Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

TUTBAD Maybe they'll stop now, I blame Verity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
TUTBAD: Alfric is gonna feel completely vindicated by this and also reaffirm his commitment to never get with Mizuki. Which, honestly is probably the smart choice considering how hilariously this is gonna blow up.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I demand it happen anyway.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

BtDEM wow Selkie now THAT is a cliff! :munch:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Double post but who cares. I’m catching up on TWI after taking a break from it after Pisces wakes up in Roshar, and all I have to say is: Crusader 57 is precious and must be protected at all costs. “gently caress YOU, Kbtch!”

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

navyjack posted:

BtDEM wow Selkie now THAT is a cliff! :munch:

Yeah I thought I was mostly done getting new patrons after the Night interlude had so many people joining.

NOPE.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Zore posted:

TUTBAD: Alfric is gonna feel completely vindicated by this and also reaffirm his commitment to never get with Mizuki. Which, honestly is probably the smart choice considering how hilariously this is gonna blow up.

Crazy talk.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Zore posted:

Who would have thought that two young people's first relationship that mostly stemmed from wanting what the other has going wrong???
Alfric and Mizuki are a far better potential match anyway.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Selkie Myth posted:

Yeah I thought I was mostly done getting new patrons after the Night interlude had so many people joining.

NOPE.

If they read the interludes they would know Iona can speak any language. Not as surprising from the readers perspective (still a little that she can sense that Elaine speaks English)

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TWI Patreon: Chaos walks.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

They're gonna turn the wandering inn into the first multinational corporation

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
TUTBAD 119: I've been waiting to see what the inciting incident is for one of the core 5 (along with the herb dragons) to get "kidnapped" by the-suspicious-woman-who-is-probably-a-dragon-in-disguise, and I strongly suspect this is it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
TWI public: danger zone

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Teriarch footage: https://youtu.be/m7wSA1-50DE

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Re: Beneath the Dragoneye Moons

It's been clear this meeting would happen since the first Iona chapter. I'm liking how the long term set up is playing out here.

Elaine having grown to become the word for healer rules.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
TUTBAD: Well that is certainly a shakeup

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Been reading Pact and it's genuinely impressive how wildbow manages to make things just keep getting worse. It felt like rock bottom three arcs ago, and yet things have managed to fall apart even more. Worm at least had periods of stability and gathering strength. Pact starts at "your totally hosed" and just steadily gets worse and worse. I'm at the part where Blake is taking his friends and family into the Abyss to try and help them. And I've got no idea how this story can keep going for another 4 arcs but I'm real curious to find out.

Also Green Eyes is just the best.

Edit: Goddammit Rose.

Patrick Spens fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 22, 2022

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Patrick Spens posted:

Been reading Pact and it's genuinely impressive how wildbow manages to make things just keep getting worse. It felt like rock bottom three arcs ago, and yet things have managed to fall apart even more. Worm at least had periods of stability and gathering strength. Pact starts at "your totally hosed" and just steadily gets worse and worse. I'm at the part where Blake is taking his friends and family into the Abyss to try and help them. And I've got no idea how this story can keep going for another 4 arcs but I'm real curious to find out.

Also Green Eyes is just the best.

Edit: Goddammit Rose.

I'm not trying to be rude here... But what is the attraction of that to a reader? 'Everything is miserable and is getting worse' sounds exhausting to read imo.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Peachfart posted:

I'm not trying to be rude here... But what is the attraction of that to a reader? 'Everything is miserable and is getting worse' sounds exhausting to read imo.

Haha it was. I kept wanting them to have a break and explorer their available powers and abilities, but it is not the progression fantasy i apparently want everything to be.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Yeah it's exhausting. But A) it's cathartic, much like some people like being scared by movies or video games, I like it when fiction makes me feel anxious, trapped or hopeless. B) the overpowering bleakness makes the non-bleak parts shine brighter. There's a recurring gag where Evan, the ghost of a young boy in the form of a sparrow, keeps trying to convince magic users to light him on fire so he can be a phoenix, or infuse death essence into him so he can be a sparrow of death because that would be totally metal you guys. And that's not a great gag but it's much funnier in the context of how scary and miserable everything else is.

Similarly, the protagonist being a limitless font of gumption is hardly a rare thing in webnovels and other nerdy media, it's a lot more inspiring to read when they actually have to go through some serious poo poo.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
it is very impressive how wildbow keeps making worse things, yes

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Patrick Spens posted:

Yeah it's exhausting. But A) it's cathartic, much like some people like being scared by movies or video games, I like it when fiction makes me feel anxious, trapped or hopeless.

Ah, okay, I think I understand why I hate Wildbow and also horror movies. I personally don't like any of that.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Peachfart posted:

it's a nice change of pace to feel bad about something that isn't my life

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Peachfart posted:

Ah, okay, I think I understand why I hate Wildbow and also horror movies. I personally don't like any of that.

