Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

your stuff remains cool, much like your game it it is less about being a technical marvel than an artistic vision and small touches.

also generally really happy you're still posting rather than continuously getting yourself into dumb trouble

thanks dude, and yeah i’ll take that about the artistic vision :D

toiletbrush posted:

That's really nice!

Has anyone had any joy modelling the swirly textures inside bowling balls?

maybe this might help https://twitter.com/simonthommes/status/1268266569890705408?s=21&t=lHvUAvY0b7xxSwXFnTzfnw

distortion park posted:

Not an interesting composition or good execution but it's neat that doing the "physical" thing of putting a distorted mesh inside the glass sphere just works and gives a serviceable (if render time expensive) result

what do you consider a big render time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

echinopsis posted:

what do you consider a big render time

For me if I can't get a reasonable feel for the scene within a few seconds in the cycles live view then I get a bit frustrated. I'm still pretty new to Blender so I don't have a good feel for what shader changes will do, and I have to proceed by trial and error. Maybe I'll get more patient/have a higher success ratio with more experience.

Also I'm doing this on an M1 macbook pro which might not help

That nebula technique looks incredible

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
this is cool as heck, but isn't quite right - i want the wispy, cloud-like-ness, but the way it reflects light needs to be sort of specular/metallic. its like it needs to simulate a cloud of billions of little metallic spheres rather than just a volume which diffusely scatters light, which might be beyond what you can do with just a shader

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm you’re right,

maybe geo nodes would work for it, but I’d be looking into particle effects because I understand them better, but both are pathways to many instances of reflecting spheres. perhaps with volume scattering as well .. idk lots to play around with

distortion park posted:

For me if I can't get a reasonable feel for the scene within a few seconds in the cycles live view then I get a bit frustrated. I'm still pretty new to Blender so I don't have a good feel for what shader changes will do, and I have to proceed by trial and error. Maybe I'll get more patient/have a higher success ratio with more experience.

Also I'm doing this on an M1 macbook pro which might not help

That nebula technique looks incredible

it’s fun to play with, and animate too. somewhere on the web is an animated one I’ve made lol

i’m a bit the same as far as feeling frustrated but guess that’s why over the years I’ve ended up with a 24 thread ryzen and 3060ti and i won’t lie it’s no slouch lmao

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

toiletbrush posted:

That's really nice!

Has anyone had any joy modelling the swirly textures inside bowling balls?

I tried for ages during Nodevember and basically had no luck, using a swirly-noise distorted sphere with a metallic & pearlescent texture, inside a plastic sphere, but it wasn't quite right. It's almost like you want a principled volume but rather than diffusing or scattering it's sort of metallic :confused:

Would something like this work, or is this something you've tried already?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HadP0b6gSzg

It looks a bit different in the video, might be closer to what you're looking for. Not a volume, though.

Sailor Dave fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 30, 2022

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Not the full effect but using FalseNegative's marble shader nodes then hooking the Magic Texture colour up to the subsurface colour gets one aspect of the bowling ball look:

Perhaps that plus the crinkly/metallic effect from the video above would work well enough for anything other than a close up.

e: that nebula effect is really tough to get right. Getting something which is like 10% of the "good" result is easy, but any progress beyond that is really tough. Still, have learn about volume shaders now!

distortion park fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 30, 2022

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

distortion park posted:

Finally did some geometry node tutorials and made baby's first fractal.

Spent ages trying to work out how to make a random selection of whole cubes into emitters, eventually managed it via Realize Instances and then Mesh Islands, but discovered that object based light sources have garbage performance Vs normal lights. Was fun though! Going to try some more stuff.

Any recs for short, practical tutorials on any sort of node based blender things?

Simon Thommes just released an intro to geometry nodes course on blender studio. I did his shader course before and it was pretty good.

https://studio.blender.org/training/geometry-nodes-from-scratch/

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

When working with geonodes and textures you can pass values from geonodes to the textures by adding it as an output to the geo nodes group output, naming the attribute in the geo node modifier options panel, then using an attribute node in the texture to access the value.

