Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I thought the general thrust of MM's storyline was fine. He was presenting a lame sanitized version of himself to his daughter and it was bad for their relationship. He punches Todd but ofc the daughter he loves will forgive him.

The OCD stuff was basically superfluous and as far as I could tell it was just a way to make the cum gag mean. Frenchie and Kimiko was definitely superfluous but at least we got dildos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
But we hate Todd, so MM losing control and punching him has no weight. The Black man who barely restrains violence until his mental health problems act up attacks a Matt Walsh fascist stand-in.

The show's edgy tone is ridiculous given its completely toothless politics. "Democrats suck, but Republicans are retard fascists so GO VOTE!" the show.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

If there's one thing the show advocates for, it's voting.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

No Wave posted:

The OCD stuff was basically superfluous and as far as I could tell it was just a way to make the cum gag mean.

MM's OCD was established in previous seasons.

Maybe I am alone in this, but I actually found his moment explaining it to Starlight touching and relatable. "I'm still that frightened kid, waking up in the middle of the night and checking the burners. Because if I don't, Soldier Boy is going to come back and kill my family."

I think the actor sold the emotion on this, of knowing some personal "rule" you have had for decades is completely irrational and embarrassing to even vocalize, but feeling powerless to put it down. And now that SB is back (in a way that, again, MM vaguely caused), he is off his meds and struggling.

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

But we hate Todd, so MM losing control and punching him has no weight.

No one cares about Todd. The weight is that his daughter saw her dad lose control and do something crazy (to her, not us) over supes, which is the behavior he saw in his Dad and has tried to hide from her.

I liked the season, but I do agree with the other criticisms. Frenchie and Kimiko felt pointless, prevaricating over the 'right way' to stop HL felt forced (for SL in particular), and MM's refusal to take V felt unjustified.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

The show's edgy tone is ridiculous given its completely toothless politics. "Democrats suck, but Republicans are retard fascists so GO VOTE!" the show.

You need to touch grass instead of reading too deep into every piece of entertainment out there

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It's bananas because of how the show explicitly portrays the government and electoral system as under control by the supes.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's bananas because of how the show explicitly portrays the government and electoral system as under control by the supes.

Right, but supes don't exist in the real world. The show's point is that the rich and powerful control everything but doing anything effective about it is worse.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

But we hate Todd, so MM losing control and punching him has no weight. The Black man who barely restrains violence until his mental health problems act up attacks a Matt Walsh fascist stand-in.

I think the Victoria Neuman plot is explicitly a rejection of the “just go vote!” Idea. The system is inherently compromised

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
The system is compromised, but engaging in violence, illegal activity, allying with ugly subaltern groups, or playing by the other sides rules is unacceptable. When they go low we go high.

As a consolation prize for buying into this impotent cynicism, you get to swear and see gory violence.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

The system is compromised, but engaging in violence, illegal activity, allying with ugly subaltern groups, or playing by the other sides rules is unacceptable. When they go low we go high.

As a consolation prize for buying into this impotent cynicism, you get to swear and see gory violence.

You are so incredibly woke, why are you watching Amazon shows and taking about them instead of engaging in direct action

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The show would be better if the show runners stopped trying to make Homelander trump. Vought are the bad guys not him.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Right, but supes don't exist in the real world. The show's point is that the rich and powerful control everything but doing anything effective about it is worse.

imo the last seasons ending is pointing out that if you are sacrificing the future of America (Ryan) by using nuclear weapons (soldier boys energy blast) then you've destroyed the entire reason for killing Homelander.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 22, 2022

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Having just finished it, some of the writing of the characters turned into such dog poo poo. I still overall love the show, but none of that poo poo made any sense. So Soldier Boy bad, but how the hell else are they going to kill Homelander? Can someone explain what they are going to be able to achieve without the guy with the magical "turn off supe powers button?" He was a huge rear end in a top hat like all supes in the show, but at no point did I think "wow, this guy is worse than Homelander, better make sure he's taken care of first." Welp good job guys, have fun dealing with Homelander and now his kid, thanks to Butcher loving up and driving him into Homelander's arms and the only guy currently capable of killing him on ice.

