Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Xlorp posted:

The Corinthian Crunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I always think of that one guy from the Everest TV show sitting at the summit and saying to the camera 'Nothing is more important to me than my kids'. I mean-- obviously that's not true or you wouldn't be taking this huge unnecessary risk. I suppose he didn't say 'nothing is more important to me than making sure my kids don't lose their father' but I feel like that should be bundled in, when you have kids. Like, try not to die. At least while they're little.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/KkOLHsw.mp4

Nah thanks.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
A bunch of people just successfully did the ascent and descent of K2, the mountain that has a 1:6 kill ratio and today is the 10 year anniversary of some Polish dude skiing down the drat thing.

This interview with Norwegian Kristin Harila is pretty interesting (she summited recently). She's an ex cross-country skier who decided to climb all the 8kers in six months but she also gives credit where credit is due- she basically says she walked up and didn't have to do anything.

quote:

“In this sense, I have a different narrative than the one in Purja’s film. This is not about one person doing something amazing. There are so many people involved! For me, it is essential to show the work that the Sherpas are doing. I have Pasdawa and Uncle Dawa [Dawa Wongchu is Pasdawa’s uncle] with me…I want to share the record with them because they deserve it so much. I hope they can complete the challenge with me.”

Besides her two Sherpa companions, Harila notes the work done by all those working in the mountains, from rope-fixing teams to porters. And of course, logistics teams, which are vital for this kind of project.

https://explorersweb.com/six-down-eight-to-go-interview-with-kristin-harila/

Also if anyone wants to read about the skier dude because it's going to be interesting to see if he can make it down all of the major ones.
https://www.sbnation.com/2018/7/23/17602358/andrzej-bargiel-polish-daredevil-skied-down-k2-giant-balls-giant-giant-balls

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Did that rope snap? Wtf! Those ropes are almost impossible to break with human weight (say hi to your mom for me).

E: looks like the carbiner or attachment failed?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I haven’t climbed in a few years but back in the day anchor failures were the most common cause of accidents like that. Ropes are easily damaged by rocks and loading, and they are not rated to hold the weight of a human that has been accelerated over some distance.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The pro came out :(

^^ And, yep, you need to record the number of hard falls a rope has endured, plus a very conservative estimate of the height. Genuine not-making GBS threads-you climbing rope is only rated to such-and-such number and height of falls.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 22, 2022

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Outrail posted:

Did that rope snap? Wtf! Those ropes are almost impossible to break with human weight (say hi to your mom for me).

E: looks like the carbiner or attachment failed?

it's trad climbing. you put your own anchors in! the rope didn't snap the tools holding the rope to the wall just failed. it's expected and that's why you put loads in when going up.

e: you can see he's got loads of stuff hanging from his belt. those are the things you put in the wall to anchor the rope to.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 22, 2022

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

I haven’t climbed in a few years but back in the day anchor failures were the most common cause of accidents like that. Ropes are easily damaged by rocks and loading, and they are not rated to hold the weight of a human that has been accelerated over some distance.

Holding humans that have accelerated over some distance is the whole point of dynamic climbing ropes. They are rated in terms of fall distance to total rope length in the system. I believe the standard is something like 7 immediately repeated factor ~1.7 falls with 80 kg weight. So falling 17 feet onto 10 feet of rope. In the gif, the guy only falls to the height of his belayer, so the maximum possible fall factor is 1 (fall the same length as the amount of rope in the system). It’s true that ropes running on sharp edges can cut easily but in this case I think he just placed lovely protection in the rock and the protection failed.

When sport climbing ropes often take hundreds of falls with no issue because the fall factors are smaller (like 0.1-0.5) and probably not that many climbers ever take a 1+ factor fall in their life.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

he blew his pro, it happens

and it's also why i was never really interested in trad lead. expensive as hell, and poo poo Happens a lot more often than it does when you're clipping into to something bolted into the rock

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Anachronist posted:

Holding humans that have accelerated over some distance is the whole point of dynamic climbing ropes. They are rated in terms of fall distance to total rope length in the system. I believe the standard is something like 7 immediately repeated factor ~1.7 falls with 80 kg weight. So falling 17 feet onto 10 feet of rope. In the gif, the guy only falls to the height of his belayer, so the maximum possible fall factor is 1 (fall the same length as the amount of rope in the system). It’s true that ropes running on sharp edges can cut easily but in this case I think he just placed lovely protection in the rock and the protection failed.

When sport climbing ropes often take hundreds of falls with no issue because the fall factors are smaller (like 0.1-0.5) and probably not that many climbers ever take a 1+ factor fall in their life.

I never climbed indoors before, in my experience people were falling slightly scary distances and shredding ropes on granite pretty regularly, so you’d be replacing a rope every few weeks or months.

Sometimes you can see the damage, sometimes you can’t. Always a fun roll of the dice after a few falls.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sport climbing doesn't mean climbing in a gym. realistically if your rope is getting shreaded that often, your anchors and setup are kinda hosed up. there really shouldn't be much occasion for your rope to be significantly dragging across the rock, getting stepped on, etc

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
The idea of replacing one's rope every few weeks is absolutely ludicrous.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

gohuskies posted:

The idea of replacing one's rope every few weeks is absolutely ludicrous.

That's probably what that one guy thought when he went for one more jump off a cliff with an old rope and it broke and he died.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Cojawfee posted:

That's probably what that one guy thought when he went for one more jump off a cliff with an old rope and it broke and he died.