So you could use an attribute capture node to get the index of each point pre-instancing, generate a random value between 0 and 1 with the captured index as the index input for the random value and then pipe that over as a factor to drive a color ramp in your texture

I could not for the life of me get this to work until I found this very detailed explanation (which also moaned about the difficulty):
https://blender.stackexchange.com/q...b6d231a4ab5ec1c

In particular, I was missing the "naming the attribute in the geo node modifier options panel" step, and setting the domain wrong in the group output panel. Very tricky bit of config IMO.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

that exact same thing gave me grief when I was making those tentacles I posted above. when following a tutorial every single tiny step needs to be followed exactly or it just doesn’t work lol

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
After a ton of work and a final animation push that took me from 12am - 6am yesterday I finally completed the (major) polish pass for the fight scene between Driver and Monster (nothing is final blah blah):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amvgnPbQlLI

Details are in the description but the short of it is: All the actions the driver takes got massively fleshed out, camera angles were adjusted for clarity and a bunch of effort went into re-rigging the sawblade, adding a rig to the cigarette for a few seconds of action towards the end and a bunch of incidental actions that nobody will ever notice or care about but would drive me crazy if I didn't put them in.

This signifies just over a third of the animation being completed, around 2:40 of the 6 minute(!) runtime. I'll be taking a small break to play some videogames and stuff before returning to the project, but since the interactions are now largely the two characters doing their own thing for a little while it shouldn't be nearly as exhausting to have to convincingly animate both of them interacting. VFX for the fight (blood dust fire blah blah) is either placeholder or completely missing because there's no sense in adding it until I'm completely happy.

For comparison, this was the old version of the scene, timestamped for when it starts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drv7ZGV-7vQ&t=40s

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 1, 2022

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

spent a while on this and am fairly happy with the result. Wood is a texture but the grid and stones are all node based. Hardest bit was getting the distribution of the stones looking vaguely reasonable.

idk what's going on with the white on the side. Main thing I'd like to change is that the edges of the board are bevelled, but super straight. Is there a good way of adding a bit of roughness to the edges of a mesh? Or is it a texture thing (displacement doesn't seem to effect occlusion of whatever's behind the object).

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
wow that looks super good

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

that looks great, dig the marbling on the whites.

for adding noise to the edge in geonodes, you can use a set position node for that to add a tiny bit of noise to the position of the points on the board. something very small.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

distortion park posted:

(displacement doesn't seem to effect occlusion of whatever's behind the object).

Displacement modifier uses the actual geometry of the object, so if you have something that is basically a cube (8 vertices), it won't do much.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

you can also put the edge vertices in a vertex group and add a displace modifier with a noise texture and play around with the parameters until it looks good. this assumes you have a lot of geometry to begin with though as it just displaces the vertices, it doesn't add geometry like a displacement map with adaptive subdivision

e: somewhat beaten but I think dp was talking about shader displacement, not the modifier

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

you can also put the edge vertices in a vertex group and add a displace modifier with a noise texture and play around with the parameters until it looks good. this assumes you have a lot of geometry to begin with though as it just displaces the vertices, it doesn't add geometry like a displacement map with adaptive subdivision

e: somewhat beaten but I think dp was talking about shader displacement, not the modifier

Yeah I was trying to do it with shaders - some people online say to add transparency at the edges, but that seems like a massive pain. Using the actual geometry seems like it would work nicely for very detailed closeups.