Homelander at the very least does not appear to be invincible, but one of the people that was able to draw blood on him is now depowered and off the table. I just don't know where the gently caress they are going to go from here without writing in some deus ex machina, and the longer Homelander lets any of these people live, the more difficult it's going to be to suspend my disbelief.

Show is very entertaining and the actors are all bringing their A game, I just hope the writers can make some sense of what's going on and what the hell "the right way" to do things is, because from what I can tell MM thought that the right way was to go punch Soldier Boy and get annihilated instantly.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

christmas boots posted:

you have no idea what you've started

(tents fingers, idiotically) "did we ever consider that it is merely earwax dribbling from butcher's ears? I think this is possible because we never see him bathing (therefore likely to have a buildup of cerumen), and his temp-v power would obviously warm up his head( and therefore eat canals) causing his earwax to flow heavily in a way similar to ear candling, a process credited to ancient Egyptians, but actually started by David Lynch in a somewhat famous meta-prank on paparazzi wherein he (...) "

e: Ceruman would be a great name from an earwax based supe

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

fatherboxx posted:

You are so incredibly woke, why are you watching Amazon shows and taking about them instead of engaging in direct action

lol I don't care about wokeness or whatever, I think the show's cynicism is unearned given its saccharine and toothless (plus borderline nonsensical) plot. There's literally a rapist character played for laughs. Have something to say!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

boo_radley posted:

(tents fingers, idiotically) "did we ever consider that it is merely earwax dribbling from butcher's ears? I think this is possible because we never see him bathing (therefore likely to have a buildup of cerumen), and his temp-v power would obviously warm up his head( and therefore eat canals) causing his earwax to flow heavily in a way similar to ear candling, a process credited to ancient Egyptians, but actually started by David Lynch in a somewhat famous meta-prank on paparazzi wherein he (...) "

e: Ceruman would be a great name from an earwax based supe

Butcher is a robot and that was oil

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

christmas boots posted:

Butcher is a robot and that was oil

Sir, are you aware that you are leaking coolant at an alarming rate?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
They try I guess, and sometimes the political stuff works. Often it doesn’t.
This is a major triumph. I know I’ve said similar before but just to take the source material and make it something generally entertaining was a win. Anything past that is gravy. By that metric, they’re crushing it.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

AlternateAccount posted:

I know I’ve said similar before but just to take the source material and make it something generally entertaining was a win. Anything past that is gravy. By that metric, they’re crushing it.

Pretty much this. If you think the show is politically vacuous you should read the comic. And the show is positively gentle when it comes to r*pe stuff in comparison as well.

I do always wish for more Serge and Kimiko, but I almost cried at the musical number that happened in her head in Season 3. She wants so badly to communicate and speak and sing and her trauma continues to prevent it, and it's such an improvement on how absolutely nothing her character was in the comic.

Yeah, the show has its flaws, but considering its source material it's impressive that they've made this good a show out of it.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Not to put down the writers of the show but asset stripping the comic is not a difficult thing to do. The comic had an interesting world and characters but it's all wasted because of Ennis' edgy humour and lazy storytelling dragged it down.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I appreciated that they excised the raping dog, but still included a little wink wink reference “for the fans.”

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I tuned out that fucker when he picked loving Dresden as his example of a worthwhile thing for a good cause.

Dawg, you have an entire bombing campaign against the Nazis to choose from, and your example is the one with the least military consequences and the most civilian casualties. Out of an entire war against the most evil regime in history, you picked one of the tiny handfuls of occasions where the Nazis might have a case for war crimes against the Allies. Yeah, Nazis, so it comes out a wash on the whole war, but why use that as your example.

You’d have to be really unlucky, a complete idiot or have a very specific axe to grind to bring that up. What the gently caress.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

I found this season pretty uninteresting and flawed.

