radio guy here got mad about it because, and I quote, "I hate it when people beat up something that can't fight back."

Like the cars were living beings or something. Carbrain really fucks you up.
Property rights are just the only rights that are taken seriously in the US.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Important reminder that car companies hate you and are actively working for you to die.
https://twitter.com/michael_ulf/status/1550178413876576257?t=Yy65fhwS8n1LAmImQzI4yQ&s=19

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Cugel the Clever posted:

Important reminder that car companies hate you and are actively working for you to die.
https://twitter.com/michael_ulf/status/1550178413876576257?t=Yy65fhwS8n1LAmImQzI4yQ&s=19

terrible city

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

i saw a news clip celebrating that lax will finally be hooked up to their light rail system next year

uh better late than never, i guess?

Wolfy has issued a correction as of 20:54 on Jul 22, 2022

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Living in Chicago I never understand cities that DON'T have thier airports connected to their transit systems. It's just the most natural obviousl place to extend the train to. This includes DC, NYC, DFW etc. major metor area's that have either had mass transit for years, or are finally building it out, and they still can't seem to connect their airports. It's bizarre.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Living in Chicago I never understand cities that DON'T have thier airports connected to their transit systems. It's just the most natural obviousl place to extend the train to. This includes DC, NYC, DFW etc. major metor area's that have either had mass transit for years, or are finally building it out, and they still can't seem to connect their airports. It's bizarre.

Even the very limited light rail in Minneapolis will take you from the airport to downtown, or even to St. Paul.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The airport that's actually in DC has been connected to transit forever and flying out of when you're in downtown DC is one of the best airport experiences because of that.

As for Dulles... I haven't lived there since like 2016 and the silver line has taken forever but I guess the second phase is finally being finished and will go to the airport now except that IIRC it will go somewhere weird like the long term parking lot and require a shuttle or something dumb like that because they picked a bad design to save a little money.

The old WMATA bus to dulles was actually pretty decent but for some reason the people operating the airport hated it and refused to provide any indication of its existence or where in the airport it departed from for years. The weirdest thing was how after they finished phase one of the silver line they were trying to promote this terrible and very expensive private bus service that went from the end of the silver line to the airport (I assume bribery was involved).

mystes has issued a correction as of 21:06 on Jul 22, 2022

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

mystes posted:

The airport that's actually in DC has been connected to transit forever and flying out of when you're in downtown DC is one of the best airport experiences because of that.

yeah i'll do just about anything to fly out of national instead of dulles or bwi

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

today there was apparently a "go slow" protest on the motorways in the UK, as a protest against high petrol prices. not quite sure why any particular fossil fuel company is supposed to notice but I'm all for it.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

telling how they thought that going slower would be a sufficiently bad thing. BP is going to recoil in horror from the psychic damage of a car not going full speed.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lobster shirt posted:

definitely posted this before but it's extremely disheartening how many people don't slow down or even give me very much space when i am pushing my son around on his stroller in my neighborhood. we don't have sidewalks (houston is hell, even relatively central neighborhoods) so i am walking around on residential streets, but people still zoom by at like 30 mph with barely a foot of clearance. that kind of hostility to adult pedestrians is normal but it shocks me every time that people seem to not even care about a kid young enough to be in a stroller. i hate this place sometimes lol

Why is this shocking? Americans don't give 2 shits about kids. It's almost as if we're a garbage people

lobster shirt posted:

terrible city

All told it's probably the worst in the country.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

dxt posted:

even to St. Paul.

horror of all horrors

jk

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

jackhunter64 posted:

why do multiple people touch (and taste?) the car blood that spilled on the ground in the 2nd one???

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Milo and POTUS posted:

All told it's probably the worst in the country.

Yeah landfill for the most egregious dregs of American culture

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

distortion park posted:

today there was apparently a "go slow" protest on the motorways in the UK, as a protest against high petrol prices. not quite sure why any particular fossil fuel company is supposed to notice but I'm all for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoCX_UOFpVk

fela kuti recognized the strangling nature of the automobile / capitalism combo and put it to music way before any of those dopes had the idea. and now they adopt his protest to try and sustain the same lifestyle he was deriding! ha!!

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Our new light rail system (starting I 2025 ready in 2035 lmao) was originally running to our city's airport but then that was canned because people felt like light rail to an airport was a bad investment because rich people could get taxis there instead. (Note it also passed through most of the biggest central suburbs to get to the airport, including a relatively poor immigrant/refugee suburb )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

probably a big reason is that most supposed airports associated with “Big City” are often close to an hour away and usually not even in the city limits. the ones with airports actually in the city and close usually have a train connection

basically that’s a lot of extra rail to go far out potentially even outside jurisidiction for a stop.
we semi recently connected our airports with BART and well, it’s useful, I use it, but in terms of ridership it’s been a pretty big “flop”. lotta reasons for that though

but yes it’s dumb and they should be and america is bad