Looking at images like this though:

Maybe I was approaching it wrong - even those pretty beat up blocks have very straight edges it terms of occlusion - it's probably doable with just textures? But how do you easily get the "beat up edge" texture to stick to the (right) edges?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

distortion park posted:

Maybe I was approaching it wrong - even those pretty beat up blocks have very straight edges it terms of occlusion - it's probably doable with just textures? But how do you easily get the "beat up edge" texture to stick to the (right) edges?

i could have sworn this was what the bevel input was for but i can't get it to paint the edges like i would expect so I think I'm holding it wrong

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I've managed to make soft edges by plugging a bevel input into the normal of the principled BSDF node, you have to play around with the radius and the samples

or you could just bevel the geometry

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

sheepit renderfarm is having a deal this week until the 11th where renders don’t cost any points

also they added the option to donate points to other users. if you need some help for a long render hit me up, I have more points than I could possibly use

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jenny Agutter posted:

sheepit renderfarm is having a deal this week until the 11th where renders don’t cost any points

also they added the option to donate points to other users. if you need some help for a long render hit me up, I have more points than I could possibly use

same

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Extremely cool volume cube and volume to mesh nodes being added:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y-GyKBv_GU

Better version of what I was trying to do with matrixes and metaballs a while back.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yeah it’s cool. you can do sdfs with it too, like what i was doing before but easier. also more limited though and it’s not really much faster

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

same old poo poo

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

hell yeah echi, did you use a material for the water or the ocean modifier?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

same old poo poo

i like the arteries

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 22, 2022

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

:rodtronics:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

hell yeah echi, did you use a material for the water or the ocean modifier?

the “water” is a zinc coated metal texture

fart simpson posted:

i like the arteries

you’re welcome

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s not so easy to create a good sense of scale using that generated landscape stuff

discovered a trick where in the compositor you put a normalize node into the z pass output (which you have to turn on) and then feed that into a colour ramp and use it to mix between the original image and a mist colour, basically a mist effect, to at least give a sense like things further away are misty and far away

it’s why a lot of cg artists put small people in the image to create that sense of scale but I didn’t want to do what everyone else does so I did something worse instead

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

echinopsis posted:

but I didn’t want to do what everyone else does so I did something worse instead

i feel you on this so much

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and yeah that’s um the only reason my poo poo doesn’t look better, I chose to do it worse on purpose

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i decided to try using blender for underlay/layout work for a personal project, instead of CAD, and gosh it's so different from CAD or the rendering software i use for my job

anyway i look forward to learning it more as i do more layout work!

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Gnossiennes posted:

i decided to try using blender for underlay/layout work for a personal project, instead of CAD, and gosh it's so different from CAD or the rendering software i use for my job

anyway i look forward to learning it more as i do more layout work!

i built a hill house/tower in minecraft that kind of resembled that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

it’s not so easy to create a good sense of scale using that generated landscape stuff

discovered a trick where in the compositor you put a normalize node into the z pass output (which you have to turn on) and then feed that into a colour ramp and use it to mix between the original image and a mist colour, basically a mist effect, to at least give a sense like things further away are misty and far away

it’s why a lot of cg artists put small people in the image to create that sense of scale but I didn’t want to do what everyone else does so I did something worse instead

that mist thing is a known trick for making sense of scale, similar to how a really shallow depth of field makes things look tiny

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://giant.gfycat.com/ThoroughHollowKittiwake.mp4

an oldie. I like the light making the volume glow

https://giant.gfycat.com/InnocentNaiveArchaeopteryx.mp4

and this one is from 2013 lol. must have taken forever to render. luxrender for sure

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 23, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I dare everyone to post one or a few of their own personal fave renders (as in ones you've done youyrself)

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

echinopsis posted:

the GTA games use that atmospheric haze trick really well. the mountains in GTA 5 are ridiculously small (takes less than 10 minutes to go all the way up by foot) but from afar they look huge.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

I dare everyone to post one or a few of their own personal fave renders (as in ones you've done youyrself)

https://i.imgur.com/lIEGniN.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/AKDpygy.mp4

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol at the hotdog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperDepressing
Feb 19, 2011

echinopsis posted:

I'm working on making an as accurate as possible Toyota 2000GT model.