Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Milo and POTUS posted:

You can have a harbor in a desert? Will wonders never cease

lol of course americans have made harbors in the desert

Phoenix is full of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
A sky harbor is where planes dock?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

dirt harbor

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I wonder why americans have negative sympathy for british people complaining about the heat

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Americans hate everyone, including other Americans.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SirPablo posted:

A sky harbor is where planes dock?

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

hifi posted:

I wonder why americans have negative sympathy for british people complaining about the heat

americans, hating the british? certainly nothing historical

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

the British are the only clearly worse group that Americans can poo poo on without seeming jealous or pathetic

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I don't know, I was thinking going back to being part of the commonwealth would be an improvement?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TehSaurus posted:

I don't know, I was thinking going back to being part of the commonwealth would be an improvement?

This is what no royal tours does to a mf.

Letting William parade around the U.S. would cure you of that notion, as it did in several Caribbean nations.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
look america is bad but at least were not British

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

A Bakers Cousin posted:

look america is bad but at least were not British

this is true but there are some aspects of British communal life that are absent in America, which makes it feel more alienating here. like being called “love” by strangers, queues, the pub, the football, the blitz, the transphobia… :britain:

Seriously what’s with the transphobia. Don’t read about the peep show guys IRL because you realize they’re not joking when they go on about “women having vaginas” on the show and are firm on that as a political position

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 01:32 on Jul 23, 2022

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
A bunch of island nations have already left very recently because gently caress that colonial era garbage and King Charles will probably cause Australia and New Zealand to finally peace out. In countries where Diana was the only royal that anybody liked Charles is really hated because of his weird abusive spouse vibes towards her. There’s even a dedicated government minister in Australia laying the groundwork for becoming a republic once the queen is dead. So they’ll potentially start shedding some of the larger economies from the commonwealth, especially if those countries leaving prompts discussions in India, Canada, Malaysia, etc

The main upside is being able to play in an off brand version of the Olympics that is easy to dominate the medal tally in because there’s no America or China to compete with

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

Don’t read about the peep show guys IRL because you realize they’re not joking when they go on about “women having vaginas” on the show and are firm on that as a political position

I thought David Mitchell was still meant to be alright, or has something new come up?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

dr_rat posted:

I thought David Mitchell was still meant to be alright, or has something new come up?

the other guy

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

:dudsmile:

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

What makes these things so flammable?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Rip Testes posted:

What makes these things so flammable?

Most things are flammable if you apply enough voltage to them

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

the other guy

that kind of makes sense even having only watched a few first episodes

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

biceps crimes posted:

the British are the only clearly worse group that Americans can poo poo on without seeming jealous or pathetic

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

biceps crimes posted:

you forgot about australia and to a lesser extent canada

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Irony.or.Death posted:

you forgot about australia and to a lesser extent canada

Australians are mainly seen as funny party Brits without the ill feeling toward mainland britons afaict

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mawarannahr posted:

Australians are mainly seen as funny party Brits without the ill feeling toward mainland britons afaict

i started a job thats half NA half aus and the aussies are all really tightly wound workaholics its so weird

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/CentralDakSWXC/status/1550664313211437057

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Enfys posted:

Phoenix is full of them

I visited Phoenix recently for a lovely wedding at a very nice suburban house, and the property was built on a former pecan orchard. The yard had a bunch of weird culverts in it and after asking about them turns out the yard gets flooded once a week by the same irrigation system that used to service the old orchard.

And I thought that was extravagant for Phoenix, lol. The hosts did make use of the irrigation to grow a bunch of beautiful citrus trees on their property, though

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

imo phoenix should go neighborhood to neighborhood and pay people to rip out their lawns, use flood irrigation and have a professional crew xeriscape their lawn. instead we get dipshit USA today/guardian columnists/somethingawful posters wondering about why people are using flood irrigation instead of just setting their lawn sprinklers to come on for 3 hours every night

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Gripweed posted:

Hey what's the British national animal?

This poo poo pisses me off to no end. The brits try to claim the lion, the dragon, and a loving unicorn as their national animals. It’s not good enough for them to appropriate the coolest animal in all the colonies, these loving limeys try to steal the best mythical creatures from elsewhere too.

And they will try to defend it too, they will claim the dragon was invented in wales or the first lions came from Liverpool. They are all beyond hope.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

how is the British national animal not, like, the eel or the gammon or the nonce

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

hifi posted:

imo phoenix should go neighborhood to neighborhood and pay people to rip out their lawns, use flood irrigation and have a professional crew xeriscape their lawn. instead we get dipshit USA today/guardian columnists/somethingawful posters wondering about why people are using flood irrigation instead of just setting their lawn sprinklers to come on for 3 hours every night

Most people don't have grass.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxVgF2uJa4I

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hifi posted:

They had a nice green lawn too, lol

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

SirPablo posted:

Most people don't have grass.

mission accomplished then

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

DoombatINC posted:

how is the British national animal not, like, the eel or the gammon or the nonce
i would have guessed ‘football hooligan’ :britain:

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Looks Iike it’s the Pacific Northwest’s turn this coming week. I know it’s hotter in *checks notes* everywhere else, but our relative lack of AC makes weeks like this more dangerous than you’d think.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Forgot to attach the alert.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

DoombatINC posted:

that last one is reserved for their head of state

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Enfys posted:

Phoenix is full of them

wtf are the boats for?? Where in that pond are you gonna go w it???

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Enfys posted:

Phoenix is full of them

they smell like rear end

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I have never really been on a pleasure boat but just observing from land it seems like most boat people drive the boat out a few feet and then drink heavily while not moving or maybe driving the boat in circles. Sometimes they jump in the water or do water skiing but this is extremely rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Pryor on Fire posted:

I have never really been on a pleasure boat but just observing from land it seems like most boat people drive the boat out a few feet and then drink heavily while not moving or maybe driving the boat in circles. Sometimes they jump in the water or do water skiing but this is extremely rare.

you’re missing boat sex but otherwise you got boat ownership besides the never ending maintenance costs.