Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Retro 1980s style and the name (xanny) may be the user who requested it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Also people (including doctors) don't believe in actual medicine and give you occasionally-toxic herbs instead.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but isn't China the main recipient of poached rhino horns which is used in their sorcery traditional medicine?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but isn't China the main recipient of poached rhino horns which is used in their sorcery traditional medicine?

If it’s endangered and it’s an animal, then yes.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

If it’s endangered and it’s an animal, then yes.

Yeah China is the biggest market - practically the only market - for endangered animals. Bear, tiger, rhino, and elephants are farmed and / or trafficked throughout China, and the parts are used as magical ingredients for a wide variety of purposes.

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/event/wild-laws-china-and-its-role-illicit-wildlife-trade

https://www.un.org/en/chronicle/article/will-china-say-no-wildlife-trade

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/19/science/wildlife-trafficking-china.html

Kaal fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 23, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Yeah endangered species trade is huge there. In fairness it is illegal and the Chinese government does crack down on it to an extent, but the demand is high and it goes on regardless.

Where I lived you could go to one of the wet markets downtown and they had endangered sea turtles and stuff in tanks for you to buy. That's for bragging rights though, you pay obscene amounts of money and get to tell everyone you ate an endangered species.

Most TCM isn't rhino horn and poo poo though, it's just herbs with arsenic in them or herbs that have no active ingredients at all so the guy crushes up a fatal dose of acetaminophen and mixes that in so it does something. Before the liver failure.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
And don't Chinese doctors and surgeons traditionally expect bribes, sorry, "good luck gifts"?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bribes are required but it's for a decent reason as bribes go, because doctor pay is set by the government and has not been increased in decades so a doctor is being paid literally like $500 a month. Which is not a remotely reasonable wage in a city for anyone, let alone a doctor. So the bribe fills in the gap.

There aren't really nurses either so if you're in the hospital and no one can stay with you to take care of you, welp. Good luck getting food.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Coincidentally, Last Podcast on the Left just taught me about the concept of black-market blood slaves that pop up in SE Asian healthcare systems where patients have to source their own blood transfusions to use during surgeries.

https://www.scmp.com/news/people-culture/social-welfare/article/3167429/blood-slave-kidnapped-chinese-crime-gang

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's a problem in China too, people are very reluctant to give blood. Again there's a good reason for it, there have been multiple scandals where needles were reused and tons of people got HIV from it. I had to refuse and make a scene once to get a fresh needle at a medical test.

And I wasn't allowed to give blood when I tried in Korea since foreign blood will kill Koreans if they get it. They're a different species and can't handle it.

Sorry about all the China derails, I'll shut up if people want but I keep seeing stuff to reply to.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think it’s interesting. It beats all the stuff I hear third-hand. Maybe you could post some more in the CE thread instead of here?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

It's a problem in China too, people are very reluctant to give blood. Again there's a good reason for it, there have been multiple scandals where needles were reused and tons of people got HIV from it. I had to refuse and make a scene once to get a fresh needle at a medical test.

And I wasn't allowed to give blood when I tried in Korea since foreign blood will kill Koreans if they get it. They're a different species and can't handle it.

Sorry about all the China derails, I'll shut up if people want but I keep seeing stuff to reply to.

This is all super interesting, please feel free to continue

edit: or the other thread, but either way it's good postin'

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

This is the only one I read since I am a Goon but I have never been in a Platoon but am interested in non-insane Ukraine posting. There's a China thread in GBS which is a tankie free zone, incidentally the only Chinathread where a lot of the posters have lived in China and a bunch of Chinese (and HK/Taiwan) goons post.

I'll persist until McNally fires a musket at me.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
It's honestly pretty interesting content, even if it ain't Ukraine chat

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

TELL US ABOUT THE FANS

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A.o.D. posted:

TELL US ABOUT THE FANS

That’s South Korean iirc.

Edit:
Yep and to a lesser extent Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death?wprov=sfti1

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
21st Century continuing to be weird/cool.

https://signmyrocket.com/

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 23, 2022

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
This is the interesting chat thread for when nothing is going on in Ukraine (measurement systems, Chinese customs)

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Consistently the best derails on the entire forums here. Also I'm not a GiPper but the current events thread is an excellent bookmark

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Soul Dentist posted:

Consistently the best derails on the entire forums here. Also I'm not a GiPper but the current events thread is an excellent bookmark

Grand Fromage posted:

I'll persist until McNally fires a musket at me.

can I get a Rand McNally av so I don't have to look at Reagan

Rand McNally: where people wear hats on their feet, and hamburgers eat people!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Your pagh is not weak, and I am not disgusted. Also I'm going to repost this to the Star Trek thread.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4008064&perpage=40&noseen=1

I posted in QCS please press F for me. The mod is actively and I mean without irony blaming Buca on Azov. So any posts of support would be appreciated.