Yep, this is why I tell people not to read him. He is unrelenting in his search for a not very interesting nadir beyond the latest not very interesting nadir. Then, goons being goons, they all tromp off to verify that yes it is a hole.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Peachfart posted:

what do you think about the fantasy author Robin Hobb

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Piell posted:

TUTBAD: Well that is certainly a shakeup

What the actual gently caress Verity. I uh, don't really know how they continue on from here

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Ah, I'm glad to see we've rotated from the classic "Pirateaba's work is bad and people who read her are bad" back to the even more classic "Wildbow's work is bad and people who read him are bad".

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Zore posted:

What the actual gently caress Verity. I uh, don't really know how they continue on from here

Therapy.

day-gas
Dec 16, 2020

nrook posted:

Ah, I'm glad to see we've rotated from the classic "Pirateaba's work is bad and people who read her are bad" back to the even more classic "Wildbow's work is bad and people who read him are bad".

tbh wandering into this thread a little while ago, it was nice knowing that I wasn't crazy for finding Ward incredibly boring. Going slowly through the backlog was additional fun because every ten pages wildbow happened again which really gives you strength to keep moving.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The thread's opinion on Wildbow has changed a lot of the years. Originally nearly everyone thought he was amazing and the best writer of all time, and it has slowly moved towards distaste for many as time as gone on.
But everyone is different and likes different stuff, we all just have our opinions to share.

Speaking of opinions, I decided to pick up Prophecy Approved Companion last week, and I just finished with Book 1. It is... Good. Not amazing, but good. The plot really picks up from the middle to the end of Book 1, but the writing itself is competent. Just wanted to mention it since I don't think I have seen it in this thread.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Latest chapter of Calamitous Bob is great. Always love when others first meet Solfis or Arthur and this chapter was probably the best of that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Peachfart posted:

The thread's opinion on Wildbow has changed a lot of the years. Originally nearly everyone thought he was amazing and the best writer of all time, and it has slowly moved towards distaste for many as time as gone on.
But everyone is different and likes different stuff, we all just have our opinions to share.

Speaking of opinions, I decided to pick up Prophecy Approved Companion last week, and I just finished with Book 1. It is... Good. Not amazing, but good. The plot really picks up from the middle to the end of Book 1, but the writing itself is competent. Just wanted to mention it since I don't think I have seen it in this thread.

Its pretty good. The middle book feels pretty fillerish but the 3rd book has finally started hitting some serious payoff and its going to a more interesting place.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
honestly, i have a soft spot for reading about relentless misery, but for me if the setting seems like it is becoming contrived to torture its characters it tends to lose me.

thats why I was so into The Fifth Defiance with Prevailer basically being Snoop from the Wire with godlike power and then completely lost interest when the twist that the extradimensional entities are responsible for literally everything that happened in the setting was revealed.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kyoujin posted:

Latest chapter of Calamitous Bob is great. Always love when others first meet Solfis or Arthur and this chapter was probably the best of that.

Bob ftw

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

day-gas posted:

tbh wandering into this thread a little while ago, it was nice knowing that I wasn't crazy for finding Ward incredibly boring. Going slowly through the backlog was additional fun because every ten pages wildbow happened again which really gives you strength to keep moving.

I mean there’s nothing wrong with thinking wildbow is a bad writer and posting about it, Anias’s post just wandered past that directly into a “and people who read him are dumb idiots” zone that rubbed me the wrong way

e: I actually read book 1 of prophecy approved companion awhile ago and it mixes a fun premise and a good dynamic between the protagonist and the player with very mediocre prose; this was enough for me to enjoy it, but others’ mileage may vary.

nrook fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 23, 2022

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

nrook posted:

I mean there’s nothing wrong with thinking wildbow is a bad writer and posting about it, Anias’s post just wandered past that directly into a “and people who read him are dumb idiots” zone that rubbed me the wrong way

e: I actually read book 1 of prophecy approved companion awhile ago and it mixes a fun premise and a good dynamic between the protagonist and the player with very mediocre prose; this was enough for me to enjoy it, but others’ mileage may vary.

You can tell goons not to do something because it is mediocre and no matter what it is some goon will reply with "ACTUALLY" and another goon will immediately go forth to verify that it is Actually Mediocre. I wasn't calling someone dumb, I was noting that goons being goons none of us are willing to take someone else's word for something being awful. We'll all listen when someone says "this is great" but generally need to verify for ourselves just what level of atrociously bad thing someone has come to report about.

See also digging and wells.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
To be honest, the discussion repeatedly swerving to Wildbow or TWI or whatever kind of makes the thread drag for me, not because I necessarily agree/disagree with those opinions but because I primary use this thread to find new stories and the x hundredth post about one of those everyone's already aware of doesn't help with that. I'm not a mod or anything though, so post what you want.