The central conflict is between Butcher/Hughie and Starlight/MM/Frenchie/The Female over whether doing whatever it takes to kill Homelander is justified as opposed to doing it the "right" way, where the "right" way shifts according to plot convenience. The latter group does not want to hurt any innocent people, work with any supes they dislike, or take drugs to even the scale. This tension can work in stories about war or other personal goals, but Homelander is an existential threat to human civilization and to the continuation of life on Earth. Starlight knows this, he has explicitly threatened to destroy everything to her. Moreover, if Homelander actually focused on the Boys he could destroy them instantly. The idea that it is wrong to kill some of the people in Vought just rings entirely false. It feels like a series trying to argue the bombing of Dresden was the great moral crime of the 20th century. MM refuses to work with Soldier Boy for personal reasons (sure, fine) but also refuses to take V becuase "no one should have that power". How are you going to get rid of them without doing so? Humans are completely ungunned. The Black Panthers were inspired by Malcolm X's advocacy of by any means necessary.

Nobody except Butcher has an over-riding "must kill Homelander at all costs" motivation, at least not when the cost involves several hundred innocent people. Homelander to them is a murderous rear end in a top hat rapist but it's a big stretch to call him a threat to all life on Earth. How many people has he killed that The Boys even know about? Probably less than bringing down Vought tower would.

So he's a massive threat, but one that can be managed (or simply left to other people in the case of Frenchie and Kimiko) rather than confronted. Confrontation only increases the risk of him going nuclear.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
Has jack quaid apologized for his father Randy's crimes'?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Jabronie posted:

What

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Has Jack Quaid acknowledged the sins of his father Randy, who--like an alabaster serpent covered in bruises--slithered around the streets of "Tinseltown", soliciting countless tourists for forbidden medications to his many ailments? Has Jack Quaid done little more than cry a single reptile tear for his papa Randy?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Jabronie posted:

Wrong Quaid.
I did not know that Meg Ryan is his mother though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Jabronie posted:

No, and he hasn't apologized for his Uncle Randy's crimes either!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

mcbexx posted:

Wrong Quaid.
I did not know that Meg Ryan is his mother though.

Once you see it though, you can’t unsee it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Wouldn’t it be crazy if Russell Crowe turned out to be his father

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Russell Crowe disguised himself as a bottle of Vicodin and lured Randy into putting a baby in it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Xiahou Dun posted:

I tuned out that fucker when he picked loving Dresden as his example of a worthwhile thing for a good cause.

Dresden is a Nazi dogwhistle, and that's what he's calling out. It gets brought up as the "what about American war crimes", rather than Hiroshima or Hamburg, because it was cited by Nazi propaganda.

The Boys so far hasn't taken a stance on whether the characters can win without compromising their morals. The show has said that voting doesn't work, but so far fighting with honour and trying to win at all costs both haven't paid off.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Edit : Whatever, I'm too pissed for this conversation.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 23, 2022

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

is this supposed to be a bad deal?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Chamale posted:

Dresden is a Nazi dogwhistle, and that's what he's calling out. It gets brought up as the "what about American war crimes", rather than Hiroshima or Hamburg, because it was cited by Nazi propaganda.

The Boys so far hasn't taken a stance on whether the characters can win without compromising their morals. The show has said that voting doesn't work, but so far fighting with honour and trying to win at all costs both haven't paid off.

Famously the Nazis (and subsequent Holocaust deniers like David Irving) have claimed that hundreds of thousands of people died — the actual number was around 25,000

Which is still bad and there’s absolutely a lot you can point to say that it was war crime against a civilian population, but it also has a particular legacy for the Nazis vastly inflating a figure that passed into the public consciousness (even in Vonnegaut’s works) for a very long time before the real number came out

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

christmas boots posted:

Famously the Nazis (and subsequent Holocaust deniers like David Irving) have claimed that hundreds of thousands of people died — the actual number was around 25,000

I just checked and you're right.

Disturbingly enough, before your post, I thought the figure was "200,000" and had no idea that was propaganda.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The inflated numbers are used in slaughterhouse v which doesn't help anything

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

yea like people thinking 6 million people were murdered during the holocaust

it was around 11 million

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Why are some people ITT so confident that Black Noir is returning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ZearothK posted:

Why are some people ITT so confident that Black Noir is returning?

Interviews with the creatives that spoiled that the actor was returning, though with some variation in terms of the performance / who he's meant to be playing under the suit/whatever.