I know this is kind of OT, but it's just repulsive and if I get a sixer for it, so be it. I think it's worth it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
efb

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Marshal Prolapse posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4008064&perpage=40&noseen=1

I posted in QCS please press F for me. The mod is actively and I mean without irony blaming Buca on Azov. So any posts of support would be appreciated.

I know this is kind of OT, but it's just repulsive and if I get a sixer for it, so be it. I think it's worth it.

Asking for support is dumb because you need a certain kill to actually have anything done on QCS and you'll just be laughed at for asking for it as is happening.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
lol, and then get probated for "spreading interforum drama", apparently. Nevermind that C-SPAM's genocide denial and nihilistic accelerationism seep constantly into other spaces.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Calibanibal posts insincerely and jokes all the time and that post appeared to be making fun of the hardcore crisis actor believers in CSPAM.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

lol, and then get probated for "spreading interforum drama", apparently. Nevermind that C-SPAM's genocide denial and nihilistic accelerationism seep constantly into other spaces.

It does a poo poo job at being a containment forum and I suspect it’ll become an incubator for something that does actually real harm but hey it drives avatar sales or something.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

mlmp08 posted:

Calibanibal posts insincerely and jokes all the time and that post appeared to be making fun of the hardcore crisis actor believers in CSPAM.

Look, if you're going to insist on adding context to things then it is seriously going to slow down the rate at which the definitely sincerely concerned can step on rakes.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah that was kinda my guess, but, like, Poe's Law.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
Nothing will happen to CSPAM until the third or fourth stochastic shooter.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

It does a poo poo job at being a containment forum and I suspect it’ll become an incubator for something that does actually real harm but hey it drives avatar sales or something.

Russia done pissed off NATO

With Whitey on the moon

CSPAM's Doorknob Slobber took Tiny's toe

And Whitey's on the moon

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

So Russia says Ukraine can ship grain out of Odessa and then starts bombing Odessa. Seems like good way to ensure no one negotiates with you again.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MH Knights posted:

So Russia says Ukraine can ship grain out of Odessa and then starts bombing Odessa. Seems like good way to ensure no one negotiates with you again.

Been saying this since day 1, but the only use Russia has for the negotiating table is to achieve tactical advantage on the battlefield. Their goal is the subjugation of all of Ukraine, the only terms they will seriously entertain are unconditional surrender. Viktor Orban's calls for negotiation today just underline how much of a Putin toadie he is.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I've always considered the inability to ignore IK the biggest quality of life issue these forums have. Especially since the management doesn't seem interested to curb CSPAM excesses

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Would love to know who is setting off incendiary shells over central Donetsk, which last I checked was under Russian control.

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1550936296926969856

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

mlmp08 posted:

How can you tell? If there were a thread on the Tulsa massacres where multiple posters "joked" that the city's Black population were just murdering one another to much "ironic" agreement from others who made zero effort to conceal their white supremacist feelings, would you give them the same benefit of the doubt? Isn't this whole thing the exact poo poo we see in alt-right forums?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I think our inter forums drama derail has runs its course. This thread is for discussion about Ukraine and it’s defense against Russian invaders. Please try to steer conversation back that way.

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Would love to know who is setting off incendiary shells over central Donetsk, which last I checked was under Russian control.

So uh... is that an attempt at starting a massive fire, or just some idiots putting whatever shells they can find into the gun before they relocate?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Nuclear Tourist posted:

An ammo dump probably got HIMARSed and the ensuing fire cooked off a bunch of incendiary Grad rockets. We've seen similar fireworks when other dumps have gone boom.

Jasper Tin Neck fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 24, 2022

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hekk posted:

I think our inter forums drama derail has runs its course. This thread is for discussion about Ukraine and it’s defense against Russian invaders. Please try to steer conversation back that way.

This thread is anti fascist, so maybe don't let fascists post in it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Oh wow someone actually willing to moderate a thread on these forums