For real, though, there are apparently (at this moment) 56,841 stories on RR alone and let's be honest, most of them stink. Finding good ones is hard. So that this isn't me being hypocritical, here are some less known stories I've been reading:

Jackal Among Snakes Follows the often dreadful "Guy gets reincarnated into his favorite game" formula, but does a relatively decent job of it I feel. This one kind of combines elements of "reincarnated into an RPG" and "reincarnated as a villainess" genres (The MC is male both before and after reincarnation, but takes over a widely disliked midboss-ish character). If you hate the formula probably give this one a pass, but otherwise it has fun worldbuilding and characters. The MC is rather unrealistically quick to adapt to his circumstances but honestly I dislike the moping MC cliche so that worked for me, and he's both witty and clever with using his knowledge of the setting without crossing the line into annoying perfect.
Rating: A very fun light read if you're as tolerant of the genre as I am.

To Play With Magic A system apocalypse LitRPG with the caveat that the system apocalypse hasn't happened yet, featuring a small group of humans transplanted to an alien world with the goal of eventually returning to Earth in time to ameliorate the coming system integration. Though I have my doubts it will ever really get to the return to Earth part and will probably continue being mostly about exploring the alien LitRPG world. Definitely a numbers go up story, though less number heavy than something like Dragonseye Moon or (god forbid) Azarinth Healer. Updates slowly and inconsistently but at over two years old has accumulated a decent backlog.
Rating: Enjoyable. Above average for a System Apocalypse LitRPG story but that isn't always saying much.

Somebody Stop Her Deserves some kind of award for most misleading description. Presents itself as a comedy about a young supervillainess, rapidly adopts heavy elements of child neglect and body horror, including a race of monsters that body and mindjack people in order to turn their bodies into organic hives for their spawn. Tries to remain a comedy despite this. Also likes to play games with an unreliable (non)narrator in that it's never really clear if the titular child villainess is telling the truth or being extremely manipulative, which annoys me when all the other nominally heroic characters readily accept her arguments on why they should be her minions.
Rating: I dropped it, as it checks a lot of my "avoid" boxes, but the writing is decent if it interests others.

Apocalypse Redux: Another System Apocalypse LitRPG that got recommended to me, featuring the last man alive on Earth after humanity is destroyed by rampaging system generated monsters getting a chance to go back in time and do it over again. A fairly generic story for the genre with an OP MC and lots of fighting, but at least it updates quick and seems to be avoiding anything actively dislikeable. It also focuses on the preparing the world aspect instead of single-handedly killing all the monsters and becoming more powerful, which was a pleasant change. I liked To Play with Magic more but this one's here if you really like this sort of story. And this one does update far quicker.
Rating: Average, which is still better than most LitRPG stories.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 23, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anias posted:

You can tell goons not to do something because it is mediocre and no matter what it is some goon will reply with "ACTUALLY" and another goon will immediately go forth to verify that it is Actually Mediocre. I wasn't calling someone dumb, I was noting that goons being goons none of us are willing to take someone else's word for something being awful. We'll all listen when someone says "this is great" but generally need to verify for ourselves just what level of atrociously bad thing someone has come to report about.

See also digging and wells.

I do feel better when I post some absolute dogshit story and other people have read or are bored enough to try it too, because at least I didn't suffer alone.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Thanks for the reviews Bremen. I'll add my thoughts to the ones I've read.

Bremen posted:

To Play With Magic A system apocalypse LitRPG with the caveat that the system apocalypse hasn't happened yet, featuring a small group of humans transplanted to an alien world with the goal of eventually returning to Earth in time to ameliorate the coming system integration. Though I have my doubts it will ever really get to the return to Earth part and will probably continue being mostly about exploring the alien LitRPG world. Definitely a numbers go up story, though less number heavy than something like Dragonseye Moon or (god forbid) Azarinth Healer. Updates slowly and inconsistently but at over two years old has accumulated a decent backlog.
Rating: Enjoyable. Above average for a System Apocalypse LitRPG story but that isn't always saying much.
I was annoyed when I discovered the characters never make it back to Earth. The writer dropped the story after "completing" it before getting back to Earth and picked it back up after more than a year with a jarringly different tone. If you go into it knowing the story isn't getting back to Earth, possibly ever, you may enjoy it more.

Bremen posted:

Somebody Stop Her Deserves some kind of award for most misleading description. Presents itself as a comedy about a young supervillainess, rapidly adopts heavy elements of child neglect and body horror, including a race of monsters that body and mindjack people in order to turn their bodies into organic hives for their spawn. Tries to remains a comedy despite this. Also likes to play games with an unreliable (non)narrator in that it's never really clear if the titular child villainess is telling the truth or being extremely manipulative, which annoys me when all the other nominally heroic characters readily accept her arguments on why they should be her minions.
Rating: I dropped it, as it checks a lot of my "avoid" boxes, but the writing is decent if it interests others.
I found this one very amusing at first. Everything Bremen says about it is true, so I'd recommend dropping it whenever it stops being fun. The writer seems to have an increasingly difficult ground of balancing humerous and consequential at the same time the way they want to as the story progressives, and starts swerving back and forth more and more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Adding actual content? Okay fine, I guess. I recently read
Doing God's Work which is set in the viewpoint of Loki, a depowered God that has to work help desk for a lazy and kinda of a jerk Yahweh. It is well written and comes out rather infrequently due to health issues with the author, but I think it is getting close to the end. I recommend it, it made me laugh and the plot is original.