Dan Osman. That dude was nuts. Whether he knew it or not, every time he went out to climb, he was attempting suicide. Like the Chris McCandless of free climbing.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

its this: https://www.climbing.com/people/climbing-mental-health/

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Do you mean Dan Osman? It probably was not due to an old rope, more likely a change in jump site resulting in rope-on-rope cutting. I guess hard to say for sure but hardly conclusively worn out rope. More here: https://groups.google.com/g/rec.climbing/c/gW92OrNs7_o?pli=1

If you are referring to another incident, maybe so! Most famous fatality due to worn gear I know is Skinner. His belay loop (not the rope) was more than a couple weeks old though.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Dan Osman left ropes on the crag overnight and then jumped off using them with no inspection

If you're doing something that requires replacing a rope every few weeks, I, uh, don't even know where to start with that one. You're either doing something incredibly irresponsible, incredibly wrong, or incredibly exciting

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Don't call yourself an ice warrior if you're not buying sun bleached second hand rope in Kathmandu market before your fatal winter ascent of Lhotse.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is really good, and also pretty disturbing.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

honda whisperer posted:

Agreed.

I think this outlier thing happens in everything that gives you adrenaline. Most people go more more morreee oh gently caress and quit or back up a bit.

I worked on one guys car who went 200hp road race to 300hp turbo road race to 480hp lmao group b style road race and quit.

Another person had me slap a turbo on his Hayabusa. When he brought it up I told him to skip the expense and just get into wingsuits. He rode it once and sold it. The guy who bought it is into wing suits now.

It's drugs. Most people don't. Some do and go that's cool and move on or just a little drugs. A very few wind up tcc super stars.

Combat sports are the same sort of way. It's awesome when you're young and you push because you're the baddest guy on earth but then you get older and you break a rib, feel your neck get tweaked bad, or just plain cant get out of bed one morning because you're just spent and you go ehhhh you know maybe I should focus on other things in life.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Combat sports are the same sort of way. It's awesome when you're young and you push because you're the baddest guy on earth but then you get older and you break a rib, feel your neck get tweaked bad, or just plain cant get out of bed one morning because you're just spent and you go ehhhh you know maybe I should focus on other things in life.

I can see that.

Is the other option steroids and well just a little turns into a dark path?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

honda whisperer posted:

I can see that.

"There are old climbers, and there are bold climbers, but there are no old, bold climbers."

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

honda whisperer posted:

I can see that.

Steroids are one of the reasons you feel unbeatable and awesome when you are young.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
that Honnold/Mitbo video has lead to me watching dozens of other climbing videos and all the climbing documentaries i could find

and now im seriously considering going to the climbing gym near me despite my terrible fear of heights + being completely out of shape. it just looks so god damned fun

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Find a bouldering gym, it's way accessible

Also maybe frustratingly hard at first, but power through and you'll find that there's a huge puzzle aspect to it, it's fun

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Aphex- posted:

Anyone with an interest in the Himalayas should definitely hike the Annapurna Circuit at some point. One of the coolest things I've ever done.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ante posted:

Find a bouldering gym, it's way accessible

Also maybe frustratingly hard at first, but power through and you'll find that there's a huge puzzle aspect to it, it's fun

Nah, go straight to free climbing some sheer slabs. Ropes will break and just weigh you down anyway. It'll be fine.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Steroids are one of the reasons you feel unbeatable and awesome when you are young.

You can feel that way again, if you're open to the idea of trying them. As long as you work hard (and you will work harder than you ever have before) they will make you better, quicker, at anything athletic.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Unless you are a middle aged man, in which case they will just kill you.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Mister Speaker posted:

You can feel that way again, if you're open to the idea of trying them. As long as you work hard (and you will work harder than you ever have before) they will make you better, quicker, at anything athletic.

Gonna take my camshows to the next level.

null_pointer posted:

Oh, nevermind.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
All juiced up, no experience, El Capitan.

Get ready for this summer's smash hit reality tv show "Climbin' Guidos".

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hoof Hearted Ice Melted

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

null_pointer posted:

What exactly do you think TRT is?

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

AARD VARKMAN posted:

that Honnold/Mitbo video has lead to me watching dozens of other climbing videos and all the climbing documentaries i could find

and now im seriously considering going to the climbing gym near me despite my terrible fear of heights + being completely out of shape. it just looks so god damned fun

Have you watched the Reel Rock series yet? It's on red bull tv. Some really good episodes in there.
Or the Dawn Wall movie?

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

A bunch of people just successfully did the ascent and descent of K2, the mountain that has a 1:6 kill ratio

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/jul/28/australian-man-among-two-climbers-found-dead-on-k2

They made it to 7600m then turned around - no details about what happened to them but they were missing for a week.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Climbing good. Go climb.

Also the latest Edge of the Earth episode is about big wall climbing so there’s more content available!

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Jumpsuit posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/jul/28/australian-man-among-two-climbers-found-dead-on-k2

They made it to 7600m then turned around - no details about what happened to them but they were missing for a week.

And Afghani mountaineer Ali Akbar Sakhi also passed away after becoming the first Afghani to ascend the mountain, graciously leaving the descending achievement for future generations but I didn't want to start the season on a downbeat. Not to be a ghoul laughing at rich people dying but in the vein of most Nascar fans I applaud the successful start and finish of each race with all the drama inbetween but I am also going to hoot and holler when a car pinwheels into the stands.

https://www.khaama.com/afghan-mountaineer-passes-away-climbing-k2-mountain-473983/

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'm going to withhold judgement until I know the net worth of the decreased individuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

stratdax posted:

Have you watched the Reel Rock series yet? It's on red bull tv. Some really good episodes in there.
Or the Dawn Wall movie?

Saw Dawn Wall, great doc. Thanks for the tip on the Reel Rock series, watched a few of those the other night.

also did some climbing inspired DALL-E prompts